What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryquell “Rock” Armstead, RB Temple (1 Viewer)

Bojang0301

Omar4Heisman
Saving this for profile.

Highlights

Posted what would have been the second highest speed score amongst the RB’s taken in the first two round in the 2018 draft today.

Temple RB Ryquell Armstead ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial 4.45 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Fantastic run by Armstead. The 5-foot-11, 220-pounder is an aces competitor who plays with the physical mentality to allow him to bust through contact in close quarters. That he also has the requisite wheels for the pro game -- at his size -- makes his overall profile all the more appealing for a middle-round selection. He earlier performed well during the Reese's Senior Bowl practice week. Thus far, Armstead has done nothing but himself through the evaluating process.

SOURCE: Jonah Tuls on Twitter

Mar 1, 2019, 12:01 PM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler would like Temple RB Ryquell Armstead "a heck of a lot more if he could catch."

Armstead (5'11/220) improved his draft stock after running a 4.45-second forty, but there are reasons why he's still viewed as a Day 2/3 prospect. One of the biggest concerns (especially if you are here for fantasy football) is his struggles as a receiver. Armstead only caught 8-of-13 targets for a whopping 52 yards (4 YPT) last season, making him one of the most one-dimensional backs in this poor running back class.

SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Mar 4, 2019, 6:34 PM

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compared Temple RB Ryquell Armstead to Baltimore Ravens RB Alex Collins.

Zierlein refers to Armstead as a "[f]ace-first runner who doesn't appear to care that brakes come standard with the vehicle" and notes that the 5-foot-11, 220-pounder's "size, decisiveness and effort in pass protection should land him work as a backup," with some upside beyond that if his pro acclimation goes smoothly. We're big fans of Armstead's running style 'round these parts when it comes to potential sleepers in this class.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 7, 2019, 6:02 PM

Fantasy Labs' Adam Levitan notes that Temple RB Ryquell Armstead met 4-of-6 minimum thresholds for fantasy football success.

Armstead failed Levitan's jumping thresholds after posting 30-inch and 114-inch vertical and broad jumps. Explosion is certainly lacking, but Armstead (5'11/220) is plenty powerful and should have an opportunity to earn some touches as a committee back. At Temple, Armstead eclipsed 900 yards and 13 touchdowns twice.

SOURCE: DK Playbook

Apr 13, 2019, 1:31 PM

Jaguars selected Temple RB Ryquell Armstead with the No. 140 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Armstead (5’11/220) operated as a committee member his first three seasons before taking over as the Owls’ featured back in 2018, tallying 210/1,098/13 (5.2 YPC) rushing in ten games and missing time with an ankle injury. Armstead recorded one of the top Speed Scores in this year’s running back class by blazing 4.45 at 220 pounds in Indy, although his broad jump (9’6") and three-cone time (7.02) were less than stellar. On tape, Armstead is a decisive, downhill mover who runs with force but lacks make-you-miss shake. He also caught only 29 passes in 47 college games. Armstead reminds of a poor man’s C.J. Anderson as a probable two-down grinder with low-end starter upside.

Apr 27, 2019, 11:55 AM

I like him a lot. He's just a big ### plodder with zero hands. You almost get a Marshawn Lynch vibe from him, with how angry he runs. Anyone with a set of eyes can see that Leonard Fournette is slowly losing fanfare in Jacksonville.

There's probably nothing here but pushed into action in Week 10 or later and this guy would be able to plod for over 100 yards against injured defenses - teams that are tanking. I don't suggest anybody actually draft this guy, but he's somebody that you keep in the back of your mind to have a Peyton Hillis type playoff run.

Jaguars placed RB Ryquell Armstead (hamstring) on the active/PUP list.

Armstead sat out mandatory minicamp with what was termed as a "slight" hamstring injury. That was 47 days ago. The No. 140 overall pick has a shot at earning No. 2 duties, but this is not going to help his cause.

Jul 23, 2019, 4:19 PM ET

Jaguars activated RB Ryquell Armstead from the active/PUP list.

Armstead missed last month's minicamp with a slight hamstring injury but seems to have put that issue behind him. He'll be on hand for Jacksonville's first training camp practice on Thursday. The fifth-round rookie is hoping to carve out a backup role behind third-year workhorse Leonard Fournette.

SOURCE: John Oehser on Twitter

Jul 25, 2019, 11:29 AM ET

Ryquell Armstead rushed eight times for 18 yards in the Jaguars' third preseason game.

