What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Restaurants have gotten so expensive……also recycling and phone apps (7 Viewers)

And to add, lots of people here travel and have experiences they can share from other places. And of course, the internet helps to understand bigger picture trends.

Back to McDonald's hash browns. I run a small establishment and while I am in a purchasing group, my prices aren't as low as bigger accounts.
I can buy the triangle hash browns patties for 22 cents each. I know McD's are rectangular, but I would hazard a guess they are 2ounces as well.

That's interesting. Can you tell us more about your business?

In the boat industry, we had a Buying Group as well where we teamed up wtih about 20 other boatbuilders to pool our purchasing power. It was super important for us.
Joe, I run a foodservice for a group of nuns. Somehow after years of restaurants and country clubs, i ended up here. We belong to a national purchasing group called Premier.
They source everything a hospital or nursing home could use. There are over 4500 hospital and health systems in the group. There are also thousands of others like schools, B&I etc.
The contracts run for three years and every product goes out for a rfp on a rotating basis. The products are approved for use by a panel of end users. Prices can only be raised due to an act of God.
I can buy Kraft mayo for $12 a gallon and Hellmans is $22. The difference between being a contracted manufacturer and not being one.

Back to McDonald's hash browns. I run a small establishment and while I am in a purchasing group, my prices aren't as low as bigger accounts.
I can buy the triangle hash browns patties for 22 cents each. I know McD's are rectangular, but I would hazard a guess they are 2ounces as well.
When landrys Purchased mastros, food costs went down 11% over night.

I will gladly and repeatedly pay $100 to hang with a good friend and eat some mediocre food and have a few beers. Seriously

Sure. That's what he's saying and for people in that economic situation, others will also do that.

My point is I worry for restaurants if "pay what the customer described as an incredulous amount for wings and beers in a unique situation" is a sustainable customer base.

Ehhhh, Buffalo Wildwings is owned by the same hedge fund that owns and operates Arby's (which is a place I've never understood for its popularity or ability to thrive). I think they've got the blueprint for sustainability down, even if it's a bit of a head-scratcher.

I don't know. Big companies can still fail.

Oh, all the time. Just making mention that this one is no longer publicly traded as it was 4ish years ago and the hedge fund that runs and operates BWW answers to nobody. If they're seeing pushback from consumers on pricing and sales are down, we won't know it the way we did or the way we do with McD or Yum Brands who have to issue quarterly reports and offer guidance.

Guessing these guys care about their customers as Montgomery Burns does about his Springfield nuclear power consumers.

Let the fools have their tartar sauce

That's interesting. Can you tell us more about your business?

In the boat industry, we had a Buying Group as well where we teamed up wtih about 20 other boatbuilders to pool our purchasing power. It was super important for us.
Joe, I run a foodservice for a group of nuns. Somehow after years of restaurants and country clubs, i ended up here. We belong to a national purchasing group called Premier.
They source everything a hospital or nursing home could use. There are over 4500 hospital and health systems in the group. There are also thousands of others like schools, B&I etc.
The contracts run for three years and every product goes out for a rfp on a rotating basis. The products are approved for use by a panel of end users. Prices can only be raised due to an act of God.
I can buy Kraft mayo for $12 a gallon and Hellmans is $22. The difference between being a contracted manufacturer and not being one.

Thank you. That's amazing. I'd love to hear more as you have special insight on this.

When landrys Purchased mastros, food costs went down 11% over night.

We had a similar situation when we joined the purchasing group with Bryant Boats. The same exact material from the same supplier dropped about 10%.

We were at Disney springs today (outside mall on Disney property with a bunch of celebrity chef restaurants) and one place had guacamole at 18 bucks and the deviled eggs appetizers at 15. Now, it’s in Disney property so I expect some price bumps but it’s getting ridiculous. I’m tired of it.

We were at Disney springs today (outside mall on Disney property with a bunch of celebrity chef restaurants) and one place had guacamole at 18 bucks and the deviled eggs appetizers at 15. Now, it’s in Disney property so I expect some price bumps but it’s getting ridiculous. I’m tired of it.
Do like I do and go to a Mexican restaurant and eat the free chips and salsa and drink water, then get up and leave.

just in case someone takes this seriously, don’t. :)

Last edited:

We got a side of pomme purée (aka mashed potatoes) at a fancy French place today. $10 and it was about the size of a ramekin

We got a side of pomme purée (aka mashed potatoes) at a fancy French place today. $10 and it was about the size of a ramekin

Sucks. We cook a lot but like having a night off. These prices make it not worth it.

There are a lot of questionable posts in here but this takes the cake. Those prices seem cheap for Disney.

Sucks. We cook a lot but like having a night off. These prices make it not worth it.

Yeah we are trying to do 1 nice dinner a month just the 2 of us. Between dinner and drinks afterwards it was like $350

I will gladly and repeatedly pay $100 to hang with a good friend and eat some mediocre food and have a few beers. Seriously

Sure. That's what he's saying and for people in that economic situation, others will also do that.

My point is I worry for restaurants if "pay what the customer described as an incredulous amount for wings and beers in a unique situation" is a sustainable customer base.

Ehhhh, Buffalo Wildwings is owned by the same hedge fund that owns and operates Arby's (which is a place I've never understood for its popularity or ability to thrive). I think they've got the blueprint for sustainability down, even if it's a bit of a head-scratcher.

Went to BWW last month only because a friend was already there, the so called boneless wings were like overpriced McNuggets but with sauce.

I will never go there on my own accord. Bill was high, food was bad.

Went to BWW last month only because a friend was already there, the so called boneless wings were like overpriced McNuggets but with sauce.

Thursday BOGO on boneless - 30 carry out for 17.99 - 22.36 after tax and tip.

Thursday BOGO on boneless - 30 carry out for 17.99 - 22.36 after tax and tip.

Just don`t think the boneless is a quality product.

Not sure if Wing Snob is national, but by far the best boneless I ever had. They hand dip them fresh, not frozen nuggets from a 20lb bag.

There are a lot of questionable posts in here but this takes the cake. Those prices seem cheap for Disney.
Nah. Those deviled egg apps were about 8 bucks a few years ago. Go to that place somewhat frequently.

Nah. Those deviled egg apps were about 8 bucks a few years ago. Go to that place somewhat frequently.
My wife makes great deviled eggs at a good price.

I went to the Cheesecake Factory for the first time in many years. $65 for a huge Mexicali salad, avocado tacos (fried), sausage mushroom rigatoni, and 1 draft rubia blonde ale ($8.25). I ate most of the salad and the tacos, she had the rigatoni. She couldn't finish her plate, so we brought home about a third of it. Of course bread was included. The salad was good with crunchy pieces of jicama, white beans, pepitas, fire-roasted corn, avocado, etc and a slightly spicy chili-lime dressing. I'd rate the avocado tacos as very good. She said her plate was OK. We were too full for the cheesecake, which was about $10 for a huge slice, a better bargain than the $6.29 at Publix for a skinny slice with strawberries. I almost had a 2nd beer, but I'm trying to be mindful of what I'm eating and drinking.

I went to the Cheesecake Factory for the first time in many years. $65 for a huge Mexicali salad, avocado tacos (fried), sausage mushroom rigatoni, and 1 draft rubia blonde ale ($8.25). I ate most of the salad and the tacos, she had the rigatoni. She couldn't finish her plate, so we brought home about a third of it. Of course bread was included. The salad was good with crunchy pieces of jicama, white beans, pepitas, fire-roasted corn, avocado, etc and a slightly spicy chili-lime dressing. I'd rate the avocado tacos as very good. She said her plate was OK. We were too full for the cheesecake, which was about $10 for a huge slice, a better bargain than the $6.29 at Publix for a skinny slice with strawberries. I almost had a 2nd beer, but I'm trying to be mindful of what I'm eating and drinking.
I used to like Cheesecake Factory. They have a great menu. I’ve noticed the quality of the food isn’t what it used to be, or so it seems. Add in the increased expense and it isn’t the experience it used to be.

Homecomin’ is one of my least favorite restaurants in DS :scared:

I don't know. The guy complaining that the potato thing with a french name at a fancy french restaurant may be worse

A deviled eggs app - with crumbled chicken skins is $12 at a Cajun-Fusion restaurant near me. It’s three eggs - split into halves - so I consider that a little steep but have still ordered it a few times. I think we can all “nickel and dime” ourselves in our own heads at times and if I go out, I just hope to have fun and good food and not worry about the price. Obviously within reason - I’m not saying I’ll pay whatever it takes.

Life circumstances put me in a different position to most in here so I realize why price matters to most people - but if my bill with tip comes to $53 instead of $47, I’m not going to sweat it.

Homecomin’ is one of my least favorite restaurants in DS :scared:
It was pretty bad yesterday. The fried chicken was disappointing. The breading wasn’t fried through all the way.

Last edited:

A deviled eggs app - with crumbled chicken skins is $12 at a Cajun-Fusion restaurant near me. It’s three eggs - split into halves - so I consider that a little steep but have still ordered it a few times. I think we can all “nickel and dime” ourselves in our own heads at times and if I go out, I just hope to have fun and good food and not worry about the price. Obviously within reason - I’m not saying I’ll pay whatever it takes.

Life circumstances put me in a different position to most in here so I realize why price matters to most people - but if my bill with tip comes to $53 instead of $47, I’m not going to sweat it.
lol at I'm in a different tax bracket so I can afford the deviled eggs. Good shtick. The 15 dollar eggs weren’t the most expensive thing I got at Disney man. Just an observation.

lol at I'm in a different tax bracket so I can afford the deviled eggs. Good shtick. The 15 dollar eggs weren’t the most expensive thing I got at Disney man. Just an observation.
I wasn’t saying that at all. I was saying I no longer have a family due to a divorce and other events (“life circumstances”) so I have more disposable income. I make decent money (especially for just one person and a dog) but probably about average for here.

I'm not sure why restaurants tax so much on guacamole. There was a shortage at some point during Covid but prices have come back down. I blame the whole avocado toast fad. Routinely see cafes asking for $15-20 for the simple concoction. I feel like Travolta in Pulp Fiction with his milkshake rant "you know that's just bread and avocados".

I wasn’t saying that at all. I was saying I no longer have a family due to a divorce and other events (“life circumstances”) so I have more disposable income. I make decent money (especially for just one person and a dog) but probably about average for here.
It’s all good man. It was an annoyance but it didn’t ruin our weekend or anything. The $13 cookie was closer to doing that.

I'm not sure why restaurants tax so much on guacamole. There was a shortage at some point during Covid but prices have come back down. I blame the whole avocado toast fad. Routinely see cafes asking for $15-20 for the simple concoction. I feel like Travolta in Pulp Fiction with his milkshake rant "you know that's just bread and avocados".
Good question, avocado's are not expensive and guac is easy to make. Seems like it's the trick to keep the price of something high even after the reason it was increased to begin with no longer exists. Customer's are used to it so why bring it back down.

It’s all good man. It was an annoyance but it didn’t ruin our weekend or anything. The $13 cookie was closer to doing that.
Yeah - no worries. I could make you feel bad by going into those “other events” but I can see why you could interpret what I said as bragging about being wealthy.

I don't know. The guy complaining that the potato thing with a french name at a fancy french restaurant may be worse

It was literally like 1 potato and some butter. For $10

The 6 slices of cheese and a sliver of Brie for $18 wasn’t much better

Yeah we are trying to do 1 nice dinner a month just the 2 of us. Between dinner and drinks afterwards it was like $350
what you get for that $350?

It was literally like 1 potato and some butter. For $10

The 6 slices of cheese and a sliver of Brie for $18 wasn’t much better
That's what you get at a "fancy french place"

we used to love eating out - and still do, but we both are frugal enough where we don't do it as much. I picked up a nice 2 lb wild salmon at Costco for $28 and swung by Aldi for salad stuff. We grilled the salmon with a spicy glaze and made a coconut rice with toasted almonds and a big caesar salad - total cost was less than $35 (had some odds/ends at home).

we'll get 2 dinners out of that - and minimal clean up.

I remember in my youth when Red Lobster was a treat. I've learned to appreciate a wonderful experience when fine dining. I don't mind paying but with that cost a solid experience must also be provided. Moving to the south it's harder to find. It's more about the food here then the overall ambiance.

What a happy place!

we used to love eating out - and still do, but we both are frugal enough where we don't do it as much. I picked up a nice 2 lb wild salmon at Costco for $28 and swung by Aldi for salad stuff. We grilled the salmon with a spicy glaze and made a coconut rice with toasted almonds and a big caesar salad - total cost was less than $35 (had some odds/ends at home).

$14/Lb for salmon? Was it Copper River? That seems high, but I live in the land of salmon.

$14/Lb for salmon? Was it Copper River? That seems high, but I live in the land of salmon.

don't remember but that is a good price for wild salmon in Arkansas - we have no fishmonger and the best place to get fish is usually Fresh Market and it's $18+.

Spent all morning at the hospital yesterday with my dad. Didn't get anything to eat so by noon, I was starving.
On a break, I had to swap out a modem at the Xfinity store and saw that I was very close to Killer Burger, owned by former Ducks' legend LaMichael (French for "The Michael") James. It lured me in like a Siren's Song.

I ordered the Bender Burger with fries and a Manny's Pale Ale. Tipped 15%. $24.09.

I inhaled the burger. It was delicious.
Bacon, Spicy BBQ, Crispy Jalapeño, House Sauce, Grilled Onion, Cheddar.

I'm not making that at home. It was tremendous. I could have eaten 2 of 'em.

On the surface, $25 for a burger, fries, and a beer seems steep, but I didn't feel cheated or anything. Hungry as I was, I would have paid $55 and waddled away happy. But I can see how some might take issue with the current cost of restaurant food.

don't remember but that is a good price for wild salmon in Arkansas - we have no fishmonger and the best place to get fish is usually Fresh Market and it's $18+.

I love salmon, so that seems worth it to me given your location. I'll pay up for Copper River or King's salmon when it's around. So good and good for you!

Spent all morning at the hospital yesterday with my dad. Didn't get anything to eat so by noon, I was starving.
On a break, I had to swap out a modem at the Xfinity store and saw that I was very close to Killer Burger, owned by former Ducks' legend LaMichael (French for "The Michael") James. It lured me in like a Siren's Song.

I ordered the Bender Burger with fries and a Manny's Pale Ale. Tipped 15%. $24.09.

On the surface, $25 for a burger, fries, and a beer seems steep, but I didn't feel cheated or anything. Hungry as I was, I would have paid $55 and waddled away happy. But I can see how some might take issue with the current cost of restaurant food.
Thanks for sharing and I hope your dad is doing better. I have ZERO problem paying 25 bucks for a kiss *** burger and a beer.

Last edited:
I used to like Cheesecake Factory. They have a great menu. I’ve noticed the quality of the food isn’t what it used to be, or so it seems. Add in the increased expense and it isn’t the experience it used to be.
Cheesecake was a popular place for my family to go for birthday celebrations when many of them still lived in town, cause of the big number of selections on the menu. The one I went to yesterday opened last year and I was satisfied with the few food items I chose. The place was very clean, bathroom, table, menus weren't sticky like in many restaurants. The staff went through about a month of training before opening with a 1-week soft opening where the employees invited family and friend. The portions on other tables looked large, I walk by there often and see many carrying out doggie bags. It's not mom and pop but the staff is well-trained and the portion to price ratio is good.

14 is probably about average out here in the twin cities. Sometimes you can get some sale stuff for 10 bucks

Cheesecake was a popular place for my family to go for birthday celebrations when many of them still lived in town, cause of the big number of selections on the menu. The one I went to yesterday opened last year and I was satisfied with the few food items I chose. The place was very clean, bathroom, table, menus weren't sticky like in many restaurants. The staff went through about a month of training before opening with a 1-week soft opening where the employees invited family and friend. The portions on other tables looked large, I walk by there often and see many carrying out doggie bags. It's not mom and pop but the staff is well-trained and the portion to price ratio is good.
We go to the one at Southdale Mall in Minneapolis sometimes and it isn’t very good and the service wasn’t either. I remember going to one in Columbus, Ohio that was good however.

$25 for two cheesesteaks and 2 drinks at Delco’s today. It’s slightly pricier than it used to be, but not crazy imo.

Escargot
Cheese plate
Duck breast entree for me
Salmon entree for wife
2 cocktails each with dinner
Creme brûlée
4 macaroons

2 more cocktails for me and 1 for her at another bar afterwards

Escargot
Cheese plate
Salmon entree for wife
Creme brûlée
4 macaroons

Le Supreme? How was it?

That sounds like a quality burger and a fair price for all that. Sub a milkshake and you're likely paying around the same at a crappy ff/fast casual place - that's what pisses me off.

Escargot
Cheese plate
Salmon entree for wife
Creme brûlée
4 macaroons

Le Supreme? How was it?
Yeah

It was good not great. Good atmosphere and service, food was fine, I’d probably go back but wife wasn’t a huge fan of the menu choices

Users who are viewing this thread