What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie McNeal from A&M (1 Viewer)

Texasmouth

Footballguy
I am hearing he may be asked to switch to WR or go to Canada. Anyone even have this guy on their radar? This guy was an absolute stud last year and this year he lost some WR and ended up having a bad season. A lot of people, mostly big 12 followers actually thought McNeal was better than Young heading into this season. Some still think he is better than Young, definately not me, but there are some.

Being a Longhorn fan, I of course hate this guy but now that he is entering the draft, I don't hate him anymore......

I think he gets a shot at QB in the NFL. He'll probably be drafted in the 4th round. Michael Robinson and Brad Smith are running QBs who will be asked to play other positions, but McNeal has shown enough QB ability to get a chance. He'd be a fine backup to Michael Vick. ;)

Vikings S Corey Chavous, a draft analyst on the NFL Network, kicked all of his credibilty to the curb in one fell swoop when he proclaimed McNeal is the best QB in this draft class.

:lmao:

He'll get a shot at QB no doubt. He reminds me of Aaron Brooks-great physical tools but horrible leadership and decision making.

Bloom, from your mcneal debate

I caught the below

Reggie just might be starting at QB for a foolish team in 3 years (see: Quincy Carter), but when that team comes to their senses, he’ll be moved to WR.
Has that happened before, someone startign at QB before moving to WR?

Bloom, from your mcneal debate

I caught the below

Reggie just might be starting at QB for a foolish team in 3 years (see: Quincy Carter), but when that team comes to their senses, he’ll be moved to WR.
I don't think it has - one thing I should say about that article is that Marc and I made the extreme cases to lay out both sides of the debate, so we might have overstated things a bit in the spirit of a true point/counterpoint.

McNeal...the same R. McNeal that saw his entire team quit on him; the same R. McNeal that allegedly could not get voted into a team captain position, while being the starting QB, without the help of his head coach swaying the team vote; the same R. McNeal that was completely outplayed by that kid the day after Thanksgiving in this year's game against UT?

He should probably either get comfortable holding a clip board and being activated/deactivated at the QB position, as needed, or become familiar with WR eligible numbers. His physical skills are impressive but not enough to outweigh his lack of intangibles, as related to the QB position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do some digging on M. Briscoe, Broncos/Dolphins late 60's through 70's. He might come close.
There have been several college QBs who were drafted as WRs but I can't think any off hand that were drafted to play QB then later moved to WR. I don't know too much about him, but does he fit into the Randel El mode? An athletic talent that can be used as a WR, returner and emergency QB? Would he be a cheaper solution for the Bears instead of going after Randel El?

As an Aggie season ticket holder, I've seen a lot of Reggie. He certainly has the physical skills, but I can't even fathom him gaining the confidence of others while in the huddle, or being able to grasp one third of an NFL team's playbook. He makes awful decisions with the football, mostly because he is poor (actually an understatement) at reading pass coverage. He is also either on, or way off. He can hit a 30 yard out one second and the next play he can overthrow a seven yard hook by 10 feet.

He's a physically gifted person, who lacks leadership skills, cannot read pass coverage to save his butt, and isn't overly bright. He'll be drafted around round 5 by a team that reallistically assumes he's a major long-shot at qb, with upside as a potential WR. I predict he never plays a snap as an NFL qb.

<------ I'm an Aggie as well, obviously, and I posted in the other thread, but I'll jump on here as well.

I think he can be an NFL QB given a situation like Palmer or McNair where he gets to sit for a year or two and learn. He clearly has all the skills. I can't comment on the "leadership" thing because who knows what goes on behind the scenes (though it is true what was said above, he was not voted onto the "leadership council" and the team certainly seemed to rally around the redshirt fish who came in late in the year, and even this offseason, I am hearing comments about the new QB and his leadership that I never heard about Reggie).

But when Reggie was on, there are few better than him. So if a coach can get him to the point that he is on consistently, I think he will surprise. I don't think he was that bad at reading defenses, I think he was got off track sometimes throwing the ball and would try to rifle things in too much (which made losing his 3 most experienced WR this year even worse). He didn't react to well when things weren't going right, but on the other hand he had some pretty big comebacks in the last couple minutes of games. His junior year, I'm pretty sure he broke the A&M record for most passes without a INT, so its not like he is giving the ball up much. I have also heard that he is a smart guy in general, and that the coaches were surprised how fast he picked up the offense his true freshman year. Seeing the Wonderlic scores will be interesting. He also runs a 4.2, not really a big scrambler in terms of making people miss, but if he has an open field, he can absolutely fly.

On the flip side, I don't see him as a WR. He has pure speed, but he doesn't have the moves for that position. If he moves positions, I see him more as a free safety. He played that position and played it well in high school.

He's going to need to develop a lot of mental toughness if he's going to make an NFL QB. Someone is going to have to settle him down. My perception is that he gets too amped up and that causes his overthrows on short routes. He definitely has the physical ability, but I doubt his mental makeup.

Vince Young had the benefit of a world-class O-Line, WRs, defense, and Cedric Benson at Texas... things McNeal never had. I think it's an unfair comparison.

He's going to need to develop a lot of mental toughness if he's going to make an NFL QB. Someone is going to have to settle him down. My perception is that he gets too amped up and that causes his overthrows on short routes. He definitely has the physical ability, but I doubt his mental makeup.

Vince Young had the benefit of a world-class O-Line, WRs, defense, and Cedric Benson at Texas... things McNeal never had. I think it's an unfair comparison.
Sure, he had all those. He also has a lot more talent than Reggie.

Seeing the Wonderlic scores will be interesting. He also runs a 4.2, not really a big scrambler in terms of making people miss, but if he has an open field, he can absolutely fly.
These are both areas that I believe will bring Reggie's value down. He is a 4.35 runner at best and I believe he'll move down draft boards if he runs anything slower than a 4.3 in his workouts. I can also attest via personal knowledge that Reggie is not an intelligent person. His interviews will also draw a large red flag.

Probably, but marginal at best. I think he is only slightly more elusive with his feet. McNeal is faster. McNeal does have the benefit of a solid throwing motion.

Probably, but marginal at best. I think he is only slightly more elusive with his feet. McNeal is faster. McNeal does have the benefit of a solid throwing motion.

He's going to need to develop a lot of mental toughness if he's going to make an NFL QB.  Someone is going to have to settle him down.  My perception is that he gets too amped up and that causes his overthrows on short routes.  He definitely has the physical ability, but I doubt his mental makeup.

Vince Young had the benefit of a world-class O-Line, WRs, defense, and Cedric Benson at Texas...  things McNeal never had.  I think it's an unfair comparison.
You aggies crack me up. Yall could convince yourself that the sky isn't blue if you really wanted to.

Corey Chavous, a draftnik who clearly wants to be Mel Kiper after he retires from the league, was on NFL Total Access last night and cites Reggie McNeal as the #1 overall prospect in this draft. Take it for what it's worth...but at least SOMEONE thinks the kid has a special future.

Probably, but marginal at best.  I think he is only slightly more elusive with his feet.  McNeal is faster.  McNeal does have the benefit of a solid throwing motion.

He's going to need to develop a lot of mental toughness if he's going to make an NFL QB.  Someone is going to have to settle him down.  My perception is that he gets too amped up and that causes his overthrows on short routes.  He definitely has the physical ability, but I doubt his mental makeup.

Vince Young had the benefit of a world-class O-Line, WRs, defense, and Cedric Benson at Texas...  things McNeal never had.  I think it's an unfair comparison.
You aggies crack me up. Yall could convince yourself that the sky isn't blue if you really wanted to.
Speaking strictly to athletic talent, McNeal and young are not that far apart. Rivals.com rated Young as the #1 overall prospect in 2002, and McNeal was ranked #5 - not much difference there. Young, however, has demonstrated that he can take his talent and develop it to help him succeed as a QB. McNeal has not.

McNeal is an enigma to me, I really thought he would be a much better college QB than he turned out to be. He made a name for himself by throwing a few bombs for TD's in an upset of then #1 OU early in his career, then he never really followed it up with much. His numbers his Junior year were pretty good, then he really regressed his senior year.

While Vince Young had clear advantages in talent around him, he is nevertheless a much better QB. McNeal did not have the iron will to win that VY has. McNeal is faster in a foot race, but VY has much better lateral quickness and was therefore a much more elusive runner than McNeal. But really, for NFL teams looking to draft them, the key difference is leadership and the ability to inspire insane confidence in his teammates. VY was special in that regard, McNeal was a bust in that regard.

I think McNeal will get a shot as a QB. I don't know if he'll stick, but someone will give him a shot based on his talent. And he does have talent, I just wonder if he has the head and the heart to go with it. That makes him a much riskier pick IMO than VY who has all the intangibles. And you have to wonder what Chavous is thinking saying he is the top prospect in the draft. That is C-R-A-Z-Y.

Users who are viewing this thread