What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rodney Harrison (1 Viewer)

Bump.

What's the status of his rehab? Any news?
I'm assuming "no" news is "good" news. Rodney recently stated he will make a comeback. Until I hear anything different, I'm going to assuming he'll make the comeback.If McGahee can return, so can Rodney.

I think Harrison could be a little bit of a sleeper due to the injury and his age. I could see him being productive for a couple years before retiring and letting Sanders get a shot.

I think Harrison could be a little bit of a sleeper due to the injury and his age. I could see him being productive for a couple years before retiring and letting Sanders get a shot.
I've had a similar guy on my roster the last couple of seasons - Robert Griffith. I try to find ways to justify cutting him to keep a younger guy, but he seems to always do just enough to not only remain on my roster but to get playing time, and justifiably so. Those days are over for Griffith IMHO, but Harrison looks like he'll be that kind of guy now.

So if Harrison can't go, who would be the guy? Sanders or Scott?
Won't be Guss Scott. It'll either be James Sanders or Artrell Hawkins, who the Pats scraped off the bottom of the barrel last year. Shockingly to those of us who watched him in Bengal stripes, Hawkins impressed and seemed much more willing to tackle, so he probably has the inside track. Another Belichick Jedi mind trick.But I wouldn't be too excited about any of Harrison's possible replacements. It's less likely for the SS in a 3-4 front to put up stud numbers. Guys like Troy Polamalu and Rodney are the exception not the rule. Roy Williams looks to be surviving the transition as well.

Hawkins will be a borderline starter at best in most leagues. Sanders has a little more upside, but it would surprise me to see him approach Harrison's production in that defense.

So if Harrison can't go, who would be the guy?  Sanders or Scott?
Sanders has a little more upside, but it would surprise me to see him approach Harrison's production in that defense.
Which is why I drafted him last year. :) Trouble is, Harrison is like a cockroach. :rant:

I'd like to bump this for any new insight...

I have Harrison and I kept him this year, because he had the minimum salary, so I figured he would ge a great value, even if he doesn't put up his numbers of old.

Will Harrison be ready for week 1?
Based on these 2 stories (Story 1, Story 2) a week 1 return sounds pretty doubtful, IMO.A PUP or IR designation is sounding more and more likely.
Globe writer Mike Reiss all but confirms speculation that Harrison will be placed on the PUP list shortly before training camp. Since he'll be on the list before camp starts, he's eligible to come off any time (i.e. the Pats won't have to wait the minimum six weeks to activate him). He won't be able to practice in the meantime, however.Link

Based on these 2 stories (Story 1, Story 2) a week 1 return sounds pretty doubtful, IMO.A PUP or IR designation is sounding more and more likely.
Globe writer Mike Reiss all but confirms speculation that Harrison will be placed on the PUP list shortly before training camp. Since he'll be on the list before camp starts, he's eligible to come off any time (i.e. the Pats won't have to wait the minimum six weeks to activate him). He won't be able to practice in the meantime, however.Link
From KFFL
Alan Greenberg, of The Hartford Courant, reports New England Patriots SS Rodney Harrison (knee) is expected to remain on the Physically Unable to Perform list when the 2006 regular season starts.
I guess he will be out at least 6 weeks. That does include the bye week correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
From KFFL
Alan Greenberg, of The Hartford Courant, reports New England Patriots SS Rodney Harrison (knee) is expected to remain on the Physically Unable to Perform list when the 2006 regular season starts.
I guess he will be out at least 6 weeks. That does include the bye week correct?
Who is the heir apparent?I'm thinking James Sanders.

Apparently Sanders has shown much improvement in offseason workouts. Artrell Hawkins filled in surprisingly well last season and will be in the mix. The Patriots were are using Eugene Wilson at corner in camp drills, so the safety situation is pretty much a mess right now. None of these guys have near the value of Rodney Harrison in this scheme. Unless Sanders proves himself to be markedly improved on the field, I don't think any are particularly valuable.

I'm still looking for a link to confrim, but I'd guess that Sanders and Hawkins will begin camp as starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently Sanders has shown much improvement in offseason workouts. Artrell Hawkins filled in surprisingly well last season and will be in the mix. The Patriots were are using Eugene Wilson at corner in camp drills, so the safety situation is pretty much a mess right now. None of these guys have near the value of Rodney Harrison in this scheme. Unless Sanders proves himself to be markedly improved on the field, I don't think any are particularly valuable.

I'm still looking for a link to confrim, but I'd guess that Sanders and Hawkins will begin camp as starters.
Jene, can you detail what you mean by Sanders having "shown much improvement"? I'm holding onto Sanders as my 5th (maybe 4th - Dwight Smith) safety, but I love that he might become a full-time replacement for Harrison.

Jene, can you detail what you mean by Sanders having "shown much improvement"? I'm holding onto Sanders as my 5th (maybe 4th - Dwight Smith) safety, but I love that he might become a full-time replacement for Harrison.
May have been a little overzealous with the "much", but here is one beat writer's take from the offseason.Pats safety breakdown from Boston.com (27 July)

The team knows it can win with Hawkins (6 starts in 2005), although Sanders -- a 2005 fourth-round pick -- appeared much more confident in June's minicamp and could be primed to break through. That will be one of the more competitive position battles to watch, assuming Harrison is on the sidelines. Sanders adds value on special teams, so he should be safe for a roster spot, and Mitchell projects as a core special teams player who will also provide depth at safety. Jones was working in the team's goal-line defense in June's minicamp, as his 6-foot-2, 218-pound build makes him a presence in tight spaces. It's a make or break year for Guss Scott, who has battled injuries for the last two years, while Herring and Ventrone are longer shots
For now, they've moved Eugene Wilson to corner in camp. Hawkins and Sanders are getting first team reps.

is Harrison done? he's available in my league
No.But he may be left on the PUP list to begin the regular season, which means he'll be out until Week 7 at the earliest. And, miracles of modern medicine aside, that type of knee injury is pretty significant for an player Harrison's age. He could return to his prior stud production but it's not a sure thing that he'll ever be much above replacement level again.

Patriots | Harrison taking things easy

Published Fri Aug 11 3:41:00 p.m. ET 2006

(KFFL) Michael Felger, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots SS Rodney Harrison (knee) has shied away from contact in recent workouts and appeared conscious of traffic on the ground.

Patriots | Harrison taking things easy Published Fri Aug 11 3:41:00 p.m. ET 2006 (KFFL) Michael Felger, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots SS Rodney Harrison (knee) has shied away from contact in recent workouts and appeared conscious of traffic on the ground.
Too early to know if this means anything.

Patriots | Harrison taking things easy Published Fri Aug 11 3:41:00 p.m. ET 2006 (KFFL) Michael Felger, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots SS Rodney Harrison (knee) has shied away from contact in recent workouts and appeared conscious of traffic on the ground.
I agree, but wanted to throw it out there in case it is a precursor of future events

I agree, but wanted to throw it out there in case it is a precursor of future events

So did James Sanders really play in the preseason opener? The gamebook shows him in the starting lineup, but doesn't even list him in the defensive stats section. :confused: :unsure:

So did James Sanders really play in the preseason opener? The gamebook shows him in the starting lineup, but doesn't even list him in the defensive stats section. :confused: :unsure:
Didn't see the game, but it wouldn't be shocking if he only played briefly. Of course, he wasn't very visible even when he played full time, so...
Any news on Harrison's progress? I have him in a dynasty league but could really use the roster space.
I wouldn't cut him. He's not done much in camp, but he's participating in some drills which is encouraging. And if the Pats move to a 4-3 defense with just Barry Gardner or Monty Beisel in front of him, Harrison could have a chance to put up 50 tackles a game on one leg.

I wouldn't cut him. He's not done much in camp, but he's participating in some drills which is encouraging. And if the Pats move to a 4-3 defense with just Barry Gardner or Monty Beisel in front of him, Harrison could have a chance to put up 50 tackles a game on one leg.
50 tackles a game :jawdrop: That's like a billon points :thumbup:

nortobc said:
Jene Bramel said:
50 tackles a game :jawdrop: That's like a billon points :thumbup:
Especially if you're in a bonus league that rewards more than 40 tackles. :thumbup:

Didn't see the game, but it wouldn't be shocking if he only played briefly. Of course, he wasn't very visible even when he played full time, so...
Sanders is now listed as the backup FS, behind Eugene Wilson. :yucky:
Sanders is the backup SS. Artrell Hawkins, Tebucky Jones, or Randall Gay (in order of likelihood) would likely be Wilson's backup - and any of them could see significant playing time back there, because Wilson has been working at CB quite a bit in training camp and preseason. I believe the most likely scenario at this point would be a base defense of Asante Samuel and Ellis Hobbs at CB, with Wilson and Harrison at safety. Then I think we'll be seeing a lot of Wilson at CB in nickel packages with either Hawkins, Tebucky, or Gay taking his spot at FS.

Users who are viewing this thread