What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumor: Ricky Williams wins his appeal (1 Viewer)

ooofffaaa

Footballguy
Do not kill the messenger here but this site is reporting that Ricky has won his appeal. I am not familiar with htis site at all so I have no idea how valid it is.

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2006Draft.html

"the league is supposed to decide the fate of Dolphins Rb Ricky Williams today and the word around the league is Williams has won his appeal and will be dealt by the Dolphins either before or during the Draft...the Broncos once again appear to be the front runner for Williams and have extra picks in the second and third rounds...the Dolphins are without a second round pick in the upcoming Draft and have just two picks in day one"

Ronny Brown owners ->

Ricky Williams fans ->

Miami Dolphin fans who like the 2 headed RB approach ->

SO huge if Denver gets Ricky.
He'd be scary running behind that Denver Oline.As a Dolphin fan I hope the Dolphins keep him. He's worth so much more to them then a scrub 2nd, 5th, or 6th rd pick.

SO huge if Denver gets Ricky.
Until recently I owned both Brown and Williams. I moved Ricky for a Rookie 3rd and 6th not knowing what would happen. Something is better than nothing I thought. Then when I read on ESPN that Williams weighed 30 pounds less than last season I felt much better I had made the right choice. I'm wondering if Williams is tradeable if the drug he was linked to was contained in a supplement. Is that the reason he lost his bulk? Can he continue to take the supplement? A myriad of questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Ricky does win his appeal, there is no way a team would give up anything more than a 5th round pick for Williams; who is technically sitting at 3.75 on the violation of the NFL Drug Policy.

And I don't think the Dolphins are willing to part with Williams if the return is that low.

As a charger fan, I hope the Dolphins keep him, too. Going to Denver is tough enough without someone of the calibur of Williams running there.

If Ricky does win his appeal, there is no way a team would give up anything more than a 5th round pick for Williams; who is technically sitting at 3.75 on the violation of the NFL Drug Policy.

And I don't think the Dolphins are willing to part with Williams if the return is that low.
I totally agree with you.Here come all the anti-Ricky excuses we heard last year . . .

He lost too much weight.

His hearts not into it.

He's a pot head

Blah blah blah

He seemed to gain the weight back last year pretty quickly.

His heart seemed into it near the end of last seaosn when he ran over and through defenses.

His heart seemed into it near the end of last seaosn when he ran over and through defenses.
Yep, he looked like ricky of old. I think it'll take a 2nd from Denver to pry him away - at least thats what I would want if i was Miami. Remember that Ricky's salary is dirt cheap.

Thanks for the info - Ricky owner in two leagues looking for info! Would he be the man in Denver or RBBC hell again?

Thanks for the info - Ricky owner in two leagues looking for info! Would he be the man in Denver or RBBC hell again?
Since Ricky possesses more talent than all of Denver's other RBs combined, I doubt they'd go with RBBC.

I still don't understand why the Dolphins would trade him.

He's essentially playing for free. I'd rather have a very solid, proven running back playing for free than a 2nd round potential bust that costs more.

He's essentially playing for free. I'd rather have a very solid, proven running back playing for free than a 2nd round potential bust that costs more.
BINGO !!!

BINGO !!!
I think it's because they have bigger holes at other positions. They're not drafting a rb there, they'll draft a linebacker or a DT or maybe even a corner. The dolphins figure they have their guy in Brown.

I agree that Miami would be foolish to trade Ricky unless they have a specific target and need who will be there (with the Denver pick?).

I have seen some reports that Ricky was down to 185 lbs and not in condition. I have also seen a few msg boards saying he attended Nick's off season conditioning and looked to be at 215-218 lbs.

What sort of shape is Ricky in? Will Denver take him at 185?

Then when I read on ESPN that Williams weighed 30 pounds less than last season I felt much better I had made the right choice.
Do you have a link to this. I thought someone posted in the other Ricky thread that the guy was sitting around 215 right now....

He's essentially playing for free.  I'd rather have a very solid, proven running back playing for free than a 2nd round potential bust that costs more.
BINGO !!!
I think it's because they have bigger holes at other positions. They're not drafting a rb there, they'll draft a linebacker or a DT or maybe even a corner. The dolphins figure they have their guy in Brown.
The holes aren't big enough to give up Ricky for a 2nd rd pick or worse. He's worth so much more to the Dolphins than that. He makes peanuts and runs like a Top 10 RB.

He's essentially playing for free.  I'd rather have a very solid, proven running back playing for free than a 2nd round potential bust that costs more.
BINGO !!!
The holes aren't big enough to give up Ricky for a 2nd rd pick or worse. He's worth so much more to the Dolphins than that. He makes peanuts and runs like a Top 10 RB.
a 2nd rounder in this draft might be worth it. In other drafts, i would agree.

I agree that Miami would be foolish to trade Ricky unless they have a specific target and need who will be there (with the Denver pick?).

I have seen some reports that Ricky was down to 185 lbs and not in condition. I have also seen a few msg boards saying he attended Nick's off season conditioning and looked to be at 215-218 lbs.

What sort of shape is Ricky in? Will Denver take him at 185?
While he could have very well done it again, this is what Ricky did when he retired. He dropped to about 185. Then he bulked up to somewhere around 220 before playing. BTW Ricky's old playing weight used to be about 235. He didnt like being a battering ram though which he claimed is one reason he retired. This could be old news or it could just be Ricky's new thing.Doing this yoga stuff, there's a good chance he went on some sort of fast. Which means several pounds will come back just by putting food in his system and he would have lost a lot of muscle weight much of which he'd regain quickly. Not sure if this is what happened but there was a rumor that the positive drug test came from a weight loss supplement.

big news indeed if true.

If the Phins trade him, it'll probably be for a 2nd or 3rd, with all kind of protection conditions attached.

:hey:

Hopeful FBG.

Hopeful that the Ron Dayne/Tatum Bell threads will end...

:blackdot:

I just went out in my main dynasty league and gave up a late second rounder for him. The upside of Ricky is beyond what I'd have gotten there and, what the hell, I felt like gambling. (I actualyl drafted Ricky in our league inaugural draft several years ago, and as much as I cursed him when he quit on me, I still have a soft spot for the guy).

Win the appeal. Go to Denver. Do it.

:blackdot:

I just went out in my main dynasty league and gave up a late second rounder for him. The upside of Ricky is beyond what I'd have gotten there and, what the hell, I felt like gambling. (I actualyl drafted Ricky in our league inaugural draft several years ago, and as much as I cursed him when he quit on me, I still have a soft spot for the guy).

Win the appeal. Go to Denver. Do it.
I gave up Chester Taylor, 3rd, 4th for RW and a 2nd rounder :bag: Did that the day befor his hearing...

Why would Denver give up a first day pick for Ricky Williams?

The guy is one step away from being suspended (again), he's obviously very unreliable, Denver has shown that pretty much anyone can succeed with their running scheme (so why roll the dice on this guy?), and 2nd-3rd round draft picks don't exactly break the bank. Just makes no sense.

The guy is one step away from being suspended (again), he's obviously very unreliable, Denver has shown that pretty much anyone can succeed with their running scheme (so why roll the dice on this guy?), and 2nd-3rd round draft picks don't exactly break the bank. Just makes no sense.
Two words Maurice Clarett...

Every dynasty owner of a second-string running back has dreams about their back going to Denver. That's all that drives the rumors.

If your Denver you are one step away from being a superbowl champion. After the brillant job they've done in the offseason trading draft pick I think they could spare their 2nd rounder and take a chance at greatness. Other backs have been effective but do you remember when they had superb talent back there like TD or Portis, it was scary. You have to go into the "Ricky experiment" as hopefully getting 2 years out of him.

Understood. But Denver didn't have a problem with him on their team for the last 2 years.
Denver lets their most productive RB from last year go, but it can't have anything to do with the fact that he was one step away from being suspended for a year?

Understood. But Denver didn't have a problem with him on their team for the last 2 years.
Denver lets their most productive RB from last year go, but it can't have anything to do with the fact that he was one step away from being suspended for a year?
It might have something to do with the fact that he's on the wrong side of 32 years old and wasn't THAT good anyway.Call me crazy.

Or was it age? Wasn't MA closing in on 33 yo?Some speculation (ok... Shanny blowing smoke rings up the "hershey wind pipe" of the media) had C Cobbs impressing the staff.

There are too many possibilities of the Denver RB situation to be of clear Top 10 value. You would have to invest 4 roster spots to secure the position and then have to gamble with the right starter each week!

Denver not winning the SB had nothing to do with needing a better rushing attack. Maybe Rat's huge ego will try and prove he can turn-around Ricky's career, but there are plenty of reasons why Ricky is not a good gamble for Denver.

1. Questions about Ricky's heart -- is he just playing because he's compelled to?

2. 1 drug test away from being gone for the year

3. Weight and durability issues

4. The running game could be just as successful by drafting a RB on day 1 and going with Bell\Dayne\Williams, etc as it could be with Ricky.

Denver not winning the SB had nothing to do with needing a better rushing attack. Maybe Rat's huge ego will try and prove he can turn-around Ricky's career, but there are plenty of reasons why Ricky is not a good gamble for Denver.

1. Questions about Ricky's heart -- is he just playing because he's compelled to?

4. The running game could be just as successful by drafting a RB on day 1 and going with Bell\Dayne\Williams, etc as it could be with Ricky.
I have my problems with Ricky, but he is an elite talent. He is an experienced veteran. Teams will have to gameplan around Ricky. And considering the workload he has had, I see no durability issues.He would be an asset for Denver for a 2nd round pick.

The same is true for Walker.

If you could add Walker and Williams for two 2nd rounders, you can address defense with the other picks.

:no: Ricky is in a whole different talent category from the guys you mention above.

Not sure I'm adding much here but:

Denver does have an extra 2nd

Miami doesn't have a 2nd at all

Seems like if Denver was even remotely interested in R. Williams then they have available ammunition to go out at get him.

Seems like if Miami was even remotely interested in trading R. Williams then they would probably have Denver's number on speed dial.

That's all. Carry on.

This whole "Ricky for a 2nd round pick" stinks of a used car salesman trying to move a vehicle at any cost.

Ricky brings the most value to the Dolphins. I don't think any team would be interested in acquiring any player who already had 3 1/2 strikes against the NFL drug policy for a price tag of a 3rd round pick or higher.

A 3rd round pick should bring you solid contribution for 3/4 years (possibly more). Ricky is one accident from being suspended for a year.

The guy is one step away from being suspended (again), he's obviously very unreliable, Denver has shown that pretty much anyone can succeed with their running scheme (so why roll the dice on this guy?), and 2nd-3rd round draft picks don't exactly break the bank.  Just makes no sense.
Every dynasty owner of a second-string running back has dreams about their back going to Denver. That's all that drives the rumors.
:goodposting:

:no: Ricky is in a whole different talent category from the guys you mention above.
I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing NEED. Denver didn't miss out on the championship because of a poor running game. I'm saying they don't NEED Ricky.

I can certainly see this as advantageous for both teams. With O-line incredibly deep in this draft, a second rounder could net Miami a potential stud in the second, after drafting a D-Back in the first = two biggest holes filled. Keeping Ricky also has value due to his low salary, but having another body on the O-line would give them a better chance of taking it to the next level (IMHO).

For Denver, Ricky would give them a go to back, which they lack now. They have enough draft picks to play this game, and a talented enough team, to not have many holes to play. It's a gamble worth taking (again IMHO).

The guy is one step away from being suspended (again), he's obviously very unreliable, Denver has shown that pretty much anyone can succeed with their running scheme (so why roll the dice on this guy?), and 2nd-3rd round draft picks don't exactly break the bank.  Just makes no sense.
:goodposting: If Denver is that unhappy with their current stable of running backs, what is the case for using a 2nd round pick for a 29 year old running back who is 1 strike from a year-long suspension bring better value than spending a 1st round pick on DeAngelo Williams?

:confused:

Guys, I think some of you need to realize that 2nd round picks aren't the throwaways that a lot of you seem to portray them to be.

Also, just because Denver has two 1st round picks, that doesn't mean they are looking to get rid of their 2nd round pick.

Ultimately a Ricky trade makes sense, because the Dolphins otherwise just have wasted talent sitting on the bench. Sure, having two backs is a nice luxury, but it's not a necessity, and the Dolphins could convert that bench value to fill a need.

I don't know if anyone has said how Denver media caught wind of the drug test failure in the first place. I've always assumed it was leaked by someone in Denver's camp; seems the most plausible since they were one of few teams with access to his status due to the trade talks, and the reporter was from Denver. If Miami has concluded the same, I'd imagine they are irked and talks may not resume on Ricky to Denver.

Ultimately a Ricky trade makes sense, because the Dolphins otherwise just have wasted talent sitting on the bench. Sure, having two backs is a nice luxury, but it's not a necessity, and the Dolphins could convert that bench value to fill a need.
Of course it makes sense.For Miami.

I'm not sure it makes sense for anyone else though.

:goodposting: If Denver is that unhappy with their current stable of running backs, what is the case for using a 2nd round pick for a 29 year old running back who is 1 strike from a year-long suspension bring better value than spending a 1st round pick on DeAngelo Williams?

did you watch ricky late last year? If you did, I think you would see the case for making that trade. Also, once again, he's dirt cheap. No long term cap hit if he runs afoul of the drug policy.

did you watch ricky late last year? If you did, I think you would see the case for making that trade. Also, once again, he's dirt cheap. No long term cap hit if he runs afoul of the drug policy.
It's a 2nd round pick you guys are talking about. That's not cheap; that's quite expensive.

Ricky brings the most value to the Dolphins. I don't think any team would be interested in acquiring any player who already had 3 1/2 strikes against the NFL drug policy for a price tag of a 3rd round pick or higher.
Ricky has a limited shelf life, and as such is more valuable to a contender than a rebuilding team like the Dolphins.When you factor in age, workload, salary and suspension risk I'm not sure that Ricky is that much worse than say Dillon a couple of years ago, and he went for a second.

It's a 2nd round pick you guys are talking about. That's not cheap; that's quite expensive.
Thats what Miami gave up for Culpepper. Just as big questions (injury/terrible 05 play vs. drug policy), and Culpepper is expensive, while Ricky is dirt cheap. Both are former pro bowl level players. I think based on the market, a 2nd is about right. One key thing you keep overlooking is that Ricky costs very little in cap terms, which very positively affects his trade value.

Yep, he looked like ricky of old. I think it'll take a 2nd from Denver to pry him away - at least thats what I would want if i was Miami. Remember that Ricky's salary is dirt cheap.
I'd want more if I was Miami. I'd betif they wait a few days some other teams will offer their 2nd too. As you said he's so cheap

Users who are viewing this thread