What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ROS Kicker Recommendation (1 Viewer)

Steeler

Footballguy
I know, I know, kickers are a dime-a-dozen. However, I'm looking for any advantage I can get while trying to win my league. The Custom SOS for Kickers shows that DET has the 3rd easiest schedule for kickers for the ROS so I'm recommending D. Akers as someone to consider. The DET schedule looks really good to me, 3 road games against teams with poor defenses, and 4 home games in the dome including 2 in the FF playoffs.

10: @CHI

11: @PIT

12: TB

13: GB

14: @PHI

15: BAL

16: NYG

I agree with Akers, but for a slightly different reason. One of the biggest factors when choosing a "playoff kicker" for FF, imho, is where does he play when I need him? I don't want someone who is playing in New England, Cleveland or Chicago in week 15 or 16 - weather can be a HUGE factor. The fact that Akers is kicking indoors in week 15 & 16 and the Lions have a decent offense that scores points (keeping them close enough to be kicking field goals and extra points) is why. So the "against poor defenses" thing, I don't really put much stock in. But the "in a dome" thing? Most definitely.

I agree with Akers, but for a slightly different reason. One of the biggest factors when choosing a "playoff kicker" for FF, imho, is where does he play when I need him? I don't want someone who is playing in New England, Cleveland or Chicago in week 15 or 16 - weather can be a HUGE factor. The fact that Akers is kicking indoors in week 15 & 16 and the Lions have a decent offense that scores points (keeping them close enough to be kicking field goals and extra points) is why. So the "against poor defenses" thing, I don't really put much stock in. But the "in a dome" thing? Most definitely.
Are you saying Akers > Crosby?

Akers still out there on my ww

Crosby has been great...but I am concerned how well he will do with Rodgers out. The Packers could settle for more FGs...but they could also not get into FG range nearly as much.

My take or question on Crosby....is what happens with the offense without Aaron Rodgers for several weeks or more? Detroit seems to get in many shoot outs with opponents which creates many opp's for Akers. Crosby is tied on top of my league for scoring average per week. Part of his draw was that his bye week was over in week 5. But with wintery weather and a less-than-normal offensive output...I might say yes to this.

At times I do wonder whether the weather effects the kickers as much as it does the offensive scheme's. Because if offense's stall in the red zones...it bodes well for kicker opportunities. I believe Prater is home in Denver for FF playoff weeks 14 & 15....would the potential for inclimate weather affect your decision on keeping Prater in the lineup or not? My guess would be probably not.

Last edited by a moderator:
While no one is perfect, your best bet is to simply follow Herman's rankings.
Randy Bullock :yes:
As I said, nobody's perfect. I know you're new around here, but Herman's been one of the most successful prognosticators around here for a long time. Kicking is such a volatile position. As an example, look at Blair Walsh from last year - good rookie kicker entering a solid kicking environment. And Walsh was very successful. Fast forward to this year, and it's a similar outlook for Bullock. It obviously didn't work out.

But to discount his rankings because of Bullock is short-sighted.

Crosby has been great...but I am concerned how well he will do with Rodgers out. The Packers could settle for more FGs...but they could also not get into FG range nearly as much.
Especially if they are running the ball a lot (think: "shortening games" which leads to fewer offensive possessions). But yes, at this point I would prefer Akers with Detroit's offense and playing in a dome vs. Crosby with a Seneca Wallace led offensive attack in GB.

Is there any concern that Akers has put up four back-to-back single digit games?

I currently have Hartley and I'm not feeling great about him either. I wish Hanson was still around.

Same here. I have Crosby and want to go ahead and make a switch for a kicker that i'll be using the rest of the way. Not sure how I feel about Crosby with no Rodgers.

Akers is still out there

Arod will be back for the fantasy playoffs. I have crosby in one league and am holding. He's gonna get chances with the offense stalling

While no one is perfect, your best bet is to simply follow Herman's rankings.
Does he have a ROS schedule for kickers? If so, I couldn't find it.
Good point. Not that I know of, just the weekly rankings as far as a I know. I assumed the 'Top 200 Forward' for kickers was Herman, but after looking at it, believe that's all Henry's deal.

I say this with bias, as I wasted the first half of the season with him doing nothing in my lineup weekly, but I'm cautiously optimistic about Dawson. That offense is clicking, and they will be crossing the 40 at least 6 times/game the rest of the way. Hopefully their opponents will start making a few stops once they get there.

That said, if he flames out this week, I may be cutting bait and dumping him to chase Nick Folk's points. :D

I kind of like Nick Novak's run in apart from week 12 @ KC. All warm weather or high altitude/high scoring:

Week 10: home vs DEN

Week 11: @ MIA

Week 12: @ KC

Week 13: home vs CIN

Week 14: home vs NYG

Week 15: @ DEN

Week 16: home vs OAK

Just speaking from my gut here, but if Josh Brown (NYG) kicker is available, I'd grab him. Giants have been able to move the ball better lately and should only approve with Andre Brown back. Giants are notorious for getting to the redzone and not capitalizing (they scored 15 points, all field goals, last game). It's the conservative/predictable play calling that they've been struggling with for years. Drive down the field until your in the redzone then just run it up the gut 3 times and kick a field goal.

I kind of like Nick Novak's run in apart from week 12 @ KC. All warm weather or high altitude/high scoring:

Week 10: home vs DEN

Week 11: @ MIA

Week 12: @ KC

Week 13: home vs CIN

Week 14: home vs NYG

Week 15: @ DEN

Week 16: home vs OAK
This.

Just picked up Novak in 2 leagues. Great play this week, since they will need to score to keep up with DEN. Great chance at 2 FG and 4 XP.

I wouldn't worry about the KC game - Novak could have a lot of FG chances in that game.

I say this with bias, as I wasted the first half of the season with him doing nothing in my lineup weekly, but I'm cautiously optimistic about Dawson. That offense is clicking, and they will be crossing the 40 at least 6 times/game the rest of the way. Hopefully their opponents will start making a few stops once they get there.

That said, if he flames out this week, I may be cutting bait and dumping him to chase Nick Folk's points. :D
My recommendation. Geno is good enough to get them in scoring position, but they are settling for a lot of FG's. My money is on Folk being top kicker ROS. After this week of course

Eh...just play whatever kicker is reliable, plays on a team that moves the ball well be the 20s and generally has a poor redone offense. You'll do fine with that. Other than those guidelines flip a coin on kickers IMO

Somebody dropped Mason Crosby. I put in a bid for him and plan to ride that mother####er to the promised land.

Somebody dropped Mason Crosby. I put in a bid for him and plan to ride that mother####er to the promised land.
In my league...I was that somebody. Prater was available due to the Denver bye week previous...so I dropped Crosby for Prater purely on the mindset that Green Bay's offense won't be as it was with Rodgers at QB. In my league scoring, they were both tied at the top of the kickers at 10.3 avg points per week. Top to bottom starter in kickers, was exactly a 2 point spread. So even though I was being nit-picky about playing the futures card with the kickers...I do not believe I will win or lose my league title based on my kicker...provided he is alive and kicking so-to-speak. If Akers was available in my league (local Lions fans prevents headliner Lions from being available on the wire)...I might have done as the OP was suggesting and dropped Crosby for Akers. But the point differential overall will most likely be negligible at best.

My recommendation. Geno is good enough to get them in scoring position, but they are settling for a lot of FG's. My money is on Folk being top kicker ROS. After this week of course
Folk is #2 kicker in our league.. Don't see any reason for this to change. Agree with the above posting. Geno will keep them close and their schedule is decent

Someone dropped him in our league and I scooped him up. I plan to ride him ROS after this week..

Thoughts on Hartley?

All warm weather during playoffs

Vs CAR

vs Somebody at home

@CAR
Does he have the 2nd most missed FGs in the league besides Bullock? Pretty inconsistent this year; IIRC over half the league has 2 or less misses, he has like 5.

While he'll kick a ton of XPs, but the Saints don't strike me as a team that struggles in the RZ.

MrJimiT said:
McGarnicle said:
In my league...I was that somebody. Prater was available due to the Denver bye week previous...so I dropped Crosby for Prater purely on the mindset that Green Bay's offense won't be as it was with Rodgers at QB. In my league scoring, they were both tied at the top of the kickers at 10.3 avg points per week. Top to bottom starter in kickers, was exactly a 2 point spread. So even though I was being nit-picky about playing the futures card with the kickers...I do not believe I will win or lose my league title based on my kicker...provided he is alive and kicking so-to-speak. If Akers was available in my league (local Lions fans prevents headliner Lions from being available on the wire)...I might have done as the OP was suggesting and dropped Crosby for Akers. But the point differential overall will most likely be negligible at best.
I did the exact same thing....been riding a hot Crosby for most of the season, but with Prater being available due to bye and the Rodgers injury I pulled the trigger.

Denver lives in the redzone which gives Prater tons of chances, and with as much as they score all he needs is 1 FG attempt to be solid. He may not give you a 4 FG game, but he also won't bomb with a "0" or a "1" in your playoff game.

My roster is pretty much set for the playoffs

Thoughts on Folk the ROS? Somebody dropped him due to the bye week

I'm trying to sign up for Folk myself. My curse with kickers continues (Josh Brown last week -- had 8 FGs in his last two games, and then gets 1 FG and a couple XPs against Oakland).

Geno seems to keep the team moving, as does the running game. The D keeps games close, allowing the team to be pretty conservative on offense, so they're willing to take the points constantly.

Post-bye, Folk is still tied for the lead league in FGA and hasn't missed a kick this year. He's bagged a 50+ yarder this year(which is nice but certainly not the league lead by far) but is 12-12 from 40+ yards (including the 50+yarder). Those 40+ yard kicks earn extra points in my league, especially the 50+ yarders.

I'm putting in waiver claims and hoping my nightmare at K is over.

Well how are you Crosby owners feeling with the winter months clising in and Tolzien in for Favre?

I have had Crosby in every league and was loving it but two missed FGs and the reduced offense are scary. On the other hand he did have two long FG attempts plus the one he made and he still ended up with a decent day. GB's schedule remains favorable too and Rodgers will be coming back.

I'm trying to sign up for Folk myself. My curse with kickers continues (Josh Brown last week -- had 8 FGs in his last two games, and then gets 1 FG and a couple XPs against Oakland).

Geno seems to keep the team moving, as does the running game. The D keeps games close, allowing the team to be pretty conservative on offense, so they're willing to take the points constantly.

Post-bye, Folk is still tied for the lead league in FGA and hasn't missed a kick this year. He's bagged a 50+ yarder this year(which is nice but certainly not the league lead by far) but is 12-12 from 40+ yards (including the 50+yarder). Those 40+ yard kicks earn extra points in my league, especially the 50+ yarders.

I'm putting in waiver claims and hoping my nightmare at K is over.
Which winter condition is worse? NY or GB? thinking about dropping Crosby for Folk

Well how are you Crosby owners feeling with the winter months clising in and Tolzien in for Favre?

I have had Crosby in every league and was loving it but two missed FGs and the reduced offense are scary. On the other hand he did have two long FG attempts plus the one he made and he still ended up with a decent day. GB's schedule remains favorable too and Rodgers will be coming back.
Wait. Favre is hurt??? There goes my season.

Wait. Favre is hurt??? There goes my season.
shark move to get favre now for dynasty leagues.. your missing the boat if you dont get him

I am at the point of dropping Crosby. Was willing to stick by him with the 2nd string QB in, but I think the latest turn of events is enough to cut him loose.

Folk, Succup, Dawson all available and I have no idea which one to pick.

I am at the point of dropping Crosby. Was willing to stick by him with the 2nd string QB in, but I think the latest turn of events is enough to cut him loose.

Just looked at Dawson's schedule...2 home (warm weather) and 1 away at TB during playoffs

But isn't that offense sucking pretty bad right now?

I have all 3 available in my league as well....Figuring out who to drop Crosby for?

Dawson:

vs SEA

@TB

vsIND

Succop:

@WAS

@OAK

vsIND

Folk:

vsOAK

@CAR

vsCLE

Just looked at Dawson's schedule...2 home (warm weather) and 1 away at TB during playoffs

But isn't that offense sucking pretty bad right now?

I have all 3 available in my league as well....Figuring out who to drop Crosby for?

Dawson:

vs SEA

@TB

vsIND

Succop:

@WAS

@OAK

vsIND

Folk:

vsOAK

@CAR

vsCLE
give me succop out of that bunch.. in my opinion,

3 match ups were they will be able to score and move the ball.. obviously this far out its tough to tell because we dont know the weather but oak should be okay weather wise and colts indoors

FYI had good game and missed two fgs

I may keep

FYI had good game and missed two fgsI may keep
Yeah, I guess the misses meant that he WAS getting the chances, but are the misses themselves something to be concerned about ?For this week, I'm quite liking Dawson ....

- plays on a good team that can get upfield but also can stutter at points as well

- team coming off of loss and will be motivated

- playing in a Dome

- potential exists for game to turn into shootout if NO get up quickly

Users who are viewing this thread