What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ron Jaworski 'worried' about Vernon Davis (1 Viewer)

azcards33

Footballguy
Jaworski said that Vernon Davis is not fast as his 40 time indicates. He said that Davis looks like he runs a 4.7 on the field and that he is a awful blocker.I am sick and tired of everyone bashing TightEnds for being terrible blockers. we didn't draft vernon davis to block, we drafted him to give us alot of yards and touchdowns. Like Nolan said, "not only did we feel like we drafted the best TE in the draft, we felt like we drafted the best WR." Can any of you name at least 1 pass catching TE's that are good blockers??

Jaworski said that Vernon Davis is not fast as his 40 time indicates. He said that Davis looks like he runs a 4.7 on the field and that he is a awful blocker.I am sick and tired of everyone bashing TightEnds for being terrible blockers. we didn't draft vernon davis to block, we drafted him to give us alot of yards and touchdowns. Like Nolan said, "not only did we feel like we drafted the best TE in the draft, we felt like we drafted the best WR." Can any of you name at least 1 pass catching TE's that are good blockers??
Chris Cooley has really improved his blocking this year. I haven't watched too many Saints games this year, but thought Shockey was a pretty decent blocker. Cowboy fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but in the games against the Redskins I always thought Witten did a pretty good job of blocking as well.

I heard more than a few times - Nolan state that Davis was a GREAT blocker and he stays in to block because he is so effective. I am worried about Jaws -

OK, so Vernon was drafted to get yards and TD's. Then why is he averaging 2 catches for 25 yards with no TD's this season? Either he is one helluva blocker, or he is simply a bust. Nolan's statement seems like an oxymoron.

Vernon can block fairly well. But it's just now that Jaws is beginning to worry about Vernon? Has he not paid any attention to this team since they drafted the guy?

CLICK-CLACK!

OK, so Vernon was drafted to get yards and TD's. Then why is he averaging 2 catches for 25 yards with no TD's this season? Either he is one helluva blocker, or he is simply a bust. Nolan's statement seems like an oxymoron.
A) They're not utilizing him as they could be.B) He's soft. He pulls up when going across the middle and he simply doesn't seem to have the mindset or focus to be a top receiving target.It sucks being a Niners fan. Thankfully we have Oakland across the bay...

Add Heath Miller to the list of good blocking/pass catching TEs

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason Witten

It didn't look like 4.7 on the field when he was chasing down Josh Wilson.

It didn't look like 4.7 on the field when he was chasing down Josh Wilson.
I was thinking the same exact thing ... If its the play Iam thinking about Davis damn near ran down a player last week from he far side of the field but came up just short.... he may not have freaky game speed like he had at the combine ,but no way does the guy run only a 4.7 .... not when he wants to anyway :thumbup: unfortunately all that doesnt matter in terms of fantasy football .... we want receptions and touchdowns and if we dont get them we are mad about it. I know the guy was drafted early but the nfl rosters are littered with high draft picks that dont turn out to be superstars. the league has alot of te's that are great at what they do VD Is a great blocker ....and the sooner we as FF players get that and stop freting over the fact that he is not used in the passing game because he is just not good at it the smarter we will be for it. over the years the league has produced any many outstanding players who werent worth a squat fantasy wise ( troy aikman is the first one who comes to mind)

Jaworski said that Vernon Davis is not fast as his 40 time indicates. He said that Davis looks like he runs a 4.7 on the field and that he is a awful blocker.
I am sick and tired of everyone bashing TightEnds for being terrible blockers. we didn't draft vernon davis to block, we drafted him to give us alot of yards and touchdowns. Like Nolan said, "not only did we feel like we drafted the best TE in the draft, we felt like we drafted the best WR." Can any of you name at least 1 pass catching TE's that are good blockers??
Well, hes failed at that, regardless of whether hes a good blocker. What a waste of physical talent.

A) They're not utilizing him as they could be.B) He's soft. He pulls up when going across the middle and he simply doesn't seem to have the mindset or focus to be a top receiving target.It sucks being a Niners fan. Thankfully we have Oakland across the bay...
Not trying to hijack here, but how do you feel about Iron Mike?I'm a Bear fan btw :lmao:

Maybe Vernon is dogging it recently and that's what Jaws is seeing? He certainly had the reputation of being a great blocker as recently as a few games ago. I don't get to break down the SF film though, just going off of what coaches and people around that team say.

Could be the same thing with the game speed b/c we know he can run faster than 4.7 when he's giving a full effort.

RudeDog said:
Not trying to hijack here, but how do you feel about Iron Mike?I'm a Bear fan btw :goodposting:
A Bears fan would know it is Samurai Mike.

I prefer my fantasy TE to NOT be able to block. That way, when he's in the game I know he's going to catch passes, not be brought back to block because the OL sucks. I feel better about it when there are two TEs in the game, one to block, and my guy to catch passes.

Agreed, but it could also be the quarterback as well not able to get him the ball. I am sure that doesn't help having Alex Smith, O'Sullivan and Hill throwing the ball.

RudeDog said:
Not trying to hijack here, but how do you feel about Iron Mike?I'm a Bear fan btw :rolleyes:
A Bears fan would know it is Samurai Mike.
LOL - Yes I would.... must have been watching Iron Mike on ESPN and had a freudian slip.Sorry :thumbup:

RudeDog said:
Not trying to hijack here, but how do you feel about Iron Mike?I'm a Bear fan btw :unsure:
I think it's too soon to know one way or the other. But after him calling out Vernon I think the early results are promising. As long as he doesn't pull that stuff each and every week. But the Yorks are the real problem.

Users who are viewing this thread