What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rod Smith (1 Viewer)

H.O.F. for Rod Smith

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Uncle Pete

Footballguy
This is a simple yes or no... no maybes... look at his career stats...

Career Stats Receiving Kickoff Returns Punt Returns Fumbles Season Team G Rec Yds Y/G Avg Lng YAC 1stD TD KR Yds Avg Long TD PR Yds Avg Long TD Fum FumL 1995-96 Denver 16 6 152 9.5 25.3 43 7.5 5 1 4 54 13.5 17 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 1996-97 Denver 10 16 237 23.7 14.8 49 6.0 10 2 1 29 29.0 29 0 23 283 12.3 36 0 0 0 1997-98 Denver 16 70 1180 73.8 16.9 78 5.6 54 12 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 12 12.0 12 0 3 1 1998-99 Denver 16 86 1222 76.4 14.2 58 4.2 60 6 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 1999-00 Denver 15 79 1020 68.0 12.9 71 4.7 48 4 1 10 10.0 10 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 1 2000-01 Denver 16 100 1602 100.1 16.0 49 6.4 77 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 2001-02 Denver 15 113 1343 89.5 11.9 65 5.7 75 11 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2002-03 Denver 16 89 1027 64.2 11.5 46 4.1 53 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 2003-04 Denver 15 74 845 56.3 11.4 38 4.4 48 3 0 0 0.0 0 0 6 127 21.2 65 1 0 0 2004-05 Denver 16 79 1144 71.5 14.5 85 5.3 52 7 0 0 0.0 0 0 22 223 10.1 30 0 1 0 2005-06 Denver 12 63 802 66.8 12.7 72 4.6 41 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 Career 163 775 10574 64.9 13.6 85 5.1 523 64 6 93 15.5 29 0 52 645 12.4 65 1 9 5
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3328/c...NG6MFSkq0L.uLYFI do not see how he is NOT a H.O.Famer, he def would get my vote...

No...unfortunately for Rod he's playing in one of the most prolific passing eras of all time. While he's quite possibly the most successful undrafted player of all time, he was never considered the best at his position; he's always had contemporaries that were held in higher regard.

He has the stats, plus two rings in seasons where he was the team's lead receiver. Not one who comes to mind as a bonafide HOFer, but he's got the credentials.

Not in my opinion. Somebody mentioned the best undrafted player ever, and I agree. Even looking at his stats, he only had one great year and 2 more good years, over 1200. I'll even throw in the 2 more years where he was within 40 yards of 1200, and he had 1 great year, and 2 very good years. My two biggest knocks against him are, he drops a lot of balls (lived in Denver for his career, and saw this, not just drops, but crucial drops), and when Eddie Mac went down, Rod couldn't cope with the double team, whereas great receivers can. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, and he has had a good career, and will likely go into the ring of fame in Denver, but not the Hall. Guys like Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, TO (IF he get's his head straight) go to the hall. Virtually any average to slightly above average receiver put into Rods situation in Denver, where D's gear up to stop the run, would have compiled similar, if not better, stats.

He has the stats, plus two rings in seasons where he was the team's lead receiver. Not one who comes to mind as a bonafide HOFer, but he's got the credentials.
Getting into the PFHOF isn't easy [nor should it be] and it's nearly impossible to be inducted unless you're among the best at your position in your own era.Rod has only been to two Pro Bowls, never made an All Pro team and has only been among top 5 in receptions three times, yards 4 times and TDs twice.

Think of all his contemporaries that would have to be inducted before he gets consideration:

Jerry Rice

Cris Carter
Tim Brown
Michael Irvin
Marvin Harrison
Terrell Owens
Randy MossMeanwhile, there are other contemporaries who have arguably equivalent or better cases...

Jimmy Smith -- More receptions, yards, TDs, 5-time Pro Bowler
Isaac Bruce -- More receptions, yards, TDs, 4-time Pro Bowler, 1 SB ring [2 apps]
Torry Holt -- Needs a few more years but has been better per season than Smith and has the rings and Pro Bowls [3 and counting]
Andre Reed -- On HOF short list this year, a compiler but worthy of consideration

He is NOT getting in and it's not even close. Art Monk still isn't in and Rod couldn't carry Art's jock.

