What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumor: Moss to Big D (1 Viewer)

So BB signs in Minn for 6 years @ 42 mil.

This is great news for Dallas. Igt means Moss will demand more, but not some unreachable number. At the same time, it might just be more then the Pats are willing to pay.

GOD make this happen.

What is Dallas' cap situation anyway? I know they just gave a little cash to Flozell. Ive got to admit, seeing Moss and TO on the same team would be fun to watch for alot reasons. I dont really see it happening, but obviously it'd make for some great entertainment. If it did, Id be thanking GOD my team wouldnt have to play them next year.

What is Dallas' cap situation anyway? I know they just gave a little cash to Flozell. Ive got to admit, seeing Moss and TO on the same team would be fun to watch for alot reasons. I dont really see it happening, but obviously it'd make for some great entertainment. If it did, Id be thanking GOD my team wouldnt have to play them next year.
They are a little more then 20 million under. They signed Flo, but they shaved off 2.4 million from trading Ferguson.I have said it multiple times, I think it has a huge chance to deteriorate into a mess, but how great would it be if it happened? It would be the most devastating passing offense since....well last year. :2cents:I also think they would be able to get by with only Barber at HB, and not have a huge need to worry about a complimentary back. Barber wouldn't need more then 15 carries a game and we already know he can handle that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that he has yet to sign with the Patriots is very indicative that he's listening to and considering other offers. Everybody was so certain that Moss would have been re-signed by New England by now. Hasn't happened. I wonder why?
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=090...mp;confirm=trueFA WR Moss Growing Frustrated; Listening To Other Offers

Adam Schefter, NFL Network

Three days into the free-agent signing period, the New England Patriots have yet to re-sign wide receiver Randy Moss. Those who know Moss say he is inching closer to the point of frustration at the lack of progress he has made for a new deal with the Patriots. The longer the Patriots wait to sign him, the more they invite other teams to begin recruiting Moss. Moss is, at the very least, now willing to take free-agent visits and listen to other offers, according to sources. The contract the Patriots have proposed is not enough for Moss to sign now. The record-setting wide receiver believes he gave New England a discount last year and is unwilling to do the same this year.

There ya go.

And from today's Boston Herald:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/footbal...&position=1

One of five teams most likely to offer the right mix to Moss:

1. Cowboys - Owner Jerry Jones is rich, so that’s not an issue. And Tony Romo is a Pro Bowl quarterback, so that would work, too. Don’t be surprised if Dallas puts on the full-court press. Jones already is on record saying he wants to make a splash this offseason, and the Cowboys thus far have been surprisingly quiet, beyond re-signing lineman Flozell Adams.

They are a little more then 20 million under. They signed Flo, but they shaved off 2.4 million from trading Ferguson.I have said it multiple times, I think it has a huge chance to deteriorate into a mess, but how great would it be if it happened? It would be the most devastating passing offense since....well last year. :thumbup:I also think they would be able to get by with only Barber at HB, and not have a huge need to worry about a complimentary back. Barber wouldn't need more then 15 carries a game and we already know he can handle that.
If theyve got that much cap space, then Jones could make something happen. That's without question then. And Barber certainly can carry the load, but Id have no doubt theyd draft one of the many good young RBs coming into the league this season. Someone like Steve Slaton, Ray Rice, Kevin Smith. Any of those guys would make a nice backup to Barber. The money seems big for Moss. But he did put up some #s last year.

They are a little more then 20 million under. They signed Flo, but they shaved off 2.4 million from trading Ferguson.I have said it multiple times, I think it has a huge chance to deteriorate into a mess, but how great would it be if it happened? It would be the most devastating passing offense since....well last year. :yes:I also think they would be able to get by with only Barber at HB, and not have a huge need to worry about a complimentary back. Barber wouldn't need more then 15 carries a game and we already know he can handle that.
If theyve got that much cap space, then Jones could make something happen. That's without question then. And Barber certainly can carry the load, but Id have no doubt theyd draft one of the many good young RBs coming into the league this season. Someone like Steve Slaton, Ray Rice, Kevin Smith. Any of those guys would make a nice backup to Barber. The money seems big for Moss. But he did put up some #s last year.
They don't have that much free cap room. I think they have less than $5 million right now.

They are a little more then 20 million under. They signed Flo, but they shaved off 2.4 million from trading Ferguson.I have said it multiple times, I think it has a huge chance to deteriorate into a mess, but how great would it be if it happened? It would be the most devastating passing offense since....well last year. :yes:I also think they would be able to get by with only Barber at HB, and not have a huge need to worry about a complimentary back. Barber wouldn't need more then 15 carries a game and we already know he can handle that.
They don't have that much free cap room. I think they have less than $5 million right now.
You're right. They don't have much room "right now". You're estimation is probably the right neighborhood.

I know they just signed Porter and got Williamson from Minnesota, but I am honestly surprised that the Jaguars are not making a major play for Moss. With those RBs and the improvement Garrard showed, Moss could make that offense unstoppable.

I don't see Dallas signing Moss.

Link

Cowboys trade Ferguson to Miami; cap space tight

By CLARENCE E. HILL, JR.chill@star-telegram.com

IRVING -- As expected, the Cowboys traded nose tackle Jason Ferguson to the Miami Dolphins Friday.

The teams will swap sixth-round picks in this year’s NFL Draft and the Cowboys will receive Miami’s sixth-round selection in 2009 for Ferguson.

The trade reunites Ferguson with former Cowboys coach Bill Parcells and a host of others in Miami. Parcells is the Dolphins vice-president. Ferguson played for Parcells while with the New York Jets from 1997-1999 before signing a huge deal to join the Cowboys as a free agent in 2005. The deal included a $ 9 million signing bonus.

It was one of three blockbuster-free agent signings the Cowboys made in the 2005 off-season, including cornerback Anthony Henry and guard Marco Rivera. Henry got a $10 million signing bonus to come over from Cleveland and Rivera got a $9 million signing bonus to come over from the Jets.

In hindsight, the Cowboys have not gotten their money’s worth from the $28 million they paid in bonuses. Henry has made the biggest contributions with 11 interceptions, including six last season, but he has yet to make it through a season healthy. Rivera injured his back shortly after signing the contract and had to retire following the 2006 season because of the injury.

Ferguson started five games in his first season. He had a solid 2006 season, but then basically missed the entire 2007 season after suffering a torn right biceps tendon against the New York Giants in the season opener.

The trade created about $2.4 million in salary cap space for the Cowboys. The trade also means the Cowboys are very happy with their nose tackle combination of Jay Ratliff, who filled in so well for Ferguson last year that the Cowboys gave him a $20.5 million contract extension in December, and Tank Johnson.

The team was initially worried about the position when Ferguson was injured because Ratliff was undersized and it would cause them to play a different style up front. The Cowboys like the movement they have from Ratliff. And because Johnson plays the same way, it’s a perfect fit.

It also means that the gamble of adding Johnson, after his troubles in Chicago, is paying off. The team wouldn’t have traded Ferguson if there was a major concern about Johnson not being around next season. Johnson had to sit out the first eight games of the 2007 season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy as a member of the Chicago Bears.

The Cowboys are very tight against the 2008 salary cap _ with barely enough money to sign their draft picks. Trading Ferguson gives them around $3 million in cap room.

With limited money, the Cowboys aren’t expected to be major players in free agency. They have no scheduled visits with any free agent prospects. This doesn’t mean they won’t add a player or two in free agency, particularly with speculation that they might be interested in wide receiver Javon Walker and running back Tatum Bell, a DeSoto native. They will likely have to restructure a couple of contracts to do so and it will almost certainly have to come at the right price.

Meanwhile, Cowboys cornerback Jacques Reeves, an unrestricted free agent, has visits set up with four teams and could soon be landing a job in another city.

He visited Houston Friday and will head to New Orleans today, St. Louis Monday and Kansas City Tuesday. Reeves also hopes to get interest from Miami, where his former defensive backs coach Todd Bowles moved to become assistant head coach and secondary coach.

Reeves, who is looking for a starting job, doesn’t expect to sign until he has made his rounds. Forced into the lineup because of injuries to starters Terence Newman and Anthony Henry, Reeves started 13 games and finished with 67 tackles, one interception and 14 passes defensed.

"We’re going to take our time with this," said Brian Hamilton, Reeves’ agent.

Training camp in Oxnard

The Cowboys made it official Friday, announcing they are returning to Oxnard, Calif. for training camp this summer. Due to a scheduling conflict with the Alamodome in San Antonio, the Cowboys were forced to look at alternative training camp sites.

Dallas returns to the Residence Inn River Ridge facility where it trained from 2004-2006. The workout fields are located next to the hotel where the Cowboys will stay. The starting date for training camp has not yet been released.

The Cowboys will return to the Alamodome in 2009 and the team remains in a long-term partnership with San Antonio and the Alamodome through 2011.

Rick Herrin contributed to this report

To make this work, Dallas would have to have enough salary cap space. As best I can figure, here's their cap situation:

Dallas entered FA with $20.6 mil of space. Trading Fergy cleared up $2.4 more, so thats a starting point of $23.0 mil.

Hamlin was franchised for about $4.6. Barber and Canty were tendered for $4.6 in aggregate. Thats $9.2 total for these 3 guys. So we're now down to $13.2.

Flozell's new deal carries a 2008 cap charge of $3.6 mil. So we're now down to $9.6 mil.

Zach Thomas' 2008 cap charge is $1.25 mil, so we're down to $8.4 mil.

This link has the cap charges for Flo and Thomas. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...er.372bc9d.html.

Dallas will need about $6 mil in cap space to sign its draft picks, so we're now about $2.4 mil in open cap room.

How could they reasonably get more space? Terry Glenn and Akin Ayodele seem the most likely spots. I think each of those guys would clear about $2-3 mil. The only vets that I think might make sense to restructure are TO, Henry and possibly Kosier. You don't want to restructure Roy Williams because he likely gets cut next year anyway. Can't make that cap hit worse. Romo, Witten, Bigg Davis, Gurode, and Greg Ellis each were signed/restructured within the last year. Kind of hard to go back to these guys so soon.

So there you have it. About $2.4 mil in space available today. Glenn and/or Ayodele might get you up to maybe $7 or $8 mil. Only reasonable restructures are TO, Henry, and possibly Kosier.

Chadstroma said:
Moss has always wanted to play for the Cowboys and was pissed that they passed on him in the draft. I don't know why everyone thinks Moss going back to NE is a slam dunk since I think it will be a tough year mentally for the Pats after the SB collapse. I don't see Randy wanting to go through that.
Add in how he already feels he gave them a huge discount. Add in that he wants to get paid. Add in the amount of craziness that will go on with the Pat's scandals. Add in the aging Patriot D. Add in that he would like to get more credit that usually goes to Brady for the success of that offense. Add in that he feels dissed that the Pat's have not gone after him uber aggresively. I think each day that goes by means there is an even bigger chance that Moss does not go back to the Patriots. I am doubtful it would be Dallas although I do not think it is outside the realm of possibility.
Green Bay makes no sense - it's going to be Dallas. The biggest ego on the planet is in Big D, and he'll be all over Moss now. No wasy Wade Phillips will be able to keep those two guys on the straight and narrow...but I'll tune it to watch it along with the rest of the country.
I do not see how GB does not make any sense. Bringing Moss in would make Brett very happy and Brett very happy means that GB is very happy. Further, without double checking and going off of memory I think GB has much more cap room to make it financially work than Dallas does. I am not saying it will be GB but I do not see why you could rule them out at this point.

For the 100th time.

You can't subtract those figures dollar for dollar. The Zach Thomas deal isn't exactly 1.3 each year. 1 million of it is incentive based so on the books right now it MIGHT only be 1 million per year. for all we know, it could be 500k this year, 1.5 million next year, and so forth.

Same with the other deals. Signing bonuses also take hit out of the per year salary.

Im not saying they have or don't have the room to fit players in, I'm just saying it is so clear cut and dry.

I am not counting on Moss coming to Dallas unless JJ can get really creative with the cap and/or trade/renegotiate some players. Guys I can see being traded are Marcus Spears and Akin Ayodele. I was hoping that they could free up some room by signing Ken Hamlin to a long term deal but with the crazy money being spent on Safeties right now I don't know how much they can free up.

Still.

Jerry says he wants to add an explosive player on the offense so I expect them to do something. Javon Walker is the most likely if they can work a deal and his knee tests out.

Ideas that I have not heard supporting information and may only make sense in my head.

I could see them make a trade for Matt Jones of the Jags using a late pick (5-6th rounder). (He is from Arkansas so Jerry might be following his carreer and think that he could do well in Dallas. The Jags don't seem to value him at the moment and they just brought in 2 WRs and think Reggie Williams is ready to make the jump.

Algae Crumpler- Dallas likes to use the 2 TE set and if they can't swing a deal for a WR this might be the next best thing. He and Witten are both goodblockers as well as being great receivers so having them both on the field would not tip the offense's hand as to whether or not it is a run or pass or which side the ball is coming for that matter.

I didn't see your post Ridgelake. Nice job on breaking down the salary.

I didn't think about Glenn. He might make sense. I don't see Henry redoing his deal unless it makes him alot more money since Corners seem to be worth their weight in gold at the moment.

Chadstroma said:
Moss has always wanted to play for the Cowboys and was pissed that they passed on him in the draft. I don't know why everyone thinks Moss going back to NE is a slam dunk since I think it will be a tough year mentally for the Pats after the SB collapse. I don't see Randy wanting to go through that.
Add in how he already feels he gave them a huge discount. Add in that he wants to get paid. Add in the amount of craziness that will go on with the Pat's scandals. Add in the aging Patriot D. Add in that he would like to get more credit that usually goes to Brady for the success of that offense. Add in that he feels dissed that the Pat's have not gone after him uber aggresively. I think each day that goes by means there is an even bigger chance that Moss does not go back to the Patriots. I am doubtful it would be Dallas although I do not think it is outside the realm of possibility.
Green Bay makes no sense - it's going to be Dallas. The biggest ego on the planet is in Big D, and he'll be all over Moss now. No wasy Wade Phillips will be able to keep those two guys on the straight and narrow...but I'll tune it to watch it along with the rest of the country.
I do not see how GB does not make any sense. Bringing Moss in would make Brett very happy and Brett very happy means that GB is very happy. Further, without double checking and going off of memory I think GB has much more cap room to make it financially work than Dallas does. I am not saying it will be GB but I do not see why you could rule them out at this point.
It doesn't make any sense because GB doesn't need him. (Not that Dallas does, but J.Jones aggressive style is the key there)They have enough talented WR's and can use the money elsewhere. They don't need to make Brett Favre happy. Brett Favre has been coming back to far less talented teams then the team he is currently playing on.

I forget to add the contracts of LS Ladouceur and reserve olineman Joe Berger. These guys have combined 2008 cap charges of about $1.5 mil. So that means that Dallas has about $1 mil of cap space for FA action.

I am not counting on Moss coming to Dallas unless JJ can get really creative with the cap and/or trade/renegotiate some players. Guys I can see being traded are Marcus Spears and Akin Ayodele. I was hoping that they could free up some room by signing Ken Hamlin to a long term deal but with the crazy money being spent on Safeties right now I don't know how much they can free up.

Still.

Jerry says he wants to add an explosive player on the offense so I expect them to do something. Javon Walker is the most likely if they can work a deal and his knee tests out.

Ideas that I have not heard supporting information and may only make sense in my head.

I could see them make a trade for Matt Jones of the Jags using a late pick (5-6th rounder). (He is from Arkansas so Jerry might be following his carreer and think that he could do well in Dallas. The Jags don't seem to value him at the moment and they just brought in 2 WRs and think Reggie Williams is ready to make the jump.

Algae Crumpler- Dallas likes to use the 2 TE set and if they can't swing a deal for a WR this might be the next best thing. He and Witten are both goodblockers as well as being great receivers so having them both on the field would not tip the offense's hand as to whether or not it is a run or pass or which side the ball is coming for that matter.
Who are all these Arkansas players Jones has gone after? I have never heard so much about his ties to Arkansas in all these years until McDaddy showed up.

And Frank, the numbers in my above post are CAP CHARGES. Check out the link I posted.
Just did, and I stand corrected on those two. :link: is on me!The best news in that article is Terry Glenn not opting for surgery. We could REALLY use him. I know he is very hungry for a title. I have always been a very big Glenn fan. I think he is one of the most underrated and under utilized WR's of the past 10-15 years.

Still.

Who are all these Arkansas players Jones has gone after? I have never heard so much about his ties to Arkansas in all these years until McDaddy showed up.
First I said that it was unsupported and may only make sense to me so I think I qualified it pretty well. I never said that Jerry goes after Arkansas players but considering how loyal Jerry is I think we can safely say that Jerry follows the team and its players. Jerry did say he followed Ken Hamlin's career in Arkansas before he brought him in last season and I have seen him bring in undrafted free agents from Arkansas to see if they can make the team.

TO is 35 after next season, which is his last under contract. He received NO signing bonus on the original deal. Moss is 31.

I'd see if you can sign Moss for 3-4 yrs, he'd run 6-8 mil on the cap. TO is going to run 7 right now, Cut TO, Add Moss. Now you have a WR1 who is locked up for 3-4 yrs and take a minor hit in useful cap space. Otherwise, they'll not be wanting to shell out big money on a 35 yr old TO, they'll have no #1 Wr and will have to hope that their development WR in this yr's draft develops damn fast. TO costs nothing to cut as he has no signing bonus to pro rate.

I'd trade out TO to Moss in order to get the extra years of near certainty at the position. Moss also would cost nothing in picks to acquire unlike whatever top flight WR they might try to pry away next yr. You still have a lot of risk because Moss is a head case, but so is TO so gambles have to be taken sometimes.

Chadstroma said:
GB seems to be pretty happy w/ their stable of WR's - and I'd agree w/ that. I also think their management won't get sucked into over-paying him, er uh paying him his "due". I think it comes down to which organizations are willing to pay up for guys w/ character issues - and it ain't the Pack IMO. NE took a low risk in signing him and got paid big. It's basic buy low, sell high.

I wish people would stop with the Jerry Jones/Arkansas players connection crap. Geez. Enough of that already. Jerry isnt going after Matt Jones because he played at Arkansas. Really dumb comment.

I think the only thing Moss is doing right now is trying to drive his price up and use it as a bargaining ploy, he is using the team to do it though....Bill Bellycheck thinks he can win with scrubs at WR so he probably isnt going to break the bank for Moss.

I just hope we dont sign Javon Walker. I think the guy is done. I was a little excited about it but the more I hear, the more I dont like.

TO is 35 after next season, which is his last under contract. He received NO signing bonus on the original deal. Moss is 31.I'd see if you can sign Moss for 3-4 yrs, he'd run 6-8 mil on the cap. TO is going to run 7 right now, Cut TO, Add Moss. Now you have a WR1 who is locked up for 3-4 yrs and take a minor hit in useful cap space. Otherwise, they'll not be wanting to shell out big money on a 35 yr old TO, they'll have no #1 Wr and will have to hope that their development WR in this yr's draft develops damn fast. TO costs nothing to cut as he has no signing bonus to pro rate.I'd trade out TO to Moss in order to get the extra years of near certainty at the position. Moss also would cost nothing in picks to acquire unlike whatever top flight WR they might try to pry away next yr. You still have a lot of risk because Moss is a head case, but so is TO so gambles have to be taken sometimes.
I doubt the Cowboys could get much in trade but even if they have to cut him it will free up the $7M this year they need to sign Moss. I think it's the best move they can make.

Texasmouth said:
I wish people would stop with the Jerry Jones/Arkansas players connection crap. Geez. Enough of that already. Jerry isnt going after Matt Jones because he played at Arkansas. Really dumb comment. I think the only thing Moss is doing right now is trying to drive his price up and use it as a bargaining ploy, he is using the team to do it though....Bill Bellycheck thinks he can win with scrubs at WR so he probably isnt going to break the bank for Moss. I just hope we dont sign Javon Walker. I think the guy is done. I was a little excited about it but the more I hear, the more I dont like.
I never said he would go after him because he was from Arkansas. I just think he might be more aware of him than other players.I think he would go after him because he is 6'6 and runs a 4.4 forty and could probably be had for very cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread