What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rob Rang chat at USAToday (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
Q&A with draftscout guy

http://transcripts.usatoday.com/Chats/transcript.aspx?c=665

Dallas Texas: who will be available at either DE or DB when the Seahawks select in the first round?

Rob Rang: The Seahawks will likely be looking at DEs Kiwanuka and Tapp at this point. CBs could include Joseph, Jennings, Youboty, and Marshall. SS could include Allen, Bing, and Whitner. In my latest projection I had the Seahawks selecting Jennings, the CB from Miami.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chgo, IL: what position do you see the bears more likely to address, either the TE, or CB, and who that possible player would be. Thanks, Scott/chgo

Rob Rang: At this point it looks like CB or WR will be the better value in the first round. Tight end is the Bears' biggest weakness, but I don't believe there is a TE worthy of the first round except for Vernon Davis. The Bears could consider Leonard Pope, the huge TE from Georgia, but I feel it would be a stretch. At this point, I'm giving the Bears WR Santonio Holmes because his speed would open up the offense just like a TE would and I feel Holmes could fall into Chicago's lap.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lafayette la.: will saints trade#2 pick & how far down will they go

Rob Rang: I believe the Saints will look to trade down. Everything I'm hearing has them focusing on D'Brickashaw Ferguson. They'll explore trading down 1 or 2 spots, but don't want to lose him. If they don't trade down it will be because they didn't receive enough assurances that he'd be available. Leinart is ranked as the #2 player on most boards and should be - according to pure value - the second player drafted.

roanoke rapids,nc: With the needs the PATRIOTS have who do you think they will take with their first two picks?

Rob Rang: In my latest projection I had the Patriots selecting OLB Bobby Carpenter in the first round and WR Maurice Stovall in the second. The Pats' two biggest needs would be addressed. Carpenter fits the Pats' persona perfectly and will highly recommended by Vrabel. Stovall, coming from Charlie Weis' offense, could make an immediate impact and has the size at WR the Patriots lack.

Bradenton, FL: What do you think the chances are of GB drafting Vernon Davis #1 and either abdul Hodge or Max Jean-Childs as #2 ? My preferance, of course is Mario Williams as #1!

Rob Rang: Because of their needs at other positions and the value of other players on the board I'd be surprised to see Green Bay take Davis with the fifth pick. Should the team trade down slightly then he would make more sense, as he certainly would provide Favre with another reason to return. I would anticipate Green Bay focusing on Mario Williams at #5 or AJ Hawk before Davis.

Dave, AZ: Rob, should the Cards move up in the draft to take D'Brickashaw Ferguson? If we moved L. Davis back to guard (where he BELONGS IMHO) and plugged in Ferguson, Edge won't have to worry about holes...Coach Green talks about always drafting the best available talent, but this year, do you agree we should fill holes instead? Also, I don't think we should take Vince Young, we have bigger problems than QB...

Rob Rang: According to the actual NFL-used Draft Trade Chart we feature at NFLDraftScout.com, the cost of moving from the tenth pick to the second or third pick, would simply be too much for the Cardinals to strongly consider such a move. It is more likely that the team stays put and selects the other top 15 offensive lineman, Winston Justice, to fulfill the need. I would also note that the Cardinals likely aren't entering the draft looking to select a QB in the first round, but if a player with Young or Cutler's upside happens to fall into their lap, it might be difficult to pass on him.

lubbock tx: just want to know who will the cowboys pick at 18

Rob Rang: In my latest projection at NFLDraftScout.com I have the Cowboys selecting outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley from Florida State. With the addition of free agents Terrell Owens and Jason Fabini, the Cowboys likely will be looking for another pass rusher with this choice. They are clearly gearing up for a Super Bowl run this season, and Wimbley would provide an immediate impact opposite young star DeMarcus Ware.

Montgomery, Alabama: I notice that on your cite you rank Mark Anderson from Alabama as the 6th best overall defensive end. However, in your mock draft, you have him going to Philly in the 3rd round as the 9th defensive end to be selected. How do you reconcile the two seemingly inconsistent rankings?