He is NOT getting in and it's not even close. Art Monk still isn't in and Rod couldn't carry Art's jock.
I agree on both counts, although in my analysis [see above], I intentionally avoided including Monk in this discussion as he wasn't really one of Rod's contemporaries. One of the things that hurts Monk's candidacy at this point is that he didn't get in when his contemporaries were being evaluated, and now has the dual-edged sword of being evaluted against his own peers AND a more prolific group of receivers in this era.

Lots of seasons with 75 catches for 1000 yards and 7 TDs does not make a HOFer in my book.
Cal Ripken ring any bells?
AL MVP twice. All-star 19 times. One of the elite SS's throughout most of his career. HOF.
Then R. Smith should get in too.
:11:Rod Smith had nowhere close to the impact on his team's success and his sport's success that Cal had. Rod Smith did not change the nature of his position like Cal did.

Not to mention that 2 Pro Bowls is an order of magnitude less than 19 All Star games, 0 MVPs to 2 MVPs, etc.

The comparison is laughable.

Lots of seasons with 75 catches for 1000 yards and 7 TDs does not make a HOFer in my book.
AL MVP twice. All-star 19 times. One of the elite SS's throughout most of his career. HOF.
:11:Rod Smith had nowhere close to the impact on his team's success and his sport's success that Cal had. Rod Smith did not change the nature of his position like Cal did.

Not to mention that 2 Pro Bowls is an order of magnitude less than 19 All Star games, 0 MVPs to 2 MVPs, etc.

How many rings did Cal have?You HAVE TO look at the whole picture.

He was on one WS winner. And he batted .336 in 28 postseason games. What's your point? If you think Rod Smith contributed more to his teams than Cal Ripken did, you're wrong, plain and simple. You simply chose a bad example to try and make your case here. And by the way, the answer is no, Rod Smith will not be a HOFer. Woodrow nicely summarized why. I suggest you read his post again and forget Cal Ripken.

He was on one WS winner. And he batted .336 in 28 postseason games. What's your point? If you think Rod Smith contributed more to his teams than Cal Ripken did, you're wrong, plain and simple. You simply chose a bad example to try and make your case here. And by the way, the answer is no, Rod Smith will not be a HOFer. Woodrow nicely summarized why. I suggest you read his post again and forget Cal Ripken.
:goodposting: Rings are important to be sure, but they don't supercede relative performance versus one's peer group...unless you were part of the 70s Steelers that is.

Unfortunetly, the answer is no. But only because he doesn't have the stats in the part of the game that so many of you have looked at - catches. The Pro Bowls and All Pro awards are based on catches, but having watched him for his entire career, I doubt you will find a harder worker at the blocking aspect that is so overlooked at WR. And the success of the Bronco running game is not only the system but it is the effort that Rod puts into every running play. It is no coincidence that since 1996 the Broncos have had the NFL's most potent running attack. I just wish voters would recognize how complete a WR Rod is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the modern era WRs in the HOF:

Lance Alworth 1962-1972

Raymond Berry 1955-1967

Fred Biletnikoff 1965-1978

Tom Fears 1948-1956

Elroy (Crazylegs) Hirsch (also HB) 1946-1956

Charlie Joiner 1969-1986

Steve Largent 1976-1989

Dante Lavelli 1946-1956

James Lofton 1978-1993

Don Maynard 1958, 1960-1973

Tommy McDonald 1957-1968

Bobby Mitchell (also HB) 1958-1968

Pete Pihos 1947-1955

John Stallworth 1974-1987

Lynn Swann 1974-1982

Charley Taylor (also HB) 1964-1975, 1977

Paul Warfield 1964-1977

There are only 5 WR who played within the past 25 years in the HOF.

The way the HOF works, not only is Smith competing against his contemporary receivers... he is competing against players at all positions. From NFL HOF FAQ:

...The Final Preliminary List of 25 modern-era candidates will be distributed to the Selection Committee during the month of November for the purpose of the selection of 13 Modern Era Nominees. The 14th and 15th finalists are the recommended candidates of the Seniors Committee.

In advance of the Hall of Fame Selection Meeting in February, the selectors are provided detailed biographies on each of the 15 finalist candidates. At the annual meeting, each of the nominees is thoroughly discussed by the committee before a series of reduction votes are taken. The first vote reduces the finalists list from 15 to 10. Next, a vote is taken to reduce the list from 10 to 6 names. The six remaining candidates for Hall of Fame election are then voted on individually (yes or no) for membership.

