What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Run in with a Walgreens Mgr over some Swedish Fish (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Here is the deal...I got sick this week with bronchitis, went to the doctor, he put me on antibiotics and a couple other things, drop my prescriptions off around 9:00PM, come back about 11:00 later that night to pick them up. My wife was starting to catch what I had and she of course asked me to pick up some little boxed candy so we could curl up when I got home and watch a movie. She likes the swedish fish and also gummy bears. I grab 2 boxes of the swedish fish, 1 bag of gummy bears, they all are clearly marked 3/$4 and I take them over to the cashier at the pharmacy so I can pick up my drugs and get home. Nice gal behind the counter rings up the candy, Rx are free with insurance, total was about $6. I said I think the candy is 3/$4...she says let me get a mgr to do a price check.

We wait...she calls him again and this little man waddles to the back and I just politely tell him the candy is always marked 3/$4 and it's ringing up wrong. He says "let me take a look 1st and see what they really cost." As if I was lying to him. And honestly I was already starting to get irritable now. He can clearly see me standing there white as a ghost, nose running, just want to grab this stuff and get the hell out of there. So he asks if I can walk with him to where I found the candy. So I actually do walk him over there and show him. He then says "Well they are not exact matches even though they are 3/$4." Meaning he is now saying that I am mixing and matching. I said well you knew that before you made me walk with you halfway across the store. So we start exchanging unpleasantries back to the Pharmacy counter.

He says he "really doesn't feel like he should give me the discount but that he will make an exception" as we got back to the counter and that was it for me. I told the pretty lady behind the counter, "just charge me full freight!" This guy has had plenty of time to right this situation and since he keeps telling me that corporate doesn't like this and that, maybe I'll just call corporate tomorrow and find out what the rules are myself. You have made me feel like a liar, thief, and you don't know the 1st thing about customer service. He tried to have the clerk take the discount off, I said we are way past that point. I told the lady to charge me full price which she did and ran my card before he could come over to the register.

He knew he messed up big time at this point. I asked him to flip his name over on his badge so I could read it and he started to walk away. No matter I got his name form the pharmacist tech and oh did I have a song to sing walking out of that store from the back of pharmacy to the front door and the drunk homeless people littered about the front door you had to step over to get in the front door. This has happened a lot lately it seems when I go to stores. Not the run in with the manager but a lot of mis-priced items that if you are not careful when you check out, you end up paying more than what the signs say. I went to buy some bottled water at the grocery store the other night and the sign clearly said 10/$10 on Evian water, bring it up and it rings $2.49 a piece. Bag boy runs to the sign, brings it back, says it is for Dasani...I said was it hanging under the Evian water? He says yes but the stock boy misplaced the sign. I don't fuss with kids in retail, I just left but it's annoying beyond all. I feel like a thief every time when i just want to pay the bill. Now I do not have this issue at Costco but that place is a pain to run in and just grab 3 or 4 things. I really want to call corporate and roast this guy but what is it gonna solve? He might get a slap on the wrist but he marches on.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's amazing how frequently people like this are in front of me in the checkout line when all I want is some tic tacs.

Here is the deal...I got sick this week with bronchitis, went to the doctor, he put me on antibiotics and a couple other things, drop my prescriptions off around 9:00PM, come back about 11:00 later that night to pick them up. My wife was starting to catch what I had and she of course asked me to pick up some little boxed candy so we could curl up when I got home and watch a movie. She likes the swedish fish and also gummy bears. I grab 2 boxes of the swedish fish, 1 bag of gummy bears, they all are clearly marked 3/$4 and I take them over to the cashier at the pharmacy so I can pick up my drugs and get home. Nice gal behind the counter rings up the candy, Rx are free with insurance, total was about $6. I said I think the candy is 3/$4...she says let me get a mgr to do a price check. We wait...she calls him again and this little man waddles to the back and I just politely tell him the candy is always marked 3/$4 and it's ringing up wrong. He says "let me take a look 1st and see what they really cost." As if I was lying to him. And honestly I was already starting to get irritable now. He can clearly see me standing there white as a ghost, nose running, just want to grab this stuff and get the hell out of there. So he asks if I can walk with him to where I found the candy. So I actually do walk him over there and show him. He then says "Well they are not exact matches even though they are 3/$4." Meaning he is now saying that I am mixing and matching. I said well you knew that before you made me walk with you halfway across the store. So we start exchanging unpleasantries back to the Pharmacy counter. He says he "really doesn't feel like he should give me the discount but that he will make an exception" as we got back to the counter and that was it for me. I told the pretty lady behind the counter, "just charge me full freight!" This guy has had plenty of time to right this situation and since he keeps telling me that corporate doesn't like this and that, maybe I'll just call corporate tomorrow and find out what the rules are myself. You have made me feel like a liar, thief, and you don't know the 1st thing about customer service. He tried to have the clerk take the discount off, I said we are way past that point. I told the lady to charge me full price which she did and ran my card before he could come over to the register. He knew he messed up big time at this point. I asked him to flip his name over on his badge so I could read it and he started to walk away. No matter I got his name form the pharmacist tech and oh did I have a song to sing walking out of that store from the back of pharmacy to the front door and the drunk homeless people littered about the front door you had to step over to get in the front door. This has happened a lot lately it seems when I go to stores. Not the run in with the manager but a lot of mis-priced items that if you are not careful when you check out, you end up paying more than what the signs say. I went to buy some bottled water at the grocery store the other night and the sign clearly said 10/$10 on Evian water, bring it up and it rings $2.49 a piece. Bag boy runs to the sign, brings it back, says it is for Dasani...I said was it hanging under the Evian water? He says yes but the stock boy misplaced the sign. I don't fuss with kids in retail, I just left but it's annoying beyond all. I feel like a thief every time when i just want to pay the bill. Now I do not have this issue at Costco but that place is a pain to run in and just grab 3 or 4 things. I really want to call corporate and roast this guy but what is it gonna solve? He might get a slap on the wrist but he marches on.
The guy is some poor schmuck working a bunch of hours for not a lot of pay. His life already sucks. Then he has an area manager working him over on whatever silly ####### rule they have today that pisses off customers. He has no real power and he tired to give you the discount despite that obviously being a corporate rule issue. Of course by then you were in full high dudgeon and couldn't accept that you already won. So yeah call whoever, make the guys life worse because he gave you what you wanted but you were too high and mighty to take it.

It was definitely sensible to make a big scene over a $2 box of candy. When heroic people like you fail to act, that's how guys like Hitler get started.

Anything short of a picture of the sign and a penny and I will not believe this

it does look like k-y is 50% off with a card for anyone interested

I have mixed and matched at my Walgreens, and I usually get the discount, but I certainly wouldn't fight with somebody over a couple of bucks.

As far as the signs being misplaced, it happens all the time. That's why you have to read them. I don't see what the big deal is. You get to the register, they tell you to get another one, you go get it. It's certainly not worth getting upset about. Humanity is imperfect. People working at a store making almost no money to do a job which is miserable in the first place because they have to deal with the public have enough problems without people yelling at them over a couple of bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread