What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Griffin signs 3 year extension with Jets (1 Viewer)

LOL. Right after I traded him in DYNASTY of course. 

This is great news. Could be Waller 2.0, honestly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Griifin isn't anything special, if anything this means more 2 TE sets in the future. Herndon is still going to be the top TE weapon due to athleticism and hands in 2020 barring injury.

Jets signed TE Ryan Griffin to a multi-year contract extension.

Griffin was expected to be a backup in 2019, but Chris Herndon's suspension and injuries derailed his season, allowing Griffin to start. The fill-in tight end has averaged 27 yards per game with an 83% catch rate. Contract details aren't out yet, but this could be an overreaction to last week's 109-yard game when he was left wide open multiple times against the Redskins. Griffin does not have a 500-yard season through 6.5 years.

Link
Personally I kinda agree with Roto, unless the contract is super friendly why are you signing him now (3/10.8, $4 guaranteed)? What does he do better than the other cheap TEs out there/draft pick?

Griifin isn't anything special, if anything this means more 2 TE sets in the future. Herndon is still going to be the top TE weapon due to athleticism and hands in 2020 barring injury.

Personally I kinda agree with Roto, unless the contract is super friendly why are you signing him now (3/10.8, $4 guaranteed)? What does he do better than the other cheap TEs out there/draft pick?
The Jets need all the help they can get. He's nothing special but gives a decent outlet to a QB they need to develop. 

And really this isn't much. That's Ed Dickson money. 

That is a “cheap” TE contract really.

Seriously.  One less "need" for Douglas, let him focus on the 24 others.  We already let a perfectly good KR and PK walk last year.  It's the little things.
Its bottom of the barrel starter money. He isnt great or really good, he is just OK.He has been in the league a long time and is almost 30. He is what he is. 

I'm playing him today. He will get 2 catches for 16 yards. lol 

Ryan Griffin (illness) is questionable for Week 14 against Miami.

Griffin got in limited practice reps the last two days. Players rarely miss games to illness, so it'd be surprising if Griffin didn't suit up. Even at less than 100 percent, Griffin's matchup makes him one of the better tight end plays this week.

Dec 6, 2019, 7:12 PM ET

Its bottom of the barrel starter money. He isnt great or really good, he is just OK.He has been in the league a long time and is almost 30. He is what he is. 

I'm playing him today. He will get 2 catches for 16 yards. lol 
I dropped him this week in dynasty (somewhat deep benches for non IDP) for Delanie Walker. I wouldn't bet on Walker doing much next year but he has a much better chance of being FF relevant.

I dropped him this week in dynasty (somewhat deep benches for non IDP) for Delanie Walker. I wouldn't bet on Walker doing much next year but he has a much better chance of being FF relevant.
The Jets were just blocking the Patriots from having him next year.

I think.

That's some jujitsu going on in the NY FO. 

eat* Seriously, this is a knock on Herndon's sort of checkered past. They can't be all-in on the kid, because he's already shown he'll be unfit to participate in games and practice in some form or another. 

Would you play a sick Griffin over a healthy:

- Vance McDonald
- Kaden Smith
- Mike Gesicki
- Noah Fant
- Tyler Higbee
- Jimmy Graham

??

- Vance McDonald
- Kaden Smith
- Mike Gesicki
- Noah Fant
- Tyler Higbee
- Jimmy Graham

??
Flip a 7 sided coin.

Jets have 3 of their top 5 DBs out (might prove to be an upgrade?) so I can see Gesicki continuing his TD streak at worst.  That's who I'm rolling with this week at least.

- Vance McDonald
- Kaden Smith
- Mike Gesicki
- Noah Fant
- Tyler Higbee
- Jimmy Graham

??
I wouldn't play him over Gesicki right now. I know the Jets have been tough against TE's this year, but it seems like it's more because teams are not needing to use TE's against them. Gesicki has 14 targets and 2 TD's over the last 2 weeks. 

I wouldn't play him over Gesicki right now. I know the Jets have been tough against TE's this year, but it seems like it's more because teams are not needing to use TE's against them. Gesicki has 14 targets and 2 TD's over the last 2 weeks. 
He also had a big game against the Jets a few weeks back.

Jets TE Ryan Griffin (illness) is active for Week 14 against the Dolphins.

As is Demaryius Thomas (hamstring). Shockingly consistent in the second half of the season, Griffin remains in the TE1 mix for a tissue-soft matchup with the Dolphins.

Dec 8, 2019, 11:32 AM ET

Jets TE Ryan Griffin was forced from Sunday's game against the Dolphins with an ankle injury and is doubtful to return.

"Doubtful" almost always means done for the day. Battling an illness coming into the game, Griffin got rolled up early. He had just one catch for eight yards before going down. Daniel Brown will finish out the game in the seam.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Dec 8, 2019, 1:39 PM ET

Ryan Griffin (ankle) won't play in Week 15 against the Ravens.

Demaryius Thomas (hip/knee, doubtful) and Bilal Powell (ankle, out) are also expected to sit this one out. Daniel Brown will presumably work as an every-down tight end for Griffin, but he can't possibly be trusted outside of single-game DFS slates. Fantasy players should look to avoid this offense on Thursday.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Dec 11, 2019, 2:26 PM ET

Jets placed TE Ryan Griffin on injured reserve with an ankle injury, ending his season.

The Jets gave Griffin a few days to see if he could get healthy, but he evidently wasn't making enough progress. This was always going to be an I.R. situation unless the Jets were confident he would miss only one game. Playing in his age-29 season, Griffin had something of a career campaign, but it still only amounted to 34/320/5. Things would have been different were Chris Herndon healthy. The Jets still saw enough to give Griffin a new three-year deal late last month. Despite his new contract, Griffin won't be a top-24 tight end option to begin the offseason drafting season. He turns 30 in January. Daniel Brown will take Griffin's role to end 2019.

Dec 12, 2019, 3:55 PM ET

Ryan Griffin underwent ankle surgery last week and faces a six-month recovery.

Griffin is slated to have his cast removed next month. Assuming the normal recovery time, Griffin won't see much if any involvement during OTAs, though his ankle should be about back to normal by the time training camp kicks off in late July. The UConn alum was having a breakout year before he got hurt, accounting for a career-high five touchdowns while filling the void left by injured starter Chris Herndon (ribs).

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Dec 30, 2019, 11:40 AM ET

Jets exercised their one-year option on TE Ryan Griffin.

He'll be back for the 2020 season and will be competing with Chris Herndon for No. 1 tight end duties. The Jets rewarded Griffin with a three-year extension in the middle of last season when he compiled a 34-320-5 receiving line across 13 games. A 30-year-old with limited career production, Griffin will be an uninspiring late-round pick in summer fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Mar 21, 2020, 11:17 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread