What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saints QB Situation - Veteran QB's (1 Viewer)

mrhankey

Footballguy
The Saints will probably be taking Matt Leinhart with the #2 pick to be "the future". (I'd much rather see Vince Young but I think Leinhart is a better fit for a Sean Payton coached team. Also, Leinhart is not well liked in the LSU community). With Brooks on the way out and Todd Bouman being..well..Todd Bouman, is there any veteran QB's out there willing to sign a 1 - 2 year deal to be the mentor and immediate starter? I'd love to see Favre come to NO (which is 1 hour away from Kiln) but very unlikely. With Payton being a pocket passer kind of coach, a guy like Kurt Warner may be a good fit for his new offense. Is there any UFA's out there worth a look?

Warner will likely return to the Cardinals. He wants to come back and play with the Cards and the Cards want him back. They're trying to work out a deal and it will likely eventually get done before the FA period. (they're also likely to draft a young QB with the idea that Warner would mentor him.)Your QB pool likely consists of Aaron Brooks, Patrick Ramsey, Brian Greise and Jeff Garcia.

Tommy Maddox may be on the move, for I dont think his services will be needed on the Steelers after being demoted to #2 behing Charlie Batch, that could be an avenue to search.

Tommy Maddox may be on the move, for I dont think his services will be needed on the Steelers after being demoted to #2 behing Charlie Batch, that could be an avenue to search.
I agree that Maddox is gone from the Steelers but after his abysmal performances this year I doubt he is brought in to hold down the fort while mentoring a young QB.On the other hand, bringing him in to start 1 or 2 games before he gets hurt and then replacing him with a rookie QB worked out well for the Steelers. :P

I like the idea of Kitna & Leinhart together, but with C. Palmer's injury I think Cincy will keep Kitna around. Ramsey could be an option with the added benefit of being a Tulane grad. I hope Ramsey gets a legit shot somewhere, maybe he can compete in Miami or Baltimore if not in N.O.. I do think the Saints will bring in a seasoned veteran (of course Mr. Benson does nothing logically) and let Aaron Brooks go. Maybe Payton will meet with Brooks and like the guy, but many Saints fans have given up on him. Where's Doug Flutie when you need him!!! Who knows, maybe Archie will come out of retirement and we can have 3 Mannings in the NFL!!!

Is Brooks a free agent? If not, the most logical move is to keep Brooks as the starter and bring along Leinert. If Leinert looks good or Brooks looks really bad, then they can try to move Leinert along more quickly, but make him earn the starting job.

This is not an option, he blows, he is barely a #3 anymore. Tommy needs to go back to selling insurance ASAP... :yucky:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Brooks a free agent? If not, the most logical move is to keep Brooks as the starter and bring along Leinert. If Leinert looks good or Brooks looks really bad, then they can try to move Leinert along more quickly, but make him earn the starting job.
Brooks would kill the lockerroom if he wasnt starting

Is Brooks a free agent?  If not, the most logical move is to keep Brooks as the starter and bring along Leinert.  If Leinert looks good or Brooks looks really bad, then they can try to move Leinert along more quickly, but make him earn the starting job.
Is that known or speculation? I suspect Brooks knows if he is cut, he may not get a starting job elsewhere. So his best shot could be to remain the starter in NO and try to prove himself to the new HC.

Is that known or speculation? I suspect Brooks knows if he is cut, he may not get a starting job elsewhere. So his best shot could be to remain the starter in NO and try to prove himself to the new HC.
Brooks will be a starter somewhere.. unfortunately.

Is Brooks a free agent?  If not, the most logical move is to keep Brooks as the starter and bring along Leinert.  If Leinert looks good or Brooks looks really bad, then they can try to move Leinert along more quickly, but make him earn the starting job.
I'm pretty sure something like him saying goodbye to everyone, him clearing out his locker, ....something took place and he's "gone". Sorry it's late, can't recall

I agree that Maddox is gone from the Steelers but after his abysmal performances this year I doubt he is brought in to hold down the fort while mentoring a young QB.On the other hand, bringing him in to start 1 or 2 games before he gets hurt and then replacing him with a rookie QB worked out well for the Steelers. :P
I think the ridiculous numbers put up by Big Ben have showcased just how bad Maddox really was. He just lucked in to a really nice situation.

I don't think they can afford to keep them both. Brooks is due about $6.5 million next season and another $7.5 million the following season. In this era of salary cap, you cannot tie that much money into a back-up, nevermind the fact the guys doesn't perceive himself as a back-up.Now, my greatest fear is this... Payton is known as a QB guru, so he thinks he can rehab Brooks into an effective QB again. Or, even more incredible, he thinks McPherson is the future. He did it with Bledsoe after all. So he passes on Leinart, dropping down a few spots to grab someone like Hawk at the LB instead. We have no shot at Cutler towards the middle of the draft, so we're resigned to another year of Brooks with McPherson taking over by week 7.

Kitna has much better opportunites than getting benched halfway into the season for Leinart.

Maybe Dilfer?
I'm pretty sure Kitna's already signed that 3 year contract with Detroit in his mind.

My inside guys say Collins.

Good fit,a old vet with a good Off. and a young QB to teach.
I don't have any inside guys, but that was the first guy who came to my mind.A weird option: a healthy Tim Couch.

