What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ricky Williams to Denver? (1 Viewer)

Quez

Footballguy
For a possible 1st rounder. He could be a top 5 back next year if he is dealt to Denver, and didn't they just reduce sentencing for marijuana somewhere in Colorado?I hope this isn't a honda, didn't see anything recent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Denver has an extra 1st rounder and they're both going to be lower picks ... but why would they do this when they already had a fantasy top-10 back and another near 1000-yard back with the #2 rushing offense in the league?

Wow.

Ricky Williams running behind that Oline would be sick.
I have to agree - but it is not a smart move for Denver tyo trade away their #1 for him.As a phin fan, I would LOVE to get a second first round pick for Ricky, even if it is in or near the 30s.

I know Denver has an extra 1st rounder and they're both going to be lower picks ... but why would they do this when they already had a fantasy top-10 back and another near 1000-yard back with the #2 rushing offense in the league?
Why do they draft one every year when they don't really need to? Shanahan has a RB shopping addiction. :D

I don't think his salary has him making much next season, so that would be part of the perk for Denver in the trade.

One possible reason is that Anderson is going to be 33 in September, and Shanny may not ever trust Bell to be a 20-25 carry guy. Plus, Ricky would be pretty cheap from a cap standpoint.

For a possible 1st rounder. He could be a top 5 back next year if he is dealt to Denver, and didn't they just reduce sentencing for marijuana somewhere in Colorado?

I hope this isn't a honda, didn't see anything recent.
I think it is legal to possess in small amounts now or something.

I don't think his salary has him making much next season, so that would be part of the perk for Denver in the trade.
League minimum, IIRC.Miami stil has to work out the 8 Million Ricky owes them as well. Not as easy a player to trade for as it seerms at first blush.

Ricky's best spot, and Miami's best spot for Ricky, may ultimately still be with Ricky on the phins.

For a possible 1st rounder.  He could be a top 5 back next year if he is dealt to Denver, and didn't they just reduce sentencing for marijuana somewhere in Colorado?

I think it is legal to possess in small amounts now or something.
Legal to possess under an ounce in Denver.

I don't see it happening.Shanny prides himself on creating backs within the system and finding gems in the later rounds.I bet Ricky stays in Miami.

I think this trade would make Saban look like an idiot, and put a ton of pressure on Ronnie Brown. It would be a given that Ricky would become an elite rusher in Denver, and Saban would look like a fool if Ronnie had an off season.

One possible reason is that Anderson is going to be 33 in September, and Shanny may not ever trust Bell to be a 20-25 carry guy. Plus, Ricky would be pretty cheap from a cap standpoint.
Both good points. I guess then it all comes down to whether or not a better RB is at Washington's draft spot. I didn't realize they could get Ricky so cheaply.

and didn't they just reduce sentencing for marijuana somewhere in Colorado?
Legal sentencing for marijuana is and has always been a non-issue because it is typically a petty misdeamenor unless you are carrying a lot of it. The only thing that should matter is that he's one strike from a year suspension.

I think this trade would make Saban look like an idiot, and put a ton of pressure on Ronnie Brown. It would be a given that Ricky would become an elite rusher in Denver, and Saban would look like a fool if Ronnie had an off season.
Wow, I disagree 100%. What would make Saban look like an idiot is to use a #2 draft pick on Ronnie Brown and have him languish as a 15 carry RB.

Legal sentencing for marijuana is and has always been a non-issue because it is typically a petty misdeamenor unless you are carrying a lot of it. The only thing that should matter is that he's one strike from a year suspension.
:thumbup: Generally - in the blue states anyway - in places like Nevada, which is a zero tolerance state, any amount of marijuana can get you up to a year in jail - and they enforce it.

If teams wouldn't give up a 2nd or 3rd for uberstuds like Edge and Alexander, what makes anyone think Pothead Williams can get a 1st? :bs:

Just traded him away in two dynasty leagues earlier this week. I think I just frew up in my mouf.

I think the Broncos should look to upgrade at WR, first and foremost. Rod Smith is still excellent, but he can't play forever. And Lelie hasn't been consistent enough. A playmaking WR would make the Broncos offense almost unstoppable.

I think this trade would make Saban look like an idiot, and put a ton of pressure on Ronnie Brown.  It would be a given that Ricky would become an elite rusher in Denver, and Saban would look like a fool if Ronnie had an off season.
Wow, I disagree 100%. What would make Saban look like an idiot is to use a #2 draft pick on Ronnie Brown and have him languish as a 15 carry RB.
"languish"??? How was Ronnie "languishing" this past yrear while the team was averaging 4.3 per carry, getting 1900 rush yards, and winning 9 out of 16 games after a 4 win season in 2004 in which the run game was puitrid?Considering the end-game for RBs, allowing Ronnie Brown to come alive in year two and then take over in year three would help keep him injury free and runnin gfor the phins a lot longer (unlike the two other top-5 rookie RBs that were drafted this past year and have already suffered injuries that caused them to miss big stretches of time).

to add - it is HIGHLY likely the #1 overall pick - Reggie Buch - will touch the ball as little or less than Ronnie Brown did last year.

I think this trade would make Saban look like a genius. How much value did Ricky have a year ago?

:thumbup: Generally - in the blue states anyway - in places like Nevada, which is a zero tolerance state, any amount of marijuana can get you up to a year in jail - and they enforce it.
Wow I wouldn't have expected this out of a state that has legalized prostitution. Someone should point the authorities to the guys slapping the hooker books wearing the neon yellow "Strippers direct to you" shirts. It seems like they are always trying to push a ball of cocaine for $70 to anyone that walks by.

Wow I wouldn't have expected this out of a state that has legalized prostitution. Someone should point the authorities to the guys slapping the hooker books wearing the neon yellow "Strippers direct to you" shirts. It seems like they are always trying to push a ball of cocaine for $70 to anyone that walks by.
LOL - try buying drugs in Nevada (outside of Las Vegas) or simnply CARRYING any drugs in your car when you are busted - the case law is rife with people tossed in jail for very little amounts of drugs - including marijuana.

P.S. - prostitution is regulated by the Nevada governemnt, drugs are not.A hooker can't just run out there and hang a shingle - she has to be in a bordello to be legal.

I think this trade would make Saban look like an idiot, and put a ton of pressure on Ronnie Brown.  It would be a given that Ricky would become an elite rusher in Denver, and Saban would look like a fool if Ronnie had an off season.
"languish"??? How was Ronnie "languishing" this past yrear while the team was averaging 4.3 per carry, getting 1900 rush yards, and winning 9 out of 16 games after a 4 win season in 2004 in which the run game was puitrid?Considering the end-game for RBs, allowing Ronnie Brown to come alive in year two and then take over in year three would help keep him injury free and runnin gfor the phins a lot longer (unlike the two other top-5 rookie RBs that were drafted this past year and have already suffered injuries that caused them to miss big stretches of time).
:goodposting:

Where as a first rd pick is unlikely to be dealt for R-Dub, it could be viewed as a starting point. I have no reason to doubt Ricky would or could be traded for an eventual 3rd rd pick or so. Which to me is very believable. BUT, the very fact that this is even up for discussion is salivating, to say the least.

If teams wouldn't give up a 2nd or 3rd for uberstuds like Edge and Alexander, what makes anyone think Pothead Williams can get a 1st?

:bs:
2005 player salaries . . .James

$8,081,000

Alexander

$6,323,000

Williams

$540,000

You tell me. Is Edgerrin James really, truly 15 times better than Ricky Williams?

Williams also has 2 years left on his contract--$545,000 in 2006 and $670,000 in 2007.

Mike Anderson is due $2,565,000 for 2006.

You mean trading a guy with 1st round value before he does something crazy like retire or fail a 3rd drug test?

If teams wouldn't give up a 2nd or 3rd for uberstuds like Edge and Alexander, what makes anyone think Pothead Williams can get a 1st?

:bs:
2005 player salaries . . .James

$8,081,000

Alexander

$6,323,000

Williams

$540,000

You tell me. Is Edgerrin James really, truly 15 times better than Ricky Williams?

Williams also has 2 years left on his contract--$545,000 in 2006 and $670,000 in 2007.

Mike Anderson is due $2,565,000 for 2006.
:goodposting: At 33, Anderson will not be seeing that $2.5 million. Williams would be a great fit at a cheap price. Although this deal makes too much sense for it to actually happen.

I think the Broncos should look to upgrade at WR, first and foremost. Rod Smith is still excellent, but he can't play forever. And Lelie hasn't been consistent enough. A playmaking WR would make the Broncos offense almost unstoppable.
1st rounder for Ricky5th rounder for TO

Holy Cow, nice off season from a talent level, but can the locker room add these two personal;ities? Ricky being a little off center, and TO needing to be the center of attention.

5th rounder for TO

Holy Cow, nice off season from a talent level, but can the locker room add these two personal;ities? Ricky being a little off center, and TO needing to be the center of attention.
There is no way any team is trading for Owens. The Eagles are going to release him, so any team that is actually interested will just wait until then. And even though I would like to see the Broncos upgrade their WR corps, doing it with Owens is not something this Broncos fan wants to see.

The post I was responding to said it would make Saban look like 'an idiot' if he made this trade and "put a ton of pressure on Ronnie Brown." First, do you agree with that? Second, on my use of "languish"... I'm not clear what team rushing accomplishments have to do with a particular player "suffering under" a set of circumstances. Whether you agree the term "languish" applies to a #2 pick being a nice contributing 700-900 yard rusher, it remains asinine IMHO to suggest a coach is 'an idiot' to expect a #2 draft pick he hand picked to be a primary "pressured" ball carrier. Saban himself implied in his season wrap up that Brown's developement was weighing on his mind heading into this offseason. I will agree with you that a plan to keep Ricky 1 more year won't necessarily be bad, but that alternative was not implicit in the post I responded to, and frankly I find it unlikely the Dolphins ever trade Ricky if they pass on a #1 for Ricky right now. That's astounding value for Ricky. I'd have been shocked if they could have received a 3rd round pick given what S.Alexander/Edge were being dangled for last offseason, and your fellow Dolphin fans on this board said they'd be doing cartwheels for a 2nd. And for the record, my opinions are based on the validity of this rumor. If it's a huge lie and the Dolphins are merely being offered a 5th rounder, I too would say Saban is an idiot to trade Ricky.

Lastly, on your throw in comment re: Bush. I don't know how the Bush comment applies to my response. I didn't say a guy should get 25 carries as a rookie, nor did I suggest R.Brown should have received 25 carries as a rookie.

5th rounder for TO

Holy Cow, nice off season from a talent level, but can the locker room add these two personal;ities?  Ricky being a little off center, and TO needing to be the center of attention.
There is no way any team is trading for Owens. The Eagles are going to release him, so any team that is actually interested will just wait until then. And even though I would like to see the Broncos upgrade their WR corps, doing it with Owens is not something this Broncos fan wants to see.
I agree.There are other free agent WR's out there (Reggie Wayne???) and there will be talent available in the draft that just outweigh the baggage that Owens brings.

For a possible 1st rounder. He could be a top 5 back next year if he is dealt to Denver, and didn't they just reduce sentencing for marijuana somewhere in Colorado?

Doesn't matter what the law says in Colorado. The NFL enforces their own drug policy and Ricky's busted (meaning he will miss games) if he tests positive again.

I don't know if I will believe it until I see it, but it does make sense for both teams.The reason why no one was trading second round picks for Edge and Alexander is because of the contracts that they would need to sign them for. Tricky Ricky on the other hand is making the league minimum, I'm sure his value per rushing yard was better than just about anyone in the league. For a late first rounder you are looking at a couple million a year, and the possibility of the pick not turning out is much greater. With Ricky in the Denver offense you can pretty much guarantee between 1,000 - 1,500 yards depending on the number of carries. Shanahan has also shown that he will take chances, including drafting Clarett with a third round pick and than not blinking when dropping him because he does not really care what people say.As for the Dolphins, a team on the rise, if they could turn Ricky a player that was retired a year ago for a first round pick they can than begin stock piling talent on an aging defense, and trying to recoup all the picks that dumb Dave traded away during his tenure.As for the eight million dollars owed to the Dolphins, I think this issue will go away. I believe that the Dolphins and Ricky and an unspoken agreement that Ricky plays for the league minimum, and rehashes some value that he lost with his abrupt retirement, and the value of a first round pick offsets the large cost that Ricky brought. Saban has played this whole thing masterfully. He brought Ricky back and was able to keep it somewhat under the radar all year. Besides his first game back, no national news programs paid much attention to the story. Ricky quietly put up solid numbers, and than was able to show what he could do with a full workload at the end of the year. Rickys value will never be higher than it is right now, The Dolphins can either cash out high, or will have the best backup running back in the league, and only have to pay him the league minimum.

