What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

reseeding according to 2001 divisions (1 Viewer)

Die

Footballguy
3 division champs plus 3 wild cards. Top 2 seeds get a bye.

#1 Titans - champs of AFC Central

#2 Colts - champs of AFC East

#3 Chargers - champs of AFC West

#4 Steelers

#5 Ravens

#6 Dolphins

Round 1:

Dolphins @ Chargers

Ravens @ Steelers

#1 Giants - champs of NFC East

#2 Panthers - champs of NFC West

#3 Vikings - champs of NFC Central

#4 Falcons

#5 Eagles

#6 Buccaneers

Round 1:

Buccaneers @ Vikings

Eagles @ Falcons

Amazing facts:

1. The 8-8 Chargers still win the AFC West. The Patriots still miss.

2. The Cardinals miss the playoffs entirely.

3. The Buccaneers make the playoffs instead of the Cardinals. We actually have a 4-way tie for the Six among the 9-7 Cardinals, Buccaneers, Bears, and Cowboys. The critical tiebreaker is conference record. The Buccaneers went 8-4 in the NFC, while the rest all went 7-5.

4. Steelers vs Ravens isn't your AFC title game. Instead, its a wild card game.

5. The Colts go from a road wild card game to a bye!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing facts:1. The 8-8 Chargers still win the AFC West. The Patriots still miss.2. The Cardinals miss the playoffs entirely.3. The Buccaneers make the playoffs instead of the Cardinals. We actually have a 4-way tie for the Six among the 9-7 Cardinals, Buccaneers, Bears, and Cowboys. The critical tiebreaker is conference record. The Buccaneers went 8-4 in the NFC, while the rest all went 7-5.4. Steelers vs Ravens isn't your AFC title game. Instead, its a wild card game.5. The Colts go from a road wild card game to a bye!
Of course, the schedules would be drastically different as well; certainly some teams win more games and others lose more games. The Ravens and Steelers would each have played Tennessee again, etc. Plus, the last week(s) of the season might turn out differently if playoff spots/slots are more undecided.If you really want to shake things up, go back to the 1969 alignment when the Steelers and Cardinals were in the Century Division along with the Giants and Browns.P.S. I'm not sure those facts are "amazing" -- do you work in public relations?

3 division champs plus 3 wild cards. Top 2 seeds get a bye.

#1 Titans - champs of AFC Central

#2 Colts - champs of AFC East

#3 Chargers - champs of AFC West

#4 Steelers

#5 Ravens

#6 Dolphins

Round 1:

Dolphins @ Chargers

Ravens @ Steelers

#1 Giants - champs of NFC East

#2 Panthers - champs of NFC West

#3 Vikings - champs of NFC Central

#4 Falcons

#5 Eagles

#6 Buccaneers

Round 1:

Buccaneers @ Vikings

Eagles @ Falcons

Amazing facts:

1. The 8-8 Chargers still win the AFC West. The Patriots still miss.

2. The Cardinals miss the playoffs entirely.3. The Buccaneers make the playoffs instead of the Cardinals. We actually have a 4-way tie for the Six among the 9-7 Cardinals, Buccaneers, Bears, and Cowboys. The critical tiebreaker is conference record. The Buccaneers went 8-4 in the NFC, while the rest all went 7-5.

4. Steelers vs Ravens isn't your AFC title game. Instead, its a wild card game.

5. The Colts go from a road wild card game to a bye!
That is interesting. Not like the Cards need more reason to feel disrespected, but now even the stats are disrespecting them.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really want to shake things up, go back to the 1969 alignment when the Steelers and Cardinals were in the Century Division along with the Giants and Browns.
Or back when they were the Carpitts.
Or back to the 1936 alignment. In that case your playoff teams would be the Cardinals, Bears, Packers, Giants, Lions, Redskins, Eagles, and Steelers. Heck, half of those teams made it anyway.

Of course, the schedules would be drastically different as well; certainly some teams win more games and others lose more games. The Ravens and Steelers would each have played Tennessee again, etc. Plus, the last week(s) of the season might turn out differently if playoff spots/slots are more undecided.
I titled the thread "reseeding according to 2001 divisions". I said nothing about rescheduling. :goodposting: HTH

Of course, the schedules would be drastically different as well; certainly some teams win more games and others lose more games. The Ravens and Steelers would each have played Tennessee again, etc. Plus, the last week(s) of the season might turn out differently if playoff spots/slots are more undecided.
I titled the thread "reseeding according to 2001 divisions". I said nothing about rescheduling. :thumbup: HTH
The whole point of my post is that you cannot simply reseed based on the divisions. I understand that the whole thing is a hypothetical exercise, but if you're going to do it, at least acknowledge that the records of the teams would almost certainly change by 1-2 games each because of the difference in scheduling. While none of it is relevant, ignoring the fact that schedules would be significantly different in a six-division NFL vs. an eight-division NFL is particularly irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread