What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rent-a-Defense: Week 6 (1 Viewer)

People who think that Foles is going to mean fantasy gold for DST are probably mistaken. Will be lots of short throws, mistakes minimized. He can move the offense. TB is a good defense and there are worse plays than them, but I doubt it will be a goldmine.

Currently have BAL rostered, and I'm seventh in line for waiver claims.

Waiver claim 1. CIN drop BAL

Waiver claim 2. DAL drop BAL

Waiver claim 3. PIT drop BAL

If I don't get any of those, looks like I am going with BAL
Maybe its just me, but I have never understood why anyone would waste a waiver claim on a D/ST. I suppose it depends on your league though. :shrug:

I have narrowed my list to the Lions, Jets, or Colts.

Detroit - Decent most of the year, but the Browns burn me everytime I try to go against them.

New York Jets - Have looked solid and put pressure on the QB, but Pittsburgh is coming off a bye.

Indianapolis - Playing the newly high octane Chargers, but the Colts are #3 in scoring in my league and have yet to put up a poor fantasy week, even against tough competition.

Right now, I'm learning toward Indy, with the Jets as my top backup if they get scooped up.
The thing is, IND hasn't exactly played any prolific offenses thus far. I was looking into this to gauge Keenan Allen's match-up and came to the conclusion that IND's high-ish ranking in pass defense was exaggerated due to playing OAK, MIA, SF, JAC and SEA. They're rush defense looks greatly improved but I think they'll truly be tested through the air for the first time on MNF. Also, keep in mind it has the highest O/U of the week.

I ended up passing entirely on all of the teams I mentioned and grabbed Houston. For some reason I thought they were owned in my league, so I didn't look into them.

As a whole, they haven't produced at a high level this year, but the Rams have been generous against fantasy defenses and I think the Texans will be playing for their season. Plus, they are due for some big plays.

My opponent has the Bengals against the Bills, so I think I need some upside to try to match him.

People who think that Foles is going to mean fantasy gold for DST are probably mistaken. Will be lots of short throws, mistakes minimized. He can move the offense. TB is a good defense and there are worse plays than them, but I doubt it will be a goldmine.
My waivers doesn't run till tonight. None of the waiver wire defenses available mentioned in this thread seems like a slam dunk safe play. This is a tricky week. I am worried I might "win" a defense like Pittsburgh tonight only to be rewarded a handful of points. Tampa is a low ceiling, but you're right. I don't see Foles lighting up the Bucs secondary. That defense has been really good all year. They don't have the upside, but Tampa's defense has a higher floor. I may just wait and pick them up cheap, because I am pretty sure no one is considering them.

The FBG weekly cheatsheet has CAR only ranked 22nd this week. Are we missing something? DET and MIN are ranked quite a bit higher.

I picked up Carolina last week to use them for the next few games. They should be decent against Minny. I was a bit disappointed by their performance against Arizona, but they still got some sacks and turnovers.
I'm thinking of picking up Carolina and rolling with them for awhile. I have the Rams right now who have been less than stellar other than last week. I don't have the luxury of being able to rent-a-defense every week because we have limited transactions since we don't collect fees for player pick ups.

Minnesota has scored 24, 30, 27, and 34 so far this season. I don't think they're a matchup to exploit from the defensive side(unless Ponder is for sure playing).

I like Detroit vs. the Browns this week. Detroit needs to win, defense is gonna do all it can to limit the Browns.

Random trash out there this week.

Broncos play Jacksonville. But they're probably not on the wire. Every JAX opponent is probably rostered for the foreseeable future.

Bucs vs Philly? (Will Vick play? Line, o/u NA)

Panthers @ Minny? (Minnesota coming off a bye after the London trip) (MIN favored by 2, o/u 44)

Giants @ Bears? (Thursday, CHI favored by 7.5 and o/u 45)

Steelers @ Jets? (Steelers coming off the bye as well) (PIT -2, o/u 40)

Bills vs. Cincy (CIN -7, o/u NA)

Lions @ Cleveland (Are we back in the Weeden era? Lions -2.5, o/u 45.5)

Whatcha got?
all rostered in my start 3 def league.

I picked up the Car D a few weeks ago with this week in mind. Last weeks showing has me a little discouraged but I still think they are a solid play if available.

For those of you rolling with Cincy, would you start them over the Chiefs this week? The Bengals should slaughter a QB-less Bills team, but the Chiefs have the Raiders. Will it be worth it to bench my incumbent D for a matchup play?

Also, in another league, I'm picking up Carolina for their nice stretch, like a bunch of people in this thread. They should put up decent points for a rental.

I'm feeling good about Cleveland this week. Even if Megatron plays, I think we're going to see something really good from Cleveland. I'm taking a shot with them in my regular league... if they only put up a handful of points for me, so be it - I'm pretty sure my other positions can handle the slack.

Now, in the FanDuel contests... I'm not so sure. I might throw them in one lineup.

I'm feeling good about Cleveland this week. Even if Megatron plays, I think we're going to see something really good from Cleveland. I'm taking a shot with them in my regular league... if they only put up a handful of points for me, so be it - I'm pretty sure my other positions can handle the slack.

Now, in the FanDuel contests... I'm not so sure. I might throw them in one lineup.
This game is an interesting one because I think anything could happen ( except maybe the Browns winning by a big margin racking up tons of points along the way ).

I'm actually leaning towards going with the Lions this week. Weedon takes an absolute age to throw so I could see the interior D of the Lions getting a good few sacks. I could also easily see Weedon throwing a few INTs, maybe even a pick six.

It is the Lions though so I struggle to trust them.

Also, Browns punt return guy looked phenomenal last week, I could see the Browns special teams doing something from there again.

Picked up the Lions as it seemed like the play available with the most upside and they have some better matchup weeks coming later.

Lions in one league, Steelers in two leagues. Really not exicted about a high ceiling this week. Just happy to have a safe floor.

still I think he botches some plays like he often did at Arizona, when the pressure was on. including some not so smart ones. Bucs are going to be fresh and all over this kid. we'll see if i'm wrong soon enough but look for a big mistake or two in tampa.

still I think he botches some plays like he often did at Arizona, when the pressure was on. including some not so smart ones. Bucs are going to be fresh and all over this kid. we'll see if i'm wrong soon enough but look for a big mistake or two in tampa.
TB is also 0-4, and they're defense might start mailing it in. So there's that flip side.

TB is also 0-4, and they're defense might start mailing it in. So there's that flip side.
No chance to that flip side. You keep hoping if you want. Tampa defense is tough.

No chance to that flip side. You keep hoping if you want. Tampa defense is tough.
Yeah but they're playing for a terrible coach on a team that hasn't won. And they just dropped their QB who clearly has more talent than Mike Glennon. Eventually they will get disgruntled and stop playing 100%.

Jets scare me coming off a big win on a short week against a hungry team off a bye. But im rolling with em. Show me youre real boys.

Jets scare me coming off a big win on a short week against a hungry team off a bye. But im rolling with em. Show me youre real boys.
I'm betting the flip side. Geno is getting the star treatment in the NYC papers. Too much too soon I say. Playing at home against an angry Steelers team coming off a bye. One of us will be right. Good luck!

So, in one league have the Pats vs NO - not good, need a sub.

In tehse situations with no good choices, I go home team.

First of all MIN's defense has been pretty poor but maybe folks should be looking at the other side of the QB equation - Cassel did play last week, and Freeman is probably not ready to start. I like MIn to score some points and CAR to be the team that struggles, their defense is very good but their offense is just struggling.

Jets vs PIT - it's all wrong in PIT these days and the Jets are doing pretty well.

Bills vs Cincy - looks good, but no, with Thad lewis coming in they may giving the Bengals good field position all day long.

I may take a shot at Minny then NYJ.

First of all MIN's defense has been pretty poor but maybe folks should be looking at the other side of the QB equation - Cassel did play last week, and Freeman is probably not ready to start. I like MIn to score some points and CAR to be the team that struggles, their defense is very good but their offense is just struggling.

Jets vs PIT - it's all wrong in PIT these days and the Jets are doing pretty well.

Bills vs Cincy - looks good, but no, with Thad lewis coming in they may giving the Bengals good field position all day long.

This is me as well.

It pains me to type this, but the Steelers D has been horrible this season... both in fantasy and real football. I understand the arguments for playing them this week but there is zero evidence to suggest they will be able to exploit the favorable matchup. the Steelers have 4 sacks and 0 turnove so far this season.

I have been wrestling with the same reasoning you have about CAR vs. MIN. My gut just doesn't trust CAR. I'm thinking of swapping to MIN for the reasons you mentioned.

I like the NYJ D this year but wonder if PIT will be quite as productive an opponent with L. Bell back and contributing.

A little more regarding CAR vs. MIN D.

Minnesota has given up the 10th most FF points to defenses this year: 6.8 pg.

Carolina has given up the 15th most, 6.0 pg.

The last 3 weeks, however, Minnesota has given up only the 20th most points, 5.0 pg. Carolina has given up the 11th most points the last 3 weeks, 7.0 pg.

Source: http://www.fftoday.com/stats/fantasystats.php?Season=2013&GameWeek=Last3&PosID=99&Side=Allowed&LeagueID=1
This is key. Minnesota gave up a ton of points the first 3 weeks, but with as many points as they are averaging, if they cut down the TOs like against Pitt, there will not be much left for the opposing DF. I just don't see targeting them as an offense. I'd be looking at their D at home with Car O struggling.

So what do we Jets owners do now?

ESPN New York reports Jets CB Antonio Cromartie suffered a non-contact knee injury in Thursday's practice, and that the team is "concerned."

Beat writer Rich Cimini reports he's undergoing an MRI. Cromartie isn't playing at near the level he was in 2012, but his loss would be a massive blow to a Jets defense that's carried the team to a 3-2 start. Non-contract injuries almost always foretell bad news, so at the very least, Cro should be considered doubtful for Week 6. His absence would be a big boost for Antonio Brown and the Steelers, and particularly ill-timed for the Jets, as first-round pick Dee Milliner (hamstring) is also sidelined. Gang Green could be forced to go with Kyle Wilson and Darrin Walls at cornerback.

Currently have BAL rostered, and I'm seventh in line for waiver claims.

Waiver claim 1. CIN drop BAL

Waiver claim 2. DAL drop BAL

Waiver claim 3. PIT drop BAL

If I don't get any of those, looks like I am going with BAL
Maybe its just me, but I have never understood why anyone would waste a waiver claim on a D/ST. I suppose it depends on your league though. :shrug:
It's either a DST or swapping out marginal WR 5 for a marginal WR 5.

So what do we Jets owners do now?

ESPN New York reports Jets CB Antonio Cromartie suffered a non-contact knee injury in Thursday's practice, and that the team is "concerned."

Beat writer Rich Cimini reports he's undergoing an MRI. Cromartie isn't playing at near the level he was in 2012, but his loss would be a massive blow to a Jets defense that's carried the team to a 3-2 start. Non-contract injuries almost always foretell bad news, so at the very least, Cro should be considered doubtful for Week 6. His absence would be a big boost for Antonio Brown and the Steelers, and particularly ill-timed for the Jets, as first-round pick Dee Milliner (hamstring) is also sidelined. Gang Green could be forced to go with Kyle Wilson and Darrin Walls at cornerback.
I've flipped back to starting the Browns. I only had the Jets D as a slightly better option so I'm rolling with the Browns. I think for folks who don't have CLE as an option I would consider TB or MIN as well.

This AP situation is very sad and impacts the Min-Car game sadly. The Vikings will play inspired football and beat Carolina I think. Case in point is how Indianapolis rallied last year because of the HC who had cancer. (Yes Andrew Luck is a good QB but emotion is important for motivation)

I don't know if I wanna go Browns or Bucs. Both are home games. Bucs desperate for a win. Detroit might not have Calvin Johnson.

Last updates on MIN D vs CAR D:

Dodds has CAR at 9th and MIN at 10th with about 8 pts ea.

Last 5 weeks MIN has scored 42% higher than the NFL average; 13% higher the last 3 weeks.

Last 3 weeks CAR D has scored 38% higher than the NFL average; last 5 weeks CAR has scored 5% below the NFL D average.

CAR has 12 sacks; 7 came vs NYG. MIN has 10 sacks; half came vs PIT.

Source: http://www.fftoday.com/stats/fantasystats.php?Season=2013&GameWeek=Season&PosID=99&Side=Scored&LeagueID=1 (drill down through team D link for details)

I can also just keep my Saints D, but I'm not sure about playing them against the Patriots in NE.
Currently have Minny but with the news of Gronk I'm considering the Saints as well. I didn't see the Bears game but I've watched the previous Saints' games and they are FLYING around out there. High risk/reward.

TB

Double digits on Yahoo 3 out of 4 games

And they get to prepare an entire week for...... *dun dun dun*........ Foles.
This. Dropped CAR def. Offense may not be on par, but Revis Island is there.

EDIT: Now that we know AP will be playing...and will be running angry...watch out CAR def.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anybody brave enough to start the Cardinal D against San Fran?
I'm rolling with the Cardinals this week. They were huge against Cam so I'm hoping they will do the same to Kaep. Peterson will probably take Boldin out of the game so that leaves Vernon Davis as the only decent option for Kaep.

I just don't like that it's at SF. That weak Arizona offense scares me a little too especially since Fitz isn't 100%. I still like the Cardinals better this week than my other D which is the Ravens vs Green Bay.

Still not made a decision on this one.

Thinking that I go with Lions if Calvin is fit, and go with Browns if he isn't.

I like our defence for this one with Weedon in there, but if Calvin isn't a goer then I could see the Lions offence wilting and putting the D under pressure.

Also like Browns D, if Calvin isn't fit then they are good against the run and can stop Bush. If he is fit then that stretches them

Still not made a decision on this one.

Thinking that I go with Lions if Calvin is fit, and go with Browns if he isn't.

I like our defence for this one with Weedon in there, but if Calvin isn't a goer then I could see the Lions offence wilting and putting the D under pressure.

Also like Browns D, if Calvin isn't fit then they are good against the run and can stop Bush. If he is fit then that stretches them
This

How about the Colts D?
They've been great and I've been really impressed. The run D was usually the problem, but I could see the Chargers throwing 40 times this week. It's a risk, but it could pay off. Though their game against Jacksonville really inflates their point totals for their scoring.

They allow points and yards, but they create turnovers. So it all depends on how your league scores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody like the Packers D this week @BAL? :shrug:

Flacco/Rice & the Ravens offense have been horrible this year...Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread