What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Revisiting The Young Turks 2016 Election Meltdown Over Trump's Stunning Victory (7/7/2022 9:35 PST) (1 Viewer)

GordonGekko

Footballguy
VIDEO: The Young Turks Election Meltdown 2016 Nov 13, 2016

TYT’s actual election night coverage got 4.5 million viewers—a record for them—over a nearly 12-hour broadcast. These are the "highlights"

What I don’t like about it, however, is that vitriol: the nastiness and the dead certainty that those who voted for Trump were ignorant, racist morons. (I shared the sick feeling of loss, but never the rage.) That misses the underlying dynamic that drove this election: whatever it was, it was more than a bunch of idiots and racists—KKK supporters some said—who simply wanted a President who shared their bigotry.... What bothers me is the kind of smug, dismissive attitude toward our opponents that will hinder us Leftists from regrouping and having substantial political power. For if we get that power, we must appeal to a wider audience and, if we can’t share some of the values of our opponents, at least find some common ground with them and concentrate on the problems of all the dispossessed, disadvantaged, and deprived....

2:09 Aida Rodriguez says that people don’t like Hillary Clinton simply “because she has a vagina”. (Repeats this claim at 13:41, saying that Clinton lost “because she was a woman”).

8:59  Cenk Uygur has a tantrum about the Democratic Party: he says he’s at “war” with it for allowing Clinton to be defeated by a bigot. (Wasn’t he in favor of Hillary?) Later he calls them “f------- morons.”

14:53: Ana Kasparian says that women who voted for Trump are “f------ dumb”, and says, “I’m losing my mind tonight because of how stupid the majority of the country is.”

19:20: Aida Rodriguez calls the people criticizing her on Twitter “m------f-----s” and gives the camera two middle fingers

19:33: Ana Kasparian addresses those whom (she thinks) voted for Trump because they don’t like affirmative action. She says, “Affirmative action is not the reason you failed in life. You failed in life because you f------ suck! Because you’re a loser!”

23:08: The team turns on Hillary, starts blaming her for the loss. "Not every Trump supporter is a racist, but every racist is a Trump supporter"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiWY0iRLV94

https://whyevolutionistrue.com/2016/11/20/the-young-turks-lose-it-over-the-election/

VIDEO: Why the Left Think They are Better | Peter Hitchens Dec 11, 2018

Peter Hitchens explains why he thinks Left sees itself as progressive, with morality on its side.

"You cannot really debate against anybody who despises you."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qCHRYMe66g

VIDEO: HALL OF THE TRUMPEN KING Election Night Classic Apr 9, 2017

Just three days after Donald Trump announced his candidacy for president in June of last year, conservative columnist Ann Coulter suggested on “Real Time with Bill Maher” that he had the best shot at the GOP nomination, meeting with thunderous laughter from the studio audience. Of course, now it appears she was right.

“Of the declared ones, right now, Donald Trump,” Coulter said when asked which GOP candidate had the best chance of winning the nomination.

Roundtable guests Rep. Luis Gutiérrez, Joy Reid and Matt Lewis looked shocked at her answer and the crowd erupted in guffaws....Conservative pundit and author Coulter was mocked again, later in the segment, for suggesting that Bernie Sanders would make a better Democratic candidate than Hillary Clinton. Keep in mind, this was nearly a year ago, when Clinton was viewed as an unstoppable force and long before Sanders gained the support that has kept him in the race to this day. Many Democratic voters now agree with Coulter’s theory....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IMrbync0cc

VIDEO Why didn't Clinton concede in front of supporters Nov 9, 2016 CBS News

Hillary Clinton's campaign chair told supporters at her campaign headquarters the race was too close to call, but not long after, Donald Trump said Clinton called her to concede. Why the mixed messages? CBSN's political panel discusses.

"She has always been with you!" - John Podesta, giving Hillary Clinton's concession for her in front of all her supporters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gFZvXjnmxQ

VIDEOWoman screams as Donald Trump is sworn in as President Jan 21, 2017

One woman screams NO as Donald Trump is declared 45th President of the United States of America.

"I'm so sorry to my world...this is not what we want!" - Jessica Starr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDYNVH0U3cs

"Talk about how historically pathetic the Democratic Party is, that they let this guy, who has never had any success in business, he's has a track record of monumental failure, and they let him win the Presidency and become the most powerful man.... The Democratic Party is gone. But I'm at war with the Democratic Party! This corporatist weak spineless pathetic Party that....handed power to a raging, not just bigot, but an incompetent! I'm done with those losers....I don't care what the donors want!....(Hours Later) ....Hey look man, you gotta give us power man, because without money, you don't have power, let's keep it real...."    -  Cenk Uygur, Election Night 2016

"I have no respect for women who voted for Trump...I think so poorly of them.... I don't think you are a single issue voter.  I just think you are dumb....That I started playing mind games on myself as well...these are the racists that don't want to take personal responsibility for their failures in life...they aren't going to vote for Democrats...."  - Ana Kasparian, Election Night 2016

"The left think they are right, and not merely that, they think they are better people"  - Peter Hitchens

No one was entitled to victory in the 2016 general election. It was not preordained. Hillary Clinton did not have some kind of Asgardian feudal birthright to ascend to POTUS. Something I want to highlight is that Hillary Clinton is NOT a victim. But she and many of her supporters have gone to great lengths to present her as such to the American public. No one made her marry a man who was accused of multiple rapes. No one forced her to laugh at a rape victim in Kathy Shelton, defend the rapist legally, and then get caught on tape doing it.  No one forced her to actions/inaction/statements/positions on Benghazi. No one made her call so many every day working class people as "deplorables"  No one made her conspire with Debbie Wasserman Schultz to steal the 2016 primaries from Bernie Sanders and have WikiLeaks break that wide open. No one made her ignore the constant pleas not to have a private email server. No one made her nor Bill Clinton turn their White House run into a relentless grifting enterprise for personal wealth. No one forced her to abandon practical campaign strategy in several states.

The 2016 election loss of Hillary Clinton is proof of life that "woke" is not a practical tenable ideology on which to base a functioning society. If we live in a world where power is distributed and weaponized based on victim-hood, this only encourages every last single American to wage all out war amongst each other over even the tiniest of their irreconcilable hurt feelings.

The Democratic Party cannot attain power and hold power without the support and votes of every day working class people. Those average day to day Americans feel more and more disconnected from the belief that woke Team Blue elitists and Limousine Liberals are going to do anything more than bend the knee to their corporate big donor overlords.

What do you generally think about Election Night in 2016?

What did the people around you say and what was their reaction in the few days and weeks that followed Election Night in 2016?

How did you feel about those responses? Did you agree with those responses?

Do you believe the left and Team Blue felt entitled to a 2016 POTUS victory?

Where do you think Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign went wrong?

How do you feel about Hillary Clinton refusing to address her supporters in concession and instead sending out notorious dark money bagman John Podesta to do it for her?

How do you feel about The Young Turks response to Trump's stunning 2016 victory?

Is Peter Hitchens right? Does the radical left despise everyone who disagrees with their ideology?

Is Peter Hitchens correct? Does the left think they are just plain better people?

I'll leave this here for others to discuss.

I had a liberal tell me straight up a couple of years ago my ideas/beliefs/views were wrong and I simply needed stopped at any cost

A few weeks ago here, talking about guns, I asked about a compromise and I was told basically that I was in the minority and there would be no compromise, I'd be hammered into submission and they didn't need me permission or agreement.

That's the left right now - agree with them, shake your head or you'll be labeled, name called, hated and attempted to be destroyed. 

Why is this worth revisiting?  Who cares about these people or a reaction to something that happened over 5 years ago?

2060: Will you be proud of your FBG/message boards/social media posts from 2000 on?

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/804923-2060-will-you-be-proud-of-your-fbgmessage-boardssocial-media-posts-from-2000-on/

^

Your question is fair enough. I was inspired by a post made yesterday about political regret in hindsight.

What did the people around you say and what was their reaction in the few days and weeks that followed Election Night in 2016?

Do you believe the left and Team Blue felt entitled to a 2016 POTUS victory?

How do you feel about Hillary Clinton refusing to address her supporters in concession and instead sending out notorious dark money bagman John Podesta to do it for her?

How do you feel about The Young Turks response to Trump's stunning 2016 victory?

Is Peter Hitchens right? Does the radical left despise everyone who disagrees with their ideology?

Is Peter Hitchens correct? Does the left think they are just plain better people?

I took the time to answer one of your questions, feel free to answer one of mine, or several of mine and join the larger discussion here. Now I can't make you do that. But if you don't, it becomes clear you just wanted to run a purity test on myself for sport.

Of course, after all these years, I think better of you than that. But maybe I'm wrong. I guess we'll both find out very soon.

A few weeks ago here, talking about guns, I asked about a compromise and I was told basically that I was in the minority and there would be no compromise, I'd be hammered into submission and they didn't need me permission or agreement.

I have to admit Stealthycat, you were right and I was wrong about a very specific gun issue. Regarding a discussion we had over a year ago here in the PSF on gun regulation and gun laws. I said I would trade a nearly full universal ban on handguns in exchange for nearly open acceptance of "Main Battle Rifles"  I.E. this would fulfill 2A and remove the larger threat that handguns presented in the actual numbers in shooting incidents/murders/deaths, etc.

You pointed out back then that any concession would simply be met with greater and greater demands to take all guns. And that to do so would not be seen as a sign of negotiation, but a position of weakness to be exploited.

I believe you understand I was actually discussing policy that would fix some of the gun violence problem in good faith. I'm Pro 2A but I recognize even Pro 2A need to make some changes for the better of our society. However you are correct, and I was wrong about this gun issue, you were right about it, good faith isn't going to work here in this specific situation.

Which is kind of tragic honestly. Finding someone who is Pro 2A willing to give up nearly all handguns is a huge concession. But you are right, the hard left would get too grab happy and just demand more and more until we were all disarmed. So now I've shifted more over to your side of things on this, we have to hard line the protection of all gun rights, even the ones I'm weary on, because of this encroachment.

It's kind of amusing, I just admitted I was wrong about specifically this firearms issue, but I suspect the radical left here won't be satisfied with that and will demand I say in public that I've been wrong about everything I've talked about here for the last 16 years. Until then, I'll likely just be carpet bombed with purity tests.

It's just greedy.

However I'm not sure Peter Hitchens was totally right here. I don't think the radical left here despises me. I just think they are jealous that I can eat Oreos faster than they can.

Why is this worth revisiting?  Who cares about these people or a reaction to something that happened over 5 years ago?
Just people being ridiculous and asserting their opinion.  A great deal of people in this country aren't happy unless they're complaining about something "making their life miserable."   It's a combination of mental illness and just flat out being a hypocrite.

At least we still get to see 45's ongoing meltdown. The one where he and his sycophants were willing to burn down democracy.

But sure, we can go back and laugh at the reactions from five and half years ago. Boy, were they totally wrong!

its not just topic either

the left still stop at nothing to get their agenda - and honestly believe that mean they'll do ANYTHING to push it through, justifying any means if the ends get met
Hypocrisy again.  I honestly can't believe "adults" can't grasp reality.  It's scary how polarizing politics have become in the last 15+ years.  

I had a liberal tell me straight up a couple of years ago my ideas/beliefs/views were wrong and I simply needed stopped at any cost

That's the left right now - agree with them, shake your head or you'll be labeled, name called, hated and attempted to be destroyed. 
There’s a thread here where a poster labels all pro-choice people “satanic baby-killers.” 

There are nonsensical extremes on both sides. 

There’s a thread here where a poster labels all pro-choice people “satanic baby-killers.” 

There are nonsensical extremes on both sides. 
Another poster labels people radical leftists.  Another liberal thugs and fascist bigots.

All within the last week or so.

But sure, we can go back and laugh at the reactions from five and half years ago. Boy, were they totally wrong!

Cenk Uygur and Ana Kasparian were not without some major points about the 2016 general cycle. ( Unfortunately they are often crass and confrontational because of their viewer demographics) Hence I've always said just because you don't like someone doesn't automatically mean that they are wrong, and when they are wrong, it doesn't mean they are ruled out from sometimes actually having a good point.

Uygur was right about two critical factors in 2016

1) The polling industry was very unreliable. Heavy reliance on polling numbers, especially from 538 (Silver) and from Princeton (Wang) created bad Blue campaign strategy that was not proactive enough

2) Establishment Democrats refused to embrace a true populist candidate despite signs of a push back from every day working class people about corporate type shill candidates that started to simmer during the entire Obama regime.

Kasparian held firm about the 2016 being a critical juncture for a "disruptive" political event. I.E. a ground swell of previous mentioned push back that had root causes across all major sectors ( education, entertainment, finance, military, etc, etc)  and that there was a massive "disconnect" between the Team Blue stocking stuffer type establishment cut outs and the actual on the ground electorate.

Someone like Clinton or a Podesta or a Wasserman Schultz, so filled with their own myopic arrogance,  would never consider the points of a Uygur or a Kasparian, merely, as strategist Mark Penn coined it, "dismissed as simply right wing talking points even if evidence showed the people at large agreed"

From a strategy standpoint, something that Penn skirted around but I'll say out loud is Clinton raised a lot of money and laundered a lot of money to buy votes she already had. There was never a practical consideration about the votes she didn't have. Lots of people in the DNC actually quietly knew Clinton would likely lose, they just said nothing as they never saw pay days like this before.

The push/pull here is that Progressives often have practical points about political strategy, but their reasoning is not rooted in function, process and logistics. More to point, establishment corporate Democrats find it beneath them to have to learn the language of the young hard line left that actually helps them win elections.

What should trouble you is not that "they were wrong", what should trouble you is that they were totally ignored even when they had a point to make that would have helped the overall Party apparatus.

No one was entitled to victory in the 2016 general election. It was not preordained. Hillary Clinton did not have some kind of Asgardian feudal birthright to ascend to POTUS. Something I want to highlight is that Hillary Clinton is NOT a victim. But she and many of her supporters have gone to great lengths to present her as such to the American public. No one made her marry a man who was accused of multiple rapes. No one forced her to laugh at a rape victim in Kathy Shelton, defend the rapist legally, and then get caught on tape doing it.  No one forced her to actions/inaction/statements/positions on Benghazi. No one made her call so many every day working class people as "deplorables"  No one made her conspire with Debbie Wasserman Schultz to steal the 2016 primaries from Bernie Sanders and have WikiLeaks break that wide open. No one made her ignore the constant pleas not to have a private email server. No one made her nor Bill Clinton turn their White House run into a relentless grifting enterprise for personal wealth. No one forced her to abandon practical campaign strategy in several states.

The 2016 election loss of Hillary Clinton is proof of life that "woke" is not a practical tenable ideology on which to base a functioning society. If we live in a world where power is distributed and weaponized based on victim-hood, this only encourages every last single American to wage all out war amongst each other over even the tiniest of their irreconcilable hurt 

Card carrying liberal here - I go to the meetings.  Never once have I ever heard that Hillary was “entitled” to the POTUS.  Why are you inventing a straw man?  

Hillary conceded to Trump personally in the middle of the night on election night (technically AM), then formally conceded before noon the next day. She attended his inauguration and participated in one of the most important features of American democracy, the transfer of power.  

Donald Trump has yet to personally concede to Joe Biden. He begrudgingly conceded formally on January 7th after leading an insurrection on January 6th, under intense pressure from his own advisors that failing to do so would possibly have him removed from office.  He’s spent the last year and a half telling America the election was stolen, despite no evidence of substantial voter fraud.  Yet you spend your time defending Trump, supporting him through deflection and attacking his critics. 

At a time when we’re examining evidence of one of the most despicable acts of any President in history, your beef is that Hillary didn’t concede quick enough on election night in 2016?

Is this real?  

Through the J6 committee we’re learning the inner workings of Trump’s attempts to pull of a coup.  Naturally, that leads us to the important question at the heart of GG’s post:  Why didn’t Hillary concede an hour earlier on election night in 2016?!?!?!???

Yet you spend your time defending Trump, supporting him through deflection and attacking his critics.

Is this real?  

OP-ED: Why The GOP Should Not Support Trump For POTUS 2024 (9/30/21 00:50 PST)

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/800635-op-ed-why-the-gop-should-not-support-trump-for-potus-2024-93021-0050-pst/

"But Trump!" has a limited utility. The general leftist media/ activist complicit MSM/liberal pundit response to Election Night in 2016 actually illuminates a lot of inherent problems with Team Blue and their general political strategy and even begins to operate as predictive to massive voter engagement failures in the current time.  This topic is far more complex than your accusations can try to cover.  But you are more than welcome to try to address the other issues presented in the OP.

People in the past have asked why I timestamp my own top level thread topics, now they know.

Users who are viewing this thread