In order to be elected a finalist must receive a minimum of 80% of the vote.
So for Smith to get elected, he would have to be voted as one of the 6 most deserving candidates in a given year from amongst all candidates (all players, coaches, and contributors). That is one reason so few WRs have been elected. The NFL HOF is truly for elite players, with a rare exception here and there.Rod Smith has not been an elite player, as evidenced by his low number of Pro Bowls and the fact that he never made an All Pro team.

Case closed.

From a Bronco Homer, No.Rod has been a very good to less then great receiver. He has been consistently consistent. Is he one of the greatest receivers to play the game, no.

If you're going to use that logic, you can forget Ray Lewis from ever getting into the HoF, because Randy Gradishar isn't there.

I voted yes, but I'd like to take it back. Rod won't make the HOF for one reason - he plays in Denver. If you don't play on either coast, in Dallas, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh, you get no respect from the press.How else can you justify that Elway is the ONLY Bronco in the HOF? (Dorsett and Willie Brownb don't count.)Broncos whom I believe should be in included at LEAST as finalists include Gradishar, Tom Jackson, Karl Mecklenburg, Dennis Smith, Steve Atwater, Floyd Little, Gary Zimmerman, and Dan Reeves. Debate these guys merits all you want, but the fact remains that there is inferior talent in the HOF right now, and most of these guys aren't considered.edit: corrected for spelling. Thanks, JimOtto.

He's a borderline HOF'er. He had some good years and helped win a couple SB's, but he was never a big TD guy and only hit double-digit TD's twice. He's like Monk in a lot of ways and will probably not get in for many of the same reasons as Monk.

If you're going to use that logic, you can forget Ray Lewis from ever getting into the HoF, because Randy Gradishar isn't there.
You're wrong because obviously Ray Lewis COULD carry Gradishar and Tom Jacksons jock at the same time with one hand.

I voted yes, but I'd like to take it back. Rod won't make the HOF for one reason - he plays in Denver. If you don't play on either coast, in Dallas, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh, you get no respect from the press.

How else can you justify that Elway is the ONLY Bronco in the HOF? (Dorsett and Willie Brownb don't count.)

Broncos whom I believe should be in included at LEAST as finalists include Gradishar, Ton Jackson, Karl Mecklenburg, Dennis Smith, Steve Atwater, Floyd Little, Gary Zimmerman, and Dan Reeves. Debate these guys merits all you want, but the fact remains that there is [B]inferrior talent in the HOF right now, and most of these guys aren't considered.
Say what????????

That's some of the stinkiest bait I've seen on these boards in quite a while.BTW, I voted a resounding NO

Most people answering this question based solely on Smith's numbers will probably vote no. But there's more to a football player than numbers. Anyone who says, "My vote is a resounding NO," as a few of you have, well, you have either not watched Rod Smith play very much, or you don't know a whole lot about football. While Smith may not be deserving in your opinion, he at least warrants consideration from any knowledgeable football fan. I'm not saying that Smith should definitely be voted into the HOF, but based on what he has done for the Denver offense year in and year out for the past 10 years, I think he is deserving. For those of you who say he has not been an important part of the team, you couldn't be more wrong. Smith and Tom Nalen are the only two guys still around from the Super Bowl teams. Year in, year out, Smith brings it, regardless of his supporting cast, regardless of the whispers that he's lost a step. I can assure you that if Denver did not have Rod Smith, they would be nowhere close to 9-3 right now. I'm not going to write an essay about why this is, because I can't really explain. All I can say is that, as someone who never misses a Denver game, I am positive that he is, and has been, one of the most valuable players on that offense for the last decade.

Most people answering this question based solely on Smith's numbers will probably vote no. But there's more to a football player than numbers. Anyone who says, "My vote is a resounding NO," as a few of you have, well, you have either not watched Rod Smith play very much, or you don't know a whole lot about football. While Smith may not be deserving in your opinion, he at least warrants consideration from any knowledgeable football fan.

I'm not saying that Smith should definitely be voted into the HOF, but based on what he has done for the Denver offense year in and year out for the past 10 years, I think he is deserving. For those of you who say he has not been an important part of the team, you couldn't be more wrong. Smith and Tom Nalen are the only two guys still around from the Super Bowl teams. Year in, year out, Smith brings it, regardless of his supporting cast, regardless of the whispers that he's lost a step. I can assure you that if Denver did not have Rod Smith, they would be nowhere close to 9-3 right now.

