What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumor about NO trading D. Stallworth (1 Viewer)

Despyzer

Lousy Attention Whore
PFT claims that "the New Orleans Saints currently are shopping former first-round receiver Donte' Stallworth."

We all know that San Diego's Donnie Edwards is on the trade block as well. Both are in the final year of their contracts. I'm merely tossing this idea around, but would a straight-up trade between these two be reasonable? fair?

It's fair for the Chargers since Stallworth is worth the 2nd round pick the Chargers are asking for Edwards.

I think Stallworth proved last year that he is an excellent #2 receiver and could become the go to guy if he went to SD. Edwards is up there in age but NO does need a LB. NO has Deverey Henderson to step in for Stallworth but I think giving up on him at 25 is a big mistake.

If we're already chucking rumors, how about a Stallworth-Lelie deal, a la Moss-Coles last year?

If we're already chucking rumors, how about a Stallworth-Lelie deal, a la Moss-Coles last year?
Sure... go crazy. Is Lelie on the block? I hadn't heard.
Yes, but I doubt anything will come of it. Lots of talk coming out of DEN this offseason but very little action other than losing Anderson/Pryce.The Chargers would be a worse team next season if they traded Edwards for Stallworth but it might be worth it if Edwards relationship with the team has deteriorated to the point he won't play up to his ability this season.

Not sure the trade makes sense for NO in that Edwards is pretty old and wouldn't be around anymore by the time they turn NO around.

Traded Lelie for THenry and rookie pick 2.07 so wouldnt surprise me one bit to see Lelie go somewhere and put up good #'s :cry:
Relax, Chris Brown has a higher probability of injury than Lelie has of getting traded.

It's fair for the Chargers since Stallworth is worth the 2nd round pick the Chargers are asking for Edwards.
Just because the Chargers are asking for a #2 doesn't mean they'll get it. No way would I do that deal if I was NO.

PFT claims that "the New Orleans Saints currently are shopping former first-round receiver Donte' Stallworth."

We all know that San Diego's Donnie Edwards is on the trade block as well. Both are in the final year of their contracts. I'm merely tossing this idea around, but would a straight-up trade between these two be reasonable? fair?
Sounds to me like combining some previous rumors they tried to start. True? I don't know, just a bit odd how it worked out

Just because the Chargers are asking for a #2 doesn't mean they'll get it. No way would I do that deal if I was NO.
No way. Stallworth is an intersting talent, he could be a star next season with Brees back there.

Why would NO do this? Lelie couldn't hold Stallworth's jock!
Let's not get carried away here. Stallworth isn't that good, I think he is equal to or maybe a little less of a value than Lelie. The Broncos are trying to trade him for Javon Walker, Lelie is still a great talent.

Sounds to me like combining some previous rumors they tried to start. True? I don't know, just a bit odd how it worked out
No, they aren't combining those rumors; I was.

This thread has great humor:

...Lelie is still a great talent.
Stallworth is an intersting talent, he could be a star next season with Brees back there.
:lmao:Give me a break. Both are first round BUSTS. Exchanging trash doesn't help either team. It just gets them new trash.

Stallworth is an intersting talent, he could be a star next season with Brees back there.
:lmao: Give me a break. Both are first round BUSTS. Exchanging trash doesn't help either team. It just gets them new trash.
So do you watch football? :rolleyes: If you think those two guys are busts, I am not sure what your criteria is....

Lelie- 168 receptions for 3007 and 12 Touchdowns as a #2 guy including a 1,000+ season in 2004. He has also never averaged less than 15 YPC in a season

Stallworth- 195 receptions for 2791 and 23 touchdowns as a #2 guy 70 receptions last year alone.

Those are better numbers than a lot of #1 receivers. Saying they are both first round busts either shows your ignorance of football or that you are fishing.....

:lmao: Give me a break. Both are first round BUSTS. Exchanging trash doesn't help either team. It just gets them new trash.
So do you watch football? :rolleyes: If you think those two guys are busts, I am not sure what your criteria is....

Lelie- 168 receptions for 3007 and 12 Touchdowns as a #2 guy including a 1,000+ season in 2004. He has also never averaged less than 15 YPC in a season

Stallworth- 195 receptions for 2791 and 23 touchdowns as a #2 guy 70 receptions last year alone.

Those are better numbers than a lot of #1 receivers. Saying they are both first round busts either shows your ignorance of football or that you are fishing.....
You again? Well I have other things to do rather than school you in the definition of Bust, but lets look at these numbers quickly, ok?

Lelie came into the league as a first rounder in 2002 as the #19 overall pick. In the four years that he has played, he has been in 16 games a year. So overall, we can assume, that his health hasn’t been a problem. In those four years, he only has one year with over a 1000yds receiving (2004) with 1084. This was also his best year at receptions, 54, yards per with 20.1 and TDs with 7. So he had a good season in 2004. If you take out that season, he has an average of 37 receptions a year for 641 yards and about 2 tds. For a first round pick? There are sixth round picks out there with better numbers.

Stallworth had some injury concerns at the beginning of his career. As a result, his rookie year and 2003 were less than a full season. However, his last two seasons have been an improvement over the first two (unlike Lelie). Stallworth’s numbers are more in line with a WR2 than Lelie.

So Lelie is indeed a bust as the #19 pick. Why do you think Denver is shopping him?

Okay, now I have to get back to work. Hope this explains it better for you..

Wish I could be a staffwriter...

Last edited by a moderator:

You again? Well I have other things to do rather than school you in the definition of Bust, but lets look at these numbers quickly, ok?

Lelie came into the league as a first rounder in 2002 as the #19 overall pick. In the four years that he has played, he has been in 16 games a year. So overall, we can assume, that his health hasn’t been a problem. In those four years, he only has one year with over a 1000yds receiving (2004) with 1084. This was also his best year at receptions, 54, yards per with 20.1 and TDs with 7. So he had a good season in 2004. If you take out that season, he has an average of 37 receptions a year for 641 yards and about 2 tds. For a first round pick? There are sixth round picks out there with better numbers.

Stallworth had some injury concerns at the beginning of his career. As a result, his rookie year and 2003 were less than a full season. However, his last two seasons have been an improvement over the first two (unlike Lelie). Stallworth’s numbers are more in line with a WR2 than Lelie.

So Lelie is indeed a bust as the #19 pick. Why do you think Denver is shopping him?

So you proved that Stallworth is not a bust?Hmm... is he a bust or a solid wr2? Just wondering

So you proved that Stallworth is not a bust?Hmm... is he a bust or a solid wr2? Just wondering
He's better than Lelie. If he has a better QB, and an existing run game, he would be better.

Both are the same wr but stallworth is better overall.If stallworth stays healty hes good.Last year he was the 1wr on the saints.I watch every saints game stall put up ok numbers all year in a bad spot.

Ashtray put up ok numbers but if you watched any denver games he had tons of drop passes.He could of had a monster year.Great running game,great off system,coaching,talent around.

Stallworth is better.If the saints trade him they are trading there best wr.I cant see them tradeing him unless hes a lockerroom cancer.I think Horn has the cancer locked up allready.

Both are the same wr but stallworth is better overall.If stallworth stays healty hes good.Last year he was the 1wr on the saints.I watch every saints game stall put up ok numbers all year in a bad spot.

Ashtray put up ok numbers but if you watched any denver games he had tons of drop passes.He could of had a monster year.Great running game,great off system,coaching,talent around.

Stallworth is better.If the saints trade him they are trading there best wr.I cant see them tradeing him unless hes a lockerroom cancer.I think Horn has the cancer locked up allready.
:loco: I know there are some good points here, but I just can't discern them.

With analysis like that it will be awhile.Players aren't busts just because they haven't lived up to their draft position. #13 and #19 are not high enough to expect to get a star and there are players drafted before them who aren't even starting. The teams may be disappointed they aren't better, but they are not busts. A bust are guys like Harrington and Mike Williams who couldn't do their jobs and were cut. Wendell Bryant and Ryan Sims are barely holding onto their jobs.

Did Donte Stallworth and Ashley Lelie live up to the expectations ? No. Are they first round busts? No. They are decent if not solid WR2.