Rob Rang: Quite frankly because I'm personally higher on Anderson than I believe most teams are. I've been a strong supporter of his all season long and his performance at both the Senior Bowl and Combine were no surprise to me. I do know of teams, however, who feel that he should be a better player than he has been throughout his career and thus, see him as a late 2nd to 3rd round pick. The difference in ranking and where players are ultimately selected is an issue that comes up often. We, for example, have Vince Young as the 11th rated overall prospect in this draft, but I think it is quite possible he'll go in the top five.

Ithaca, NY: Who are the players that have slipped under the radar, the ones nobody is talking about that could make a big impact in the NFL as non first round picks?

Rob Rang: For questions like this I look not only at individual players, but positions. The three positions that have the depth I feel will allow teams to select players in the second and third rounds and still find an immediate impact player are at RB, TE, and CB. RBs Drew and Calhoun, I'm particularly high on. TEs Klopfenstein, Lewis, and Byrd. CBs Marshall, Zemaitis, etc.

Independence, Ohio: I've heard the Bills are not sure if Ngata really fits their scheme. Is that true? If not, does that give the Browns hope he might fall to them?

Rob Rang: Perry Fewell is the new Buffalo defensive coordinator. He previously was with Chicago, who operate a highly aggressive scheme that takes advantage of quick pass rushers on the interior. Ngata has some quickness, but his strength is... well, his strength. He's a terrific run stopper in the molds of past Buffalo DTs Sam Adams and Pat Williams, but doesn't fit the new scheme as well. I like Brodrick Bunkley for Buffalo a lot more, though the team might go in a completely different direction with Vernon Davis, etc. Ultimately I do believe Ngata has a chance to be available to Cleveland and that he would be a superb choice for them as a nose guard.

STATEN ISLAND, NY: Hi Rob, as my Giants have needs at linebacker, d line and could use an upgrade on their oline where do you see them going at pick no. 25? also what positions are strong and can be addressed in later rounds? Thanks

Rob Rang: The Giants are always one of the more difficult teams to project due to their secrecy and willingness to take chances on small school players. In my latest projection I gave the Giants OLB Chad Greenway in the first, OT Jonathan Scott in the second, and WR Greg Jennings in the third. Defensive line remains a bit of a need, but the Giants have had more consistent success using mid round picks on these players than the first round in recent years.

Wall, NJ: What does Minnesota do with the 17th pick?

Rob Rang: Minnesota has a lot of different options. The expected loss of WR Burleson could cause the team to explore this position. Chad Jackson, if available, would make a lot of sense. Also, Minnesota is a trendy destination for the QBs Young and Cutler should either take a real tumble down the board, as some scouts feel will happen. The other position I could see Minnesota focusing in on is at OLB. Their Cover 2 scheme requires linebackers with speed and if Ernie Sims is still available, I think he has to be a very strong consideration.

West Palm Beach, Florida: Do you see Vernon Davis being available for the 49ers at the 6th Pick and Do you think Manny Lawson will last into the 2nd Round?

Rob Rang: I would be surprised to see Davis not available at #6. I believe the 49ers will strongly consider him, but will take another player such as Mario Williams or AJ Hawk should they have him ranked higher than Davis. I believe the 49ers will look to help Alex Smith, but won't reach for offensive help. No, I don't believe Lawson gets out of the first round.

cleveland, OH: why would Texas take RB-Bush with the first pick when rumor has it that he's not going to be an every down back? With Carr breaking his own sack record every year, wouldn't D. Ferguson make a better choice so that they can finally have a passing game? Plus, Kubiak is from Denver, they never take RB's in the first two rounds, why would that philosophy change now? In short, why waste a pick on a player who isn't going to play every down when you can pick a player that can solidify your line for the next 10 years?

Rob Rang: In a nut-shell, because Reggie Bush really is that good. You are right, of course. He isn't considered an everydown back. That said, Houston will split him out at receiver and could elect to take him out of short yardage situations to limit the hits on him. This kid has change of direction and acceleration like no one else I've ever seen except Barry Sanders. When you get a chance to take a dominant offensive weapon that your opponent must account for on every play, you do it.

fredericksburg, VA: Do you think Vince Young should get drafted by the Raiders?