I'm not going to write an essay about why this is, because I can't really explain. All I can say is that, as someone who never misses a Denver game, I am positive that he is, and has been, one of the most valuable players on that offense for the last decade.
The way we compare players across eras is to look at how they compare to their peer group - this is one of the primary measures used for HOF inclusion. Sorry, but as has already been mentioned here, Smith simply can't compete with the Rices and Mosses and many other of his contemporaries who were simply better. The other measure often used is whether opponents felt they had to game plan against a player. This is probably the biggest knock on Art Monk - defensive coaches of his era have said that when they faced the Redskins, they simply didn't fear Monk. I think the same thing could apply to Smith. When facing the Broncos, Defenses were probably concerned early in his career with stopping Elway in general (rather than to stop Smith specifically) and throughout his career the focal point of defenses would be to stop the Denver running game.

For these reasons I think he simply won't be a Hall of Famer. He might be a finalist on some ballots in recognition of a very good career, but I just don't see how he can get in the hall. The question wasn't does he deserve consideration, the question was "is he a hall of famer?"

Really good player? Yes.

Good guy? Seems like it.

Team player and role model? From what I hear, yes.

Important part of an above average team for a long time? Yep.

Contributed to a 2x Super Bowl team? of course.

Will he be considered? Probably

Hall of famer? No.

(Edited to add comments about "consideration" vs. being a HOFer)

Most people answering this question based solely on Smith's numbers will probably vote no.  But there's more to a football player than numbers.  Anyone who says, "My vote is a resounding NO," as a few of you have, well, you have either not watched Rod Smith play very much, or you don't know a whole lot about football.  While Smith may not be deserving in your opinion, he at least warrants consideration from any knowledgeable football fan. 

I'm not saying that Smith should definitely be voted into the HOF, but based on what he has done for the Denver offense year in and year out for the past 10 years, I think he is deserving.  For those of you who say he has not been an important part of the team, you couldn't be more wrong.  Smith and Tom Nalen are the only two guys still around from the Super Bowl teams.  Year in, year out, Smith brings it, regardless of his supporting cast, regardless of the whispers that he's lost a step.  I can assure you that if Denver did not have Rod Smith, they would be nowhere close to 9-3 right now. 

I'm not going to write an essay about why this is, because I can't really explain.  All I can say is that, as someone who never misses a Denver game, I am positive that he is, and has been, one of the most valuable players on that offense for the last decade.
The way we compare players across eras is to look at how they compare to their peer group - this is one of the primary measures used for HOF inclusion. Sorry, but as has already been mentioned here, Smith simply can't compete with the Rices and Mosses and many other of his contemporaries who were simply better. The other measure often used is whether opponents felt they had to game plan against a player. This is probably the biggest knock on Art Monk - defensive coaches of his era have said that when they faced the Redskins, they simply didn't fear Monk. I think the same thing could apply to Smith. When facing the Broncos, Defenses were probably concerned early in his career with stopping Elway in general (rather than to stop Smith specifically) and throughout his career the focal point of defenses would be to stop the Denver running game.

For these reasons I think he simply won't be a Hall of Famer. He might be a finalist on some ballots in recognition of a very good career, but I just don't see how he can get in the hall.

Really good player? Yes.

Good guy? Seems like it.

Team player and role model? From what I hear, yes.

Important part of an above average team for a long time? Yep.

Contributed to a 2x Super Bowl team? of course.

Hall of famer? No.
This is a good post, and I think I can agree with it. The gameplanning example is a nice distinction that I hadn't really thought of. It just seems to me like not a lot of people don't give Smith the credit he deserves. While he may not be worthy of going to the HOF, he IS worthy of consideration, and it seems a lot of the guys here don't agree with that. There are so many intangibles that he does that go unnoticed by most, whether it be his blocking skills or his unselfishness, his leadership abilities or his excellent route running.

for whatever reason, he seems to have been good "forever".Name a Bronco you used to root for. TD? Elway? Sharpe? Easy Ed? I'd swear he's played 20 years.

Rod Smith's 1998 Superbowl Statline:5 receptions, 152 yards, 1 TDseems like an all-pro performance in a big game to me

All I can say is that, as someone who never misses a Denver game, I am positive that he is, and has been, one of the most valuable players on that offense for the last decade.
I agree, he has. That's not even debatable. Good, long term player (maybe 11 years or so, including the practice squad time?), not a hall of famer. But, as was said, he was never the focal point of the D's game plan. The plan for years has been stop the running game, and make the passing game beat you. They haven't done it since Elway left. Smiths numbers took a huge dive when Eddie Mac left, because he can't produce against a double team. Great receivers can. Harrison did it for years, Moss did it in Minny, Irvin did it in Dallas, Steve Smith is showing he can do it in Carolina. It can be done, and the great ones do it. For the record, short of Steve smith, I believe the these guys are on Hall of Fame paths.

It just seems to me like not a lot of people don't give Smith the credit he deserves. While he may not be worthy of going to the HOF, he IS worthy of consideration, and it seems a lot of the guys here don't agree with that. There are so many intangibles that he does that go unnoticed by most, whether it be his blocking skills or his unselfishness, his leadership abilities or his excellent route running.
But what exactly does it mean to be "worthy of consideration?" Does it mean he is "close?" While I respect him, I don't think I agree.Think of it this way. Every year there is the equivalent of a "graduating class" of players who leave the NFL, never to play again. This is what determines when players become HOF eligible (5 years later). This year, or any year of his career, can anyone truly say that Rod Smith has been one of the top 6 players in football? Can anyone say he has had one of the top 6 recent careers in football?

I love the guy and respect how he plays the game. But IMO it is clear that he is not HOF material, given the requirements for entry. It is a very high standard to be one of the top 6 players in any given HOF voting year, plus that doesn't even take coaches, contributors, and eligible "old timers" into account.

I haven't seen anyone knocking Rod Smith here. It is just a really difficult standard to meet, and he doesn't meet it.

It just seems to me like not a lot of people don't give Smith the credit he deserves.  While he may not be worthy of going to the HOF, he IS worthy of consideration, and it seems a lot of the guys here don't agree with that.  There are so many intangibles that he does that go unnoticed by most, whether it be his blocking skills or his unselfishness, his leadership abilities or his excellent route running.
But what exactly does it mean to be "worthy of consideration?" Does it mean he is "close?" While I respect him, I don't think I agree.Think of it this way. Every year there is the equivalent of a "graduating class" of players who leave the NFL, never to play again. This is what determines when players become HOF eligible (5 years later). This year, or any year of his career, can anyone truly say that Rod Smith has been one of the top 6 players in football? Can anyone say he has had one of the top 6 recent careers in football?

I love the guy and respect how he plays the game. But IMO it is clear that he is not HOF material, given the requirements for entry. It is a very high standard to be one of the top 6 players in any given HOF voting year, plus that doesn't even take coaches, contributors, and eligible "old timers" into account.

I haven't seen anyone knocking Rod Smith here. It is just a really difficult standard to meet, and he doesn't meet it.
:yes: Honestly, this shouldn't be a debate. Rod Smith = a very good player, but not a hall of famer.

Using the Top 5 in key categories argument, Smith has ranked Top 5 in receptions 3 times, receiving yards twice, and receiving TD twice for a total of 7 Top 5 finishes in an 11 year career. If you play this out for other top WR, this really puts him pretty far down on the WR food chain for HOF consideration.(For those that don't feel like doing the research, I have posted the numbers for other WR in many other threads, so if you use the search function, you might find the list somewhere . . .)

This year, or any year of his career, can anyone truly say that Rod Smith has been one of the top 6 players in football?
Yes. 2001. Look at the numbers he put up with no number 2 WR (that was the year McCaffrey got hurt in the first game of the season). Rod Smith was phenomenal that season and definitely one of the top players in the league. Having said that, I would say Rod Smith is not a Hall of Famer. He has been a great player for the Broncos over the years, but he simply does not have the numbers or the reputation to get into the Hall.

He is Rafeal Palmeiro without the steroids controversy. Except football is less about the numbers as their relevancy is useless when you compare eras. IF Football had baseballs obsession with 500 homers(the equivalent of 500 catches) every decent reciever would be considered. He is very borderline and will have to wait a long time, especially if Irvin has to wait forever........

He is Rafeal Palmeiro without the steroids controversy. Except football is less about the numbers as their relevancy is useless when you compare eras. IF Football had baseballs obsession with 500 homers(the equivalent of 500 catches) every decent reciever would be considered. He is very borderline and will have to wait a long time, especially if Irvin has to wait forever........
I think 500 homers equals alot more than 500 catches... :rolleyes:

While I'm normally a guy who is big on judging players by hard statistical evidence rather than opinion or eyeball judgments, I take the opposite stance with the Hall.It's called the Hall of Fame. Not the Hall of Achievement. Fame is the key word. It's for the players who became famous. The players who stood out above the rest. The players you watched in amazement. The players that are known even to the non-fans. The players that you'll tell your grandkids about. The players that become legends.Rod Smith put up nice stats, but what's special about him? What did he do to stand out, to change the game? He's not a player who will be talked about long after he retires or that did anything to transcend the game. He was just a very good player. Not a Hall of Famer.

How can this even be this close?

Code:
Yes [ 38 ]        ** [40.43%]No  [ 56 ]        ** [59.57%]Total Votes: 94
There is no effing way he should make it. I doubt he even makes a ballot. The PFHOF is not for guys that play decent for an extended amount of time, like baseball may be (i.e. Palmeiro).

Rod Smith in HOF = :thumbup:

Bettis in HOF = :thumbup:

Vinny T in HOF = :thumbup:

GB stats.
Just because a player played a long time DOES NOT make him a HOFer. At some point, the player needs to have been an elite player and sustained a TOP level of performance.Bettis will probably make it (although he should be a lot more borderline). He ranked in the Top 5 in rushing attempts 3 times, rushing yards 3 times, rushing TD once, and total yards 3 times in 13 seasons. Not stellar, but he put up so many yards at a tough position for longevity that he'll probably get in.

Vinny ranked Top 5 in completions twice, passing yards once, and TD passes twice for a total of 5 Top 5 finishes in 19 seasons. He had TWO good seasons. IMO, that does not a HOFer make.

This year, or any year of his career, can anyone truly say that Rod Smith has been one of the top 6 players in football? 
Yes. 2001. Look at the numbers he put up with no number 2 WR (that was the year McCaffrey got hurt in the first game of the season). Rod Smith was phenomenal that season and definitely one of the top players in the league. Having said that, I would say Rod Smith is not a Hall of Famer. He has been a great player for the Broncos over the years, but he simply does not have the numbers or the reputation to get into the Hall.
I know this isn't the main point here, but I disagree that he was a top 6 football player in 2001. I know stats don't tell the full story, but here were Smith's in 2001: 113/1343/11At his own position, was he better than:

Owens (93/1412/16)

Harrison (109/1524/15)

Boston (98/1598/8)

Do his intangibles over those other WRs make up the gap in production?

Was he better than Faulk (2147 total yards, 21 TDs)?

Was he better than Priest (2169 total yards, 10 TDs)?

Was he better than Warner (4830 passing yards, 36 TDs)?

Was he better than Pro Bowl offensive linemen Orlando Pace, Larry Allen, Walter Jones, Alan Faneca, Jonathan Ogden, etc.?

Was he better than Defensive Player of the Year, Michael Strahan?

Here is the 2001 All NFL Team:

OffensePos SelectorsWR— David Boston, Arizona AP, TSN, PFWAWR— Terrell Owens, San Francisco AP, TSN, PFWATE— Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City AP, TSN, PFWAT— Orlando Pace, St. Louis AP, TSN, PFWAT— Walter Jones, Seattle APT— Jonathan Ogden, Baltimore TSN, PFWAG— Alan Faneca, Pittsburgh AP, TSN, PFWAG— Larry Allen, Dallas AP, TSN, PFWAC— Kevin Mawae, NY Jets AP, TSN, PFWAQB— Kurt Warner, St. Louis AP, TSN, PFWARB— Marshall Faulk, St. Louis AP, TSN, PFWARB— Priest Holmes, Kansas City APRB— Curtis Martin, NY Jets TSN, PFWADefensePos SelectorsDE— Michael Strahan, NY Giants AP, TSN, PFWADE— John Abraham, NY Jets AP, TSN, PFWADT— Ted Washington, Chicago AP, TSNDT— Warren Sapp, Tampa Bay AP, TSN, PFWADT— Sam Adams, Baltimore PFWALB— Brian Urlacher, Chicago AP, TSN, PFWALB— Ray Lewis, Baltimore AP, TSNLB— Jason Gildon, Pittsburgh AP, PFWALB— Jamir Miller, Cleveland AP, TSN, PFWACB— Aeneas Williams, St. Louis AP, TSN, PFWACB— Ronde Barber, Tampa Bay AP, PFWACB— Charles Woodson, Oakland TSNS— Brian Dawkins, Philadelphia AP, TSN, PFWAS— Mike Brown, Chicago APS— Rodney Harrison, San Diego TSNS— John Lynch, Tampa Bay PFWASpecialistsPos SelectorsPK— David Akers, Philadelphia AP, TSN, PFWAP— Todd Sauerbrun, Carolina AP, TSN, PFWAKR— Steve Smith, Carolina AP, TSN, PFWAPR— Jermaine Lewis, Baltimore TSNPR— Troy Brown, New England PFWAST— Larry Whigham, Chicago PFWANote that Smith didn't make it. But even if you assume he should have somehow, do you really think he was better than all but 5 of those players in 2001? And this was Smith's best season.This is simply a microcosm of what any player is up against when competing for HOF induction. They are competing against all eligible NFL players, coaches, and contributors for at most 6 spots per year.

I know this isn't the main point here, but I disagree that he was a top 6 football player in 2001. I know stats don't tell the full story, but here were Smith's in 2001: 113/1343/11At his own position, was he better than:

Owens (93/1412/16)

Harrison (109/1524/15)

Boston (98/1598/8)

Do his intangibles over those other WRs make up the gap in production?

Was he better than Faulk (2147 total yards, 21 TDs)?

Was he better than Priest (2169 total yards, 10 TDs)?

Was he better than Warner (4830 passing yards, 36 TDs)?

Was he better than Pro Bowl offensive linemen Orlando Pace, Larry Allen, Walter Jones, Alan Faneca, Jonathan Ogden, etc.?

Was he better than Defensive Player of the Year, Michael Strahan?

Here is the 2001 All NFL Team:

OffensePos   SelectorsWR— David Boston, Arizona AP, TSN, PFWAWR— Terrell Owens, San Francisco AP, TSN, PFWATE— Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City AP, TSN, PFWAT— Orlando Pace, St. Louis AP, TSN, PFWAT— Walter Jones, Seattle APT— Jonathan Ogden, Baltimore TSN, PFWAG— Alan Faneca, Pittsburgh AP, TSN, PFWAG— Larry Allen, Dallas AP, TSN, PFWAC— Kevin Mawae, NY Jets AP, TSN, PFWAQB— Kurt Warner, St. Louis AP, TSN, PFWARB— Marshall Faulk, St. Louis AP, TSN, PFWARB— Priest Holmes, Kansas City APRB— Curtis Martin, NY Jets TSN, PFWADefensePos   SelectorsDE— Michael Strahan, NY Giants AP, TSN, PFWADE— John Abraham, NY Jets AP, TSN, PFWADT— Ted Washington, Chicago AP, TSNDT— Warren Sapp, Tampa Bay AP, TSN, PFWADT— Sam Adams, Baltimore PFWALB— Brian Urlacher, Chicago AP, TSN, PFWALB— Ray Lewis, Baltimore AP, TSNLB— Jason Gildon, Pittsburgh AP, PFWALB— Jamir Miller, Cleveland AP, TSN, PFWACB— Aeneas Williams, St. Louis AP, TSN, PFWACB— Ronde Barber, Tampa Bay AP, PFWACB— Charles Woodson, Oakland TSNS— Brian Dawkins, Philadelphia AP, TSN, PFWAS— Mike Brown, Chicago APS— Rodney Harrison, San Diego TSNS— John Lynch, Tampa Bay PFWASpecialistsPos   SelectorsPK— David Akers, Philadelphia AP, TSN, PFWAP— Todd Sauerbrun, Carolina AP, TSN, PFWAKR— Steve Smith, Carolina AP, TSN, PFWAPR— Jermaine Lewis, Baltimore TSNPR— Troy Brown, New England PFWAST— Larry Whigham, Chicago PFWANote that Smith didn't make it. But even if you assume he should have somehow, do you really think he was better than all but 5 of those players in 2001? And this was Smith's best season.This is simply a microcosm of what any player is up against when competing for HOF induction. They are competing against all eligible NFL players, coaches, and contributors for at most 6 spots per year.
Great post JWB.Frankly, I think the people voting yes are either a) emotionally attached to him as Broncos fans or b) really unfamiliar with the historical context of how one gets into the PFHOF.

Users who are viewing this thread