What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Bush - Take a Chance, Roll the Dice? Maybe now's the time. (1 Viewer)

ty247

Footballguy
Early in his career we saw a lot of dancing around, little power and leg drive while running the ball.. he was talented and he was ultra-hyped.

People evaluated his play and came to the conclusion that he was unable to run between the tackles and people questioned his toughness. Which was a very fair conclusion given his body of work.

The last two years however, I've seen a bit of a different Reggie <when he wasn't hurt>. I've seen a runner that will lower the shoulder at times, and a runner with some leg drive and I've seen an increased YPC.. The sad thing is he hasn't shaken that injury bug.

Because of the injury riddled career so far, it's at this point that he has been mostly forgotten about.

What he has going for him:

He's still only 26.

He's getting a fresh start in a new place, sometimes that alone is refreshing for a player.

He's on a Miami team that likes to run the ball, with an offensive line that can be a good unit

He has been named the starter and he wants to be the feature back.

It seemed like he was starting to 'get it' as a running back before being injured last year.

We really still do not know what we have with Daniel Thomas.. will he be able to come into the league and make a difference, and stay injury free himself..

too often rookies are overvalued and end up not getting as big a role as some of us expect.

Here we have Daniel Thomas rocking an ADP 4-5 rounds higher than what Reggie is going.

People are just expecting Daniel Thomas is going to run the ball 300 times and that DThomas is going to be the main guy and everyone's totally writing off Reggie.

While of course Reggie carries a great risk of injury, there's also some upside potential if he manages to stay injury free and continues to improve (especially in PPR leagues)

I'd like to hear what others have to think about it.. Call me dumb, hate on Reggie, I'm just trying to think outside the box because I haven't even seen his name come up in any sleepers/undervalued articles I've read around the interwebz.

Being a Dolphin fan....I hope your right.

Otherwise. I am passing in a redraft unless I can take a late flier....but someone will draft him in my local redraft too early...because they are a Dolphin fan.

I think he will see a ton of red zone action to create mis-matches. Reggie has had a lot of success in the red zone IIRC.

I agree he can be a sneaky PPR value pick as an RB3 this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
wouldn't touch him in non PPRs.

In PPRs he's worth a look...ADP is still about one round too high for my taste.

I agree. Thomas has shown no signGive s of of making a huge impact. Reggie is going to make some big plays as a receiver. Give him 10-12 carries a game and you are getting a huge steal in the 8th-10th round. I think he has a good chance to finish aound a low end #2 rb.

Can't see how he's not worth a chance when you're getting him in the late 8th through early tenth round. I'd be surprised if he couldn't live up to that draft position.

Can't see how he's not worth a chance when you're getting him in the late 8th through early tenth round. I'd be surprised if he couldn't live up to that draft position.
In a 12 teamm PPR 1/2/3 I definitely like him in the 10th. I would consider him in the 8th depending on who's available and how the RBs are going in the draft.

If he could not find running lanes to go through with Drew Brees, I don't see many lanes with Chad Hene or Matt Moore. i also don't see how he can get more targets in the passing game then he did in Sean Payton's offense.

So he has been given the nod over Thomas for sure?
He's listed as the starting running back on the depth chart and he was outspoken about being given the chance at being the feature back.Here's another thing to consider guys.. He didn't play in the first preseason game, only furthering his overshadowed and underestimated status.If he comes out in the next few preseason games and shows explosion and toughness and Thomas doesn't show much you may have lost your window in buying low and an increase in his ADP

I'm not a fan of Daniel Thomas at all. I think he's going to be a bust for fantasy owners this year. I wouldn't mind Bush for a cheap price. He'll be decent.

I grabbed him as a RB4 in a PPR. If everything work out, I hope he doesn't reach my lineup more than once or twice. I expect a lot of the same as NO; 4-5 rushes for ~30 yards, another 4-5 catches for ~40 yards and maybe a TD every few games. I think upside is 100-110 total yards a game and 5-8 total TDs; doubt it though.

Could he be a poor man's Jamaal Charles?
No, he hasn't shown what Charles has already proven to us.We cannot even put the two in the same conversation right now and probably never.However, what if he is just another McFadden but simply took a few years longer to develop? That isn't out of the realm of possibility.Both had questions about their physicality, ability to run between the tackles, toughness was questioned, injury/nicked up problems..Of course it's a long shot, but for a pick in the 9th/10th round I'm willing to gamble.

I can't remember if it was two or three seasons ago, but through about 8 games he was the #1 overall point scorer that year. That said, it was at least one microfracture surgery ago and it was with the Saints. I would consider him with my RB5 pick, but probably no higher.

If he could not find running lanes to go through with Drew Brees, I don't see many lanes with Chad Hene or Matt Moore. i also don't see how he can get more targets in the passing game then he did in Sean Payton's offense.
:goodposting:

He gets to play the Bills twice, Cleveland, Denver and Oakland...

At the first pre-season game, I didn't see anything from Daniel Thomas, but he only got a couple carries. My early guess is that the Dolphins will struggle offensively and have to try and get him more touches as an "explosive" option.

I don't know how much of it was finding running lanes, as much as it was not taking what was there and more so trying to always make the big play early on in his career and New Orleans hasn't exactly been all world at running the ball either.Here's the teams YPC average over the last 5 years in relation to Reggies YPC.2006 Saints 3.7 ypc (Reggie - 3.6 ypc)2007 Saints 3.7 ypc (Reggie - 3.7 ypc)2008 Saints 4.0 ypc (Reggie - 3.8 ypc)2009 Saints 4.5 ypc (Reggie - 5.6 ypc)2010 Saints 4.0 ypc (Reggie - 4.2 ypc)I've seen an improved runner the last two years on limited carries(because of injuries) and we've seen a much better YPC by him showing that.Whether he can put it all together and stay healthy in Miami, no one knows yet.

First pre-season game for Reggie and he's looking pretty good.

It also looks like he has put on a bit of weight but hasn't lost very much speed.. any word from Dolphin insiders? has he bulked up a bit?

Bush looked great tonight. Make no mistake he will be featured by the Dolphins this year.

It is just a matter of staying healthy for Reggie.

Bush looked great tonight. Make no mistake he will be featured by the Dolphins this year. It is just a matter of staying healthy for Reggie.
And that's why I wouldn't overpay. I respect the kid, he's a good talent, but he's not very tough, and you just know he's gonna miss time at some point.

Bush looked great tonight. Make no mistake he will be featured by the Dolphins this year. It is just a matter of staying healthy for Reggie.
And that's why I wouldn't overpay. I respect the kid, he's a good talent, but he's not very tough, and you just know he's gonna miss time at some point.
I don't disagree. I would be looking at 7th...8th round. But down here where I live....he will go in the 5th or 6th. There is always that guy in a local redraft who donates money every year.

I pretty much feel like this too - he did look great tonight, but I wouldn't feel comfortable drafting him as much more than a RB4.

I will definitely consider him in the 8th-9th round range, but Im starting to feel like I should follow the path of Blackjacks :unsure:

I can, if you remember he was used sparingly in paytons offense and Reggie actually complained about that..... this is one reason Im not as high on ingram as some are, Rbs go in and out in paytons offense. Before I get the rip on what I said I do realize that Bush was injured alot but even after he came back the last two years, the saints seemed to use him as a 3rd down back. I think Miami May actually be a nice change of pace for him and he may be good value in rounds 7-10 in redraft ppr and could be a good rb3

Rotoworld

Reggie Bush ran for 48 yards on eight carries and caught two passes for 33 yards in his Dolphins preseason debut Friday.

Bush started, and gave Miami a spark at the position they've lacked since Ronnie Brown's prime. The ten touches in under two quarters indicate featuring Bush is indeed part of the design under new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. Bush looked quick and exploded through lanes, even running hard inside the tackles. We doubt he'll hold up on a heavy workload, but the team is giving him every opportunity. It's worth noting Bush was removed inside the five-yard line for Daniel Thomas. Thomas was stuffed twice before Lex Hilliard came on and executed. Bush will open the season as the Dolphins' starter, but won't get goal-line work.

Rotoworld never missing a chance to slant a stat line

Daniel Thomas - RB - Dolphins

Daniel Thomas ran for 52 yards and a touchdown on 12 carries in the Dolphins' second preseason game Friday night.

Thomas still seems to be getting used to the speed of the game, and he was stuffed twice after replacing Reggie Bush at the goal line when working with Miami's first-team offense. Thomas did look quick and decisive on one 10-yard second-quarter run up the gut, but we're not close to sold on him as a bankable fantasy asset. Bush will play ahead of him to open the season.

Aug. 19 - 9:42 p.m. ET

the more i think about it, Reggie could be pretty good value this year.

Bottom line: he's been somewhat of a disappointment in his NFL career. This weighs heavily on his mind. This is his 2nd chance. He can be "mostly the man" in Miami. He's gonna be very motivated, imo. IF he stays healthy, he will be a good RB2.

i think the biggest upside is he is trying to win Kim K back....so he wants to impress her and be an NFL stud

thats a very good ASSet

My draft was last night. I'm in a non PPR league, so to tell the truth Reggie Bush wasn't even on my radar. Yet suddenly it's the 10th round (16 rounds total) and I'm looking at my list of available running backs, and there he is. FBG says he's going to get 15-20 touches a game. So I think to myself, why the Hell not?

Hope it works out.

It all boils down to his health. His career FPPG is high enough to warrant being a solid RB2 despite being used poorly in NO.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't catch 60+ passes this season and if he even scares 200 carries he will threaten the back end of RB1's.

All this talk of being too scary in round 7 to take a chance on.....I ask you to show me another RB in that round that won't require an injury to even be a solid RB2?

Don't sleep on Reggie....,...

He's also been staying about an hour late every practice running sprints, pushing the sled and catching passes from the Jugs machine. His motivation is a 10/10.

Outside of Felix Jones, no RB has jumped up my rankings faster in the last month.

It all boils down to his health. His career FPPG is high enough to warrant being a solid RB2 despite being used poorly in NO.I'll be shocked if he doesn't catch 60+ passes this season and if he even scares 200 carries he will threaten the back end of RB1's. All this talk of being too scary in round 7 to take a chance on.....I ask you to show me another RB in that round that won't require an injury to even be a solid RB2?Don't sleep on Reggie....,...He's also been staying about an hour late every practice running sprints, pushing the sled and catching passes from the Jugs machine. His motivation is a 10/10.Outside of Felix Jones, no RB has jumped up my rankings faster in the last month.
And has there been a positive report on Daniel Thomas at all so far??I love Reggie in a PPR and where you'll get him isnt that bad for what he can bring in the recieving alone

I'm on the Reggie train now. I feel like 120 carries for 500 yards rushing and 60rec 600 receving yards isn't outlandish at all. And 5-6 tds are completely reasonable when you consider him breaking 2-3 plus a few from passing play in the red zone. And honestly, those numbers are conservative. It's a question of health for me. If he's there in the 8th, I probably want to take a chance on him in a PPR.

By most accounts (and especially Sun-Sentinel beat writer Omar Kelly), Daniel Thomas has looked very mediocre in camp. He tweeted earlier that he thinks the Larry Johnson signing is a direct reflection of the disappointment the Dolphins feel toward Thomas so far. If Thomas continues not to meet expectations, it can only mean that Bush's workload would increase.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2011/08/tuesday-afternoon-buffet-of-knowledge.html

I suppose you questions surrounding Larry Johnson include wanting to know why him and not Ricky Williams or Ronnie Brown. Fair.

It seems the Dolphins view Johnson much differently than either Ricky or Ronnie. They were starter types for Miami. Johnson is merely a backup addition.

"Yeah I think a different set of circumstances at that time," coach Tony Sparano said. "You know, I mean really different. I don’t think we’re really talking about the same situation right now. This is something three weeks into training camp here or whatever it is, four weeks into training camp and we’re making a decision to do and again Reggie Bush is going to be the first runner out the gate here. I mean he’s going to be the starting running back. That’s what we’re doing so this is a different deal here, different role totally."

That doesn't mean Johnson won't be allowed to rise to the importance of a Ricky or Ronnie, but that's not the situation right now.

Am I crazy for taking Reggie at 5.10? Its PPR and we have a flex spot. I already have DMac and Felix to start. Beanie, Hightower, BGE, Addai, Tolbert and Marshawn were the RB's that were left.

Users who are viewing this thread