What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rooney's stupidity is Luck's gain (1 Viewer)

How Is Rooney stupid?
For wanting to take a good passing team and force them to run it like it was 1976 with Franco or like it's Jerome Bettis in his prime. The Steelers are made differently now. You adjust your scheme to meet the talent of your team, not force your talent to fit a scheme. I see no reason why the Steelers can't continue being a good passing team and make adjustments with the OL as far as blocking goes. Frankly, they don't have the personnel to be a good running team right now. They fired Arians because he didn't want to ground and pound. Given the current Steeler team, that makes Rooney stupid. His dad was successful because he surrounded himself with great football people and stayed out of their business. Jr needs to take a lesson from daddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
How Is Rooney stupid?
For wanting to take a good passing team and force them to run it like it was 1976 with Franco or like it's Jerome Bettis in his prime. The Steelers are made differently now. You adjust your scheme to meet the talent of your team, not force your talent to fit a scheme. I see no reason why the Steelers can't continue being a good passing team and make adjustments with the OL as far as blocking goes. Frankly, they don't have the personnel to be a good running team right now. They fired Arians because he didn't want to ground and pound. Given the current Steeler team, that makes Rooney stupid. His dad was successful because he surrounded himself with great football people and stayed out of their business. Jr needs to take a lesson from daddy.
Not to mention the passing-friendly rules of today.

How Is Rooney stupid?
Where did you get that Rooney wants to run the ball more? Or even that Tomlin wasn't on board with the Arians non-tender?Lots of assumptions going on based on very little information.The new OC's resume will provide a lot of insight into which direction the O is going, but I think they've made it very clear that they understand this is now a passing league. The likely in house candidate installed a spread offense at Memphis. Their only rumored external candidate oversaw Peyton and the Colts O.They didn't fire Arians because he wanted to ground and pound, they fired Arians because his O consistently failed to score TD's.

How Is Rooney stupid?
Where did you get that Rooney wants to run the ball more?
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/01/art-rooney-asserts-authority/Getting back to roots pretty much means run the ball more. Anyone that tries to say otherwise is fooling themselves.

How Is Rooney stupid?
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/01/art-rooney-asserts-authority/Getting back to roots pretty much means run the ball more. Anyone that tries to say otherwise is fooling themselves.
That's 100% an opinion piece.The term attributed to Rooney was "blue collar football".Stressing fundamentals. Getting away from the sandlot/homerun mentality. Cutting ties with an OC that emphasizes those very qualities.Blue collar does not mean run more.I'm not asserting it means pass more either. I am asserting it means pass smarter and run smarter. Not necessarily more or less of either.

Treat88 is dead-on in all points.

Steelers could certainly move the ball between the 20's but when it came to entering the red zone, the past few years we consistently falter and get forced to punt or take a long fg.

It was time for a change for the Steelers not necessarily in terms of the philosophy of a passing offense, but rather stressing red zone efficiency

I'm struggling with any thread that calls Rooney "stupid." He's pretty much the textbook for how to be a successful, consistent NFL owner.

Arians is neither the devil or a saint. He is a competent OC but suspect play caller. Much of the Steelers success was due to Ben's ability to extend plays once they broke down which is not really a testament to great offensive design.

Rooney never said that he wanted to return to three yards and a cloud of dust but his franchise quarterback has taken more sacks than any other nfl quarterback during Arians tenure and the team has had issues scoring in the red zone. They also have had games where they inexplicably gave up on the running game even though it as working and the conditions were not conducive to throwing the ball.

These have been ongoing issues that were not being addressed by Arians and it was obvious they weren't going to change under his direction so Rooney felt he had to make a change. When the OC and owner don't agree then it is only a matter of time until he gets sacked. Arians' time had come.

I think the problem is Ben is being paid 100 million and he's getting killed. A lot of it is his fault since he insists on holding onto the ball for such a longtime but something has to change or else isn't going to last.

The Colts will be alright with a new staff. There is a fair amount of talent on that team, especially in the skill positions. Pagano will beef up the D, and Butler will be a big help.

As for the Steelers, it is too early to express concern, but I am going to. Is Art II anticpating to be wowed by some OC candidate who can fix the Pgh offense according to Rooney specifications that also satisfy fan expectations? If the run-pass balance isn't forthcoming and successful, the criticism will be swift and deep. If they stay in-house with a candidate, how does that alter, in any discernible way, the Steeler mind-set with Ben? Isn't Roethlisberger going to do whatever he wants to do anyway?

It seems to me that the course of action would necessarily be to bring in a well-respected, proven, and no-nonsense OC. Those are scarce these days.

Rooney has to have a few guys in mind as he does not seem like the type of person to make bold moves without thinking it through first.

Big Ben liked Arians but I guess most QB's will like their OC's that allow them the luxury of passing lots and giving them some freedom.

I don't think a new coordiantor will be the outright answer to Ben taking less sacks. Part of that problem will be solved with Ben changing his mind set (which I don't know if he has or will just yet) from trying to extend the play no matter what the consequence of that is.

Arians seems more than competent as an OC so I think this is a move that may be positive for both franchises. Indy gets an OC that has had some success and Pitt gets to find a guy to try and fix some of their problems.

Arians is neither the devil or a saint. He is a competent OC but suspect play caller. Much of the Steelers success was due to Ben's ability to extend plays once they broke down which is not really a testament to great offensive design.
:goodposting: Well stated.Both Rooney and Tomlin are well aware that Roethlisberger is the straw that stirs the drink. But as Ben moves into his 30's the offense needs to rely more on precision and less on Ben's ability to freelance.

How Is Rooney stupid?
The Steelers were 19th in the league in both passing and rushing attempts this year, which looks a lot more like a balanced attack than "ground and pound."

The Colts will be alright with a new staff. There is a fair amount of talent on that team, especially in the skill positions. Pagano will beef up the D, and Butler will be a big help.

As for the Steelers, it is too early to express concern, but I am going to. Is Art II anticpating to be wowed by some OC candidate who can fix the Pgh offense according to Rooney specifications that also satisfy fan expectations? If the run-pass balance isn't forthcoming and successful, the criticism will be swift and deep. If they stay in-house with a candidate, how does that alter, in any discernible way, the Steeler mind-set with Ben? Isn't Roethlisberger going to do whatever he wants to do anyway?

It seems to me that the course of action would necessarily be to bring in a well-respected, proven, and no-nonsense OC. Those are scarce these days.
Butler hasnt accepted the job yet.

@gerrydulac: LB Coach Keith Butler staying with Steelers and not going to Indy to be defensive coordinator.

@gerrydulac: Butler met today with team prez Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin and decided against going for interview.

@gerrydulac: LB Coach Keith Butler staying with Steelers and not going to Indy to be defensive coordinator.@gerrydulac: Butler met today with team prez Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin and decided against going for interview.
You think they promised him the gig once the old man retires? Watch them back out of that promise ;)

Treat is just killing in here.

You think they promised him the gig once the old man retires? Watch them back out of that promise ;)
They promised it to him "once the old man retires", like, four years ago. Sounded like he maybe wanted it in writing(which had never been done, according to Butler) based on what was being reported a couple days back. Perhaps the meetings with Tomlin/Art II got him something he felt was a bit more concrete than a handshake? Glad he's staying. That would have been a far, far, far bigger loss than Bruce Arians.

@gerrydulac: LB Coach Keith Butler staying with Steelers and not going to Indy to be defensive coordinator.@gerrydulac: Butler met today with team prez Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin and decided against going for interview.
link? Other source?
Here it is from the Post-Gazette(whom Dulac works for, BTW. So if he's tweeting it, it's been verified I'm sure):http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12030/1207042-100.stm

As 5-ish said, Butler was promised The DC job once LeBeau retires years ago. My guess is he is now getting paid like one.

JasonLaCanfora: Mike Tomlin has been making calls gathering info on Todd Haley. Could emerge as OC candidate with Steelers.

HAHAHA!

You guys can have him!

All day, every day and twice on Sundays.
I guess we can have Butler too.
@gerrydulac: LB Coach Keith Butler staying with Steelers and not going to Indy to be defensive coordinator.

@gerrydulac: Butler met today with team prez Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin and decided against going for interview.
link? Other source?
@JasonLaCanfora Keith Butler is staying with the Steelers. Agreed to new deal. Won't interview with Colts on Tues
:pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :towelwave:

Art Rooney II asked Keith Butler if he wanted to go to a team that hosts Super Bowls or stay with one that wins them.
:lmao:
:shrug:was he lying?
No. I was enjoying the jab at the Colts.
: :hifive:
He's 55 isn't he? I want someone younger anyway. I initially didn't know he was that old. He could fall over from a heart attack any time.

Art Rooney II asked Keith Butler if he wanted to go to a team that hosts Super Bowls or stay with one that wins them.
He's 55 isn't he? I want someone younger anyway. I initially didn't know he was that old. He could fall over from a heart attack any time.
Wow.

What do people think with Haley getting some mentions of possibly being their new OC?
I think it continues to reinforce the notion that this team is not returning to 3 yards and a cloud of dust football any time soon.Who knows if Haley is the guy or not, but from the known possibilities of Caldwell, Van Pelt, Scherer, Fitchner, and Haley they are clearly leaning towards a QB-centric offense.

I think it continues to reinforce the notion that this team is not returning to 3 yards and a cloud of dust football any time soon.Who knows if he is the guy or not, but from the known possibilities of Caldwell, Van Pelt, Scherer, Fitchner, and Haley they are clearly leaning towards a QB-centric offense.
Totally agree. Art II may be saying he "wants more balance", but I think the gentlemen they're being linked to for OCs so far clearly show he isn't, in any way, wanting to exclusively "return to 1976" or "to Jerome Bettis in his prime", or however whathisface put it up top.
Wow.
Yeah, he just keeps hitting them out of the park in here, doesn't he?Technically, anyone could have a brain hemorrhage the next time they sneeze. Maybe the Colts are better off just not hiring a DC at all, you know, just to be safe.

I think it continues to reinforce the notion that this team is not returning to 3 yards and a cloud of dust football any time soon.

Who knows if he is the guy or not, but from the known possibilities of Caldwell, Van Pelt, Scherer, Fitchner, and Haley they are clearly leaning towards a QB-centric offense.
Totally agree. Art II may be saying he "wants more balance", but I think the gentlemen they're being linked to for OCs so far clearly show he isn't, in any way, wanting to exclusively "return to 1976" or "to Jerome Bettis in his prime", or however whathisface put it up top.
Wow.
Yeah, he just keeps hitting them out of the park in here, doesn't he?

Technically, anyone could have a brain hemorrhage the next time they sneeze. Maybe the Colts are better off just not hiring a DC at all, you know, just to be safe.
It could be an improvement over last year

With the Steelers, he's good for another 20 years--unless he sucks bad enough that he gets retired to the Colts.

With the Steelers, he's good for another 20 years--unless he sucks bad enough that he gets retired to the Colts.
The Colts will have already won a couple more Super Bowls and will have no use for him.

I fear that, with the many holes the team must fill and the enormous pressure a new OC must confront (as evidenced by the Arians critics in this thread), viable candidates may be reluctant to take on the challenge. Anyone with the kind of credibility needed to challenge this offense under Ben may be hard to locate and secure. O'Brien of the Pats could possibly have been that guy, but I hear he took another job in PA.

So what do you do? Take a chance on an outsider while trying to beef up the run and the O-line? Hard to see that all coming together in one season. And we ain't the patient types, friends. Ding dong, your witch is dead. Arians is history. But what is your alternative?
:confused: How does this offense have "many holes" to fill? In fact, all they need is 1-2 OLmen (assuming health from the starters and progression for Gilbert). After that, there are no holes whatsoever as far as starters are concerned.

I also dont think most offensive minds would fear becoming this team's OC or consider it a challenge. I think most would be sold on "Steelers" and "Roethlisberger"
they seem pretty thin at RB now. Mendenhall will most likey go on the PUP list and miss the first part of the season and Redman is serviceable, but not someone that I call a top RB. Dwyer is a plodder that has his own issues.
Well, I think my point was made with the remark "all they need is 1-2 OL-men" and assuming the health of their starters or progression from anyone is a big "if." I think Pouncey is very good, but he has seemingly missed more post-season games in his short career than Dermontti Dawson missed in his full tenure. Kemoeatu is the highest paid lineman and he was demoted to second-string in November. The guy regressed big time, and he is taking up valuable $ under the salary cap.The statements made about the RBs are on target. Redman is decent, but where is any real diversity of depth such as a pass receiver out of the backfield? Just how old or elusive is Mewelde Moore these days anyway? We love Heath Miller, but he'll turn 30 this year and his upside has already been tapped. Spaeth stunk and was rightfully shipped out but David Johnson has only 18 catches in 3 seasons and is essentially a blocker as Miller's back-up.

Wallace, Sanders, and Brown are super-dangerous. But if Rooney's goal is to keep Ben upright, it will be more of a balanced offense than a pass-first approach. Balance is great if you have a top RB. Yet, as was cited, Mendenhall may not be ready, nor is he necessarily viewed as a top-tier RB.

With regard to reluctance by candidates to take the OC position, the hornets' nest stinging the daylights out of Arians is essentially proof of how much pressure is involved. The new guy will have no honeymoon period. And make no mistake, except for the wideouts, this is a banged up bunch.
Talk about looking at the glass half empty.Again, needing 1-2 OL <> many holes. At least 75% of the league has more holes than that on offense, and half of those are at QB.

I dont see how backup RB is a "hole" either. Regardless, Baron Batch will be back, and they will almost certainly acquire another RB whether that be in FA or the draft. Mendenhall might not be elite, but with a new OC and an improved OL he is more than adequate (see 2010 season). I feel fine with Redman being the starter while he's out.

How Is Rooney stupid?
I find it funny how youre using Rooney's statements as to why he's stupid and will go back to ground and pound, when Rooney also said your new OC retired a week ago.

garbage post
See, it's comments like this that just confuse me. I assume gb Hoss, who's been around here a long time, started this thread just to swap playful insults with the Stillers guys. But he's just not funny. And if he's serious, then he's no better than those guys you see posting at the end of ESPN stories or some similar place. So what are you really doing, Hoss?

garbage post
See, it's comments like this that just confuse me. I assume gb Hoss, who's been around here a long time, started this thread just to swap playful insults with the Stillers guys. But he's just not funny. And if he's serious, then he's no better than those guys you see posting at the end of ESPN stories or some similar place. So what are you really doing, Hoss?
Actually, the Steeler guys are so caught up in the Butler talk, when the main subject of this thread was Arians and Rooney firing him because he wants to run the ball more. So when someone posts like the one I posted "garbage post" to, well, it really was. I can see the humor attempt however.

garbage post
Actually, the Steeler guys are so caught up in the Butler talk, when the main subject of this thread was Arians and Rooney firing him because he wants to run the ball more. So when someone posts like the one I posted "garbage post" to, well, it really was. I can see the humor attempt however.
Rooney saying he wants to run the ball more is as much an excuse to get rid of Arians as saying Arians retired was.

garbage post
Rooney saying he wants to run the ball more is as much an excuse to get rid of Arians as saying Arians retired was.
ok

garbage post
ok
garbage post

garbage post
ok
garbage post

Users who are viewing this thread