He also "added" three receptions for -1 yards. It was that kind of night in Miami. Armstead was operating as Leonard Fournette's clear-cut backup, but it was only because Alfred Blue (ankle) was sidelined. Armstead could still emerge the victor of that competition, but it will only produce fantasy value if (when?) Fournette misses time with injury.

Aug 22, 2019, 11:48 PM ET

So, is this the guy to get if you are going to handcuff Leonard Fournette?

As the preseason is progressing, it seems like this is the go-to handcuff.    I don't believe in handcuffing in many cases, but in situations with known injury risks, I think strongly about it, *IF*  I like the situation around him.

So many are saying Fournette could be a league winner this year.  I think he could well be in for a big year too, IF he can stay healthy.

I will definitely be taking a hard look at a possible handcuff, if I snag Fournette..... and for now it seems like "Rock" Armstead may be the one to monitor closely.

TZM

He's now officially Fournette's backup with A Blue on IR, and the only other RB on the JAX roster, so the coaching staff must have some faith in him.

I'm thinking of putting in BB waiver of $15 for him this week, as I'm sure the LF owner is aware of this situation. 

But I know zero about this guy, only that his situation looks promising.

He's now officially Fournette's backup with A Blue on IR, and the only other RB on the JAX roster, so the coaching staff must have some faith in him.
They claimed RBs Ervin (from Baltimore) and Ozigbo (rookie from the Saints) on Sunday, so they are also on the roster. Armstead, though, is the backup to Fournette to start the season.

They claimed RBs Ervin (from Baltimore) and Ozigbo (rookie from the Saints) on Sunday, so they are also on the roster. Armstead, though, is the backup to Fournette to start the season.
That makes sense, hard to believe they were going into the season with two RBs.

Ozigbo is going to be the backup before long 
So, likely a RBBC if LF goes down.  I think I'll hold off on WW claim for now.

Good info - Thanks!

Draft position pretty much goes out the window as soon as training camp starts, especially with guys drafted later.

Ultimately, whoever wins the backup job will have performed better.

Once you're the #2, things can happen to spike your value. 

Ozingbo is not good. That's what you say after a guy goes undrafted and then can't make the team which he signed with. I know the guy has something of a cult following but so does the Monty Python and that movie sucks too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ozingbo is not good. That's what you say after a guy goes undrafted and then can't make the team which he signed with. I know the guy has something of a cult following but so does the Monty Python and that movie sucks too. 
That I don't agree with.  The Saints wanted him on the practice squad because they have depth at RB.  Ozigbo CHOSE to go to Jacksonville because he sees a path to playing. 

Draft position pretty much goes out the window as soon as training camp starts, especially with guys drafted later.

Ultimately, whoever wins the backup job will have performed better.

Once you're the #2, things can happen to spike your value. 
I agree with all of this and right now it's not far fetched to say Ozibo will pass Armstead on the depth chart but it should seem obvious that the Jaguar front office and staff preferred Armstead. It couldn't actually be more obvious.

That of course does not mean they were right. I own each in two different leagues so I'm ok with whatever way it turns out, but right now I likely would not move Armstead for Ozibgbo if I was offer that trade, as he seems a better fit for what Jacksonville wants to do.

@cloppbeast   Don't it sound like apples to oranges ?  Ozingbo sure sounds like a cop back  (Sparingly used but soft hands)  Whereas above Armstead is compared CJ Anderson

Not seeing anything special here, but he definitely has value as Fournette's handcuff given the injury history. 

I love handcuffs but is Rock a legit handcuff?  Or will he get 10-12 carries and 0-1 receptions per game if Fournette gets hurt?

And Saquan looked indestructible.

While I love LF....too many soft tissue and ankle issues in the past.

And there schedule really eases up and looks great in the playoffs

Last edited by a moderator:
Could anyone with some insight weigh in on Fournette's contract situation?  Asking for keeper/dynasty considerations for Armstead - not that I am trying to crown him the future of anything!

If I have my facts straight, the guarantees for Fournette's contract have been voided.  He's in year 3 of his rookie deal.  So it's possible (presuming if he is injured) he could be cut after this season?  $8.6 million cap hit for '20, and a fifth year option for '21.

Am I analyzing this contract situation too much?

Could anyone with some insight weigh in on Fournette's contract situation?  Asking for keeper/dynasty considerations for Armstead - not that I am trying to crown him the future of anything!

If I have my facts straight, the guarantees for Fournette's contract have been voided.  He's in year 3 of his rookie deal.  So it's possible (presuming if he is injured) he could be cut after this season?  $8.6 million cap hit for '20, and a fifth year option for '21.

Am I analyzing this contract situation too much?
And yes guarantees are voided....

2019 Salary Cap Charge: $7,404,786

% of 2019 Team Cap: 3.68%

2019 Cash Payout: $2,933,262

% of 2019 Team Cash Spending: 1.49%

2019 Cash to Cap Ratio: 0.40

Total Contract Value: $27,150,882

Annual Contract Value: $6,786,894

Position Ranking: 8/155 at RB

Fully Guaranteed Money: $27,150,882

Height: 6' 0"

Weight: 240

College: LSU

Accrued Seasons: 2

Entry: 2017 Draft, Round 1, #4 overall (Jaguars)

Year Signed: 2017

Contract Type: Drafted

Free Agency: 2021, pending fifth year option (UFA)

Even without the guarantees I'm not sure why they would want to cut Fournette, their workhorse, on a rookie contract unless he blows up off the field again.

Dear Rock Armstead, I love ya but I'm afraid this is where our relationship ends.  I will definitely consider picking you up in a few weeks if you are available.

This is one of my targets for "end of bench stash" for the rest of season.

I'll post the majority of what I said in the "playoff push" thread that @Wrigley started.     https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/781413-the-playoff-push/?do=findComment&comment=22254462

RYQUELL ROCK ARMSTEAD -  Check out the workload Fournette has been getting. Its unreal the carries he has been getting, and I'm betting if he goes down, Armstead would get a bunch of work also. (To the extent Fournette is???? doubtful, but still) Armstead is a big bruising back, that should get goal line work then too. Fantasy playoffs???? Check .  WEEK 14 - CHARGERS , WEEK 15 - OAK , WEEK 16 - ATL .   More fantasy playoff schedule juiciness. Here is another back, that is merely  1% OWNED ON YAHOO. I can't believe hes owned much more than that anywhere, except dynasty rosters.  If you are a Fournette owner and don't have him cuffed right now with Armstead , then don't come back here #####ing if something happens to Fournette.  Oh yeah, Fournette,.......... does he have an injury history?????    :lol:

Fournette is simply getting a huge workload, and even though I don't expect it to be quite the same if Armstead gets a chance due to injury, it should still be a strong week to week opportunity.  If Fournette goes down, everyone will be running to get Rock.  I'll already have him, and will be told "you are so lucky, how do you get these guys?".

TZM

If Fournette goes down, everyone will be running to get Rock. 
Perhaps in many leagues this is true.

In my league, the Kerryon owner and I were the only two to submit a claim for Ty Johnson.  I grabbed him thinking he'd be a great flip candidate, but that's kinda hard to do if other teams weren't even interested for their last bench guy.

YMMV of course gut I'd expect Armstead to garner about the same level of interest.

I'll post the majority of what I said in the "playoff push" thread that @Wrigley started.     https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/781413-the-playoff-push/?do=findComment&comment=22254462

RYQUELL ROCK ARMSTEAD -  Check out the workload Fournette has been getting. Its unreal the carries he has been getting, and I'm betting if he goes down, Armstead would get a bunch of work also. (To the extent Fournette is???? doubtful, but still) Armstead is a big bruising back, that should get goal line work then too. Fantasy playoffs???? Check .  WEEK 14 - CHARGERS , WEEK 15 - OAK , WEEK 16 - ATL .   More fantasy playoff schedule juiciness. Here is another back, that is merely  1% OWNED ON YAHOO. I can't believe hes owned much more than that anywhere, except dynasty rosters.  If you are a Fournette owner and don't have him cuffed right now with Armstead , then don't come back here #####ing if something happens to Fournette.  Oh yeah, Fournette,.......... does he have an injury history?????    :lol:

Fournette is simply getting a huge workload, and even though I don't expect it to be quite the same if Armstead gets a chance due to injury, it should still be a strong week to week opportunity.  If Fournette goes down, everyone will be running to get Rock.  I'll already have him, and will be told "you are so lucky, how do you get these guys?".

TZM
Co-sign.  I agree with all of this. 

TZM
Sure sounds like you are wishing for an injury to Fournette. This is hinting around it without saying it, but you said it. 

Users who are viewing this thread