What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

S.O.S Emphasis (1 Viewer)

Rubi

Footballguy
How much importance do you put into a player's perceived strength of schedule when drafting? Do you look that far down the road to the "playoff weeks" in your league? Would you or have you ever opted for one player over another based on the S.O.S. factor? Curious as to what the sharks on this board think of S.O.S.

I don't pay attention to s.o.s. for the bulk of the season.

I will look at Week 14-16 matchups. Mostly, I am concerned with locations. In 2009, Matt Ryan had to play the Jets at the Meadowlands late in the season. Outdoors in a windy stadium vs a good defense was going to equal trouble I thought.

Ryan didn't do much in that game until the final drive.

I drafted Ryan that season but made sure I had a backup who had a better matchup that particular week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't pay attention to s.o.s. for the bulk of the season.I will look at Week 14-16 matchups. Mostly, I am concerned with locations. In 2009, Matt Ryan had to play the Jets at the Meadowlands late in the season. Outdoors in a windy stadium vs a good defense was going to equal trouble I thought.Ryan didn't do much in that game until the final drive.I drafted Ryan that season but made sure I had a backup who had a better matchup that particular week.

Good point on the "location" factor,hadn't even considered that.

It's a blind spot for me. The most I look at is making sure I can get a TE2/QB2 on bye weeks of my TE1/QB1. I'm only in one redraft where any shark would have a feeding frenzy. can typically adjust for SOS during the draft as needed

I do look at strength of schedule when preparing my draft strategy, but I don't go overboard. Like Jpeso, I keep it in mind when selecting a back-up at key positions (QB, TE), but it only accounts for a little in the determination process. I tend to take a closer look at Defenses and Kickers SOS on draft day. Either way, on draft day, SOS might sway me, it might not.

I tend to keep it in mind more throughout the season as SOS fluctuates drastically for certain positions as the season plays out. Especially for D's and K's. Keeping track of that fluctuation has helped me pick up some awesome D's and K's mid-season through waivers. Those types of moves are often make-or-break moves and can propel you into the playoffs if your team is just middle of the road and skirting the edge of not making the playoffs.

Emphasis on draft day - 20 to 30% on key position backups

Emphasis during season - 60 to 70% when looking at potential waiver moves

Interesting view on Kickers and Def. in regards to S.O.S. once the season starts,curious to know if anyone has plucked a PK or Def. from the waiver wire LATE in the season that made the difference bewteen a so-so or successful season.

Of the top of my head, I consider S.O.S. during the draft in the following order:

1) Making sure my backups don't have the same bye week as my starters, and to a small degree looking at their matchup on that week (i.e. I'd rather my backup QB isn't facing a top D on the week I'll use him).

2) If I'm going QBBC.

3) Looking at divisions for RBs (i.e. RBs playing against the NFC West get a downgrade compared to RBs vs. the AFC West). This mainly comes into play before the draft when making my projections.

4) Looking at playoff matchups. I don't put a lot of weight on this, but I do make a note of particularly good/bad week 15/16 matchups, and use that information to help distinguish players in the same tier during the draft.

Interesting view on Kickers and Def. in regards to S.O.S. once the season starts,curious to know if anyone has plucked a PK or Def. from the waiver wire LATE in the season that made the difference bewteen a so-so or successful season.
Sure, I play the matchups on K and D pretty much all season. Getting even a so-so DST with a great schedule towards the end of the season can be big. During the playoffs, I might even carry 2 DST--at that point a good matchup in week 16 is far more important than your WR4.

Rubi said:
I have been successful with just a couple of late waiver wire D's over the years. Generally though, my pickups are mostly mid-season and SOS plays a role in those pickups.

My league requires 2 additional starters, at any position, during playoff games for use as tie-breakers, if needed. Defenses are more often used than not, surprisingly. I consider this when looking at SOS as I make a playoff push.

Another factor to consider is that most SOS numbers are off - by a lot - until about half way through the season. The number of moving parts on a defense - and how those change in the offseason due to trade, injuries, scheme changes, etc. makes many SOS calculations done early or pre-season VERY limited. It's only about half way through the season that I even look at those numbers.

I tend to only look at playoff match-ups and even then things change rapidly. Some match-ups I most definitely want to avoid like playing at Chicago, Seattle, or San Francisco. This is an area that I think really needs to be explored deeper.

So hypothetically,if you were deciding between Adrian Petersen and Arian Foster,and AP was AT Chicago in week 15 or 16,while AF was AT Indy. Would that be enough of a factor to opt for Foster over AP?

So hypothetically,if you were deciding between Adrian Petersen and Arian Foster,and AP was AT Chicago in week 15 or 16,while AF was AT Indy. Would that be enough of a factor to opt for Foster over AP?
The short answer is no because it's AP. Besides, I'm really down on Foster this year and think he will get hurt and have Ben Tate step in for him. There's a lot nuance involved and I don't understand it all. Here is a NFL.com article someone posted about FF playoff schedules - but it doesn't take into account Tampa Bay's massive retooling of their secondary. What may have been bottom of the barrel last year will be massively different with Revis and Dashon Goldson roaming around back there.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap1000000161588/article/nfl-fantasy-bestworst-fantasy-playoff-schedules

I use it more for mid-tier players and down i.e. Dallas At Chicago may not be the best start for Tony Romo. Might be a wise idea to pair him with a QB that has a favorable matchup that week. I would start Dez Bryant without hesitating.

I'm sure there's more valuable information out there than playoff defense projecting is unpredictable I just don't know where it is.

For FFPC FPC leagues, I set Draft Dominator to weight weeks 1 to 13 since that is reg season and league playoffs. You want to win your league to get that payday, and then only if you are top 2 do you get to the champ rounds 14 to 16

Try it sometime, it will shuffle some key rankings within a position

benbadman said:
For FFPC FPC leagues, I set Draft Dominator to weight weeks 1 to 13 since that is reg season and league playoffs. You want to win your league to get that payday, and then only if you are top 2 do you get to the champ rounds 14 to 16Try it sometime, it will shuffle some key rankings within a position
Very interesting,It's worth a look-see.

Users who are viewing this thread