What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roughing The Passer Penalties (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
What irks me about sacking the QB is calling penalties for a legal hard tackle with full weight of the defensive player on the sissies. I know it's the intention of the league to protect these girls, but penalizing a player for making a legal sack without hitting them in the head is ridiculous. Weight of the player on the QB should not be illegal.

There is a difference between trying to land on a player in an effort to injure him and landing on a player as the natural process of tackling him. I applaud the sentiment behind protecting NFL QBs, but it has definitely gone too far. Protect the player from unnecessary roughness, but not to the point of extreme; also protect the game and the effort of those playing the game.

There is a difference between trying to land on a player in an effort to injure him and landing on a player as the natural process of tackling him. I applaud the sentiment behind protecting NFL QBs, but it has definitely gone too far. Protect the player from unnecessary roughness, but not to the point of extreme; also protect the game and the effort of those playing the game.
The Tony Siragusa cheap shot, arms out like an airplane riding Gannon to the ground (and hurting Gannon’s shoulder) is the poster child for these rules changes.

I agree with this take, and it has really made playing the QB position safer in today's game. That said the issue comes when the starter gets hurt. The quality of the product with most 2nd string QBs is not a product I want to watch. Then if the 2nd stringer gets hurt (think 9ers), the product of the field becomes so bad that I would rather watch a local high school game.

I do not know the solution.

I was waiting for this comment. I almost made it myself. I thought there were better hills to die on. ;)
And these hills!! Where do they get off not being mountains? Maybe they should lay off the avocado toast, turn off the SnapGram, pull themselves up by their bootstraps, they would accomplish something!!

(opens can of stewed tomatoes)

I was waiting for this comment. I almost made it myself. I thought there were better hills to die on. ;)
And these hills!! Where do they get off not being mountains? Maybe they should lay off the avocado toast, turn off the SnapGram, pull themselves up by their bootstraps, they would accomplish something!!

(opens can of stewed tomatoes)
If you are going somewhere specifically to die, you really don’t wanna put that much effort into it. I’ll walk up a hill to die… I ain’t climbing no mountain to die. If I’m gonna climb a mountain, I’m gonna come back down and brag about my achievement. Gives me lots more reason to live. It makes perfect sense if you think about it.

Unfortunately, greed strikes again.

As much as I love Pro Football, nothing will fix the underlying problem: that there are a finite number of NFL-caliber starting QB's, and in a 32-Team League, there are simply not enough to go around. Whoever or whatever you personally believe is responsible for creating such things just doesn't make enough to supply the demand. Unless we start cloning people, it's probably never going to happen.

If there was ever sports League that could benefit from a contraction, it's the NFL, IMHO. Probably by 25%, down to 24 Teams. The quality of the on-field product, while it doesn't suck, just isn't very good football, for the most part, and it stems from a supply problem. There are plenty of good football players. It just takes a very special human athlete to play NFL-caliber football, well.

I know it's never going to happen, and please don't shoot me for my opinion, but I think it's well-nigh indisputable that the quality of play would improve dramatically, were many current starters, especially at the QB position, relegated to depth status resulting from a contraction...and it's far from just QB's, it's across all positions to some degree, more or less. Plenty of starting NFL Players are just that: 'starters', because there are 32 Teams, not because they're NFL-starter quality Players.

As much as I love Pro Football, nothing will fix the underlying problem: that there are a finite number of NFL-caliber starting QB's, and in a 32-Team League, there are simply not enough to go around. Whoever or whatever you personally believe is responsible for creating such things just doesn't make enough to supply the demand. Unless we start cloning people, it's probably never going to happen.
But is that a direct result of these rules altogether? If teams know their starting QB is not likely to get hurt, why would you develop your #2 or #3?

IMO, these overly protective rules are a direct cause of the overall poorer QB play in the league. Teams don't give backups practice reps (which are also fewer and further between), and with the starters staying healthier the backups surely don't get as many game reps as pre-2005 or whenever this started to turn drastically.

Teams don't give backups practice reps (which are also fewer and further between), and with the starters staying healthier the backups surely don't get as many game reps as pre-2005 or whenever this started to turn drastically.
This is a big reason I wish the NFL would partner up with or create their own spring football league but have it run more like a farm system.

Riddell is developing a new helmet to reduce concussions likely to be tested in preseason. Helmet will be molded to fit the players head and padding will personalized for each player. The Axiom helmet will be designed to be more flexible and shock absorbing on impact.

Overall injuries were down 5.6% in 2022 in the NFL but concussions jumped by 18% (from 126 to 149) during the regular season. There were 33 instances of a spotter stopping play to remove a player for a potential concussion, the league said.

About 60 percent of the increase in concussions this season could be attributed to head injuries suffered by quarterbacks and players on special-teams plays. There was no increase in the number of players who suffered multiple concussions, and the median time out due to a concussion was nine days.

The Tony Siragusa cheap shot, arms out like an airplane riding Gannon to the ground (and hurting Gannon’s shoulder) is the poster child for these rules changes.
That's the first play I thought of. I'd much rather take a helmet to helmet hit than that one. Amazing Gannon didn't have multiple internal injuries.
Don’t you dare hit my QB! We pay him too much!

-all NFL teams
D Butkus just read this and is rolling his eyes.
As he and all the players who he played with stagger around with their walkers, if they can walk, if they are still alive.

Point being safety precautions are probably a good thing.

All this protection and SF was still down to it's 4th string QB in the NFC Title game because of injuries.

I agree with this take, and it has really made playing the QB position safer in today's game. That said the issue comes when the starter gets hurt. The quality of the product with most 2nd string QBs is not a product I want to watch. Then if the 2nd stringer gets hurt (think 9ers), the product of the field becomes so bad that I would rather watch a local high school game.

I do not know the solution.
Positional Salary cap

NFL defenses are just too much for most QBs that may have excelled at the college level. Better athletes, better coaches. It's why they keep making these rules that help the offense. Very few fans want to watch 14-10 games.

NFL defenses are just too much for most QBs that may have excelled at the college level. Better athletes, better coaches. It's why they keep making these rules that help the offense. Very few fans want to watch 14-10 games.
Baseball is the flagship for f’ing up their sport to avoid low scoring games - the games that baseball fans love the most. Great pitching & athletic defense.

Lower the mound, pitch clock, call strikes outside the zone, rabbit ball, MAKE SOME NOISE!! - literally anything but eliminate 10 commercial time outs a game.

And the end result is a bastardized version of the game that’s barely recognizable.

Steroids got people too excited for the 14-10 games in MLB, so they’ve done everything they can to turn batters into 3 outcome players and speed games up so the one sport without a timer can be faster.

Makes my blood boil.

Teams don't give backups practice reps (which are also fewer and further between), and with the starters staying healthier the backups surely don't get as many game reps as pre-2005 or whenever this started to turn drastically.
This is a big reason I wish the NFL would partner up with or create their own spring football league but have it run more like a farm system.
This is the main reason I’m hanging around the XFL and USFL threads, and DVR-ing the games (and mostly watching on fast forward or in the background unless the last 5-10 minutes, if the game is close). I’m hoping one of those 2 leagues can survive and become a legit, sanctioned NFL spring developmental league.

That's the first play I thought of. I'd much rather take a helmet to helmet hit than that one. Amazing Gannon didn't have multiple internal injuries.
Don’t you dare hit my QB! We pay him too much!

-all NFL teams
D Butkus just read this and is rolling his eyes.
As he and all the players who he played with stagger around with their walkers, if they can walk, if they are still alive.

Point being safety precautions are probably a good thing.
Then just change it to the NFFL (National Flag Football League)

We're getting away from the intent of the post, which is. when a QB is sacked, a penalty shouldn't be called just because of the defensive player's weight landing on the damn QB.

Make it easy. If a defender gets two hands on the QB, he is considered down at that spot. No more tackling the QB to the ground at all. There would be a lot fewer injuries that way. But there would be way more sacks.

Not sure if that should apply to QB running the ball. It certainly would be interesting if a QB running the ball was down when touched. It would minimize the impact of running QB.

It's nice to see that the not so subtle misogyny rooted in toxic masculinity is still alive and well.
That's the problem, masculinity has been taken away from a lot of men ;) and is now considered taboo to some.
Please respect Joe's wishes.
Hey, I wasn't the one who responded with the masculinity comment initially, only responded to it.
I didn’t see the other posts but even though you were joking you were setting up a confrontation by your initial post. I’m kind of sure you knew that though because you doubled (actually tripled counting thread title) down on your point.

Honestly I wasn’t offended necessarily - I also didn’t laugh though either - but I saw where it was going which is why I asked you to stop since Joe doesn’t want that. Frankly I don’t either.

Make it easy. If a defender gets two hands on the QB, he is considered down at that spot. No more tackling the QB to the ground at all. There would be a lot fewer injuries that way. But there would be way more sacks.

Not sure if that should apply to QB running the ball. It certainly would be interesting if a QB running the ball was down when touched. It would minimize the impact of running QB.
I’m sure you’re being tongue in cheek but that would obviously kill the sport.

We all remember the old days with hard hits and it was great. But the players today are just so much bigger and faster so **** Butkas burying a guy under his weight is one thing and a 340 pound tackle doing it is another thing.

It’s a tough call sometimes in real time. I think they should err on the side of not throwing a flag but in all honesty watching some of these third string QBs play is torture.

Last edited:
Truthfully, and it's possible I'm biased as I played TE 20 years ago, but what gets me is the defenseless receiver penalties.

I hate seeing receivers basically turtle themselves into penalties. I feel bad for safeties who were lined up for perfect hits, only to be penalized for a head suddenly being where the midsection was.

ETA: I actually think most head injuries are the receiver or qbs fault. Almost never see defenders headhunting in 2023.

If a qb is hit and has to sit out a play or more because of the hit or blood is drawn a penalty should be called. All other hits should be legal and teams should be able to roster 5 or more qb's on game day to account for more injuries to qb's. I'd rather see no penalty and real football played than see Patrick Mahomes finish a game. What headline could be better than "Insert team name almost wins with fifth string qb in game"

Users who are viewing this thread