What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Matthews owners. Have you cut bait or are you holding? (1 Viewer)

Injured again....I cannot believe folks were drafting this turd at top of first round just last year....lol
I remember rotoworld putting him #3 overall I believe and hyping him as the guy who will win the most fantasy titles. I bought in completely, I mean he finished #7 in less than a full season when splitting time! what a huge fall and I honestly think he still has the talent just not quite sure if there's some behind the scenes things where he now gets used so little

I'm no expert, but the fall/hit causing the injury didn't seem like it would have created a high-degree concussion. I wouldn't be surprised if he were back next week. That being said, I'm disappointing this happened as he was coming off a decent game in Week 3 where he went over 100yds from scrimmage and I was hopeful it would lead to a bigger role this week. I've been trying to sell him wherever I can the last couple weeks, but have had no success.

He's not waiver fodder unless you're in less than 12 man leagues, and he's not start-worthy until something gives (e.g. injury to Woodhead/Brown). However, he is moving his way up list of first player gone if that keeps up.

I'm holding him just because I picked up Woodhead after week one to back him up. This past week was the first I pulled him out for Woodhead (Danny played in my flex the past couple of weeks). I could see if I owned just Matthews how I would want to drop him.

I'm no expert, but the fall/hit causing the injury didn't seem like it would have created a high-degree concussion. I wouldn't be surprised if he were back next week. That being said, I'm disappointing this happened as he was coming off a decent game in Week 3 where he went over 100yds from scrimmage and I was hopeful it would lead to a bigger role this week. I've been trying to sell him wherever I can the last couple weeks, but have had no success.

He's not waiver fodder unless you're in less than 12 man leagues, and he's not start-worthy until something gives (e.g. injury to Woodhead/Brown). However, he is moving his way up list of first player gone if that keeps up.
All great points!!! I have been trying to package him in basically everything I've offered others, even as just a throw in...nada! Pretty sure all Matthews owners have same experience. I was hoping 2 good showings in a row would change that, but the dreaded concussion came to zap that...he is boarding the "I will cut him if I have to get someone to cover a bye week" though.

Agree with all this just not sure something did not already give with the bolded part. In week 4 Brown only got 5 offensive snaps and it looked to me like they were moving to more of a 2 headed RBBC instead of a 3 headed one.

Can't tell from last nights game if week 4 was a sign of things to come or an anomaly because even if Mathews had not got concussed last night it looked like he was in for a low workload, which I assume had something to do with him getting added to injury report Friday with the hamstring.

I remember rotoworld putting him #3 overall I believe and hyping him as the guy who will win the most fantasy titles. I bought in completely
i was helping a noob friend draft last year and we took too long with our first pick, #6 and the site autopicked Mattews for us. the rest of the draft went fine but i know he was doomed.

I remember rotoworld putting him #3 overall I believe and hyping him as the guy who will win the most fantasy titles. I bought in completely
i was helping a noob friend draft last year and we took too long with our first pick, #6 and the site autopicked Mattews for us. the rest of the draft went fine but i know he was doomed.
He has the talent, you don't go in the first and have 1400 yds in 14 games without it, but yeah his injuries and now his utilization by his coaches are crippling any fantasy value he might have. I'd love to see them stop using Brown and keep Mathews in on some passing downs/play action so its not so painfully obvious that they are going to run when hes in.

He has the talent, you don't go in the first and have 1400 yds in 14 games without it, but yeah his injuries and now his utilization by his coaches are crippling any fantasy value he might have. I'd love to see them stop using Brown and keep Mathews in on some passing downs/play action so its not so painfully obvious that they are going to run when hes in.
In Week 4, Brown only had one carry IIRC and seemed on his way to being phased out. Whether that was actually the case was made uncertain by Mathew's injury in Week 5. Like you've described, he is in a similar situation to Ingram the past few years where he is only in on obvious run situations, and as a result the defense stacks the box against him or is at least prepared for the run. In this case Woodhead plays the role of Sproles.

Keep in mind the OC is Ken Whisenhunt who murdered the fantasy value of the RBs in Arizona the past few years using similar tactics. That signals to me the situation isn't going to change anytime soon, if ever.

It was good to see him get a heavy workload, but his usage is criminal. In the first quarter the safety blatantly jogged up before the snap and hit him in the backfield unblocked. I guess that's why the play action works so damn well when he's in the game.

Why the f*** Woodhead was getting carries on 1st and goal at the 10 is simply beyond me.

After last night, I am seriously thinking of dropping this guy for B. Jacobs at this point.
He had 100+ yds. He's not being used that much but he looked very good out there, don't know why anyone would drop him at this point.
I certainly hope thats the trend and not just a fluke game. I have held him all this time so it would be nice if that paid off now that Spiller and Chris Johnson are struggling

i would sell high while you can... the chargers executed a perfect gameplan last night and jut chewed up clock.... woodhead is not going anywhere and will continue to limit mathews going forward.... i'd suggest sending offers to the murray owners selling high (JMO)

Looked like the best guy on the field last night. I agree with FF Ninja, the USE (or non-use) of this guy is criminal. Put him on the Niners, Texans, Rams, or some other team as the clear RB and he would easily be a top 12-15 RB with upside.

Irony is probably the wrong word to use here but for the 1st tiem, he is healthy and running with power and explosiveness and for whatever reason I am seeing Danny Woodhead and Ronnie Brown on the filed as much as Matthews. Disgusting. I get the idea with Woodhead but do it the right way. Use him as a sawed-off version of Sproles or Welker but don't line him up 7 yards deep in the Straight I formation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woodhead use is a joke as well. I couldnt believe they actually tried running him up the gut from the 10 yard line with a back like Mathews on the sideline. The play went nowhere which was to be expected. Dude has no push or power.

Woodhead use is a joke as well. I couldnt believe they actually tried running him up the gut from the 10 yard line with a back like Mathews on the sideline. The play went nowhere which was to be expected. Dude has no push or power.
Exactly.....that's not Woodhead's game. He does run hard though. But you use Woodhead in space just like Sproles.

If you have Woodhead in the game inside the 10, you better be spreading the formation.

That said, Mathews looked very good. Hopefully SD coaching staff figured that out.

After last night, I am seriously thinking of dropping this guy for B. Jacobs at this point.
He had 100+ yds. He's not being used that much but he looked very good out there, don't know why anyone would drop him at this point.
I certainly hope thats the trend and not just a fluke game. I have held him all this time so it would be nice if that paid off now that Spiller and Chris Johnson are struggling
we will see what he can do vs Jax on the road.

Well, he does have decent power if you are talking about a game between the smurfs v. lilliputians.

Well my cooler head prevailed and I never dropped him. Realized that the frustration was just shinning through and needed to step back. Whew!

Just acquired him and was pleased with what I saw last night. Woodhead looked quick and effective last night....although I was encouraged by two things that I saw....First, Woodhead got blasted by a blitzing linebacker who sacked Rivers. And second, when the Chargers had to run the ball at the end of the game, and everyone in the stadium knew it was a run - Matthews got the ball....and ran with power while picking up very critical first downs.

I think he is a fine rb2 and if he can get on the field, even a little more, his value will skyrocket.

i would sell high while you can... the chargers executed a perfect gameplan last night and jut chewed up clock.... woodhead is not going anywhere and will continue to limit mathews going forward.... i'd suggest sending offers to the murray owners selling high (JMO)
Sell high now, or after next week against JAX?

Sell high now, or after next week against JAX?
you are probably right, a decent chance at stringing two good games together... good point!

Mathews is literally the epitome as to why opportunity trumps talent for fantasy purposes. The dude has RB1 upside and that's clearly undeniable. The fact that a guy like Powell who is admittedly "just a guy" will likely be consistently more productive than Mathews moving forward (in PPR with Goodson going down) is a testament to this.

It was good to see that SD has the ability to control the game/TOP when the match-up calls for it but I still envision quite a few games where Rivers will have to sling it, or they'll be in hurry up mode and Woodhead will be "the guy".

If he can stay healthy, I REALLY want to see him on a team that features him in the future.

Breesisdaman said:
yea thing about Matthews, he looked good out there but he gets no GL and he get's no catches... that's death for ppr fantasy.... Woodhead,gio,ellington,sproles can all be studs while guys like shonn greene, matthews, ingram, beenie turner all suck cuz of no WR ability. Until matthews gets some 3rd down work he is garbage in ppr...

I'm trying to buy him for Cobb in a keeper league to a team that needs keepers and is 1-5. Not real hopeful on his prospects but crazy things happen and he's getting touches and has talent.

He's a free agent in my league. Debating picking him up, but torn between Mathews, Joe Randle or Brandon Jacobs

He's a free agent in my league. Debating picking him up, but torn between Mathews, Joe Randle or Brandon Jacobs
Both of those guys Randle and Jacob are on Waivers (redraft) No way am dropping Mathews for them. I am dropping Dwayne Bowe for them. If my only choice was Mathews they would stay on waivers or someone else would grab them. They are not in a permanent situation to continue their production for one thing.

Users who are viewing this thread