With analysis like that it will be awhile.Players aren't busts just because they haven't lived up to their draft position. #13 and #19 are not high enough to expect to get a star and there are players drafted before them who aren't even starting. The teams may be disappointed they aren't better, but they are not busts. A bust are guys like Harrington and Mike Williams who couldn't do their jobs and were cut. Wendell Bryant and Ryan Sims are barely holding onto their jobs.
:lmao:

WR's with less receiving yards through 4 years than Lelie:

Michael Irvin

Marty Booker

Mark Duper

Eric Moulds

Muhammad

Art Monk

Rod Smith

Less than Stallworth and Lelie:

Deion Branch

Bobby Engram

Fred Biletnikoff

Javon Walker

Santana Moss

Michael Irvin

Marty Booker

Mark Duper

Eric Moulds

Muhammad

Art Monk

Rod Smith

Deion Branch

Bobby Engram

Fred Biletnikoff

Javon Walker

Santana Moss
Freddy played 14/games per season early in his career I believe.

Michael Irvin

Marty Booker

Mark Duper

Eric Moulds

Muhammad

Art Monk

Rod Smith

Deion Branch

Bobby Engram

Fred Biletnikoff

Javon Walker

Santana Moss
Freddy played 14/games per season early in his career I believe.
52 games for Fred, versus 56 for Stallworth and 64 for Lelie.

Michael Irvin

Marty Booker

Mark Duper

Eric Moulds

Muhammad

Art Monk

Rod Smith

Deion Branch

Bobby Engram

Fred Biletnikoff

Javon Walker

Santana Moss
Fine. Now narrow this list down and remove guys that were out a year for injury like Walker. After you finish that, then remove all the ones that were not a first round pick. Players like Engram and Branch. I'm not sure about Moss. Let's compare apples to apples here, ok?

WR's with less receiving yards through 4 years than Lelie (64 games):

Michael Irvin (48)

Marty Booker (55)

Mark Duper (43)

Eric Moulds (62)

Muhammad (53)

Art Monk (53)

Rod Smith (58)

Less than Stallworth (56 games) and Lelie:

Deion Branch (53)

Bobby Engram (59)

Fred Biletnikoff (52)

Javon Walker (48)

Santana Moss (51)
Fine. Now narrow this list down and remove guys that were out a year for injury like Walker. After you finish that, then remove all the ones that were not a first round pick. Players like Engram and Branch. I'm not sure about Moss. Let's compare apples to apples here, ok?
The only point I'm trying to make is that they were both young and productive and show that a lot of young WR's take time to develop into consistent receivers.

With that drivel, negative emotion, and near personal attack... you'd be closer to being fired than hired.Luckily for you, there is a very large internet out there in which to start your own site (hope you have the funding to be your own boss).

Exchanging trash doesn't help either team. It just gets them new trash.
That's simply not true. Ever heard of "change of scenery"? There are dozens of examples, but the first that comes to mind is S. Moss last year, going from being a malcontent in NYJ to being a premier WR for the Redskins. Many times, trades motivate people.Sure, your statement is true sometimes, and maybe you can even say it's usually true. That does not, however, make it generally true.

With that drivel, negative emotion, and near personal attack... you'd be closer to being fired than hired.Luckily for you, there is a very large internet out there in which to start your own site (hope you have the funding to be your own boss).
This wasn't direct at you. Ignore it and carry on. You're doing great so far. :rolleyes:

Sure, your statement is true sometimes, and maybe you can even say it's usually true. That does not, however, make it generally true.
I disagree that Moss was 'trash' in NY. But I see your point.

I'm not sure how bad Lelie is, but I can see why the Saints would want to deal Stallworth.

He may have some of the worst hands in the NFL.

I've heard rumors about that, as well as the idea that they may be shopping Charles Grant and Dwight Smith.

I think they're really weighing a lot of trade options....they have a lot of holes and want to bring in their own guys. By fishing and seeing what they can get for guys like Stallworth, Grant, and Smith, it allows them to see exactly what scenerio's would pop up if they elect to take a Williams or trade down for a Huff.

