What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins trying to trade Devin Thomas (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
The Redskins are actively working to trade WR Devin Thomas, according to the National Football Post.

Thomas has been buried on the depth chart and relegated to a special teams role ever since coach Mike Shanahan arrived. The underachieving 2008 second-round pick still has plenty of upside if he gets a change of scenery. Still, his inability to move past names like Joey Galloway and Anthony Armstrong speaks volumes. Perhaps the Redskins could coax a team like the Rams, Seahawks or Vikings into giving up a late-round pick for a flier on Thomas. Oct. 4 - 12:18 pm et

Source: National Football Post

as bad as our WRs are, why not play Fred Davis more? I know he had that one bad drop, but he proved to be a solid weapon last year in Cooley's absence.

as bad as our WRs are, why not play Fred Davis more? I know he had that one bad drop, but he proved to be a solid weapon last year in Cooley's absence.
He had a bad drop?Also, he's been in there plenty. He'd have had a TD yesterday if McNabb didn't over throw him.

Davis almost had a TD yesterday. he needs more play time.

no idea what the story is with Thomas. he returns kicks and thats it?? they just signed brandon banks and this dude has been on the team for what 3 years now and has a total of 7 catches?

why did we waste a pick on him in the first place

I wonder if any team has a spare bag of peanuts they could ship over to Washington. How can you actively try and trade a bum that isn't worth a 7th round pick?

Doc - I was thinking the same thing. I don't get it.

He hasn't even seen a snap on offense, just the special teams stuff.

I don't get why they haven't given him a chance - is he that bad?

:unsure: We should be trading for a WR, not giving one away. Joey Galloway? Roydell Williams? :lmao:
I just don't get why they won't give Thomas SOME offensive snaps.All this talk about him not being better than the guys ahead of him or speculation that he "doesn't know the playbook" is complete BS IMO.I'm suppose to believe that the guy is that dumb that he can't figure out the playbook? As a coaching staff you can't come up with a package of plays that he can handle and get him on the field to see what he can do? Sorry, I'm not buying it. There has to be something else there. There are the rumors that Shanny is still holding a grudge from the fact that Thomas missed some of the off-season workouts to do a music video shoot. I don't want to think that a NFL head coach would be so petty as to hold that against him for this long but it's more believable to me than the other reasoning.If the guy is as bad as they seem to think and say he is then they should have cut him. To leave him on the roster and not let him see the field in favor of guys like Williams, Galloway, and even Armstrong is inexcusable to me. He CANT give you much less production than the first two. If he's that bad then put it on tape for everyone to see and at least we don't have to wonder anymore. And I don't want to hear anything about that hurting his trade value. They aren't gonna get much better than a conditional late round pick regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbdown: We should be trading for a WR, not giving one away. Joey Galloway? Roydell Williams? :X
I just don't get why they won't give Thomas SOME offensive snaps.All this talk about him not being better than the guys ahead of him or speculation that he "doesn't know the playbook" is complete BS IMO.I'm suppose to believe that the guy is that dumb that he can't figure out the playbook? As a coaching staff you can't come up with a package of plays that he can handle and get him on the field to see what he can do? Sorry, I'm not buying it. There has to be something else there. There are the rumors that Shanny is still holding a grudge from the fact that Thomas missed some of the off-season workouts to do a music video shoot. I don't want to think that a NFL head coach would be so petty as to hold that against him for this long but it's more believable to me than the other reasoning.If the guy is as bad as they seem to think and say he is then they should have cut him. To leave him on the roster and not let him see the field in favor of guys like Williams, Galloway, and even Armstrong is inexcusable to me. He CANT give you much less production than the first two. If he's that bad then put it on tape for everyone to see and at least we don't have to wonder anymore. And I don't want to hear anything about that hurting his trade value. They aren't gonna get much better than a conditional late round pick regardless.
I don't know why they couldn't just get him on the field to run some fly routes. I mean, hell that's all Armstrong does. Is he really too dumb to just run really fast toward the endzone?Ah, it's just such a disappointment. He looked like he was turning the corner last season during the saints game.

I think some team will toss them a 7th round pick.

I'm guessing they need the roster spot for a RB now with Portis' injury.

Armstrong has been looking better and better to me and now this.

Just a case of a new regime cleaning out the roster IMO and hoping they can get something back even at a garage sale price. I'll be really surprised if D Thomas ever becomes an impact player. Just another guy wasting his career. :thumbdown:

I don't get all of the outrage. It's gotta be fantasy driven.

He's a big, fast dude. Some of those guys can be converted into NFL WRs and some can't. It's time to just acknowledge he's very likely in the latter category. He has concentration lapses. His routes are sloppy. He doesn't get open in general. You might get a pass on some of that stuff as a talented rookie, not as a 3rd year player.

Why should the Skins be forced to play him if he's not as good as the other guys? They are in the winning football games business, not the "let's spend all of our energy trying maximize our players" business. If he was better than Galloway, he'd be playing in front of Galloway (which is exactly what Shannahan has been saying since day one - I'm guessing he'd LOVE to upgrade Galloway if there was a real upgrade available).

I wonder if any team has a spare bag of peanuts they could ship over to Washington. How can you actively try and trade a bum that isn't worth a 7th round pick?
The Panthers offered a vending machine size pack of Planters. Skins are holding out for a large bag of David's sunflower seeds. Panthers aren't willing to go that deep into their pockets just yet.Talk about a non story...

The Redskins are actively working to trade WR Devin Thomas, according to the National Football Post.Thomas has been buried on the depth chart and relegated to a special teams role ever since coach Mike Shanahan arrived. The underachieving 2008 second-round pick still has plenty of upside if he gets a change of scenery. Still, his inability to move past names like Joey Galloway and Anthony Armstrong speaks volumes. Perhaps the Redskins could coax a team like the Rams, Seahawks or Vikings into giving up a late-round pick for a flier on Thomas. Oct. 4 - 12:18 pm etSource: National Football Post
Burying him behind the likes of Joey Galloway and Roydell Williams is a great way to increase his trade value.

He's a big, fast dude. Some of those guys can be converted into NFL WRs and some can't. It's time to just acknowledge he's very likely in the latter category. He has concentration lapses. His routes are sloppy. He doesn't get open in general. You might get a pass on some of that stuff as a talented rookie, not as a 3rd year player.

Why should the Skins be forced to play him if he's not as good as the other guys? They are in the winning football games business, not the "let's spend all of our energy trying maximize our players" business. If he was better than Galloway, he'd be playing in front of Galloway (which is exactly what Shannahan has been saying since day one - I'm guessing he'd LOVE to upgrade Galloway if there was a real upgrade available).
It's not FF driven at all in my case. It's based on my opinion that when you have a young player who has shown flashes of potential he should be given an opportunity over washed up veterans who have proven to not produce on the field.Yes, Thomas has been inconsistent over his first 2 years in the league but that happens with a lot of WRs. This year, he hasnt been on the field so there is not way you accurately make the bolded statements unless you are at practice everyday. I work about 10 minutes from Redskins HQ and went to at least a half a dozen practices during training camp. During team drills, Thomas made as many or more plays than any of the WRs not names Santana Moss. Obviously, I'm not at practice every day either but the beat reporters and local media guys who attend the open parts of practice tend to think that Thomas deserves a shot as well.

You say he's not as good as the other guys BUT we don't know that. The other guys have combined for 6 catches in 4 games. Thomas hasn't even had 6 offnesive snaps. Shanahan and his coaching staff know more about football than I do but they are not perfect either. They are human and make mistakes. IMHO it's a mistake to not at least put Thomas on the field more and see what he can do rather than just say he's not as good as a 38 year old and a 29 year old who have PROVEN that at this point in their careers they offer nothing.

Shanny and the other coaches get to watch Thomas in practice all the time, and they decided he's not playing as well as any of the other guys. I was (and still am, sorta) a big fan of Thomas' physical talent but there is something seriously wrong with him if he simply can't get on the field.

This screams to me "Brandon Lloyd". You know that guy we had sitting on our bench for a couple of years we never gave much of a chance to saying "he can't catch" and similar things about who is now doing great in Denver. Lloyd didn't play because of the head coach too.

First AH now DT. Seems lots of our guys have been getting the treatment since Shanny took control. Is he the problem or is DT really that bad? I don't think DT is not playing because of his skills, I believe its got everything to do with the offseason program. Shanny's a ruler with an iron fist and the saying "Don't cross the boss" applies. There is no chance the best player we have to put out opposite Moss is Roydell Williams or Galloway who have done nothing all season. DT should be on the field playing but until he gets out of the coaches doghouse he never will. Sucks but thats the way it goes

Shanny and the other coaches get to watch Thomas in practice all the time, and they decided he's not playing as well as any of the other guys. I was (and still am, sorta) a big fan of Thomas' physical talent but there is something seriously wrong with him if he simply can't get on the field.
He can do great in practice and still never touch the field it's not his choice. I recall Taylor Jacobs was one of the best practice players we ever had, but in games he completely disappeared. You need to know what DT can do in games, not in practice. You don't know this without game time expirence. DT didn't get any Preseason expirence until the 4th preseason game and has yet to play in 4 weeks. I don't think they even want to give him a chance.

So why would anyone trade for a guy thats 5th on the depth chart and doesn't even do the job he was supposed to (return kicks) anymore? Redskins are cutting him soon.

So why would anyone trade for a guy thats 5th on the depth chart and doesn't even do the job he was supposed to (return kicks) anymore? Redskins are cutting him soon.
Do you think for a minute that Shanny or Allen can withstand the backlash and critism if they did cut the kid and he goes on to do well for another team with our WR group looking so old and bad? I don't see us cutting him because the monday morning QB would never end if we did

Do you think for a minute that Shanny or Allen can withstand the backlash and critism if they did cut the kid and he goes on to do well for another team with our WR group looking so old and bad? I don't see us cutting him because the monday morning QB would never end if we did
That aside, who is going to give them even a 7th round pick when he's been continually demoted throughout the offseason and regular season?

:thumbdown: We should be trading for a WR, not giving one away. Joey Galloway? Roydell Williams? :X
He looked pretty darn good against the Saints last year.

It's not FF driven at all in my case. It's based on my opinion that when you have a young player who has shown flashes of potential he should be given an opportunity over washed up veterans who have proven to not produce on the field.Yes, Thomas has been inconsistent over his first 2 years in the league but that happens with a lot of WRs. This year, he hasnt been on the field so there is not way you accurately make the bolded statements unless you are at practice everyday. I work about 10 minutes from Redskins HQ and went to at least a half a dozen practices during training camp. During team drills, Thomas made as many or more plays than any of the WRs not names Santana Moss. Obviously, I'm not at practice every day either but the beat reporters and local media guys who attend the open parts of practice tend to think that Thomas deserves a shot as well.

You say he's not as good as the other guys BUT we don't know that. The other guys have combined for 6 catches in 4 games. Thomas hasn't even had 6 offnesive snaps. Shanahan and his coaching staff know more about football than I do but they are not perfect either. They are human and make mistakes. IMHO it's a mistake to not at least put Thomas on the field more and see what he can do rather than just say he's not as good as a 38 year old and a 29 year old who have PROVEN that at this point in their careers they offer nothing.
I hear ya.You are right, I don't know for sure what is going on at practice. The only guys who have seen all of the practices are on the coaching staff - and they have determined that he isn't as good as the other WRs on the team. I know they aren't perfect, but they aren't bad either. Shannahan is NOT afraid to play a young guy (e.g. Eddie Royal). And we HAVE seen what I mentioned in the previous two years during which all of the young guys were definitely given very legit opportunities to display their stuff.

