What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Restaurant Overcharge - It's teh Principle (1 Viewer)

Chemical X

Footballguy
So, 2 weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon, me and wife hit a local italian place for a couple of drinks, glass of wine, bellini, yadda. Bill was around $33 and change and i left about a 50% tip, rounding the charge to make sure my Credit Card charge was an even $50-. My amex bill was charged $50.52. Obviously not an issue for a FBG, but an overcharge nonetheless. I sent them an email thru their website and didn't receive a reply, but i got a $5- credit on amex. Fast forward to this Saturday, hit them again for some drinks and an appetizer. Bill was about $66 or so and i left about 50%, rounding to make sure the charge was an even $100-. I just like the even number on my bill, debit card, etc......Charge just came thru on amex and it's for $101.48, over again. So, rather than email or call, i'm going to stop in and speak to a manager to see why this happens. Any ideas why this occurs? Human error, machine error or a sneaky way to grab extra bucks from me and others? Seems odd to happen 2x in a row.

So the processing fee is .0158 -

they are charging you the fee on the food only and not the tip.

$33 * .0158 = .52

if the bill was
$66.30 * .0158 = 1.0475

Total guess AND FINAL ANSWER

ETA: Had math wrong :bag: op said 1.48 lol

Last edited:
Hitting you with the processing fee? Looks like its just over 1% for both

Either way its wrong
Huh? It was less on the $100 than it was on the $50.

I’d assume it was a mistake on the entry of the tip amount so that it didn’t round like you left 33.48 to round it to $100 and they entered 100.48 as the total.

Happening twice would make me suspicious that the server isn’t banking a little extra each bill but if you’ve been there a bunch of times and it’s never happened before it could easily be a mistake. If it was two different servers then I’d say mistake. If it happens again, I would say something but the $5 credit has already covered it so not worth the effort. I do find it interesting that Amex already decided a $5 credit was cheaper than working on a dispute for $0.52.

So the processing fee is .0158 -

they are charging you the fee on the food only and not the tip.

$33 * .0158 = .52

if the bill was
$66.30 * .0158 = 1.0475

Total guess AND FINAL ANSWER
Math error. Second total was $100.48, not $101.05.

Either way its wrong

I’d assume it was a mistake on the entry of the tip amount so that it didn’t round like you left 33.48 to round it to $100 and they entered 100.48 as the total.

Happening twice would make me suspicious that the server isn’t banking a little extra each bill but if you’ve been there a bunch of times and it’s never happened before it could easily be a mistake. If it was two different servers then I’d say mistake. If it happens again, I would say something but the $5 credit has already covered it so not worth the effort. I do find it interesting that Amex already decided a $5 credit was cheaper than working on a dispute for $0.52.
huh? OP said 101.48 not 100.48

Either way its wrong

see above

I'd ask the manager on the next time through. I agree that it is important. They should be transparent with their charges or there could be some type of system error happening that they aren't even aware of.

Either way its wrong

I’m really confused, could have sworn it originally said $100.48, not $101.48, but it was really $101.08. Still not exactly the same fee but could be one of those 0.75%+$0.29 variable fees that comes out to 0.52 on $50 and 1.48 on $100. Hmm, even that likely wouldn’t work because the $100 would have the lesser fee. I’m sticking with dumb server math where they used the rounded tip amount when entering the total.

Either way its wrong

see above
How much was the 66 bill exactly?@#!?#!?@

Since Chemical says the 2nd charge was actually 101.08 rather than 101.48, it looks like the second has a 1.08% surcharge and the first had a 1.04% surcharge. I believe some places charge more to process Amex cards. Either way, why are you giving this place more business and tipping so well? They didn't even dignify your email with a response!

Since Chemical says the 2nd charge was actually 101.08 rather than 101.48, it looks like the second has a 1.08% surcharge and the first had a 1.04% surcharge. I believe some places charge more to process Amex cards. Either way, why are you giving this place more business and tipping so well? They didn't even dignify your email with a response!
Valid points. Teh first time, they gave me back $5-. So, a mistake is a mistake. I assume honest. 2nd time I tipped high because of 2 things 1) the bartender who took care of us is Italian and speaks Italian fluently. We are learning Italian and had some conversation in Italian, which I appreciated 2) he then brought us some free bruschetta and 2 glasses of prosecco, likely $20- on the menu.

After this second time, I really can't return unless I'm given a decent explanation on why the over....I assume i'll get a mea culpa and some type of voucher.

I'd say something chiding or negative, but your postings about Italy in the Mad Cow Italy thread were so good and helped us so much in Italy that I'll just tip my cap and move along.

Good luck learning Italian!

we have a local bar we frequent that passes along the cc charge. but it is very clear in the bill they give you. and if you pay cash, they remove it before closing the tab.

we have a local bar we frequent that passes along the cc charge. but it is very clear in the bill they give you. and if you pay cash, they remove it before closing the tab.
yeah, maybe i am just not reading, but i’d love to know if i am to eat the fee.

Have run restaurants my whole adult life. You are absolutely correct. Any charge like this needs to be very clearly posted (often on the menu and the bill).

Have run restaurants my whole adult life. You are absolutely correct. Any charge like this needs to be very clearly posted (often on the menu and the bill).
I know why people do this, but this seems outdated.

Years ago, when cash was still a thing, a restaurant could add this fee, especially if you were PO'd about AMEX fees. You could make the argument to a guest.

Now, unless your restaurant is mostly cash, and good for you if it is, you are adding on a fee to almost every check. Raise the prices on a couple popular items, and that will more than cover the CC processing fees. Then you won't have people wondering what this extra fee is, and the ones who notice are the ones who will not be happy with the explanation, and leave the place thinking you are being sneaky.

CC fees are a part of doing business, and businesses should just fold that into their pricing. Having an extra fee like paying with a card is so odd they have to charge you extra is a very 1970's strategy.

I know why people do this, but this seems outdated.

Years ago, when cash was still a thing, a restaurant could add this fee, especially if you were PO'd about AMEX fees. You could make the argument to a guest.

Now, unless your restaurant is mostly cash, and good for you if it is, you are adding on a fee to almost every check. Raise the prices on a couple popular items, and that will more than cover the CC processing fees. Then you won't have people wondering what this extra fee is, and the ones who notice are the ones who will not be happy with the explanation, and leave the place thinking you are being sneaky.

CC fees are a part of doing business, and businesses should just fold that into their pricing. Having an extra fee like paying with a card is so odd they have to charge you extra is a very 1970's strategy.
Agreed

Our favorite Italian takeout place just recently started doing this (it’s posted).

I find it annoying actually. If they had raised every item on the menu $.10 I wouldn’t have minded a bit

Users who are viewing this thread