What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rick Perry's ad focuses on gays and Christianity (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
Perhaps this will help him in Iowa but it smacks of desperation.

December 7, 2011, 1:47 pm

Perry Ad Focuses on Gays and Christianity

By RICHARD A. OPPEL JR.

In an appeal to hard-right conservatives, Gov. Rick Perry of Texas is broadcasting a new campaign ad that seems to contrast Christianity with homosexuality, vows to end what he calls “Obama’s war on religion,” and highlights Mr. Perry’s criticism of overturning the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy for gays serving in the military.

“I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m a Christian,” Mr. Perry says in the ad, “but you don’t need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there’s something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can’t openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school.”

The new ad follows Mr. Perry’s statement on Tuesday criticizing the Obama administration’s announcement that the United States would use all the elements of diplomacy, including the possible granting of foreign aid, to promote gay rights around the world and beat back efforts in other nations to criminalize homosexual conduct.

“As President, I’ll end Obama’s war on religion,” Mr. Perry also says in the ad. “And I’ll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage. Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again.”

The Perry ad was denounced by the Log Cabin Republicans, a G.O.P. gay and lesbian group, which said it was “wrong for Governor Perry to assume being a person of faith does not afford one to support equality.”

R. Clarke Cooper, the group’s executive director, said: “Governor Perry is running to be commander-in-chief, not theocrat-in-chief.”

He added: “Our nation was built upon individual liberty and individual responsibility, and open service by gay and lesbian servicemembers is directly in line with the vision of our Founding Fathers.”
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/07/perry-ad-focuses-on-gays-and-christianity/

NCCommish

Footballguy
Complaints by the Log Cabiners really move me very little. They are part of a party that regularly trots them out to scare people into voting for it. Keep voting GOP Log Cabin Republicans it's really worked out well for you so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

squistion

Footballguy
Complaints by the Log Cabiners really move me very little. They are part of a party that regularly trots them out to scare people into voting for it. Keep voting GOP Log Cabin Republicans it's really worked out well for you so far.
I always think of the line that a Log Cabin Republican is like a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders.

timschochet

Footballguy
I'm hearing this quite often these days. A few months back I was at a party where a gay lawyer, who is a liberal, asserted to me that any gay person who is a conservative must hate himself.But what if you are gay, but believe that the conservative approach to economic issues is preferable? Are you supposed to vote Democrat anyhow? That makes no sense to me.

badmojo1006

Footballguy
I'm hearing this quite often these days. A few months back I was at a party where a gay lawyer, who is a liberal, asserted to me that any gay person who is a conservative must hate himself.But what if you are gay, but believe that the conservative approach to economic issues is preferable? Are you supposed to vote Democrat anyhow? That makes no sense to me.
Until Fiscal conservatives take back control of the GOP, yeah they are hating themselves

NCCommish

Footballguy
Vote for whom you want but don't act surprised when the GOP uses you as red meat. Because they will. Then after they compared you to a child molestor, say what you do is equivalent to screwing animals, say you and your kind are the downfall of the nation you go rush right out and pull the lever for them. Sell yourself out for a few bucks in tax savings.

Major

Footballguy
Vote for whom you want but don't act surprised when the GOP uses you as red meat. Because they will. Then after they compared you to a child molestor, say what you do is equivalent to screwing animals, say you and your kind are the downfall of the nation you go rush right out and pull the lever for them. Sell yourself out for a few bucks in tax savings.
Before I moved to Texas, I never met a gay Republican. When I met one in Houston, I thought it was like seeing a unicorn however I'm told they're quite plentiful down South.

TobiasFunke

Footballguy
Before I moved to Texas, I never met a gay Republican. When I met one in Houston, I thought it was like seeing a unicorn however I'm told they're quite plentiful down South.
My favorite southern saying on this subject ... it's like a chicken voting for the Colonel.

beavers

Footballguy
Rick Perry is no different than the Westboro nuts. But his way of discriminating is in a much more kinder, and gentle fashion which is acceptable here.

timschochet

Footballguy
Rick Perry is no different than the Westboro nuts. But his way of discriminating is in a much more kinder, and gentle fashion which is acceptable here.
In some ways, he's much worse than Westboro. They are fanatical extremists whose behavior probably actually helps the gay movement. Perry on the other hand, and people like him make gay bashing acceptable.

squistion

Footballguy
Guy Benson, at the conservative site, Townhall, questions whether the ad will really help Perry in Iowa:

Speaking of conspicuous political ads, Katie posted Rick Perry's latest offering, which will blanket Iowa's airwaves -- and I do mean blanket -- over the next four weeks:

Conventional wisdom: He's making an overt play for social conservatives, who dominate the caucuses. Sure, that's what he's trying to do, but I'll repeat my previous question -- will it actually help? The Christmas stuff will probably strike a chord, so no quarrel there. But according to a newly-released CBS/NYT poll (I know, I know), only nine percent of Iowa Republicans see social issues as their top concern this cycle. That's an astonishingly low number. The same poll probes respondents' views about same-sex unions. Again, among Iowa Republicans, 58 percent say they support either gay marriage or civil unions, while 38 percent oppose any legal recognition. That doesn't tackle the question of 'don't ask, don't tell' directly, but one can extrapolate. On the other major social issue, roughly eighty percent of those polled support stricter limits or an outright ban on abortion. In other words, if you're going to really pump a cultural issue with Iowa conservatives this cycle, gay rights might not be the best selection.
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2011/12/07/new_romney_ad_say_have_i_mentioned_that_ive_been_happily_married_for_42_years#comments

General Malaise

Poop Lord
Why do people say Perry is gay?
I have no idea, :shrug: perhaps they are confusing him with Marcus Bachmann.
Seems like many outspoken anti-gay men turn out to be gay themselves. Larry Craig? Ted Haggard? Rick Perry?There are gay rumors floating around about him too. Also, if you type in 'is rick perry' into Google, 'gay' is the first thing that pops up.I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn he's a closeted homosexual. And that's fine, but don't be so outspoken against your own kind. That sucks.

jamny

Footballguy
Seems like many outspoken anti-gay men turn out to be gay themselves. Larry Craig? Ted Haggard? Rick Perry?There are gay rumors floating around about him too. Also, if you type in 'is rick perry' into Google, 'gay' is the first thing that pops up.I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn he's a closeted homosexual. And that's fine, but don't be so outspoken against your own kind. That sucks.
Sure, he could fall into that group that are closeted yet outspoken but I'm just wondering where the rumors come from. Is it just because of mannerisms or have there been actual accusations like the guy who claimed to have sex with Obama.

Dear Rick Perry,

Why can't all the children in the state that you govern celebrate Halloween? And if "children from different religious and ethnic backgrounds fill the nation's schools" means no Halloween in at least one district in your state, what exactly is your argument for Christmas? I assume that there is a statement from you explaining your disagreement with the action of the people of Coppell.

Dr. Awesome

Footballguy
Sure, he could fall into that group that are closeted yet outspoken but I'm just wondering where the rumors come from. Is it just because of mannerisms or have there been actual accusations like the guy who claimed to have sex with Obama.
I have no idea where these rumors came from but apparently they've been floating around for a long while. When he first made a splash as a Presidential candidate this got a bit of talk from folks who live in Texas. They claim it's a widely known rumor and has been for years. It didn't get discussed a ton because most people on this board don't really care if someone is gay or not. Iirc Abraham and a few others briefly mentioned it.ETA - probably just rumors. He's said enough crazy things that there's no need for this to get any air time.

Last edited by a moderator:

scoobygang

Footballguy
Seems like many outspoken anti-gay men turn out to be gay themselves. Larry Craig? Ted Haggard? Rick Perry?
And many turn out to be straight. Perry hasn't really made a career out of targeting gays. This seems to be a desperate attempt to make an appeal to Iowa Caucus goers, but I think he's completely misreading even a Republican Caucus audience.

General Malaise

Poop Lord
I think it's nothing more than rumors. But man, is he really carrying on like a person with something to hide. " :hot: NOT ONLY AM I NOT GAY, BUT I WILL PROVE IT BY WAGING A WAR ON GAY :hot: !" :lmao: Come on, Rick...gay people are not our biggest problem and everybody seems to know it but Rick. I think he doth protest too much.

General Malaise

Poop Lord
Seems like many outspoken anti-gay men turn out to be gay themselves. Larry Craig? Ted Haggard? Rick Perry?
And many turn out to be straight. Perry hasn't really made a career out of targeting gays. This seems to be a desperate attempt to make an appeal to Iowa Caucus goers, but I think he's completely misreading even a Republican Caucus audience.
Give it time...

Apple Jack

Footballguy
That guy sounds naive and self-centered. There's more to life than the conversation over who you sleep with.

jamny

Footballguy
Seems like many outspoken anti-gay men turn out to be gay themselves. Larry Craig? Ted Haggard? Rick Perry?There are gay rumors floating around about him too. Also, if you type in 'is rick perry' into Google, 'gay' is the first thing that pops up.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn he's a closeted homosexual. And that's fine, but don't be so outspoken against your own kind. That sucks.
I have no idea where these rumors came from but apparently they've been floating around for a long while. When he first made a splash as a Presidential candidate this got a bit of talk from folks who live in Texas. They claim it's a widely known rumor and has been for years. It didn't get discussed a ton because most people on this board don't really care if someone is gay or not. Iirc Abraham and a few others briefly mentioned it.ETA - probably just rumors. He's said enough crazy things that there's no need for this to get any air time.
:goodposting:

Donsmith753

Footballguy
I think it's nothing more than rumors. But man, is he really carrying on like a person with something to hide. " :hot: NOT ONLY AM I NOT GAY, BUT I WILL PROVE IT BY WAGING A WAR ON GAY :hot: !" :lmao: Come on, Rick...gay people are not our biggest problem and everybody seems to know it but Rick. I think he doth protest too much.
Not your biggest problem? So you're saying theyre a problem...

Users who are viewing this thread