What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP: LC Greenwood (1 Viewer)

Surprised to see only 2 posts here -- an none, apparently, from Steeler fans.

I'm a Raider fan, but even I knew and feared Greenwood. Not many people do today, it seems -- great discussion on this and LC Greenwood's impact by Bob Papa this AM on Opening Drive on Sirius. Not just about Greenwood's legacy -- more than just the gold shoes, the 4 rings, and what he meant in his part anchoring the Steel Curtain -- but about how so many more people should know about Greenwood than apparently do.

Never made it to the Hall, and likely not to, but his tangible contributions to one of the best defenses of all time, during the Golden Era of Steeler football, should definitely be appreciated.

Loved his gold shoes...RIP LC:

The REAL Story Behind Those Gold Shoes
cache_3199236704.jpg

In 1973, L.C. Greenwood was diagnosed by his team doctor with a severe ankle injury. The doctor suggested that if he wanted to play in Sunday’s game, he would have to wear high top shoes. Tony Parisi was one of the Steelers trainers and he had a friend who owned a shoe store in the Strip District. At the shoe store Tony was given a couple of pairs of black Riddell high tops. Back in the locker room, Tony asked L.C. to try them on and they fit perfectly. L.C. said, “Tony, I can’t wear these shoes, they are too ugly!” So Tony offered to paint them white. L.C. did not like that idea because Joe Namath wore white high tops, so Tony offered to paint them gold. L.C. agreed. When the gold shoes appeared in his locker L.C. hesitantly put them on and wore them on game day, and the Steelers won. On the following Sunday, L.C. wore them once more, and the Steelers won again. However, the next game, L.C.’s ankle was on the mend so he wore his regular shoes…The Steelers lost. Suddenly, fan mail started to pour in for L.C. begging him to wear the gold shoes because when he did, the Steelers won. They had become a good luck charm. Always a fan pleaser, L.C. adorned the gold shoes for many of the games.

I remember LC and that defense from quite a bit back in the day. They were bad asses, even during a time when the game was played differently, and the league filled with tough players.

RIP LC. You made your mark.

I remember LC and that defense from quite a bit back in the day. They were bad asses, even during a time when the game was played differently, and the league filled with tough players.

RIP LC. You made your mark.
Ditto

LC, Mean Joe, Fats Holmes, Dwight White - one of the all time best D lines
And LBs--Hamm, Russell, Lambert.

And defensive backfields...only Wagner, Blount and Shell come to mind now.

Wow, what a defense...this coming from a Raider fan who suffered through many a game against those guys.

I still remember the AFC championship game after the Raiders had defeated two-time champ Miami in the "Sea of Hands" game.

Got absolutely mauled by the Steelers--at home even. They had Mean Joe line up at an angle to the Raiders center (Dave Dalby?) and Oakland had no answer. Had like 20 yards rushing on 20 tries. :(

I remember the Raiders v Stillers rivalry in the 70s. That whole defense was nasty.

I managed to catch Terry talking about as the post game show was on the way out. He managed to give a very classy eulogy. He spoke of the Stillers who were no longer there. It made me think of the one sig line here, about God, give me the ball and give me my boys one last time....

PEACE

A legendary player on the greatest defense in the history of profootball. Thanks for the memories L. C. Greenwood. Rest in peace.

Wow, what a defense...this coming from a Raider fan who suffered through many a game against those guys.

I still remember the AFC championship game after the Raiders had defeated two-time champ Miami in the "Sea of Hands" game.

Got absolutely mauled by the Steelers--at home even. They had Mean Joe line up at an angle to the Raiders center (Dave Dalby?) and Oakland had no answer. Had like 20 yards rushing on 20 tries. :(
Glen Edwards was the other DB

moondog said:

Glen Edwards was the other DB
That's right. Very good player in his own right. :yes:

I met him when I was a kid. He was nice to me and my Dad. I told my Dad he passed on and he was like "WHAT?"

RIP

Users who are viewing this thread