What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ricky to the Broncos? (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
Wouldn't it be great if they brought in Ricky Williams and TO in the same offseason. Plummer would not survive the preseason.

The Denver Broncos have had at least two internal discussions about acquiring Dolphins running back Ricky Williams, but the teams have not talked about a deal. The Denver Post, citing two NFL sources, reported this week that coach Mike Shanahan might consider trading for Williams but likely only if the team does not trade for receiver Terrell Owens. The Broncos have a desire to add playmakers at receiver and running back and this week hosted a meeting that included Owens, his South Florida agent, Drew Rosenhaus and Shanahan.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ll/13770984.htm

If they bring in TO, Ricky and than add in Ryan Leaf you would have fantastic reality series that would have a little something for everyone.

Has Denver become the toilet of the NFL that everyone wants to keeping dropping turds in it?

Has Denver become the toilet of the NFL that everyone wants to keeping dropping turds in it?
Short answer: :yes: Longer answer: the mascot is a donkey (jackass) for a reason

Are you serious? What's wrong with Ricky Williams? TO, sure, but not Williams.And I think Denver is a franchise that players know they can't pull the things they might do at some of the other franchises. That's a good thing.

Are you serious? What's wrong with Ricky Williams? TO, sure, but not Williams.
You do understand that the only reason RW was playing football last season & not smoking his daily hooka full of whatever he smokes in the uplands of Nepal is that he would have had to return a very large portion of $8M, right?

If they bring in TO, Ricky and than add in Ryan Leaf you would have fantastic reality series that would have a little something for everyone.
:lmao: maybe add Romo on steroids to that?

Are you serious?  What's wrong with Ricky Williams?  TO, sure, but not Williams.
You do understand that the only reason RW was playing football last season & not smoking his daily hooka full of whatever he smokes in the uplands of Nepal is that he would have had to return a very large portion of $8M, right?
Yep. So what? He made a mistake. It's over now. Look, Williams is a smart guy...weird, but smart. No way he disappears again. He's back, and he's proved he's still damn good. I would LOVE to have that guy. He's not close to the cancer TO is. He'll shut up and play.

And I could care less about a professional athlete smoking pot. You wouldn't be able to field a team if that was a priority.

Yep. So what? He made a mistake. It's over now. Look, Williams is a smart guy...weird, but smart. No way he disappears again. He's back, and he's proved he's still damn good. I would LOVE to have that guy. He's not close to the cancer TO is. He'll shut up and play.And I could care less about a professional athlete smoking pot. You wouldn't be able to field a team if that was a priority.
It's not that he smokes pot. It's that he's a solid candidate for a suspension related to drug use, as well as being a total flake who left MIA in complete disarray when he suddenly went AWOL on them after the draft to try to find the meaning of the universe or whatever he was looking for.Between the drug suspension possibility and the instability in his personality, why take a risk with him? Is Shanahan that bad with personnel decisions that he has to risk striking out while he is swinging for the fences to hit a homerun with a team that went to the AFC Championship? Let the teams that are further away take the huge risks. Fill in the holes with solid players who are solid citizens for a vet team that needs only a couple of parts to move up the food chain.

Are you serious?  What's wrong with Ricky Williams?  TO, sure, but not Williams.
Yep. So what? He made a mistake. It's over now. Look, Williams is a smart guy...weird, but smart. No way he disappears again. He's back, and he's proved he's still damn good. I would LOVE to have that guy. He's not close to the cancer TO is. He'll shut up and play.

And I could care less about a professional athlete smoking pot. You wouldn't be able to field a team if that was a priority.
Very :goodposting: In a league filled with "alleged" murderers, wife beaters, steroid users, and cocaine users everybody LOVES to pick on Ricky.

NEWSFLASH: I betcha more than 50% of the league smokes pot.

The same people that are putting Ricky down now are the same poeple that were saying before the season that he'd never come close to the player he was before he left.

He lost too much weight . . .. . His heads not in it . . . . He smokes pot . . . . blah blah blah.

Is Shanahan that bad with personnel decisions that he has to risk striking out while he is swinging for the fences to hit a homerun with a team that went to the AFC Championship?
And taking Maurice Clarett in the 3rd round was a good decision?

Yep.  So what?  He made a mistake.  It's over now. 

Look, Williams is a smart guy...weird, but smart.  No way he disappears again.  He's back, and he's proved he's still damn good.  I would LOVE to have that guy.  He's not close to the cancer TO is.  He'll shut up and play.

And I could care less about a professional athlete smoking pot.  You wouldn't be able to field a team if that was a priority.
It's not that he smokes pot. It's that he's a solid candidate for a suspension related to drug use, as well as being a total flake who left MIA in complete disarray when he suddenly went AWOL on them after the draft to try to find the meaning of the universe or whatever he was looking for.Between the drug suspension possibility and the instability in his personality, why take a risk with him? Is Shanahan that bad with personnel decisions that he has to risk striking out while he is swinging for the fences to hit a homerun with a team that went to the AFC Championship? Let the teams that are further away take the huge risks. Fill in the holes with solid players who are solid citizens for a vet team that needs only a couple of parts to move up the food chain.
Basically, your argument is predicated on not letting his past transgressions go. I believe that's weak...especially after he has proved himself, which was not easy. People make mistakes. I actually think he is a good guy.The guy is back. What, you think he's going to get up and leave again? NO WAY.

The risk/reward here is tremendous. I don't see a lot of risk anymore.

Basically, your argument is predicated on not letting his past transgressions go. I believe that's weak...especially after he has proved himself, which was not easy. People make mistakes. I actually think he is a good guy.

The guy is back. What, you think he's going to get up and leave again? NO WAY.

And I say the only reason he proved himself was that he had an $8M gun to his head.Anyone who think Williams isn't a substantial risk has clearly not been paying attention the past 3+ years.

Look, Williams is a smart guy...weird, but smart.  No way he disappears again.  He's back, and he's proved he's still damn good.  I would LOVE to have that guy.  He's not close to the cancer TO is.  He'll shut up and play.

And I could care less about a professional athlete smoking pot.  You wouldn't be able to field a team if that was a priority.
Pony Boy, I repect what you are saying because it is accurate. I will disagree however in this case and here's why.When Ricky left Miami, he left with the cupboard empty. There were no players of starting calaber available for the Fins to play. He really screwed them bad, but so did the coaching staff that left the B/U position so empty.

In Denver there would be: Bell and Anderson(assuming he stays) and even if it were only Bell. He has shown a real ability to be effective.

So to conclude my thought on the Denver RB. It is a matter of a small risk(suspension, loss of a pick to get him) for a potential great reward w/ Ricky running this offense.

On a side note: I don't think TO works as well in Denver. Jake is below average and Shanahan knows it. Why sign a Corvette WR in Owens who would have a VW Bug in Plummer tossing the ball.

Pony Boy, I repect what you are saying because it is accurate. I will disagree however in this case and here's why.When Ricky left Miami, he left with the cupboard empty. There were no players of starting calaber available for the Fins to play. He really screwed them bad, but so did the coaching staff that left the B/U position so empty.

In Denver there would be: Bell and Anderson(assuming he stays) and even if it were only Bell. He has shown a real ability to be effective.

So to conclude my thought on the Denver RB. It is a matter of a small risk(suspension, loss of a pick to get him) for a potential great reward w/ Ricky running this offense.

On a side note: I don't think TO works as well in Denver. Jake is below average and Shanahan knows it. Why sign a Corvette WR in Owens who would have a VW Bug in Plummer tossing the ball.
Let's also not forget in the 2 years before Ricky left Dumbstadt ran him into the ground. In those 2 years Ricky had the most carries of any RB in the history of the NFL.

Basically, your argument is predicated on not letting his past transgressions go. I believe that's weak...especially after he has proved himself, which was not easy. People make mistakes. I actually think he is a good guy.

The guy is back. What, you think he's going to get up and leave again? NO WAY.

And I say the only reason he proved himself was that he had an $8M gun to his head.Anyone who think Williams isn't a substantial risk has clearly not been paying attention the past 3+ years.
It should be clearly obvious to anyone who has been paying attention to what Ricky has said and done that he doesn't really love the game of football and is just in it for the paycheck. Maybe he'll be good for another year or two, but once he finds out that he's ok financially I don't see him sticking around.

So everyone in the NFL plays for the love of the game as opposed to the paychecks?
I don't know about you guys, but I hate my job and only do it for the paycheck! I am sure the majority of those playing simply do it for the money and nothing else.

So everyone in the NFL plays for the love of the game as opposed to the paychecks?
I don't know about you guys, but I hate my job and only do it for the paycheck! I am sure the majority of those playing simply do it for the money and nothing else.
A majority? I don't think so. Name the players on your favorite team who you think don't like football and would quit if it wasn't for the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
A majority? I don't think so. Name the players on your favorite team who you think don't like football and would quit if it wasn't for the money.
They would play flag football on the weekends and get a different job. The bottom line is these guys play a game and make millions. You take the millions away and it is just a game.

Basically, your argument is predicated on not letting his past transgressions go. I believe that's weak...especially after he has proved himself, which was not easy. People make mistakes. I actually think he is a good guy.The guy is back. What, you think he's going to get up and leave again? NO WAY.

Why not? If Miami traded him, he'd presumably be off the hook for the $8 million. He'll give Denver one year...

And if you had 8 million in the bank, you'd continue going to that job you hate?

Forgive me if this is addressed elsewhere, but you dont see being a toke away from a year suspension a substantial risk?

Forgive me if this is addressed elsewhere, but you dont see being a toke away from a year suspension a substantial risk?
Obviously not. I don't think he's that dumb.People learn, it happens.

And if you had 8 million in the bank, you'd continue going to that job you hate?
Would he hate the job in Denver? Who wouldn't have hated it in Miami under Wanny with no line and no decent QB? The guy might have been smart to leave...he just should have done it at a better time. Had he stayed, he maybe would not be able to walk comfortably after turning 30...

Would he hate the job in Denver? Who wouldn't have hated it in Miami under Wanny with no line and no decent QB? The guy might have been smart to leave...he just should have done it at a better time. Had he stayed, he maybe would not be able to walk comfortably after turning 30...
He wasn't happy in New Orleans, he wasn't happy in Miami. Hey, it's great that he got up and said he is a changed man. But you simply can't ignore this guy's past. Sure, it's possible that Denver is the place that is just all changes for him. But you can't be naive enough to believe that it's not also possible he flakes out and disappears in a year either.And I seriously just can't see any GM being naive enough to believe that either.

He wasn't happy in New Orleans, he wasn't happy in Miami. Hey, it's great that he got up and said he is a changed man. But you simply can't ignore this guy's past. Sure, it's possible that Denver is the place that is just all changes for him. But you can't be naive enough to believe that it's not also possible he flakes out and disappears in a year either.And I seriously just can't see any GM being naive enough to believe that either.
Considering he's a boatload better than any runner they'll find in the 4th round (whichis my guess on what it will take to get him), even a year or two of production will be worth it considering how they made it to the AFC title game already.

The funniest thing about this article is it comes from a Miami writer. How does he have a pulse on the Denver situation where he admits no talks between the clubs. Is Shanny going to talk to a guy from Miami before he talks to his own newspaper guys. This might happen but I think just a rumor

I don't know if anyone else watched Mort's report on Sportscenter last night but he said he doesn't see Ricky going to Denver. He said Saban loves Ricky Williams & that with the instability at the QB position keeping 2 good RBs may be what he does. Mort also said don't be suprised if Ricky is the #1 RB in Miami next year over Ronnie Brown.

Are you serious? What's wrong with Ricky Williams? TO, sure, but not Williams.And I think Denver is a franchise that players know they can't pull the things they might do at some of the other franchises. That's a good thing.
Williams is playing for one reason, and it's because he lost his civil suit. His heart is not in it, and the Donkeys are better off w/ Anderson. There's a reason Ricky has never won anything, and it's not because he has always been on bad teams, it's because he lacks heart. Don't get me wrong though. I hate the Broncos, so I'd love to see them take him, and TO for that matter.

NO, he wouldn't have the money if he wasn't playing. It's the only reason he is. Some players are motivated by the money alone. Guys like Ryan Leaf, Anthony Thomas, and Pete Warrick come to mind. They have the raw tools to get the money, but are unwilling to put in what it takes to capitalize on that talent. This is obviously an incomplete list.

Guys like Tom Brady, Hines Ward, Troy Brown, Rod Smith, and many others are guys that are less gifted, but work harder to become better. Sure, they're rich, but it's because of hard work and perseverence, not raw talent.

Williams is playing for one reason, and it's because he lost his civil suit. His heart is not in it, and the Donkeys are better off w/ Anderson. There's a reason Ricky has never won anything, and it's not because he has always been on bad teams, it's because he lacks heart. Don't get me wrong though. I hate the Broncos, so I'd love to see them take him, and TO for that matter.
So you actually believe that Ricky has never won anything because he lacks heart?WOW. Could be the most assinine comment I have ever read on this message board.

Do me a favor and watch the first half of this video then get back to me and tell me that Ricky does not play with any heart . . .

http://media.putfile.com/RickyRonnieFinalCut2

So you actually believe that Ricky has never won anything because he lacks heart?WOW. Could be the most assinine comment I have ever read on this message board.

Do me a favor and watch the first half of this video then get back to me and tell me that Ricky does not play with any heart . . .

Ricky has the physical tools to be a great football player, and has had a couple of very good seasons. But, he's a quitter. Again, he is playing football for one reason, and one reason alone. HE LOST HIS SUIT AND WOULD HAVE TO PAY THE 'FINS ~$6,000,000 that he didn't have. What he did to his team, just before camp, cannot be overlooked. Let's also not pretend that he's a 24 year old Ricky either. Yes, I think he lost his heart, when he was in NO. The one good year in Miami was a fluke. The other 5 years since he lost it are the norm, not the one 1800 yard season.

The one good year in Miami was a fluke. The other 5 years since he lost it are the norm, not the one 1800 yard season.
Ricky was suspended for four games and splitting time in 2005; if he'd gotten his normal workload, you could project him for 1700 total yards and 12 TDs. That's a big "if," but his performance with the opportunities he got in 2005 was on par with stud RBs.

The one good year in Miami was a fluke. The other 5 years since he lost it are the norm, not the one 1800 yard season.
Ricky was suspended for four games and splitting time in 2005; if he'd gotten his normal workload, you could project him for 1700 total yards and 12 TDs. That's a big "if," but his performance with the opportunities he got in 2005 was on par with stud RBs.
So was Tatum Bells, so was Chris Perry, so are many backs. But, projecting to do it, and doing it are two different things. The RW I saw this year bore no comparison to the RW of 4 years ago, and it wasn't that close. You sign a guy like Ricky at your own peril, just like TO. Great talents, but just as likely to tear your team apart as build them up, because they play for themselves, not the team.