Does anyone know the status of Steve McNair's contract in Tennessee? Man it would be great if the Saints could sign Steve McNair and draft Vince Young ahead of the Titans. I know this is grasping at straws but we gotta have something to hope for in New Orleans!!

I think Chad Pennington may be an option with Doug Marrone coming from the Jets to be the O.C. I'm not sure what his contract is like, but his disappiontment in NY may get him a ticket out.

Here are the Free Agents at the QB position to help you in your discussion. If anyone has been signed in the last week or 2, you can take them off this list:

Anthony Wright UFA Ravens

Charlie Batch UFA Steelers

Chris Simms RFA Buccaneers

Chris Weinke UFA Panthers

Craig Nall UFA Packers

Damon Huard UFA Chiefs

Dave Ragone RFA Texans

Doug Flutie UFA Patriots

Drew Brees UFA Chargers

Jamie Martin UFA Rams

Jeff Blake UFA Bears

Jeff Garcia UFA Lions

Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers

Jon Kitna UFA Bengals

Josh McCown UFA Cardinals

Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers

Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets

Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals

Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins

Seneca Wallace RFA Seahawks

Shane Matthews UFA Bills

Shaun Hill UFA Vikings

Tim Hasselbeck UFA Giants

Todd Collins UFA Chiefs

Ty Detmer UFA Falcons

Vinny Testaverde UFA Jets

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the Free Agents at the QB position to help you in your discussion. If anyone has been signed in the last week or 2, you can take them off this list:

Craig Nall UFA Packers

Damon Huard UFA Chiefs

Dave Ragone RFA Texans

Doug Flutie UFA Patriots

Drew Brees UFA Chargers

Jamie Martin UFA Rams

Jeff Blake UFA Bears

Jeff Garcia UFA Lions

Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers

Jon Kitna UFA Bengals

Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers

Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets

Shane Matthews UFA Bills

Shaun Hill UFA Vikings

Todd Collins UFA Chiefs

Ty Detmer UFA Falcons

:X :X :X Wow what a list. I didn't even know Shane Matthews was still alive yet active on an NFL roster. Where is Scott Mitchell?

:X :X :X

Wow what a list. I didn't even know Shane Matthews was still alive yet active on an NFL roster. Where is Scott Mitchell?
Well, Tim Couch and Tommy Maddox have been discussed on this thread already so since we're talking about recycling pathetic losers in New Orleans I think we should throw Mitchell in there too............why not..........

Does anyone know the status of Steve McNair's contract in Tennessee? Man it would be great if the Saints could sign Steve McNair and draft Vince Young ahead of the Titans. I know this is grasping at straws but we gotta have something to hope for in New Orleans!!

I think Chad Pennington may be an option with Doug Marrone coming from the Jets to be the O.C. I'm not sure what his contract is like, but his disappiontment in NY may get him a ticket out.
Pennington has something like $26 million coming to him as a Jet. Moreover, Pennington's health has been the only serious knock against him. The Jets have been satisfied with his performance on the field, when he's there of course. I think they will pursue a back-up for him, like a Brooks, possibly.McNair has a large contract which will require him to restructure, likely, if he plans to remain with the Titans. He could retire, of course, but if he doesn't restructure then he is expected to be released. Last I heard, he wants to stay with the Titans. I would be very happy with McNair, as he's from the area and still has some skills. However, I don't see it happening.

Here are the Free Agents at the QB position to help you in your discussion.  If anyone has been signed in the last week or 2, you can take them off this list:

Chris Simms  RFA Buccaneers

Craig Nall UFA Packers

Damon Huard UFA Chiefs

Dave Ragone RFA Texans

Doug Flutie UFA Patriots

Drew Brees UFA Chargers

Jamie Martin UFA Rams

Jeff Blake UFA Bears

Jeff Garcia UFA Lions

Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers

Jon Kitna UFA Bengals

Ken Dorsey  RFA 49ers

Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets

Seneca Wallace  RFA Seahawks

Shane Matthews UFA Bills

Shaun Hill UFA Vikings

Todd Collins UFA Chiefs

Ty Detmer UFA Falcons

:X :X :X Wow what a list. I didn't even know Shane Matthews was still alive yet active on an NFL roster. Where is Scott Mitchell?
Aside from Brees and Kitna (who Cinci has to keep now), it is hard to see how Brooks DOESN'T find a starting gig somewhere next year. Timing is everything and in the world of supply and demand, there are enough teams needing a QB, albeit an erratic one, that make him a little more tempting than most other years. Don't rule out the new NO staff giving him a "fresh start" and "turning the page on the past," thinking they can turn him around again.

Craig Nall UFA Packers

Damon Huard UFA Chiefs

Dave Ragone RFA Texans

Doug Flutie UFA Patriots

Drew Brees UFA Chargers

Jamie Martin UFA Rams

Jeff Blake UFA Bears

Jeff Garcia UFA Lions

Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers

Jon Kitna UFA Bengals

Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers

Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets

Shane Matthews UFA Bills

Shaun Hill UFA Vikings

Todd Collins UFA Chiefs

Ty Detmer UFA Falcons

:X :X :X
:goodposting:

Kerry Collins wasn't too popular during his first stint in New Orleans. I wonder how much history will play into the situaiton.

Users who are viewing this thread