As for the beat reporters and local media, I think their opinions are worth about as much as ours are. That could have a little more insight in some areas, but they are also very subject to bias and homerism. The best player on any team is always the backup QB (until he gets in there). In this case, I think that has been extended to a backup WR. They just see a big, fast WR on a team that sorely needs a big fast WR. But like I said before, that guy has to actually be able to PLAY WR for that to work.

Again, "flashes" are great for a year or two. After that, you want to see production and effectiveness. In games if possible of course, but if you haven't been good enough to get in the games, you had to show what you have in practice (which becomes harder in the middle of the season). Apparently, Thomas hasn't done that.

:shock:

We should be trading for a WR, not giving one away. Joey Galloway? Roydell Williams? :wub:
I just don't get why they won't give Thomas SOME offensive snaps.All this talk about him not being better than the guys ahead of him or speculation that he "doesn't know the playbook" is complete BS IMO.

I'm suppose to believe that the guy is that dumb that he can't figure out the playbook? As a coaching staff you can't come up with a package of plays that he can handle and get him on the field to see what he can do? Sorry, I'm not buying it. There has to be something else there. There are the rumors that Shanny is still holding a grudge from the fact that Thomas missed some of the off-season workouts to do a music video shoot. I don't want to think that a NFL head coach would be so petty as to hold that against him for this long but it's more believable to me than the other reasoning.

If the guy is as bad as they seem to think and say he is then they should have cut him. To leave him on the roster and not let him see the field in favor of guys like Williams, Galloway, and even Armstrong is inexcusable to me. He CANT give you much less production than the first two. If he's that bad then put it on tape for everyone to see and at least we don't have to wonder anymore. And I don't want to hear anything about that hurting his trade value. They aren't gonna get much better than a conditional late round pick regardless.
:goodposting: Brandon Banks was on the active roster all of a couple of days, yet Shanahan managed to feature him on two plays: a sweep & a WR screen. While Thomas has only played one offensive snap. The earliest camp reports I remember seeing always had him behind Armstrong, Williams, etc. For whatever reason I don't believe that he received a fair chance.

He had a bad drop?Also, he's been in there plenty. He'd have had a TD yesterday if McNabb didn't over throw him.
That miss was on Davis. He turned around and his feet got all confused when all he needed to do was keep running and catch the ball.

That miss was on Davis. He turned around and his feet got all confused when all he needed to do was keep running and catch the ball.
:goodposting:

This screams to me "Brandon Lloyd". You know that guy we had sitting on our bench for a couple of years we never gave much of a chance to saying "he can't catch" and similar things about who is now doing great in Denver. Lloyd didn't play because of the head coach too.
So the head coaches for the 49ers, Redskins, Bears and Broncos (last year) all didn't like him?

BusterTBronco said:
Devin Thomas? Oh yeah. We're very high on Devin Thomas. We just can't get him on the field with our many talented playmakers but we think he'd be great on YOUR team.

:shrug:
:thumbup:

BusterTBronco said:
I can just imagine the sales pitch the Redskins are making to other teams right now.

Devin Thomas? Oh yeah. We're very high on Devin Thomas. We just can't get him on the field with our many talented playmakers but we think he'd be great on YOUR team.

:thumbdown:
This reminds me of the David Gerrard FF trade video from a while back. :goodposting:

BusterTBronco said:
I can just imagine the sales pitch the Redskins are making to other teams right now.

:rolleyes:
This reminds me of the David Gerrard FF trade video from a while back. :lmao:
Include him in a trade for Vincent Jackson.

BusterTBronco said:

:rolleyes:
This reminds me of the David Gerrard FF trade video from a while back. :lmao:
Include him in a trade for Vincent Jackson.
What part of that trade should he be included in? Should he be the ice-breaking singing telegram from Allen to A.J. Smith?

Users who are viewing this thread