While I am curious to see what Stallworth can do with a guy like Brees, he does have poor hands and hasn't been a very multi-faceted WR...as fast as he is he really doesn't stretch the field because he rarely could haul in a deep ball. Stallworth and Grant's contracts run up after the season, too.

Sure, your statement is true sometimes, and maybe you can even say it's usually true. That does not, however, make it generally true.
2004 StatsLelie- 54 rec 1084 yards 7 TD

Stallworth- 58 rec 767 yards 5 TD

Santana Moss= 45rec for 838 5 TD

So....Lelie and Stallworth are trash but Moss in NY wasn't. :rolleyes:

Thanks for helping me prove my point that you know very little about football.

2003 down?74 /1105/10 for Santana.

Moss was not "trash" in NY.

ETA: neither are Stall or Lelie, but at least from what I've seen, Lelie is the more disapointing of the 3. He seemed to have lost a step in 2005.

2003 down?74 /1105/10 for Santana.

Moss was not "trash" in NY.

ETA: neither are Stall or Lelie, but at least from what I've seen, Lelie is the more disapointing of the 3. He seemed to have lost a step in 2005.
Hey OZ. Just ignore TexasMouth. He's a big staff writer at some other site and seems to think any opinion other than his is useless. No worries. Thanks for proving my point too. See Tex will take Lelie's career year and tell you that he is all pro without looking at it as a whole. He is just trying to slam me from another thread. Its cool.

Here's a prediction for a trade involving the Saints and Edwards. Straight up and The Saints send their 2nd rounder to the Chargers for their first rounder.

The Saints continue to get guys on their team who fill positions represented by the elite players in the top of the draft so it provides a smokescreen and other teams can't peg their draft strategy. Saints have plenty of options staying at #2 but also look at trading down, perhaps multiple times, from #2 overall to accumulate draft picks (Lord knows they have a lot of holes on the team) and draft best player available/best value available. (i.e., is Huff at #9 worth more than Ferguson or Mario at #2 when you factor in the extra draft picks we get.)

They've also shown a strategy (of course this is in my head) of jettisoning players they already have at the elite draft player position spots, creating a need on the team, which ups the value of said draft available players. AKA the San Diego - NYG deal where both needed QB's and Accorsi (GM Giants) got taken for a ride in the draft pick compensation department.

The "get guys who play positions that the best players in the draft represent" and "jettison guys at positions likely to be filled in the draft" explained:

(According to a possible projection of the first round)

1. Reggie Bush (already have Deuce inked to a big deal). Fits the strategy less as Bush is pretty much guaranteed to go #1 and the Saints can't leverage this spot and don't attempt to.

2. D Brick Ferguson: This is the pick many have the Saints making if they remain in this spot. Saints trade Wayne Gandy. D Brick is a can't miss prospect at LT. Guy you pencil in for 10 years. Would be highly pursued in draft. So what do you do if you are the Saints? Trade Wayne Gandy. Saints now pencilled in to take the Brick at #2. Makes the draft value for Brick even higher because there is a team high in the draft with a certain need for him. However, the Saints have also been rumored to try and trade down and get Brick a couple spots lower. There is a risk in doing so because maybe another team takes him at 3, 4, or 5. This only increases the value of the #2 spot for the Saints and trading down as they'll demand compensation for assuming risk. - But if we see the Saints trade Charles Grant it increases the demand for Mario Williams at the top of the draft board. A team like the Packers could certainly use a great LE to pair with pass rusher KBG.

A possibility? Look for the Saints to draft a player for someone else, possibly Matt Leinart for the Jets, while having possibly explored or made a trade to go down even further from the #4 spot. Drafting Leinart for the Jets would possibly rob the Titans of who they want, creating a leverage situation. They could also draft Mario Williams for the Jets, Packers amongst others.

Look even further at the principles of the Gandy deal and players currently on the roster and it furthers the cat and mouse game. RT Jammal Brown is a stud although they say he's more suited for the RT power position. Payton says he's merely just switching him to the left side. No need at that position! The Saints would appear either to have no need at the pass protection T spot or they could get bookend T's for the next 10 years. The Saints got a Safety in the deal although they've got a few guys there. However, Huff is a can't miss guy there and is SO GOOD he's one of the few safeties in a LONG time to be considered in the Top 10 (along with Sean Taylor and Roy Williams). He's also considered to be one of the best corners in the draft, if not the best. If the Saints don't have superstars and youth (outside of Josh Bullocks) at Safety, they have numbers and deph. No need for Huff at S! Well, the Saints have been rumored to be shopping Dwight Smith, their best Safety. Plus, Huff factors in by many to be the best CB prospect overall as well. The Saints have mostly aging players at CB but they are deep. Mike Mckenzie is the best of the lot. Where do other teams think the Saints would play Huff and do they appear to have the need to draft him?

3. Matt Leinart - This is the Titans draft spot. I've heard one rumor saying the coaching staff prefers Vince Young but the front office prefers Leinart. The ties to Leinart are obviously impressive with Norm Chow having been his OC at USC. Perhaps the team "leaked" the coaching staff wanting Young to smokescreen Chow's interest in working with Leinart again (for a long time). However, as I'm typing this, Sportscenter is running their draft specials and they're highlighting how the Titans could go after Young instead of Leinart. Another consideration, according to Jackson, Mort, and Kiper is Mario Williams. The prospects mentioned so far all have immense value because of their own merits but it is increased because of the needs of the teams up here. --- I also think the Saints have some leverage with Leinart. Drew Brees' contract is structured basically so that if the Saints want to, they can get rid of him after one year. If he recovers his health, they have him signed to a long term deal. But, if he tanks they've covered their arses. This creates a possibility for the Saints going with a QB, although many would find it doubt this statement, reality, and possibility strongly. ---- Another potential ace up the Saints sleeve for QB is the team coveting Young or Cutler, whom they could get later in the draft while acquiring more draft picks. That the Titans, Jets, Raiders, and Cards at 3, 4, 7, and 10 respectively ALL have high need for a QB helps the Saints in marketing their selection. -

4. Mario Williams - If the Saints trade Charles Grant, up the ante and come correct if you want to get Mario Williams from New Orleans.

But, what if the Saints want the Brick more? Or, do the Saints like the combo of Brick and some draft picks more than the immensely talented but inconsistent Williams?

The Jets could go in any number of directions. Certainly, they could use the likes of Bush, Williams, Brick, one of the QB's, or Hawk to reboot their franchise. The holes are plenty and anyone of these guys could be earmarked as the Jet's favorite to start over and build around. However, I see it lunlikely they trade down more than a couple of spots as the Super Blue Chippers are going to be gone soon after they pick and the Super Blue Chippers at premium NFL positions avaliable, RB (not a premium NFL position but a once in a decade player like Bush changes this), QB, LT, and DE are likely to be gone right after they pick at #4. Unless you consider Young and Cutler the guy to build around now. I could see them moving up to get their guy.

5. AJ Hawk - This is the Packers spot. You'd guess they would rather get a position other than QB right now but if the right guy is there who knows? They have needs at DE, LB, DT, CB, T, G, S, RB, and C. Wow. Hawk is another guy the Saints could use as their LBers are woeful. But the mold fits since the Saints need a LB like Hawk.

Vernon Davis? Would improve the Saints TE's by a mile. Bunkley and Ngata, it's not like the Saints couldn't use DT's. Huff has been mentioned.

6. San Fran - Could use Ferguson, Williams, Hawk, among the Super Blue Chippers. Huff too. They need D lineman for Nolan's 3-4. If New Orleans targets a guy who is not among the consensus top picks, this would be a nice spot. You could see a Cutler or Young here. San Fran is going to have a break in the Top 5 to get a player at a position they'd like the most.

7. Oakland - Pick a position on defense, any position. They could use a QB of the future. Ferguson is a guy they could use. I've heard a couple rumors they could trade up.

8. Buffalo - A really bad team - Around this spot is where the Saints could actually trade up with more picks. (See idea after pick rundown)

9. Detroit - They're just disappointed there isn't a WR to take here. - There are some players that would be intriguing for them in a trade up although plenty of guys that fill need positions. It's just there are premium guys at the positions they need a few spots up as well.

Another possibility? The Saints get the player they want in the Top 10 and with picks they've aquired, perhaps #29 from the Jets, #22 from the 9ers (recently aquired from Denver), plus their #2 pick, plus 2nd round and later picks aquired in tradedowns, the Saints trade back into the Top 10 and aquire a second elite talent. How about a Huff, Ngata, Young, Cutler, Bunkley, Davis, Hawk to go with a Brick or Mario Williams. Nice 2006 Draft right there.

QUOTE(T Man @ Apr 21 2006, 08:33 AM)

QUOTE(Englishteacher @ Apr 20 2006, 10:50 PM)

Here's a prediction for a trade involving the Saints and Edwards. Straight up and The Saints send their 2nd rounder to the Chargers for their first rounder.

I must be missing something. Why would the Chargers trade Donnnie Edwards and their 1st rounder to the Saints for the Saints 2nd rounder?

Are you thinking the Chargers trade their 2nd rounder and Edwards to the Saints for their early 2nd rounder?

No. Sorry, that was worded funny. I meant the players switch teams plus The Chargers and Saints switch these picks - Chargers 1st Round for New Orleans 2nd round.

Stallworth and Saints 2nd Rounder FOR Edwards and Chargers 1st Rounder

I must be missing something. Why would the Chargers trade Donnnie Edwards and their 1st rounder to the Saints for the Saints 2nd rounder?Are you thinking the Chargers trade their 2nd rounder and Edwards to the Saints for their early 2nd rounder?

I must be missing something. Why would the Chargers trade Donnnie Edwards and their 1st rounder to the Saints for the Saints 2nd rounder?Are you thinking the Chargers trade their 2nd rounder and Edwards to the Saints for their early 2nd rounder?
No. Sorry, that was worded funny. I meant the players switch teams plus The Chargers and Saints switch these picks - Chargers 1st Round for New Orleans 2nd round.Stallworth and Saints 2nd Rounder FOR Edwards and Chargers 1st Rounder

I meant the players switch teams plus The Chargers and Saints switch these picks - Chargers 1st Round for New Orleans 2nd round.

Because you think Stallworth is that much better than one of the better LBs in the game?

I meant the players switch teams plus The Chargers and Saints switch these picks - Chargers 1st Round for New Orleans 2nd round.

Stallworth and Saints 2nd Rounder  FOR Edwards and Chargers 1st Rounder
Because you think Stallworth is that much better than one of the better LBs in the game?
No. But he is pretty old. The Chargers could semi - build their WR core of the future around Stallworth.I'm just going on what the original poster put together as a trade idea. I don't think there are any press confirmations on this idea. I put my idea together with the originators idea. Myself, I do see it as potentially unlikely if the Chargers deem Edwards as integral to their defense in their win-now approach.

If you want the meat of anything I'm trying to say, look underneath the Stallworth-Edwards stuff in the LONG analysis I did of the Saints draft possibilities.

Trading Stallworth to aquire firepower in the draft fits what NO might be trying to do. We've seen the Chargers try and bolster their WR corps recently by resigning a frequently injured Eric Parker to a long term deal and making the trade for Rashaun Woods.

No. But he is pretty old. The Chargers could semi - build their WR core of the future around Stallworth.I'm just going on what the original poster put together as a trade idea. I don't think there are any press confirmations on this idea. I put my idea together with the originators idea. Myself, I do see it as potentially unlikely if the Chargers deem Edwards as integral to their defense in their win-now approach.

If you want the meat of anything I'm trying to say, look underneath the Stallworth-Edwards stuff in the LONG analysis I did of the Saints draft possibilities.

Trading Stallworth to aquire firepower in the draft fits what NO might be trying to do. We've seen the Chargers try and bolster their WR corps recently by resigning a frequently injured Eric Parker to a long term deal and making the trade for Rashaun Woods.
Sure Edwards is old, but do you think the Saints are going to re-sign Stallworth? If not then it's a 1 year deal for both players.

Stallworth won't fetch a 1st or a 2nd rounder (nor a 3rd rounder most likely) on his own, let alone an all-pro defensive back + a 1st rounder.Lower your expectations on the draft picks involved and it may be more realistic.

Care to enlighten me regarding his injury history? Maybe you are thinking of someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread