What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rent-a-Defense: Week 3 (1 Viewer)

I am going with the Browns against the Vikings. Browns have been good vs the run so far this season which should force the Vikings to throw a bit more than normal. Obviously they aren't going to completely bottle up Peterson, but Ponder has been good for turnovers both games so far. I am pretty sure that is a trend which will only continue.

How about the Saints vs Arizona? Saints have held ATL and TB to under 20 points so far, plus NO is getting their defensive scoring on interceptions and fumbles, not fluky TDs. I don't see ARI as superior to either ATL or TB so the chance for a good defensive day is there.

Last week was a disaster with Philly for me. I let my homer glasses cloud my judgement.

This week I like those listed above but some other options could be Det at Wash or Tenn vs SD. Tenn has the Jets and KC coming up. KC has been decent so far though.

I think its safe to chase the def that plays Jax now. Seattle is gone for week 3 but week 4 is Indy, week 5 is Stl, week 6 is Denver (also probably gone) and week 7 is SD.

I like the Buf @ NYJ call. I like both sides of this play. Jets because they play at home, and Buffalo because they face the Jets.

Going after the Saints in all leagues, it seems like they could be a multi week play with Cards and Dolphins both at home. I just can't bring myself to trust either Bills or Jets but one of those would be my backup plan probably Buffalo...

If the first two weeks of this thread are any indication, I'll go ahead and use this thread as a guide to which D NOT to play.

If the first two weeks of this thread are any indication, I'll go ahead and use this thread as a guide to which D NOT to play.
Keeping the streak alive . . . . .

Carolina. They haven't faced a prolific passer yet, but the Giants can't run and Eli has been a pick machine through two weeks.

I am liking the cleveland pick. Minnesota is horrible. Christian Ponder might not even be a good qb in the cfl. I think there are some HS qbs that can run minny's offense better than him.

Yeah...cleveland.

I am running with ATL since they have MIA this week and NYJ in week 5. I am grabbing IND this week for week 4 vs JAX.

Worked great so far:

Week 1: Dallas (26 pts)

Week 2: Balt (12 pts)

Week 3: (likely one of NYJ/Buffalo. Other 2 on the radar are Clev and Carolina)

i think a sneaky play could be the giants. (they've had 2 brutal weeks but the played the best offense in football, and another team who has top 5 weapons) granted the offense hasnt helped them turning it over but could be a sneaky play considering carolina lacks alot of weapons

the panthers offense plays like they got a stick up their butt.

offensive line is terrible (6 sacks against buffalo, not sure how many in week 1)

giants defensive line should be able to make some noise in this one

and they do get the chiefs the following week so it could be a 2 week move

Last edited by a moderator:
Insein said:
Last week was a disaster with Philly for me. I let my homer glasses cloud my judgement.

This week I like those listed above but some other options could be Det at Wash or Tenn vs SD. Tenn has the Jets and KC coming up. KC has been decent so far though.

I think its safe to chase the def that plays Jax now. Seattle is gone for week 3 but week 4 is Indy, week 5 is Stl, week 6 is Denver (also probably gone) and week 7 is SD.
Nah it wasn't your homer glasses. SD imploded in week 1 and traditionally short weeks, demoralizing losses, and west coast teams heading east are pluses for opposing defenses. Philly wasn't a bad pick on paper.

For those recommending NO, my only concern is mounting injuries. Patrick Robinson got hurt yesterday on top of the numerous injuries that unit already has experienced.

Definitely worth chasing JAX where possible. I did that with a couple of bad teams last and it almost always worked out well. I saw a study for last year showing that the D facing the worst offenses actually outscored the top fantasy defense. I wish I remembered where I saw it and I would post a link.

For week 3, some teams to consider:

1. Minnesota vs. a Cleveland team that will either be starting ancient Jason Campbell or injured Brandon Weeden at QB.
  2. Cleveland at Minn. for the reasons already mentioned above.
  3. Buffalo at the Jets, as mentioned above, also looks good.
  4. Carolina hosting a turnover prone NYG team with a unsettled run game. The Panthers might be harder to find on wires this week but I would imagine at least some leagues still have them sitting there.
  5. Miami at home vs. an Atlanta team perhaps without Steven Jackson and with a hobbled Roddy.
  6. SD at Tennessee. The Titans only managed 2 offensive TDs yesterday and the passing game was good for only 148 yards.

Tenn for the next 2 weeks imo
against San Diego? no way in hell. good pickup for week 4 though.
Yes, against SD. Tenn is sneaky under rated thus far, and SD hasn't really impressed me yet.
I don't think SD is a team I want to play my defense against. They put up a ton of points and yards in both weeks, so you have to rely on turnovers, sacks, etc. for your D to score. I prefer to play against an O that has shown an inability to score points and gain yards to ensure some sort of floor if the turnovers and sacks don't come that week.

I'm leaning toward BUF against NYJ this week.

its hard to judge the chargers offense against the eagles with the amount of extra plays that are run.

The Chargers offense looked good in the first half of week 1.. but then didnt do squat the 2nd half.

they looked good week 2 against an "ok" defense in eagles, and a high tempo offense.

Titans will be able to get pressure or Rivers. Just waiting for the picks to start happening.

I have Titans defense in one league and will play them, But I also wont go out of my way to grab them off the ww.

Yes, against SD. Tenn is sneaky under rated thus far, and SD hasn't really impressed me yet.
I don't think SD is a team I want to play my defense against. They put up a ton of points and yards in both weeks, so you have to rely on turnovers, sacks, etc. for your D to score. I prefer to play against an O that has shown an inability to score points and gain yards to ensure some sort of floor if the turnovers and sacks don't come that week.

I personally think that Houston's secondary is not great and the Eagles D is all around not great. SD hasn't given me a reason to think that they're an avoid offense. Meanwhile, Tenn D has put up double digits 2 weeks in a row and is, in my estimation, underrated. And available on waivers. I'm rolling them out there this week. No worries if you don't want to do the same, but thats my call, right or wrong.

I'm looking at picking up MINN for both CLE & PIT (depending on how the Steelers look the next two games)

But yeah, with the Hawks and Pats surely gone, I'd say Vikings or Bills look the strongest bets. Maybe Broncos where available, or the Saints who at least have been very solid.

I personally think that Houston's secondary is not great and the Eagles D is all around not great. SD hasn't given me a reason to think that they're an avoid offense. Meanwhile, Tenn D has put up double digits 2 weeks in a row and is, in my estimation, underrated. And available on waivers. I'm rolling them out there this week. No worries if you don't want to do the same, but thats my call, right or wrong.
I agree the TENN defense is underrated and I'm not saying you are wrong for starting them, just trying to add to the discussion.

Carolina. They haven't faced a prolific passer yet, but the Giants can't run and Eli has been a pick machine through two weeks.
Carolina lost 3 DB's to injury this past weekend
Thanks for pointing this out. Yes, and at least one Panther, FS Charles Godfrey, is out for the season.

Even prior to those injuries it was the front 7 and not the secondary that was deemed the defense's strength.

Thanks for the knowledge-drop. I was about to get sucked in on this one.

Vikings look like the play here. Jason Campbell will be the QB, and there's the obvious context about the Browns' offense, but also consider the Vikings offense. They will be on the field a lot with the run-centric ball control offense. That alone will limit the amount of time the Browns will have the ball in their hands.

If there was a Vegas prop bet on which game will finish first, I'd lay money down on this. Both teams will stay on the ground, that that will uber-shorten the game. Shorter game = less plays = less stats for the respective offenses. And since Cleveland can't do much with the plays and possessions they've got....

...make mine Minnesota this week.

Thanks for the knowledge-drop. I was about to get sucked in on this one.
so start all nyg wrs with absolute confidence

Vikings look like the play here. Jason Campbell will be the QB, and there's the obvious context about the Browns' offense, but also consider the Vikings offense. They will be on the field a lot with the run-centric ball control offense. That alone will limit the amount of time the Browns will have the ball in their hands.

If there was a Vegas prop bet on which game will finish first, I'd lay money down on this. Both teams will stay on the ground, that that will uber-shorten the game. Shorter game = less plays = less stats for the respective offenses. And since Cleveland can't do much with the plays and possessions they've got....

i like this pick

carolina is going to get destroyed

it'll be a victory if they hold eli under 40
This. Both teams are 0-2 but I'll take Eli and the Giants vs a Carolina team with a pouty Cam at QB all day; even at home. G men will smoke Carolina.

How about Det vs Was? Was has made tons of mistakes so far. I'm leaning more towards Buf vs NYJ . But haven't decided yet.

i like this pick
I'm warming up to this defense too. At home the next two weeks against the Jason Campbell led Browns, and then the punchless Steelers. Solid two week play.

Det vs WAS looks promising. taking DET here.
If you drop the 1st 1/2 of the game against Philly, Washington's O hasn't made that many mistakes. They're shaking the rust off. Their D is terrible though. I expect a shootout here.

Torn between the Bills and Vikings. Both look like solid plays. May lean Vikings just because they could be useful again next week.

i like this pick
I'm warming up to this defense too. At home the next two weeks against the Jason Campbell led Browns, and then the punchless Steelers. Solid two week play.
I was between them and Buffalo but Junior convinced me with his post. Now he better be right or HE WILL PAY!

If we're talking more season long plays, how are you guys feeling about the emerging defenses thus far?

KC is one of the leading scorers in my league (granted they played JAX already) and supposedly looks fantastic. Tennessee looks solid as well thus far, shutting down Pittsburgh (not impressive) and also controlling the Texans for a large part of that game Sunday.

Who else is emerging (as we see every year)?

If we're talking more season long plays, how are you guys feeling about the emerging defenses thus far?

KC is one of the leading scorers in my league (granted they played JAX already) and supposedly looks fantastic. Tennessee looks solid as well thus far, shutting down Pittsburgh (not impressive) and also controlling the Texans for a large part of that game Sunday.

One that is overlooked imo, is Tampa. They are a pretty good "real" defense as well as fantasy defense. They are a matchup play, but with Revis and the playmakers on the D-line, they are going to get plenty of sacks, turnovers, and maybe some defensive scores. Everyone is so focused on Josh Freeman, that they are missing the forest for the trees. That defense is good.

i like this pick
I was between them and Buffalo but Junior convinced me with his post. Now he better be right or HE WILL PAY!
bloom just tweeted that it may be HOYER starting at qb if weeden is out. (just wanna say bloom is awesome on twitter, and so are the rest of the fbg, if you havent already, i would follow them)

One that is overlooked imo, is Tampa. They are a pretty good "real" defense as well as fantasy defense. They are a matchup play, but with Revis and the playmakers on the D-line, they are going to get plenty of sacks, turnovers, and maybe some defensive scores. Everyone is so focused on Josh Freeman, that they are missing the forest for the trees. That defense is good.
Tampa had some nice upgrades in the offseason and the week 1 matchup with the Jets enticed me to draft them. I believed in the defense overall, and that paid off last week.

Can't see myself carrying them through their week 5 bye, so now I am debating the Minnesota pickup for the CLE & PIT. Tampa's matchups aren't so bad, though, with the Pats (given their current state) and AZ.

21 pts? Probably not. Even though Cleveland gains Gordon, they are going to be without Weeden. Campbell, is not a good QB. MN is loud as hell. I think MN is the best play.

1) Minn hosting Cle

2) Jets hosting Buff

3) Cle at MN

4) Buff at Jets

One of these defenses should be on the wire. Buffalo has played well, but I do not think they have a very good secondary. I think the NYJ line can protect Campbell and it is hard to see Buffalo pulling away from the Jets.

Users who are viewing this thread