I really fail to see how this is relevant. he still has mandatory drug testing by the NFL and would be suspended for a year if he tests positive, regardless of what state he's in.

For a possible 1st rounder.  He could be a top 5 back next year if he is dealt to Denver, and didn't they just reduce sentencing for marijuana somewhere in Colorado?

I really fail to see how this is relevant. he still has mandatory drug testing by the NFL and would be suspended for a year if he tests positive, regardless of what state he's in.
I was joking. I really don't think marijuana laws will have anything to do with where he goes, while he is in the NFL anyways. Besides, he said he quit smoking :lmao:

You mean trading a guy with 1st round value before he does something crazy like retire or fail a 3rd drug test?
:goodposting: I menitoned earlier, as a phin fan, I would LOVE it if this happened.

If I were a Bronco fan, I'd be praying this is pure rumor and that a 1st was never offered for Ricky.

it was a joke.

This is a total non-story. No sources that the Broncos have even discussed it. Just some writer with some columnn to fill..The last line is the most telling..."There will be a market for Williams, but it could be pricey and it is unlikely he'll wind up in Denver."

The post I was responding to said it would make Saban look like 'an idiot' if he made this trade and "put a ton of pressure on Ronnie Brown." First, do you agree with that? Second, on my use of "languish"... I'm not clear what team rushing accomplishments have to do with a particular player "suffering under" a set of circumstances. Whether you agree the term "languish" applies to a #2 pick being a nice contributing 700-900 yard rusher, it remains asinine IMHO to suggest a coach is 'an idiot' to expect a #2 draft pick he hand picked to be a primary "pressured" ball carrier. Saban himself implied in his season wrap up that Brown's developement was weighing on his mind heading into this offseason. I will agree with you that a plan to keep Ricky 1 more year won't necessarily be bad, but that alternative was not implicit in the post I responded to, and frankly I find it unlikely the Dolphins ever trade Ricky if they pass on a #1 for Ricky right now. That's astounding value for Ricky. I'd have been shocked if they could have received a 3rd round pick given what S.Alexander/Edge were being dangled for last offseason, and your fellow Dolphin fans on this board said they'd be doing cartwheels for a 2nd. And for the record, my opinions are based on the validity of this rumor. If it's a huge lie and the Dolphins are merely being offered a 5th rounder, I too would say Saban is an idiot to trade Ricky.

Lastly, on your throw in comment re: Bush. I don't know how the Bush comment applies to my response. I didn't say a guy should get 25 carries as a rookie, nor did I suggest R.Brown should have received 25 carries as a rookie.
Excluding everything else above, this is your comment:
What would make Saban look like an idiot is to use a #2 draft pick on Ronnie Brown and have him languish as a 15 carry RB.
What makes you think that a 15-carry back is LANGUISHING??? Esp. when the team had as good a season running the ball as they did. How is Brown "languishing" in the Doplphins' offense - from where I am sitting, as a huge Dolphin fan, he was an integral part of the team's rushing numbers and an integral component to their 9 win season.Finally, I was reserving this in case you decided to post a response - Brown has NEVER carried the load, holding onto Ricky as a pro bowl quality backup RB until he sees if Brown can handle a 300 carry season is smart - not an "idiot" move - which makes the Bush comment very appropriate.

Finally, it is highly likely ZBush will go through the early part of his career without getting more than around 15 carries per game - he may go through his ENTIRE career in a Westbrook like role with another RB taking some carries - why can't Brown be the same type of guy for the phins? Maybe Brown is BEST off at carries 5-15 and not carries 20 and up, and it is a good idea to be like Phi8lly and to have a second RB as an integral part of your runnnig game.

The post I was responding to said it would make Saban look like 'an idiot' if he made this trade and "put a ton of pressure on Ronnie Brown." First, do you agree with that?
In fairness to your response - no, I don't agree with the initial post nor was I defending it.

This is a total non-story.

No sources that the Broncos have even discussed it. Just some writer with some columnn to fill..

The last line is the most telling...

"There will be a market for Williams, but it could be pricey and it is unlikely he'll wind up in Denver."
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread