What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sam Bradford - is 2013 his breakout year? (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
I did a quick search and saw not one thread dedicated to him. Rightfully so as his career to date has been underwhelming.

There have been good reasons for that however:

- a revolving door of OC's and offensive schemes to learn.

- no true weapons to work with.

Now he has some things going for him, especially the weapons. With givens, Austin, cook, quick, et al, are we missing the boat on Bradford's potential this year?

He certainly is in a make or break year IMO. He has no excuses not to perform at an elite level now.

Any rams homers have any insight on him?

ETA Stedman bailey as another weapon...as well as Daryl Richardson, who I think will surprise this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never thought he was elite NFL quality like Manning, Brady, Brees, etc. I think Sam could be a QB1 for fantasy purposes but Top 5 is what I consider elite and that's probably not going to happen. Top 12 would be nothing to sneeze at. Expecting that this year would be a bit ambitious. Give him a year or so without having to run for his life and develop a rapport with this new "weapons?"

Speaking of weapons, I don't think anybody is all that great (yet). I do agree Richardson could surprise again this year. Austin and Bailey are rookies so they need to prove their worth IMHO. The rest of them are decent to average to include Cook.

I do think Cook will have a TE1 year though. Sam has always liked his TE's.

I don't think this year is make or break either. The Rams seem very happy to have him as their franchise QB for years to come. He manages games well and doesn't make too many mistakes. He's extremely accurate although I've never been that impressed with his deep balls.

Would love to see a Top 10 season for him though. He's deserves it.

Call me crazy but I'm expecting 4000 yards and 30 Pass TD.
I agree with this.

In part, because I expect the offense to be a lot better, and in part because I think the running game may blow. We may see something very much like we saw with Denver the other night, except the JV version. Big TE who could become a red zone force, couple of tall guys for posts and fades, couple of little jitterbugs operating in space.

I think he's almost a slam dunk to be a QB1 in 12 team formats.

As to whether he can become "elite," I think that'll be out of his control. If it becomes hunting season on running QB's, the Bradfords of the world prosper. If the read-option and its various offspring continue to operate effectively or even expand in scope, it'll be hard to force your way into that top tier as a pocket passer unless you're putting up video game numbers, like the Mannings et al do on a yearly basis.

Also not really sure what the "every year" excuse thing is. He was excellent for a rookie, got hurt during the second, then in his second full year (3rd overall), got significantly better than he was in his already pretty good first one.

Seems like exactly the learning curve you'd want to see from a guy you expected big things out of. :shrug:

I suppose if you wanted to be extremely down on the guy, you could call his injury-plagued second year "an excuse," but even still, two years out of three have been pretty good, and trending upward.

I'm expecting a huge year. So huge that people will talk first round pick next year dynasty wise. His floor is 4500/45 with the weapons he has. Greatest show on turf 2.0. Choo-choo!!!!!

All doubters leave this thread and find the original Bradford thread. Search must have been down.

I'm expecting a huge year. So huge that people will talk first round pick next year dynasty wise. His floor is 4500/45 with the weapons he has. Greatest show on turf 2.0. Choo-choo!!!!!

All doubters leave this thread and find the original Bradford thread. Search must have been down.
He will need 32 games to put up 4500/45

Lol

He's been really flying under the radar this entire preseason. Quiet can mean good or bad. It's just one of the many very intriguing story lines to me or the 2013 season.

And btw when I called this season make or break for Bradford I meant for fantasy purposes not for nfl purposes. For nfl purposes he can mature into a joe flacco and take his team to Super Bowls with a good surrounding cast.

But we all know what flacco is for fantasy. I am hoping Bradford's future is a little brighter than that.

Lol

He's been really flying under the radar this entire preseason. Quiet can mean good or bad. It's just one of the many very intriguing story lines to me or the 2013 season.

And btw when I called this season make or break for Bradford I meant for fantasy purposes not for nfl purposes. For nfl purposes he can mature into a joe flacco and take his team to Super Bowls with a good surrounding cast.

But we all know what flacco is for fantasy. I am hoping Bradford's future is a little brighter than that.
There has been a Bradford SP thread every year. ram homers predict mariokart numbers and other fools join in the bukakke. You have a few unbiased realistic predictions that are shunned. Search and see who is right and who thought the ram OL was the best in the nfl two years ago. Just sayin lol

It's time for Sam Bradford's breakout

Ashley Fox [ARCHIVE]

ESPN.com | September 3, 2013

Realistically, Sam Bradford is going to need more time. The St. Louis Rams' brass knows it. They are prepared to be patient, to take the long view, to continue to build and grow the youngest team in the NFL, one that finally is starting to feel like Bradford's own.

But there is no question inside the Rams that Bradford is the right quarterback to lead the franchise now and moving forward.

"None," St. Louis general manager Les Snead said.

Sam Bradford

#8 QB

St. Louis Rams

2012 STATS

Att

Comp

Yds

TD

Int

Rat

It is time for Bradford to prove it. It is time for him to have a breakout year. It is time for him to have a 4,000-yard passing season. It is time for him to make everyone around him better. And it is time for him to post a winning record, regardless of the Rams' youth at the skill positions on offense.

It is time for it all to come together for the former No. 1 overall draft pick, and I think it will.

Explanations often can sound like excuses, but when it comes to Bradford there are plausible reasons why he has had neither a Matthew Stafford-type statistical season nor the runaway success of Colin Kaepernick, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III or Russell Wilson.

Until now, Bradford, 25, has never had the same offensive coordinator. Pat Shurmur left to become the head coach of the Cleveland Browns after Bradford was the Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2010. Josh McDaniels was fired after the organization decided to clean house following 2011 and start fresh with Jeff Fisher as coach and Snead as the general manager.

That is a lot of upheaval, a lot of learning and relearning. Now Bradford is set to enter Year 2 with Fisher, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti. Bradford understandably feels more comfortable running the offense that he also ran last season. He has helped teach it to the rookies, players like wide receivers Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, and he has become more of a vocal leader. Familiarity often can breed confidence, and it has in Bradford.

AP Photo/Michael Young

Sam Bradford enters Year 2 with Brian Schottenheimer as his offensive coordinator, providing a level of stability the quarterback hasn't had before in the NFL.

Bradford also has more talent around him than he has had in the past. In two years, Snead has overhauled a roster that was populated by a bunch of guys -- upward of 25 -- who after being released by the Rams were not in the league last year. St. Louis lost running back Steven Jackson, but that is a loss it helped facilitate by writing an opt-out clause into his contract prior to last season.

The Rams went out and signed Jake Long to protect Bradford's blind side. They gave $19 million to tight end Jared Cook, who much like Bradford made his money off of promise rather than production. They moved up in the first round of the 2013 draft to select Austin, the best skill position player in the entire draft.

Every move St. Louis has made has been to support and prop up Bradford. The Rams know there is more work to do -- they have two more first-round picks in 2014 -- but they have given Bradford more to work with than ever before.

And it's not as if Bradford was awful while operating with less. He never had a Mark Sanchez-esque season. He is not a turnover machine. He has a strong arm. He is accurate.

Bradford threw for 3,512 yards as a rookie. In 2011, like many other Rams, he struggled with an injury. He never had McDaniels' complete favored personnel group -- including Jackson, wide receiver Danny Amendola and tight ends Michael Hoomanawanui and Lance Kendricks -- for a single snap due to injuries. Last season, Bradford set career highs in passing yards, yards per attempt and touchdown passes.

Although Bradford is surrounded by youth -- the average age of his receivers and running backs is 23 -- it is youth the Rams believe in. There is great potential there.

JOHN CLAYTON'S QB RANKINGS

Part 1, 2013: No. 1 to No. 10

Part 2, 2013: No. 11 to No. 20

Part 3, 2013: No. 21 to No. 32

Create your own QB rankings

Check out where John Clayton ranked the NFL's starting QBs in 2011 and '12:

2011: Brady is leader of the pack

2012: Rodgers tops the chart

"There will be an evolutionary period," Snead said. "Jared Cook to the starting wide receivers will be different, so the more we get on stage and play, the more timing we'll get and the better we will be. But I love the guy [bradford]. Jacked about him. It's an understatement that you can't go find people of his makeup, smarts and talent. They just don't come around."

The questions Snead has don't have anything to do with Bradford.

"The questions are, did we get the right people around him and did we get the right line in front of him?" Snead said. "We're close. I've compared us a little bit to Green Bay. The Packers started young a few years ago, and then they became the Packers. You didn't know who Greg Jennings was. Now you do. That's how I envision us. Aaron [Rodgers] got time to grow."

Rodgers also sat behind Brett Favre for three years, and when he became the starter in 2008, Jennings was entering his third year. Rodgers also had another 1,000-yard receiver in Donald Driver and a 1,000-yard rusher in Ryan Grant.

Bradford doesn't have that, at least not yet. He has players around him with potential. It is up to him to make them better in a division that is the toughest in football, a division in which he went 4-1-1 a season ago. There is nothing in Bradford's past to suggest his future isn't bright, but it is time for him to prove that the future is now.

he is in the same tier as ponder and freeman.

every year will be the year. but always an excuse.
Because the reasons they don't ever address the problems with those guys. They bring in a single receiver like VJax, but the offense is the same pedestrian kind because there isn't the supporting cast to help the star maximize his potential. Bringing in one guy isn't changing the offense. That's why the Chiefs have been the same since before they imported Joey Montana. They bring in one guy (be it QB, RB, or WR) and think that radically changes the game. It doesn't.

But St Louis has gone from 2010 (Bradford's first year) when Daniel Fells was their #1 TE and Mark Clayton was their #1 option at WR to what they have now. Two WRs who have gone through their rookie years and are ready to break out (Givens moreso than Quick) two explosive rookies (admittedly only one will get some prime-time looks), a tight end who has the tools but was horribly misused, and a new breed of backs that are more about speed than power like SJax was.

Tell me, aside from Amendola, who have the Rams had at WR who could make the Rams team this season?

That isn't to say the Rams' WRs are Holt, Bruce and Az Hakim. But people look at Bradford and wonder why he hasn't elevated those around him the way guys like Luck and RG3 have. I contend he has. Brandon Gibson was their WR1 last year. He's now in Miami... as their WR3. Miami. Those guys. And there are two WRs better than him. On Miami.

Did I mention he's now the third fiddle in Miami? Cuz that ain't impressive.

The Rams gutted their roster last season, cutting 32 guys, 24 of whom weren't in the NFL anymore after that. 40% of their roster was not NFL-capable. Coaching change, GM change, 60% of the roster change, youngest roster in the league, and coming off a two-win season. How many wins did you think the Rams were slated for last year. Four.... five, if everything broke well for them? I say Bradford made those around him better... but the baseline was direly low. This year, that baseline is higher because of even more talent being brought in along with some cohesion.

The only variable in this is Schotty. Does he know what to do with these toys? All the chatter from camp is that they've been amazing, but then again.... it's Schotty.

I just read that last year Bradford threw 2 Tds in each meeting against the cards, and that was with crap for wrs and against a ray Horton defense.

This year he has better receivers and ray Horton is gone.

Hmmmm..I'm thinking Bradford might surprise rt out of the gate this year in a better matchup than people think on paper.

I don't think it would be crazy to give him a whirl over a stud with a bad matchup like cam vs Seattle. That's brutal. Bradford might just out score cam this week.

Is that a bold prediction? I think I'm sticking with it!

What about sitting Rodgers vs the 9ers in favor of Bradford...now that's just crazy talk. Can't bench arodg for Bradford lol

lol, people actually high on bradford, just like last year, and year before? ok, i get it, he now has tavon austin and chris givens so he should be an automatic...lol

sorry to rain on your parades but bradford will never be a top 20 qb. good luck playing seattle, san fransicso and arizona defense 6 times a year until he gets released.

I don't think it would be crazy to give him a whirl over a stud with a bad matchup like cam vs Seattle. That's brutal. Bradford might just out score cam this week.

I'm starting Bradford over Cam this week. :cool:

lol, people actually high on bradford, just like last year, and year before? ok, i get it, he now has tavon austin and chris givens so he should be an automatic...lol

sorry to rain on your parades but bradford will never be a top 20 qb. good luck playing seattle, san fransicso and arizona defense 6 times a year until he gets released.
#20 as a rookie. #16 last year. :crazy:

Oh snap! I was just talking some smack about that...you're crazy bro! Lol jk. I don't think it's nuts to do that. Cam looked shaky in the preseason, has few weapons to throw to, and is goin up against the best defense in the nfl (and one that was especially good at containing running qbs last season).

he is in the same tier as ponder and freeman.

every year will be the year. but always an excuse.
In his first three NFL seasons Bradford had 17 starters on the offensive line and 12 starters at wide receiver; 11 of the 17 O-linemen and 6 of the 12 wideouts are no longer in the NFL.

This is more than an excuse; it's a reason.

Oh snap! I was just talking some smack about that...you're crazy bro! Lol jk. I don't think it's nuts to do that. Cam looked shaky in the preseason, has few weapons to throw to, and is goin up against the best defense in the nfl (and one that was especially good at containing running qbs last season).
It is in a dynasty league in which I have a very strong team, so it isn't as hard to take that chance. That being said, Cam sucked against Seattle last year, and I do think Bradford will have multiple TDs Sunday. It may well be the only time I bench Cam this year, but Seattle is for real.

It is in a dynasty league in which I have a very strong team, so it isn't as hard to take that chance. That being said, Cam sucked against Seattle last year, and I do think Bradford will have multiple TDs Sunday. It may well be the only time I bench Cam this year, but Seattle is for real.
Agreed. Cam had like 140 yds passing and around 30 yds rushing with no Tds against them last year. It was a pathetic showing.

Bradford fared much better against ari d.

This would be the only week is sit cam for anyone besides Peyton, Brady, arodg, Brees.

Agreed. Cam had like 140 yds passing and around 30 yds rushing with no Tds against them last year. It was a pathetic showing.

This would be the only week is sit cam for anyone besides Peyton, Brady, arodg, Brees.
Bradford was 7-21 for 141 yards in the first game and 8-17 for 205 yards in the second game. Had 2 TD's in both games which is nice, but the lack of passing attempts is what sticks out for me.

Bradford was 7-21 for 141 yards in the first game and 8-17 for 205 yards in the second game. Had 2 TD's in both games which is nice, but the lack of passing attempts is what sticks out for me.
But this team is totally retooled. What are they gonna do... turn around and drop the ball on the turf because there's a giant hole where Steven Jackson used to be? Richardson will get a few carries, but this is Bradford's team now.38 passes in two games last year, but I expect he'll get just about that in this opener.

There are too many improvements to that offense to not believe that this will be Sam Bradfords best year statistically.

4000 yards is hardly a crazy projection considering he had 3700 last year.

I think 4000-4500 with 25-30 TDs is very reasonable based on the upgrades, and more likely 30 if Brian Quick & Cook are utilized well in the red zone, which should open up opportunities for slants & flat routes for the smaller guys like Austin, Givens, and DRich.

But this team is totally retooled. What are they gonna do... turn around and drop the ball on the turf because there's a giant hole where Steven Jackson used to be? Richardson will get a few carries, but this is Bradford's team now.38 passes in two games last year, but I expect he'll get just about that in this opener.
Good call!

STL bottom eight scoring offense in 2012 with 18.7 PPG...

playoff teams averaged 26+ PPG...

rams scored 27 sunday, missed some opportunities (cook fumble/touchback)...

they only scored 27+ 3 X last year...

31 weeks two and twelve, 28 week sixteen...

*pats self on the back* ;)

Good call!
EXACTLY 38... can't mess with that prediction.

There is little point in comparing the 2013 Rams' O to 2012... huge personnel changes clearly geared towards passing more.

depending on scoring format, bradford scored comparable to brees and stafford in week one...

better than brady, ryan, romo and stewart...

Well, a very nice start to his season thus far. 352 yards and 3 tds....and spreading the ball around to his multiple weapons nicely...Looks like the defense is a bit less stellar than most had predicted too which is great for his fantasy value...

Looks like bradford is poised to make many doubters eat crow this year...im actually ready to permanently replace cam newton with him in my starting lineup moving forward until Cam wakes the F up. Bradford seems like the real deal to me.

I started Bradford over Cam again this week. Yes, I think I just broke my other arm patting myself on the back again. :cool:

I started Bradford over Cam again this week. Yes, I think I just broke my other arm patting myself on the back again. :cool:
But are ya gonna grow a third arm so you can start Bradford again?

Well, a very nice start to his season thus far. 352 yards and 3 tds....and spreading the ball around to his multiple weapons nicely...Looks like the defense is a bit less stellar than most had predicted too which is great for his fantasy value...

Looks like bradford is poised to make many doubters eat crow this year...im actually ready to permanently replace cam newton with him in my starting lineup moving forward until Cam wakes the F up. Bradford seems like the real deal to me.
651-5 through two weeks...

that would project to 5,208-40

and he is still in the midst of building chemistry and timing with two of his primary receiving weapons, austin and cook...

they haven't played SF or SEA yet...

the above numbers may not be sustainable...

but the point is that bradford is in uncharted territory...

while any of the following factors would have been unprecedented in themselves for bradford in the NFL, he is enjoying a simultaneous convergence in 2013 of a) familiarity bred by same offensive system two years in a row, b) best OL he has had in STL (by far) and c) easily the most explosive and dangerous receiving weapons he has had during his tenure with the rams...

they haven't played SF or SEA yet...

the above numbers may not be sustainable...

but the point is that bradford is in uncharted territory...

while any of the following factors would have been unprecedented in themselves for bradford in the NFL, he is enjoying a simultaneous convergence in 2013 of a) familiarity bred by same offensive system two years in a row, b) best OL he has had in STL (by far) and c) easily the most explosive and dangerous receiving weapons he has had during his tenure with the rams...
So let's go worst-case scenario with Bradford on the SEA and SF games. Let's gooseegg him. Essentially, let's project him over 12 games. It still comes out to 3,906/30/12 tipped-INTs-to-D-Linemen.

Two games in, Bradford hasn't been sacked. They haven't faced some of the more dynamic defenses yet, but that's two games in a row where the guy sacked 105 times in his first three seasons hasn't been sacked.

Lol

There has been a Bradford SP thread every year. ram homers predict mariokart numbers and other fools join in the bukakke. You have a few unbiased realistic predictions that are shunned. Search and see who is right and who thought the ram OL was the best in the nfl two years ago. Just sayin lol
So two games in, what do you project Bradford finishing the year with? And what were your projections for him before the season started?

I didn't see the game. Cook did almost nothing statistically and he was this big cog in the machine in week one. I think it says something when they take away his best weapon and Bradford throws for 350 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread