What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Report: Broncos tried to trade Peyton Manning to Texans (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Report: Broncos tried to trade Peyton Manning to Texans

Three years ago, quarterback Peyton Manning was interested in the Texans, but the Texans weren’t interested in him. Earlier this year, the Texans reportedly had another chance to get him.

According to Benjamin Allbright of 94.1 FM in Denver, the Broncos tried to trade Manning to Houston during the offseason. He cites “two unrelated official sources” for the report, adding that “certain elements” of the Broncos organization wanted the Brock Osweiler era to start in 2015.

My first reaction was to scoff, but then I remembered this item from PFT regarding the presence of a no-trade clause for 2015 in Manning’s revised contract. Manning didn’t need to ask for a no-trade clause unless he feared that his restructured contract, with a base salary of only $15 million, would make another team more likely to do the deal.

We plan to promptly seek comment from both teams. For now, though, the notion that the Broncos explored the option of moving on from Manning — especially with a new head coach and new offensive coordinator — seems plausible.

UPDATE 8:22 p.m. ET: The Broncos quickly, and emphatically, have denied the report.

Rotoworld:

The Broncos, their head of P.R., the Houston Chronicle, and the Denver Post have all been forced to refute a "report" Tuesday that the Broncos tried to trade Peyton Manning to the Texans earlier this offseason.

The "report" came from a Twitter account managed by an apparent radio personality whose station is no longer on air. It stated that the Broncos tried trading Manning to the Texans and were ready to begin the Brock Osweiler era under new coach Gary Kubiak. The Broncos refuted the story vehemently, which would happen even if it were true. The Houston Chronicle's John McClain contacted three sources he "trusts" in the Texans' organization to gauge the report's accuracy. All three said it was "not true." (We're not buying it, either.)

Related: Texans

Source: John McClain on Twitter
Jun 23 - 10:03 PM

Just got a text on this from the local sports station here in Houston. Had to reign in my wood as I read it and thought talks were currently on-going, instead of just the rumor that a trade had been mentioned at some point earlier.

Saw some reports that this was mentioned by Matt "Money" Smith on an NFLN podcast several weeks ago as well. Allbright has been pretty right on with a lot of his breaking news this year as well.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2015/06/24/source-confirms-texans-trade-talks-with-broncos-for-peyton-manning/

SportsRadio 610 has learned that the Broncos and Texans, did in fact, have “very preliminary” talks about the Houston Texans acquiring the future Hall of Fame quarterback this offseason, according to a source.

The talks between the two teams occurred before Peyton Manning signed his restructured deal with the Broncos and before the Texans signed free-agent quarterback Brian Hoyer.
Once the Texans signed Hoyer they were all set at QB already so the deal fell through.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2015/06/24/source-confirms-texans-trade-talks-with-broncos-for-peyton-manning/

SportsRadio 610 has learned that the Broncos and Texans, did in fact, have very preliminary talks about the Houston Texans acquiring the future Hall of Fame quarterback this offseason, according to a source.

The talks between the two teams occurred before Peyton Manning signed his restructured deal with the Broncos and before the Texans signed free-agent quarterback Brian Hoyer.
Once the Texans signed Hoyer they were all set at QB already so the deal fell through.
Made me laugh...thx!

Saw some reports that this was mentioned by Matt "Money" Smith on an NFLN podcast several weeks ago as well. Allbright has been pretty right on with a lot of his breaking news this year as well.
I listened to that podcast when it came out and that is pretty accurate. Smith phrased it as a question to Jeremiah. I'm paraphrasing a bit but he said when he did a game last year involving the Saints vs Bears he had picked up a strong feeling from people closely connected with the Saints that they were ready to move on from Graham. He said he was picking up the same kind of chatter at the NFL draft involving the Broncos coming close to trading Peyton to Houston and he posed this as a question to Jeremiah to see if he had heard the same thing. Jeremiah said no, he'd heard nothing like that.

Personally I believe it, not that it matters. But Peyton did not take a pay cut by choice or to help the team sign extra players. He took it because they made him and that says a lot. The whole evasive way Elway acted before Peyton redid his contract also spoke volumes to me.

Again none of this really matters for this next season but if you believe the rumors, and I do, I think it could mean that if Peyton decides to return in 2016 he might be relocating to his third NFL team.

For those of you that choose to believe this, what is your perspective as it relates to what this does or does not say about how the Broncos view Osweiler? Yes, i own him in my superflex dynasty.

For those of you that choose to believe this, what is your perspective as it relates to what this does or does not say about how the Broncos view Osweiler? Yes, i own him in my superflex dynasty.
As a Colorado native, I can tell you I was impressed with Brock's improvement last year in the pre-season as far as accuracy and how the ball comes out. But understand that is small sampling of passes. I can guarantee we are going to see a lot of him in preseason this season.

That being said, I do not know if this guy is the future of the Broncos. Now this is all my opinion, but he is gangly in the pocket. At 6'8 I believe he is the tallest NFL QB and he just looks uncomfortable.

IMO, he tends to tuck and run too often, but again this is with 3rd stringers in there.

Can he be a system QB under Kub's system and be successful is a big unknown. I just know I am not sold on him.

As far as the story--I don't buy it at all. I know people are tired of hearing this, but anything short of the SB this year, will be a failure for Denver fans. Kubiak wasn't brought in to rebuild. He was brought in to win it now--something Fox (and his conservative style) just couldn't make happen.

Users who are viewing this thread