The one good year in Miami was a fluke.  The other 5 years since he lost it are the norm, not the one 1800 yard season.
So was Tatum Bells, so was Chris Perry, so are many backs. But, projecting to do it, and doing it are two different things. The RW I saw this year bore no comparison to the RW of 4 years ago, and it wasn't that close. You sign a guy like Ricky at your own peril, just like TO. Great talents, but just as likely to tear your team apart as build them up, because they play for themselves, not the team.
Please stop posting; you clearly don't know wtf you are talking about. All reports out of Miami this year said Ricky was a great teammate and mentor to Ronnie Brown. Then Ronnie gets hurt and Ricky rips off 300 yards in 2 games.Ricky in Denver would be a scary scary thought. 2000 yards barring injury.

The one good year in Miami was a fluke.  The other 5 years since he lost it are the norm, not the one 1800 yard season.
Please stop posting; you clearly don't know wtf you are talking about. All reports out of Miami this year said Ricky was a great teammate and mentor to Ronnie Brown. Then Ronnie gets hurt and Ricky rips off 300 yards in 2 games.Ricky in Denver would be a scary scary thought. 2000 yards barring injury.
:goodposting: Never understood all the Ricky hate. It's like he personally insulted some people's mothers around here.

For anyone that watched Ricky towards the end of this past season you saw the Ricky of old. Put him on Denver as the starting RB and he is without a doubt a TOP 5 RB in the league if not TOP 3.

Sure he could be the biggest fruit loop in the league and he quit on his team at the worst possible time but it does not take away from the fact the he is a very talented RB.

I'm a huge Dolphin fan. What he did when he did it sucked. But it also lead to Dumbstadt getting fired which in turn lead to the hiring of Nick Saban who has given this franchise much hope.

Ricky has the physical tools to be a great football player, and has had a couple of very good seasons. But, he's a quitter. Again, he is playing football for one reason, and one reason alone. HE LOST HIS SUIT AND WOULD HAVE TO PAY THE 'FINS ~$6,000,000 that he didn't have. What he did to his team, just before camp, cannot be overlooked. Let's also not pretend that he's a 24 year old Ricky either. Yes, I think he lost his heart, when he was in NO. The one good year in Miami was a fluke. The other 5 years since he lost it are the norm, not the one 1800 yard season.
Everyone seems to forget that even if Ricky didn't quit last year he still would have been suspended for the year. If he would have been able to control his drug habit, there is no way he would have quit.You can call Ricky a druggie, you can call him a quitter, but I don't think you can question his heart on the football field:

1) His rookie contract basically paid him for incentives because he felt he should get paid for only what he contributes

2) In the Wannstat years in Miami he was used as a battering ram on every play with no protection and still carried those teams

3) he made the league minimum this year and could have easily "mailed in" an effort every game but he didn't.

Sure he may have come back because he owed the Dolphin's $8M but the fact is, that there is nobody, including the Dolphins, who ever expected Ricky to pay a penny of it.

Bottom-line is that Ricky is a great player. If he keeps the drugs in check, he's a HUGE asset to whichever team has him in 2006.

No, because Mike Anderson is in the same situation....

Yep. So what? He made a mistake. It's over now.

Look, Williams is a smart guy...weird, but smart. No way he disappears again. He's back, and he's proved he's still damn good. I would LOVE to have that guy. He's not close to the cancer TO is. He'll shut up and play.

Obviously not. I don't think he's that dumb.People learn, it happens.
They do? :popcorn:

As drug fiends so often do, it appears he's let you down again man.....The thing IMHO this does is lock up a QB to Miami in the draft. Saban has no other tradeable chips to grab a high pick with. So if he is going to get his QB he will have to use the only #1 he'll have now to get one. Ouch.

And draft Ronnie Brown!

No, because Mike Anderson is in the same situation....
Forgive me if this is addressed elsewhere, but you dont see being a toke away from a year suspension a substantial risk? :banned:

Very rarely do you see someone get :own3d: like this. Your rants gave me a nice laugh this morning. Thank you.

Very rarely do you see someone get :own3d: like this. Your rants gave me a nice laugh this morning. Thank you.
And if Ricky appeals and wins we'll be sure to the the same to your post.

Users who are viewing this thread