Rob Rang: Honestly, no. I think the Raiders have their young quarterback to groom already on their roster in Andrew Walter. The Raiders are closer to being a winning team than some think. A quality defensive player or even TE Vernon Davis at #7 makes too sense if the Raiders are looking to make an immediate improvement in the won/loss column for 2006.

Dallas, TX: 49er question. If Ferguson, Williams and Hawk are gone at 6, do you see the 49ers trading down ?

Rob Rang: I believe the 49ers would certainly consider trading down, as the team has a lot of holes to fill. That said, the team has 11 picks already. I believe if the situation you mention presented itself, the team would likely draft TE Vernon Davis unless they were given a very good offer.

Louisville, Ohio: My question for you Mr. Rang is why didn't the steelers keep Randle el. I know that they probally didn't have enough money for him but is that truly the only answer?

Rob Rang: Economics drive this game now, unfortunately. Everything I've heard had Pittsburgh very much wanting to keep Randle El if at all possible. That said, the team seemed resigned to the fact that he would get a big payday and that they'd lose him. With a lot of talent in the 2nd and 3rd round at receiver, the Steelers will be fine.

Defiance, Ohio: how far will J. Avant fall? How about Greeenway?

Rob Rang: Each of the players you mention showed standout ability in the rough and tumble Big Ten, so they won't fall too far. Greenway has been considered a first round pick for quite some time now and even though his workouts were disappointing, I just can't see him falling too far. Seattle at #31 might be as far as he'd drop. Avant, on the other hand, was considered a second round pick before and his workout was worse. A receiver running a 4.8 is pretty bad. However, he has another Pro Day coming up where he won't be wearing a cast. Some theorize the cast on his hand significantly slowed him down. Cast or not, if Avant wants to be assured of a first day pick (top 3 rounds), he'll need to run faster.

Naperville, IL: How are the Stanford guys being graded lately? Jon Alston had a good combine, Babatunde Oshinowo improved his 3 cone shuttle time to 7.6 during Proday, Julian Jenkins improved his 40 yard time on proday. Which teams are interested in these guys?

Rob Rang: Hard to tell, at this point, which teams will draft certain players, but each of the Stanford guys you mentioned have improved their ranking. Oshinow should be the first to get drafted, in my opinion. He is the best interior run plugger than no one seems to be talking about. I feel he is a strong 2nd round pick. Alston, a LB, has such a terrific size/speed combo, that a lot of teams are now looking at him as a safety. I feel he is a 3rd round pick, but the possibility of the position change could land him in the second. Jenkins was probably the most consistent of the trio at Stanford, but isn't considered a great athlete and is a bit of a tweener. I see him as a second day guy, but a consistent enough football player to surprise if given the opportunity in the right scheme.

Modesto, California: Who should the Chargers select with the 19th pick in the draft?

Rob Rang: Who SHOULD they select? They SHOULD try to trade the pick to New Orleans, in my opinion, and get back the quarterback that could help take this very good team into the playoffs. As it stands now, the team is going into the season with Philip Rivers obviously and if he is to be successful, I think the team needs to add to his offensive line and the receivers he'll be throwing to. In my current mock I have the team going in a different direction - taking CB Jonathan Joseph, because the Chargers have 3 first round CBs on their roster, but only received 3 INTs total from them last year. That said, I believe the team's #1 goal should be in adding talent on offense to help Rivers succeed.

Napoleon, OH: Who do you think will be avilable for the Cleveland Browns at #12? They need a linebacker, but of course A.J. Hawk will be long gone. Any thoughts?

Rob Rang: I like where the Browns are because I feel that they are in the perfect position to capitalize on a paper thought to be a top ten guy slipping or could trade either up or down in this draft. As it stands now, their two biggest needs in my opinion could be filled with the 12th pick as NG Ngata and OLBs Wimbley or Lawson make some sense here. However, Ngata could easily be gone and the Browns might feel that the OLBs are a reach, so a trade down into the late teens could be an option.

Tallahassee, FL: Why is Chad Jackson's stock soaring? Sure, he's fast, but he wasn't exactly a superstar in college.

Rob Rang: Jackson was pretty effective in college. His sophomore season he broke the Florida record for yards per reception (22.3) and his junior season he tied the school record for most receptions with 88. Urban Meyer's offense had Jackson catching a lot of short and underneath passes, but his speed and explosiveness was readily apparent in workouts. Also, you mentioned his speed, but it is also his size. 4.32 speed at 6-0, 213 pounds is exceedingly rare.

Bowling Green, OH: Where do you see Omar Jacobs, out of Bowling Green, being drafted? Do you think he should have stayed in college another season?

Rob Rang: I struggle to say Jacobs should have stayed for another season because I don't know of his personal situation (financially, children, academically, etc.). However, I do believe his stock could have raised significantly with another season, as he is a talented prospect well worth a middle round pick.

Blacksburg, VA: Chris Colston is always quoting you in his Sports Weekly stories. Your answers are always good, but don't you get sick of him bugging you all the time?

Rob Rang: Not at all. I'm honored to work with Chris and the other terrific writers from Sports Weekly.

St. Louis, MO: Who do you think the Rams will take as their first pick?

Rob Rang: I believe the Rams will be focusing on the defensive side of the ball. In my latest projection I have the Rams taking S Michael Huff. To make a move back into contention for the NFC West crown, the Rams have to compete with the passing attacks featured by Seattle and Arizona. Even with the addition of free agent Corey Chavous, the Rams' defensive backs have to be more athletic and better tacklers — two of Huff's strengths — if this defense is to improve in 2006.

Chicago IL: My Bills have the no.8 pick. With JP Losman being less than impressive do they draft Leinhart, Young, or Cutler if they're there at no. 8? Or do they stay the course and takr the defensive lineman form Oregon?

Rob Rang: I would be surprised to see the Bills take the plunge to take another quarterback in the first round this soon after taking Losman. A defensive tackle like Ngata or Bunkley makes more sense. Watch out for TE Davis, as well.

New Port Richey, Florida: Mr Rang, Do you believe the Dolphins have a real interest in Vince Young or are they just doing their D.D.

Rob Rang: I believe the Dolphins are doing their due diligence. With Culpepper on board, this team is looking to fix other areas not quarterback.

San Jose, California: A couple of years ago, it seemed that teams were looking for big, tall corners to play against the bigger WR's coming into the league. Now it seems that those guys are being touted as safeties, does this have to do with agility and hip movement, or are safeties becoming more important to modern defenses? Are there any good pass coverage type safeties in the upcoming draft?

Rob Rang: A little of both, actually. Bigger players, generally, aren't as quick or nimble as smaller ones. The re-emergence of smaller receivers like Steve Smith, Santana Moss, etc. is forcing teams to have quicker CBs. With offenses becoming more aggressive and creative, safeties have to be able to adjust, as well. Often, they are the QB of the defense and not only have to adjust the players around them, but be able to react immediately to the action. Some of the better coverage safeties of this draft are Michael Huff, Jason Allen, and Daniel Bullocks.

Charlotte: Thanks for seeing my hand at the back of the class. Panthers pick #27 and need a linebacker, running back, and tight end. Who's the best player at each position expected to be available at that point?

Rob Rang: Saw that hand... Thanks for your patience. OLB - Chad Greenway, Demeco Ryans RB - Laurence Maroney, DeAngelo Williams TE - Leonard Pope, Marcedes Lewis

Indianapolis, IN: Character issues have been associated with LenDale White ... can you elaborate a bit more? I really like him (talent wise) on the Steelers at the end of the 1st round, but am not sure he lands there.

Rob Rang: The biggest thing is just a sense of immaturity with White. There isn't some huge criminal past with him...

Chris Dover, Tn: Who would be better for the Titans to pick in the draft. Since both Leinart played for Chow at USC and McNair is Vince Youngs mentor who would benefit more in the system and what do you think about the expanded horse collar rule.... does it prevent the defense from playing they're game. Thanks

Rob Rang: Leinart. New rule limits defense. Ten years from now they might have outlawed tackling and we'll be discussing the benefits of the two-hand touch and flag football rules.

Elizabeth City, North Carolina: With all his on-field and off-field negative images, what round do you think Marcus Vick will be selected and by what team?

Rob Rang: I don't believe he deserves to be drafted. Then again, I felt the same way about Clarett last year and he went on the first day. Anything earlier than a 5th round pick and I think it is a utter joke.

Cornelius, North carolina: Do you anticipate that any teams with high picks this year are likely to trade down?

Rob Rang: I believe you'll see the Saints trade down a spot or two. There could be a lot of action between picks 4-7. That said, I don't anticipate a team in the top 8 trading down more than 2-3 spots unless Denver gets involved (because of their two picks).

Kingsland Ga: Hi Rob, do you think the Falcon will trade Matt Schaub, to get back in the first round?

Rob Rang: No. He's too valuable for a team with legitimate Super Bowl hopes and a starting QB as likely to miss time as Vick.

detroit, MI: With all the changes the Lions made at QB, and rumors of Vince Young's stock falling will the Lions go for Young or get help at offensive line, defense or trade down? thanks

Rob Rang: I believe the Lions will have to consider either Young or Cutler if available, but the more likely scenario right now has the team adding a physical tough guy in the mold of what Millen and Marinelli are trying to build here. In my latest projection I had the Lions selecting OT Winston Justice.

Sparta Ky: Who do you have the Bengals drafting?

Rob Rang: S Donte Whitner from Ohio State. Even with the recent free agent addition of Dexter Jackson, the Bengals would be wise to snare Donte Whitner if he's available. Whitner, blessed with spectacular speed for a safety, could be the missing element on an athletic Cincinnati defense. Tight end remains the Bengals' biggest need, but most scouts feel the only player at the position worthy of a first-round selection is Davis, who won't make it out of the top 10.

Des Moines IA: With James gone, will the Colts go after a running back? I do not think Rhodes can handle the carries they need him to have.

Rob Rang: I believe the Colts will look to the draft to add some depth. In my current projection I have the Colts taking Laurence Maroney from Minnesota at pick #30. However, the Colts don't have to take a RB in the first round because of the depth of the position and the talent already on the team. Watch out for a Brian Calhoun or Maurice Drew in the second if not addressed in the first.

Miami,FL: Who do you like better as a 3-4 OLB Wimbely or Lawson from NC St.

Rob Rang: Interesting question and one that is very open to debate. Wimbley is the more versatile athlete, in my opinion. He can play both OLB and DE. Lawson has the athleticism to transition to OLB, but has struggled to maintain the weight to remain at DE. Either way, both are terrific natural pass rushers that won't make it out of the first round.

Santa Fe, NM: Who is your suprise top 15 pick this year? Can the Jets find a run stuffing DT in round 2?

Rob Rang: My surprise - and I've been touting him long enough now that it might not be considered much of a surprise anymore - is S Jason Allen from Tennessee. Once he showed scouts he was over the hip injury, he moved back into the top 15 for us.

Cleveland, Ohio: Here is a simple question. Where will Vince Young go?

Rob Rang: That, my friend, is the question of the draft. I know of scouts with most of the teams in the top 7 and everyone is talking up Young. The problem is, no one seems convinced enough about him to take him. So, I could see him easily going in the top 7. However, I have league sources who claim Young is about to take an Aaron Rodgers-like tumble down the board.

Portland, OR: Where do you see Mike Hass going in the draft and how have the combines helped him?

Rob Rang: I see Hass as a 3rd round pick. Don't get me wrong - I love his hands, routes, and toughness, but he isn't a speed threat, doesn't have great size, and wasn't able to really distinguish himself at the East-West Shrine Game that I personally scouted. I like him and think he finds a niche at the next level, but he isn't a high round pick.

Honolulu, Hawaii: Aloha Rob! This is, of course, the time of rumors,smoke etc.The Niners are rumored to be enamored of Charles Gordon from Kansas. What do you think of him and what round would you think he should go in? What other return guys are high on your list? Mahalos, Rob!

Rob Rang: I'm not a huge Gordon fan, quite honestly. He is a terrific natural athlete, but hasn't shown the ability to consistently play at a top level at either CB or WR. I see him as a middle round pick. As far as other returners, Sinorice Moss is a very good one that rarely got a chance at Miami due to Devin Hester. Coincidentally or not, I have the 49ers selecting Moss in the second of my most recent mock at NFLDraftScout.com.

good stuff, bri...

i have read him before... but that was one of the more authoritative Q & As i have seen from him... rob is a 100-eyed monster who sees everything... :)

Rob Rang is a bad ###. His draft analysis is excellent and he forms his own opinions rather than parrot other draft analysis thrown out there.

He was the only draft guy to put Lofa Tatupu in the 2nd round - ultimately where he was drafted. Also predicted Lofa would be a star.

Food for thought from a Seahawks homer.

:nerd:

Yeah thanks. Good read. Rang has ten years of experience on NFL payrolls as a scout. He's gone off on his own, but few pundits can claim that type of background.

I trust Rob Rang as much as any draftnik out there. This was a great chat and Im still digesting a lot of it. Im sure some of these situations have changed in the last week.A couple of the more interesting quotes for FF from the chat:

cleveland, OH: why would Texas take RB-Bush...[snip]Rob Rang: In a nut-shell, because Reggie Bush really is that good. You are right, of course. He isn't considered an everydown back. That said, Houston will split him out at receiver and could elect to take him out of short yardage situations to limit the hits on him. This kid has change of direction and acceleration like no one else I've ever seen except Barry Sanders. When you get a chance to take a dominant offensive weapon that your opponent must account for on every play, you do it.
Des Moines IA: With James gone, will the Colts go after a running back? I do not think Rhodes can handle the carries they need him to have.Rob Rang: I believe the Colts will look to the draft to add some depth. In my current projection I have the Colts taking Laurence Maroney from Minnesota at pick #30. However, the Colts don't have to take a RB in the first round because of the depth of the position and the talent already on the team. Watch out for a Brian Calhoun or Maurice Drew in the second if not addressed in the first.

Modesto, California: Who should the Chargers select with the 19th pick in the draft?

Rob Rang: Who SHOULD they select? They SHOULD try to trade the pick to New Orleans, in my opinion, and get back the quarterback that could help take this very good team into the playoffs. As it stands now, the team is going into the season with Philip Rivers obviously and if he is to be successful, I think the team needs to add to his offensive line and the receivers he'll be throwing to. In my current mock I have the team going in a different direction - taking CB Jonathan Joseph, because the Chargers have 3 first round CBs on their roster, but only received 3 INTs total from them last year. That said, I believe the team's #1 goal should be in adding talent on offense to help Rivers succeed.
:rolleyes:

Rob Rang is a bad ###. His draft analysis is excellent and he forms his own opinions rather than parrot other draft analysis thrown out there.

He was the only draft guy to put Lofa Tatupu in the 2nd round - ultimately where he was drafted. Also predicted Lofa would be a star.

Food for thought from a Seahawks homer.

:nerd:
He chats at seahawks.net or at least he did last year

I'll admit I have never heard of the author until now. I will look for his stuff in the future. Good read! I really enjoyed his thoughts on Lawson vs. Wimbley.

He's right you know.

Raise your hand if you've never heard of Rob Rang.
Rang has been around quite a while & provides some very solid analysis. He's probably the 2nd or 3rd best draft analyst out there, especially since Great Blue North has been slipping recently.

Rang has been around quite a while & provides some very solid analysis. He's probably the 2nd or 3rd best draft analyst out there, especially since Great Blue North has been slipping recently.
who would you put above/around him?

For me Randy Galloway is one of the best...imo. I hate the rest of the crap he writes. He knows the draft though, his last mock is very very accurate.

For me Randy Galloway is one of the best...imo. I hate the rest of the crap he writes. He knows the draft though, his last mock is very very accurate.
I like Randy tooLink to his mock?

No Mock yet, sorry my post was misleading. What I meant is the last mock he does (Usually published the day of the draft) is usually the most accurate of all the writers and analysts)

His first one should be coming soon, I will post it once it's out.

Yeah thanks. Good read. Rang has ten years of experience on NFL payrolls as a scout. He's gone off on his own, but few pundits can claim that type of background.
before the 2001 draft i received a call from a chicago college newspaper about the draft. when the issue came out it had numerous quotes from myself and...rob "boomer" rang. at the time he was plugging an old site of his, but i was impressed with his insight and knowledge. he is one of the best "independent" scouting voices on the webrob rang knows his stuff :thumbup: thanks for the link/info

Wall, NJ: What does Minnesota do with the 17th pick? Rob Rang: Minnesota has a lot of different options. The expected loss of WR Burleson could cause the team to explore this position. Chad Jackson, if available, would make a lot of sense. Also, Minnesota is a trendy destination for the QBs Young and Cutler should either take a real tumble down the board, as some scouts feel will happen. The other position I could see Minnesota focusing in on is at OLB. Their Cover 2 scheme requires linebackers with speed and if Ernie Sims is still available, I think he has to be a very strong consideration.
I would be very surprised if Minny took Chad Jackson or Simms. IMO, they needs a pure ILB much worse than a OLB. Minny lost 2 starting DBs, Williams and Chavous, in free agency. I think a CB (maybe a S tweener) is not out of the question.

Rob Rang: Minnesota has a lot of different options. The expected loss of WR Burleson could cause the team to explore this position. Chad Jackson, if available, would make a lot of sense. Also, Minnesota is a trendy destination for the QBs Young and Cutler should either take a real tumble down the board, as some scouts feel will happen. The other position I could see Minnesota focusing in on is at OLB. Their Cover 2 scheme requires linebackers with speed and if Ernie Sims is still available, I think he has to be a very strong consideration.
I would be very surprised if Minny took Chad Jackson or Simms. IMO, they needs a pure ILB much worse than a OLB. Minny lost 2 starting DBs, Williams and Chavous, in free agency. I think a CB (maybe a S tweener) is not out of the question.
Do they have 2 second round picks?Some draft folks seem to almost say there's 3 WRs and then a slew of "eh" players. They need one so maybe they have to?

I do agree, Vikes could use just about anything on D but that's been their story the last 20 years or so.

Do they have 2 second round picks?Some draft folks seem to almost say there's 3 WRs and then a slew of "eh" players. They need one so maybe they have to?

I do agree, Vikes could use just about anything on D but that's been their story the last 20 years or so.
They may need a WR, but don't think they need a first round WR. They need a guy to come in and develop and play a little special teams. It would be nice to get Hagan, Stovall, Orr, or Williams in the third round. I think if they get another first round WR, then you are hesitant to use them on ST (and I am talking covering kicks and punts, not just returning). They need their 5th WR to be one of those types. Krob, Williamson, Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson are a good group but none are going to contribute to ST other than the return game. Taylor and Marcus might be gone after this season, so it would be good to bring in a 3rd rounder to groom for the 3/4 WR type spot.I would like Sims in the first, but I think his stock is rising at this point and don't know that he is good enough to trade up for, so ultimately, I think they should go DB. Either Jason Allen, if available, or a top corner to be the nickel DB and take Brian Williams' spot.

I said that I would be very surprised but it doesn't mean I'd be disappointed. I don't think I'd be disappointed with Jackson if Minnesota uses their second rounders wisely. (Of course, Minnesota would be slandered as being the new Detroit Lions for taking back to back WRs in the first round.) I like to see Minny draft a middle LB sometime on the first day. Hopefully, someone with leadership abilities. I admit, I am not a big fan of Simms because of the injury and character issues.

Kiper is tops. As much as I dislike him, I have to acknowledge that he's the leader of the pack. nfl.com has very solid player profiles, IMO.I'd put you on the list, but then I'd be afraid of you starting to charge & then I wouldn't have access to your stuff. You get a little too caught up in preconceived ideals sometimes, but overall your analysis is top notch.

Kiper is tops. As much as I dislike him, I have to acknowledge that he's the leader of the pack. nfl.com has very solid player profiles, IMO.I'd put you on the list, but then I'd be afraid of you starting to charge & then I wouldn't have access to your stuff. You get a little too caught up in preconceived ideals sometimes, but overall your analysis is top notch.
well, first, Bloom does charge, kinda, now that he is part of staff, and it was wise move, by him AND the FBG team. as it got me to sign up for the 3 year deal. That was a big missing part to the services... Next step is looking at college recruiting!!

thanks man, coming from you (someone i respect) that is a high compliment. I will definitely agree that my initial feeling about a player will skew the way i take information in on him - i do however try to be forthcoming about my biases.

He's right you know.
Yeah, that would be awesome -- assuming that the Saints have already paid Brees's $10 million signing bonus.Otherwise, it'd be kind of silly.

Here is Galloway's first mock.

1. Houston Reggie Bush HB Southern California

(Bush was the best player in college football last season and has a Heisman Trophy as proof. He's the best player in this draft and likely will have the first overall pick as proof. Pencil him in today as the 2006 NFL Rookie of the Year.)

2. New Orleans Matt Leinart QB Southern California

3. Tennessee Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt

4. N.Y. Jets Mario Williams DE North Carolina State

5. Green Bay A.J. Hawk OLB Ohio State

6. San Francisco Vernon Davis TE Maryland

7. Oakland Vince Young QB Texas

8. Buffalo D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT Virginia

(If there's a run of quarterbacks at the top of the draft, as there is in this mock, an elite player is going to slide. In this case it's Ferguson, the best blocker on the board and a top-three value.)

9. Detroit Michael Huff CB/S Texas

10. Arizona Haloti Ngata DT Oregon

11. St. Louis Jimmy Williams CB Virginia Tech

12. Cleveland Brodrick Bunkley DT Florida State

13. Baltimore Jonathan Joseph CB South Carolina

14. Philadelphia Ernie Sims OLB Florida State

15. Denver Manny Lawson DE North Carolina State

16. Miami Winston Justice OT Southern California

17. Minnesota Chad Greenway OLB Iowa

18. Dallas Santonio Holmes WR Ohio State

(With two starting wideouts in their 30s, the Cowboys need some youth on the flank. Holmes brings big-play potential in the Terry Glenn mold, averaging 18.4 yards per catch last season.)

19. San Diego Antonio Cromartie CB Florida State

20. Kansas City Tamba Hali DE Penn State

21. New England Bobby Carpenter OLB Ohio State

22. Denver Laurence Maroney HB Minnesota

23. Tampa Bay John McCargo DT North Carolina State

24. Cincinnati Donte Whitner S Ohio State

25. N.Y. Giants DeAngelo Williams HB Memphis

(A run on defensive players in the teens could push the bulk of the running-back board into the 20s. Good backs like Laurence Maroney and DeAngelo Williams could fall into the laps of good teams.)

26. Chicago Tye Hill CB Clemson

27. Carolina LenDale White HB Southern California

28. Jacksonville Ashton Youboty CB Ohio State

29. N.Y. Jets Kamerion Wimbley DE Florida State

30. Indianapolis Joseph Addai HB LSU

31. Seattle Chris Chester G Oklahoma

32. Pittsburgh Jason Allen CB/S Tennessee

New Port Richey, Florida: Mr Rang, Do you believe the Dolphins have a real interest in Vince Young or are they just doing their D.D.

Rob Rang: I believe the Dolphins are doing their due diligence. With Culpepper on board, this team is looking to fix other areas not quarterback.
Or the Dolphins wanted to scout Young since he may end up in their conference.

Agreed. Credibility lost in my eyes. He obviously hasn't followed the situation close enough to understand all of the variables.

Users who are viewing this thread