What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rent-a-Defense: Week 2 (1 Viewer)

Braktastic

Footballguy
What do you guys got?

I'm trying to decide between the following match-ups:

Rams @ Falcons

Cowboys @ Chiefs

Browns @ Ravens

Jaguars @ Raiders

I can't believe I'm leaning toward the Raiders!

I don't think the Rams or Chiefs are the teams you want to go against at all this year. Both of them have average+ QBs and both looked pretty competent yesterday. Raiders v Jags probably a good call though.

Assuming the Bengals (v Steelers) and Texans (v Titans) are rostered, maybe also the Colts (v Dolphins)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Baltimore to rebound nicely at home after a long week to prepare. Cleveland will still not have Gordon and their O-line is battling some injuries. Trich is their only real weapon and BAL is stout against the run.

not sure if available but the stand out defense for week 2 is the bengals vs the steelers.

i also like panthers vs bills - carolina has a strong front 7 and were able to contain lynch with no problem. colts vs dolphins, so far not too impressed with the fins

I'll second the Panthers vs. Bills. New England gave up just 14 points to the Bills (the other 7 points came off of a 75 yard fumble return). 7 of those points came off of a 37-yard "drive" following a second New England turnover. Spiller was held completely in check. Meanwhile, Carolina's defense is much better than New England's, and the Panthers held the mighty Seahawks to just 12 points. EJ Manuel looked good for a rookie, but he's still a rookie.

Saying a lot of what I'm thinking.

Carolina to me is the play this week. I think Buffalo was playing on adrenalin and broke down in the 4th. I don't think they are as good as they showed yesterday.

Other possibles depending on what happens tonight could be Philly vs SD. Depends how bad SD offense really is. Even though the Eagles will give up points, the defense looks aggressive. They should get sacks and some turnovers but again we'll see.

Baltimore should bounce back but I don't think they're that good. Just that Cleveland looks inept as usual.

I still don't think the Colts def is good enough. I'm steering clear.

Leaning Raiders. So far the game has the lowest over/under line.

What do you guys got?

Rams @ Falcons

Cowboys @ Chiefs

Browns @ Ravens

Jaguars @ Raiders

i am going raiders. i drafted kc and then dropped them for the colts after reading this thread last week.jax is as bad as i thought they would be, and compiling stats as a mediocre d is very tough against a running qb.

bills next week against jets.

Raiders D isn't a bad choice. They held Andrew Luck's potent offense to 53 plays, had 4 sacks, and should have been 5 had it not been for Luck's athleticism to scramble out of the grasp. If they can limit the upside of a playoff team to 21 points in their own home, what might they do at their own place against a horrible Jacksonville offense?

But I'm a little biased, don't pay me any attention, I'm daydreaming...

Might want to consider the Saints @ TB.

The Chiefs could turn into a good season long play.

Have to love the Raiders at home with a good bet at a win vs a down opponent. Gabbert at the Black Hole should be good entertainment.

Might want to consider the Saints @ TB.

The Chiefs could turn into a good season long play.

Have to love the Raiders at home with a good bet at a win vs a down opponent. Gabbert at the Black Hole should be good entertainment.
not sure if gabbart can even go...got 15 stitches in his throwing hand. either way may mean jax qb does not even get full week worth of reps with first team....if jax even has a 1st team.mjd could be a concern, but even if he does well the d feasting on sacks and ints and opporunities for a return is too good to pass up.

if you can spare the room on your bench, i am also going to pick up buffalo who has the jets x2, mia x2, cle, jax, car, and bal. playoff weeks are jax and mia.

i initially had the following schedule for my strategy:

week 1: kcc vs jax

week 2: buf vs car

week 3: buf vs nyj

week 4: buf vs bal

week 5: buf vs cle

week 6: kcc vs oak

week 7: buf vs mia

week 8: kcc vs cle

week 9: kcc vs buf (drop kcc after week 9)

week 10: acquire ten to play jax

week 11: buf vs nyj

week 12: drop ten get bal to play nyj

week 13: drop bal get cle to play jax

week 14: buf vs tam

week 15: buf vs jax

week 16: buf vs mia

mileage will vary, but buffalo all year long to have seems like a good team, if you can spare roster space to rotate in another team for the other matchups.

I picked up Buffalo after seeing them blitz the heck out of Minnesota in the preseason.

I should have started them week one but instead picked up the Colts and played them against the Raiders. Time to drop the Colts I think.

Saying a lot of what I'm thinking.

Carolina to me is the play this week. I think Buffalo was playing on adrenalin and broke down in the 4th. I don't think they are as good as they showed yesterday.

Other possibles depending on what happens tonight could be Philly vs SD. Depends how bad SD offense really is. Even though the Eagles will give up points, the defense looks aggressive. They should get sacks and some turnovers but again we'll see.

Baltimore should bounce back but I don't think they're that good. Just that Cleveland looks inept as usual.

I still don't think the Colts def is good enough. I'm steering clear.
I feel this could be a good play now.

Raiderfan32904 said:
DET at ARI,

The Lions defense will test the Cardinals line, could be a pick 6 there.

I also like the Carolina call.
A lot of people had Detroits defense last year vs Lindley and got crushed.

I'll second the Panthers vs. Bills. New England gave up just 14 points to the Bills (the other 7 points came off of a 75 yard fumble return). 7 of those points came off of a 37-yard "drive" following a second New England turnover. Spiller was held completely in check. Meanwhile, Carolina's defense is much better than New England's, and the Panthers held the mighty Seahawks to just 12 points. EJ Manuel looked good for a rookie, but he's still a rookie.
NE scored their only 2 TD's on 35 or less yard "drives" vs a defense missing their 2 best players....go with the Jets! :)

Yeah now that Gabbert's out and the second-string QB is in, no longer leaning Oakland. The backup QB is better.

Unless your league rewards quite handsomely for holding an offense to a low score, I'm going to make an argument against the case for Carolina:

1) Buffalo gives up very few sacks. They did an excellent job last year in that department and gave up zero in Week 1. LT Cordy Glenn didn't even give up a pressure. Wood is also an excellent pass blocker and Urbik and Pears can hold their own. Furthermore, Buffalo's passing offense focuses mainly on quick developing plays so getting to the QB is very difficult, especially when it's a guy like Manuel. So the odds of getting a bunch of points via sack is really low.

2) INTs will be really hard to generate against Manuel right now. The Bills are really babying him. So everything is very quick and short. You won't see him make too many tough throws at this point. Manuel is still working on timing with his WRs after missing half the preseason and being a rookie though, so there may be an opportunity or two there. But through 2 preseason games and one regular season game, he's been very efficient and not prone to turning it over.

I think there's a good chance that the Panthers have a nice day in NFL terms stopping the run and holding the Buffalo offense to a low score, but I'm not sure it's going to translate into a high fantasy score.

Packers may be on some wires since I doubt many people started them against SF. They host Washington.
I'm not on board with this. WAS may have looked bad in the 1st half last night, but they came together in the 2nd. I think RG3 could tear up GB's secondary this week. Kaep had no issues throwing it all over these guys. Sure they will get some sacks and maybe a turnover, but I think WAS will look better in week 2 and put some points up on GB.

I was certainly impressed by the Eagles D last night. In the first, they swarmed WAS and looked unstoppable. In the second half, they went prevent mode. I'll be targeting them this week against SD.

Others I'm considering: KC vs DAL, DET at ARI

GroveDiesel said:
Unless your league rewards quite handsomely for holding an offense to a low score, I'm going to make an argument against the case for Carolina:

1) Buffalo gives up very few sacks. They did an excellent job last year in that department and gave up zero in Week 1. LT Cordy Glenn didn't even give up a pressure. Wood is also an excellent pass blocker and Urbik and Pears can hold their own. Furthermore, Buffalo's passing offense focuses mainly on quick developing plays so getting to the QB is very difficult, especially when it's a guy like Manuel. So the odds of getting a bunch of points via sack is really low.

2) INTs will be really hard to generate against Manuel right now. The Bills are really babying him. So everything is very quick and short. You won't see him make too many tough throws at this point. Manuel is still working on timing with his WRs after missing half the preseason and being a rookie though, so there may be an opportunity or two there. But through 2 preseason games and one regular season game, he's been very efficient and not prone to turning it over.

I think there's a good chance that the Panthers have a nice day in NFL terms stopping the run and holding the Buffalo offense to a low score, but I'm not sure it's going to translate into a high fantasy score.
Low score and low yardage in my league. I feel sacks and turnovers are hard to predict game to game.

Only thing you have to be careful about with Philly is pace, if your league is heavily weighted for yardage and points. Teams will have to really push it to keep up with them, and they're going to give up more point than other teams simply because they're accelerating the pace of the game. The turn is that it also generates more opportunities for turnovers and sacks.

I'm going with the Cowboys in all the leagues I can get my hands on them. Defense is an extremely pyschological beast (well, the whole sport is). They'll be looking for turnovers again and I think Alex Smith may be able to help them out with that.

They've got the talent to be a decent defensive team. I might grab the Cowboys and ride them for a bit.

What do you guys got?

Rams @ Falcons

Cowboys @ Chiefs

Browns @ Ravens

Jaguars @ Raiders

If you are thinking of picking up the Falcons, then you are betting against the brand name of "Rams" and not the team that played last week. They put up 300 passing yards against a superior defense. That game'll be a shootout. Regardless of who wins it, I know who the loser will be: the guy who surfed the Falcons' D.

I was going to go with the Raiders, but Henne changes that dynamic. I'm thinking Philly, with a bad west-coast team heading cross-country for the early start is the way to go.

I'm going with the Cowboys in all the leagues I can get my hands on them. Defense is an extremely pyschological beast (well, the whole sport is). They'll be looking for turnovers again and I think Alex Smith may be able to help them out with that.

They've got the talent to be a decent defensive team. I might grab the Cowboys and ride them for a bit.
Thought about them, but KC is still too much of an unknown quantity for my liking. Need to see them against a non-Jacksonville team before I start looking to pick on them.

I'd be very hesitant with the cowboys. The book isn't out on the chiefs either way yet. Plus Andy knows the cowboys very well. Add to that that Alex Smith doesn't typically throw picks and I can't see where the points would be coming from (for def ff scoring).

More i think about this more i think philly d is the play and may be a keeper all year. They seem like a bad real defense but plays behind a top offense and makes big plays

More i think about this more i think philly d is the play and may be a keeper all year. They seem like a bad real defense but plays behind a top offense and makes big plays
Worth a pickup for this week definitely. Possibly good for week 3 too. Week 4 is a definite no go though. We'll know where they stand though by then.

Thought about them, but KC is still too much of an unknown quantity for my liking. Need to see them against a non-Jacksonville team before I start looking to pick on them.
Charles is their only real weapon and I think Dallas' D-Line is quick enough to suck up short runs before they become huge gains. It's hard to stop a guy with his talent anyway.

Expect 8 men in the box and ask Alex Smith to beat you with his arm. Dwayne Bowe isn't going to get anything deep, although if they were smart they'd utilize him on some intermediate routes. Guy has the size advantage on cornerbacks. Besides that you've got Donnie Avery to worry about?

Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr should be able to handle their assignments 1 on 1. They'll give some but overall should be able to do an adequate job.

As far as game expectations go, I assume Dallas will have no problem scoring. Bryant, Austin, and Witten are a tough trio to cover. Terrence Williams and Dwayne Harris are great 4th options. Demarco Murray actually looked pretty good against the G-Men, effort player there.

I think Dallas is going to score and from there, the Chiefs are going to be playing from behind most of the game and will be forced to pass. Alex smith is a great game manager, but I don't believe the Chiefs are as sold on themselves as the Cowboys are.

GroveDiesel said:

Good points for sure but when I`m picking a defense, I initially worry about the points against and I really think Buffalo will struggle here. The rest are just bonus points IMO.

I was going to go with the Raiders, but Henne changes that dynamic. I'm thinking Philly, with a bad west-coast team heading cross-country for the early start is the way to go.
I'm going with the raiders. Henne does probably improve the jags, but the raiders played surprisingly well against luck @ Indy in week one

I would think the Bills would be a good pick against Car this week, along with a pretty cushy schedule most of the year...but Dodds had them ranked 29th this week.

Am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread