What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Reggie Bush Thread *** (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
Pure speculation here. I was watching Cold Pizza and Michael Smith (I think thats who it was) was talking about Reggie Bush assuming the Texans draft him. He said the Texans dont view Bush as a 20-25 carry a game type RB and are looking for a coach who will be able to get Bush the ball in as many creative ways as possible without being the fulltime back. For example they want to split him out a number of times a game and also have him share time in the backfield with Davis and send him out as an outlet. Basically get him the ball other ways besides only running. It seems from the way he was talking Davis would still be the #1 RB next year getting the majority of the carries. Now who the hell knows if he was making this stuff up or he actually heard some of this stuff but its fun to discuss. Especially for those morons trading LT for Bush in dynasty leagues ;)

See, this is the problem I have with the Texans taking Bush. Or really any team taking him #1 for that matter, if he is not slotted to be the every-down starting RB from day 1.Why would you want to spend $50 million on a player who is going to touch the ball 12-15 times a game? It doesn't make sense. Either draft Bush #1 and make him the every down back, a la Faulk in Indy/St. Louis, who gets 15-18 carries and 5-6 catches minimum per game, or draft a QB or OT and let someone else overpay Bush.

See, this is the problem I have with the Texans taking Bush. Or really any team taking him #1 for that matter, if he is not slotted to be the every-down starting RB from day 1.

Why would you want to spend $50 million on a player who is going to touch the ball 12-15 times a game? It doesn't make sense. Either draft Bush #1 and make him the every down back, a la Faulk in Indy/St. Louis, who gets 15-18 carries and 5-6 catches minimum per game, or draft a QB or OT and let someone else overpay Bush.
:goodposting:

I agree. I think Bush is a special player so he wont be a pure bust but I dont ever seeing becoming a full-time RB in this league.

Why would you want to spend $50 million on a player who is going to touch the ball 12-15 times a game?
Because you think he'll score a TD 2-3 times a game!!!
If you think Bush is going to score once every 5-6 touches in the NFL, you have bought WAY too hard into the hype. Bush is a phenomenal player, but he's not Superman. Seattle won't even pay Shaun Alexander the kind of money that Bush will get as the #1 pick - do you really have 100% confidence that Bush will put up better yeardage/TD numbers than Alexander?

If I'm the Texans, I'm going to tell anyone who will listen how excited I am to have Bush, and how it's not a problem to draft Bush when I already have Davis signed long term. And I'm going to do everything I can to get Davis on board with the idea, too, by making sure he knows he's the man. I want to build the market up for this guy as much as I possibly can, so I can get the most when I trade the pick.

Why would you want to spend $50 million on a player who is going to touch the ball 12-15 times a game?
Good question. Maybe Nick Saban has an answer.
:confused: If you're referring to Ronnie Brown, do you really think Ricky Williams is still going to be there beyond this year? They HAD to marginalize Brown's role to an extent this year in order to showcase Williams and increase his market value.

Barring injury, Brown will get over 300 carries next year, and you can write that in ink.

If I'm the Texans, I'm going to tell anyone who will listen how excited I am to have Bush, and how it's not a problem to draft Bush when I already have Davis signed long term. And I'm going to do everything I can to get Davis on board with the idea, too, by making sure he knows he's the man. I want to build the market up for this guy as much as I possibly can, so I can get the most when I trade the pick.
:yes: As usual, BFred gets it.

You have to use Bush similiar to what he was used in CollegeA guy who touches the ball a total of 20 times per game whether it be on the ground or through the air.Personally I think the Texans made a huge mistake by locking Dom Davis up to that huge contract if they do indeed intend to take Bush at the #1The smart move for them would be to trade the pick like SD did with Manning.Maybe GB is willing to flop and offer up their 1st in 2007.

Either draft Bush #1 and make him the every down back, a la Faulk in Indy/St. Louis, who gets 15-18 carries and 5-6 catches minimum per game, or draft a QB or OT and let someone else overpay Bush.
You don't draft a QB or OT, you trade the #1 pick for a pool of picks - a la San Diego trading Eli Manning to the Giants.

:goodposting: and it's the same reason guys like Randy Moss are valued so high. It's because so long as he is on the field, touching the ball or not, he will be impacting the game. Well that is if he is as good as everyone thinks of course.Oh BTW, I think you guys are crazy if you think the team that drafts Bush is not going to find ways to get him the ball 20-25 times a game. Be it on the ground, by air or via returns Bush will get enough touches.

Pure speculation here. I was watching Cold Pizza and Michael Smith (I think thats who it was) was talking about Reggie Bush assuming the Texans draft him. He said the Texans dont view Bush as a 20-25 carry a game type RB and are looking for a coach who will be able to get Bush the ball in as many creative ways as possible without being the fulltime back. For example they want to split him out a number of times a game and also have him share time in the backfield with Davis and send him out as an outlet. Basically get him the ball other ways besides only running. It seems from the way he was talking Davis would still be the #1 RB next year getting the majority of the carries. Now who the hell knows if he was making this stuff up or he actually heard some of this stuff but its fun to discuss. Especially for those morons trading LT for Bush in dynasty leagues ;)
This is the way that you use Bush. Anyone thinking that you line him up behind the QB and run the inside stretch play 25 times a game does not get it. This is why the question has not been DomDavis versus Reggie Bush, but DomDavis and Reggie Bush. For once the organization is thinking properly assuming that they are really asking this question.

If you think Bush is going to score once every 5-6 touches in the NFL, you have bought WAY too hard into the hype. Bush is a phenomenal player, but he's not Superman. Seattle won't even pay Shaun Alexander the kind of money that Bush will get as the #1 pick - do you really have 100% confidence that Bush will put up better yeardage/TD numbers than Alexander?
I didn't say I thought that. I was obviously exaggerating, too. You asked why someone would take him No. 1 because of limited touches. Well, that applies to every WR in the NFL. If you think the guy is a difference maker and a threat to score every time he touches the ball, then he's your pick. You obviously don't think that. That's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, including whatever NFL GM selects Bush first in the draft.

Either draft Bush #1 and make him the every down back, a la Faulk in Indy/St. Louis, who gets 15-18 carries and 5-6 catches minimum per game, or draft a QB or OT and let someone else overpay Bush.
You don't draft a QB or OT, you trade the #1 pick for a pool of picks - a la San Diego trading Eli Manning to the Giants.
I agree. I think we see the #4 pick, Abraham, and a future pick go from the Jets to Houston in exchange for the #1 pick.

I didn't say I thought that. I was obviously exaggerating, too. You asked why someone would take him No. 1 because of limited touches. Well, that applies to every WR in the NFL. If you think the guy is a difference maker and a threat to score every time he touches the ball, then he's your pick. You obviously don't think that. That's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, including whatever NFL GM selects Bush first in the draft.
I understand. I'm just saying that to pay a RUNNINGBACK that kind of money and only have him touch the ball 12-15 times a game is nuts. That's like drafting a receiver #1, paying him $50 million, and then targeting him 4 times a game.

This is the way that you use Bush. Anyone thinking that you line him up behind the QB and run the inside stretch play 25 times a game does not get it. This is why the question has not been DomDavis versus Reggie Bush, but DomDavis and Reggie Bush. For once the organization is thinking properly assuming that they are really asking this question.
I agree with you, but the question then becomes : is Bush worth the money he will command as the #1 overall pick if this is how you're going to use him? Considering the deal they just signed Davis to, the money that Carr gets, and the offensive line they have there to block for them?

I agree. I think we see the #4 pick, Abraham, and a future pick go from the Jets to Houston in exchange for the #1 pick.
If this happened/happens, I'd like to see the Texans trade down about to, say, the 7th/8th pick to get more selections and still be able to get a stud O-lineman.

I understand. I'm just saying that to pay a RUNNINGBACK that kind of money and only have him touch the ball 12-15 times a game is nuts. That's like drafting a receiver #1, paying him $50 million, and then targeting him 4 times a game.
Your problem is that you stuck on the term and traditional sense of running back. they will call Bush a running back by title, but if they spread Bush out of the formation, or lining him up in the slot he probably will line-up @ Wr as much as running back, if not more. In some ways what your steelers do with Randle-EL at times, but on a more regualr basis.

If this happened/happens, I'd like to see the Texans trade down about to, say, the 7th/8th pick to get more selections and still be able to get a stud O-lineman.
I think you see Kevin Mawae somehow included in if this deal goes down

:confused: If you're referring to Ronnie Brown, do you really think Ricky Williams is still going to be there beyond this year? They HAD to marginalize Brown's role to an extent this year in order to showcase Williams and increase his market value.

Barring injury, Brown will get over 300 carries next year, and you can write that in ink.
I don't disagree that Brown will get a sizable workload next year, but I don't think Brown was marginalized this year to showcase Ricky. Brown's holdout set him back aways, while RW proved that he can still run the ball well.I think Ricky may still be there next year, but probably in a backup/supporting role. He's terrific, cheap insurance.

But I digress...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you see Kevin Mawae somehow included in if this deal goes down
Man if they pulled of a trade that nice, Hou could be a contender/playoff bound in just a years time. 2 solid upgrades at Oline and pass protection and a viable pass rusher would do WONDERS for that team. I think something like this would be the wisest football move. Bush however, makes the most business sense. They guy will bring butts to the seats and merchandising $$$ out the rear. Not to mention he may just be as good as they say.

Your problem is that you stuck on the term and traditional sense of running back. they will call Bush a running back by title, but if they spread Bush out of the formation, or lining him up in the slot he probably will line-up @ Wr as much as running back, if not more. In some ways what your steelers do with Randle-EL at times, but on a more regualr basis.
Randle El usually takes 1 snap at QB every 2 games and attempts 1 pass per game (and I'm stretching that)Bush will have to touch the ball 20 times a game to justify him being the #1 overall pick

Houston should definately deal this pick

Interested in what people think Bush's role would be in NYJ

The kid is a decent size -

:yes:

At this point in time I'm not sure what is worse. All the people convinced before he has ever played an NFL down that Bush will be a HoFer or all the people convinced that he cannot run between the tackles and add some lbs during his NFL career. :confused:

At this point in time I'm not sure what is worse. All the people convinced before he has ever played an NFL down that Bush will be a HoFer or all the people convinced that he cannot run between the tackles and add some lbs during his NFL career. :confused:
I agree. I think he can definitely be an every down back. In fact, I don't see how you draft him #1 if you DON'T believe that, that's the point I'm making here.

Four things stood out to me here. "Pure Speculation" (bingo), "Cold Pizza" (always known for great journalism), "Michael Smith" (painful) and "He said the Texans dont view Bush as a 20-25 carry a game type RB and are looking for a coach who will be able to get Bush the ball in as many creative ways as possible". So basically it is M Smith's opinion the the Texans are looking for a coach to coach up a player in a certain way that has not even declared for the draft. Either that, or a coach that will call more than FIVE different plays.

I get it - I just think you're marginalizing his impact that way, and not justifying the price tag. Watch Randle-El get cut this offseason rather than signed to a long-term deal as evidence of this.

I get it - I just think you're marginalizing his impact that way, and not justifying the price tag. Watch Randle-El get cut this offseason rather than signed to a long-term deal as evidence of this.
I have four months, and probably more, to develop this argument and find a better example, but in short, I don't equate the numbers of touches the same the quality of touches. Too many people are woried about Bush having the ball in hands 25 times a game, versus having it 15-18 times in better position to make explosive plays.

BTW, I failed to mention that your Jets trade is interesting and if i were the Texans GM one that I would take a very serious look at.

How many times did Gayle Sayers touch the ball per game? Yes, his career was cut short by injuries, but predicting injuries is foolish. Without looking it up, I would say that Sayers touched the ball 40 times a game.

How many times did Gayle Sayers touch the ball per game? Yes, his career was cut short by injuries, but predicting injuries is foolish. Without looking it up, I would say that Sayers touched the ball 40 times a game.
:eek: Is that possible? So he touched the ball 2/3 of the plays? Wow

This does not include kick-off or punt returns. also, this was a different era when teams used two running backs, the fullback actually carried the ball regualrly, and teams did not pass very much. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/SayeGa00.htm

+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Rushing | Receiving |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

| 1965 chi | 14 | 166 867 5.2 14 | 29 507 17.5 6 |

| 1966 chi | 14 | 229 1231 5.4 8 | 34 447 13.1 2 |

| 1967 chi | 13 | 186 880 4.7 7 | 16 126 7.9 1 |

| 1968 chi | 9 | 138 856 6.2 2 | 15 117 7.8 0 |

| 1969 chi | 14 | 236 1032 4.4 8 | 17 116 6.8 0 |

| 1970 chi | 2 | 23 52 2.3 0 | 1 -6 -6.0 0 |

| 1971 chi | 2 | 13 38 2.9 0 | 0 0 0.0 0 |

| TOTAL | 68 | 991 4956 5.0 39 | 112 1307 11.7 9 |

how could the jets tie that much money up on bush with their quarterback questions?

Based on the stats that were posted, 16 times a game.

No he wont get 300 carries. You already put it in ink and your wrong...I will prove it in 350+ days :popcorn:

The NFL is going to help this trade happen. They wanted Eli in NY, they got him. They will want Reggie Bush there too I am sure of it.

This is the best comparison that I can see to a current NFL player...same size, same versility, same general ability. I think that anyone hoping that Bush will be a super fantasy syud is going to be sorely dissapointed...I think that whatever NFL team gets Bush will follow the formula that both USC and Philly used. Get the scatback about 20 touches or so a game, get a big back to do the dirty work, and keep the defense off balance.I can see Bush leading the league in total yardage, but never coming close in TD's...thereby becoming a fantasy dissapointment for those expecting LT, LJ, SA type performance.

Area code of his hometown so he doesn't forget where he came from.

He'll just need a mirror to remember.
If he needs a mirror does that means that he is actually from 916 area code?

This is the best comparison that I can see to a current NFL player...same size, same versility, same general ability. I think that anyone hoping that Bush will be a super fantasy syud is going to be sorely dissapointed...I think that whatever NFL team gets Bush will follow the formula that both USC and Philly used. Get the scatback about 20 touches or so a game, get a big back to do the dirty work, and keep the defense off balance.

I can see Bush leading the league in total yardage, but never coming close in TD's...thereby becoming a fantasy dissapointment for those expecting LT, LJ, SA type performance.
I dont think anyone, including NFL people, are expecting anything like that.What Bush is, is a weapon who can create matchup nightmares and score from anywhere, any play.

The problems he'll cause for opposing teams, even when he isnt getting the ball, is where he talent is.

Bush is likle Westbrook when coming out of the backfield, but i think the two have very different running styles. Bush isn't afraid to run over someone and i think the man uses his speed very well. Westbrook makes people miss and slips through tackles.You can line them both up at reciever though and either one is a threat once the ball in in their hands. But i don't expect any offense to change just because of the addition of Reggie Bush to their offense, it's just another weapon to use, but this one can be used almost anywhere on the field.

I dont think anyone, including NFL people, are expecting anything like that.
Read around this forum for awhile and you'll see there are plenty of guys who think Bush will become a 20+ TD guy.

Users who are viewing this thread