What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sammy Morris out 2-3 weeks (1 Viewer)

Adam Schefter

Patriots work through running back shortage

Tom Brady might be the Patriots most disconcerting long-range issue. But their most pressing short-term one for Sunday’s game against the St. Louis Rams is who plays running back.

New England running back LaMont Jordan aggravated his calf injury Wednesday and is unlikely to play Sunday for the third straight week, a league source said.

Also, running back Sammy Morris, who suffered a knee injury Monday night against the Denver Broncos, is expected to be sidelined two to three weeks, said another league source.

Without Jordan, without Morris, and without Laurence Maroney — who was placed on the season-ending injured-reserve list Monday — the Patriots will be forced to rely on running back Kevin Faulk and rookie free agent BenJarvus Green-Ellis. And they already were having to win without Brady.

Yet New England never makes excuses and continues to go out and play playoff-caliber football. Tough team, those Patriots, a tough out.

LINK

he aggravated it in a walkthrough??

the funny thing is how stacked we were going into the season w/everybody wondering what we were doing w/all these running backs.

now some guy from the practice squad is starting.

That's a shame. Because Morris looked very good against Denver...

Not a Pats fan, but if they can get their running game going, they could very easily be right back in

the mix of things...

This is really a major bummer. At least I got some points out of him Monday night, which contributed to a win. Now the question is whether or not he's worth hanging onto? Unfortunately, he's bound to miss the best part of his schedule: STL and IND.

This is really a major bummer. At least I got some points out of him Monday night, which contributed to a win. Now the question is whether or not he's worth hanging onto? Unfortunately, he's bound to miss the best part of his schedule: STL and IND.
If he misses three weeks he misses out on great matchups in Week 8 (Rams) and Week 9 (Colts). If he misses three weeks in addition to this one, he could also miss Week 11 against the Jets, who have been good against the run so far. So if he comes back by Week 12 and nobody else has made a strong case for the starting job, he'll have the following matchups left:Week 12: at MiamiWeek 13: vs. PittsburghWeek 14: at SeattleWeek 15: at OaklandWeek 16: vs. ArizonaWeek 17: at BuffaloWeeks 12 and 13 could be tough and if you play in Week 17 that could also be tough unless the Bills have nothing to play for. So you're looking at three good matchups in all probability - and again, that's assuming nobody else steps up while he's out. My opinion is that he isn't a lock to remain on rosters given the injury, schedule and possibility another RB stakes claim to the job.

Smart money is on Green-Ellis being the play, which means Belichick will give Faulk the most touches.

Smart money is on Green-Ellis being the play, which means Belichick will give Faulk the most touches.
I thought the smart money would be on Faulk. I could've swore a year or so ago Faulk filled in nicely when the starting RB went down.
haha...I don't remember the game, but we're talking about a completely different roster now.I'm not saying I have any crystal ball up my ###, but I'd expect bge to get the bulk of the carries, while faulk continues his awesome 3rd down work.

I thought the smart money would be on Faulk.
I was being sarcastic - as in, we all think Ellis-Green would be the better play, but that means Bill will go with Faulk. The bolded portion is how I feel it'll shake out Sunday - with Heath Evans getting a lot of GL love.
I could've swore a year or so ago Faulk filled in nicely when the starting RB went down.
That was true a year ago, but they used all their available RBs. They also had Brady back there, a better OL, and WRs stretching the field a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the smart money would be on Faulk. I could've swore a year or so ago Faulk filled in nicely when the starting RB went down.
I agree the vet Faulk is the shark play here not the practice squad rookie.
Last week Faulk didnt get much action. I think Green E showed he can carry the rock.

Of course...I picked him up before last week...did not play him (thankfully still won).

Now I drop Mewelde Moore for another TE to sub for Winslow this week...and now Parker might not play...and Morris is out.

Ugh.

Oh well, picked up Green Ellis and dropped Morris (thankfully, some of my league mates are slow)...now if I just have the balls to sit Turner or LT2 down to play BJGE.

Awesome, I just dumped Faulk yesterday morning. Now I have to decide whether to pick him back up again or just start Sproles. Or go with Green Ellis. What a mess. Patriots didn't have many injuries last season. They've certainly had their share this year.

Of course...I picked him up before last week...did not play him (thankfully still won).Now I drop Mewelde Moore for another TE to sub for Winslow this week...and now Parker might not play...and Morris is out.Ugh.Oh well, picked up Green Ellis and dropped Morris (thankfully, some of my league mates are slow)...now if I just have the balls to sit Turner or LT2 down to play BJGE.
don't you have some kind of blog?

What is the word on Jordan? An fbg email recommended Jordan as a play this weekend. Is there any confirmation of the injury?

Of course...I picked him up before last week...did not play him (thankfully still won).Now I drop Mewelde Moore for another TE to sub for Winslow this week...and now Parker might not play...and Morris is out.Ugh.Oh well, picked up Green Ellis and dropped Morris (thankfully, some of my league mates are slow)...now if I just have the balls to sit Turner or LT2 down to play BJGE.
don't you have some kind of blog?
nope

It struck me that Belicheck wanted to use the 2nd half of a blowout to get Green-Ellis some carries in a real game when there wouldn't be significant consequences if he screwed up. I'm not sure that he won't rely more on Faulk the veteran, at least in the early stages of this week's game and as long as these next few games remain close.

It struck me that Belicheck wanted to use the 2nd half of a blowout to get Green-Ellis some carries in a real game when there wouldn't be significant consequences if he screwed up. I'm not sure that he won't rely more on Faulk the veteran, at least in the early stages of this week's game and as long as these next few games remain close.
Exactly my sentiment.Dont see how Faulk doesnt get at least twice the touches Green Ellis gets

Exactly my sentiment.Dont see how Faulk doesnt get at least twice the touches Green Ellis gets
Its been since like 2003 that Faulk has had anymore than 13 carries in a game.I think BB knows at this point that Faulk is not an every down runner and knows how to use him. IMO, he will continue that...and its being echoed by probably the best Pats informant on this site.

I don't think the staff likes to run Faulk out of a base set. He gets most of his touches by throws to the flat, screens and inside handoff out of shotgun. Very rare is the Faulk between-the-tackles straight running play.I expect to see BGE with about 10-15 carries ( more if its working ), Faulk 5-7 and Evans 3-5. Faulk will likely have a decent receiving game, as will Welker. In the absence of a running game, they'll revert to a short passing ( ie. long handoff type ) attack.

So Denver's run D is not good.

BGE ran well against Denver's run D.

STL's run D is not good.

It is entirely possible, but not guaranteed, that BGE wins the starting job with a strong performance.

This is from Thursday.... but it covers the whole NE backfield situation....

NE RB Options - Yahoo Sports News 10/23

FOXBORO — Anyone who questioned why the New England Patriots kept five running backs on their active roster when the season began now has the answer.

Injuries have taken a severe toll at the position as starter Laurence Maroney is done for the year after being placed on the injured reserve list due to a shoulder injury, and LaMont Jordan (right calf) has been out for two games.

That has left the workload to:

• Sammy Morris, who has had injury problems of his own and who left Monday night’s Denver game with an injury.

• Kevin Faulk, who plays primarily on third downs.

•Blocking back Heath Evans.

•Rookie BenJarvus Green-Ellis, who was promoted to the active roster on Oct. 11.

So far, so good.

The Patriots rushed for 257 yards against Denver, the highest total by the team in 23 years.

Faulk believes the Patriots are capable of running the ball effectively throughout the season.

“I’m sure that we are capable of doing that [again]; we just have to be consistent throughout the rest of the year,” Faulk said.

Morris led the rushing attack against the Broncos with 138 yards and a touchdown. He amassed all of those yards in the first half and sat out the second half with a knee injury.

Morris has not practiced this week.

“Sammy is a special back,” Evans said. “Sammy is a rare blend of speed and nastiness is what I call it because he can make you miss in the open field, but we call him Sammy the Bull because he’ll run you over. He’s got great vision. I love running with him in the backfield.”

While Evans has been used mostly as a blocking fullback this season, Faulk has excelled as a third-down back in his 10 years with the Patriots. He is the Patriots’ all-time leader in receptions by a running back, and he said that he is ready and willing to play a larger role in the offense if Jordan has to miss his third straight game, on Sunday at home against St. Louis.

“I’ve been here long enough to know to be prepared anytime they call on your number,” Faulk said.

Green-Ellis, carrying the ball for the first time in an NFL game, ran 13 times for 65 yards and scored a touchdown.

I just tried to go out and do my job,” Green-Ellis said after the game. The offensive line, the fullbacks and the tight ends and all of those guys did an excellent job of blocking up front, and I just tried to run through the holes that they opened up for me.

The Patriots have high hopes for Green-Ellis, who played his college ball at the University of Mississippi.

“He runs hard, Evans said. I think that’s one quality of every back that gets brought in here, the fact that they want someone who is going to get behind the shoulder pads and get yards when there aren’t yards. His first couple of carries there wasn’t a lot there and he managed to get three or four yards and that’s good to see out of a young back because sometimes that’s not an easy thing to do transitioning from the college game to the pro game.

Jordan returned to practice on Wednesday, which was only a walkthrough, but he sat out of practice yesterday and his status for Sunday's game remains uncertain.

The Patriots would gladly welcome him back. He was the team’s leading rusher before getting injured against San Francisco on Oct. 5.

The Patriots “running back by committee” is averaging 135.8 rushing yards per game, which ranks sixth in the NFL.

Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel likes what he sees.

“Anytime we can get the running game going it's a plus for me and it makes my job a lot easier,” Cassel said. “It sets up so many other dimensions of the game plan. To be able to go run the ball consistently like we did is always a big boost.

They run so much, I think that if all you expect is a dozen carries from one of these guys as a stopgap, you won't be disappointed. It's a good situation to look at if you're losing 2 RBs from the NFC North this week or others next due to byes. I'm looking at Week 9 myself (SF, NO, CAR bye) and putting my chips on BenJarvis.

They run so much, I think that if all you expect is a dozen carries from one of these guys as a stopgap, you won't be disappointed. It's a good situation to look at if you're losing 2 RBs from the NFC North this week or others next due to byes. I'm looking at Week 9 myself (SF, NO, CAR bye) and putting my chips on BenJarvis.
By next week, Lamont Jordan may be the guy getting the most carries.It is a really messy NE backfield.

I say Morris practices and still plays this week... the phantom "knee" injury is "healed" by the miracle overnight home remedy! BTW, when is the last time that an NFL team had a "knee" injury to one of their important starters, with no description of the injury and no scheduled MRI to determine the injury? If it weren't for missing information from NE, we would have no information at all.

All know Morris and Jordan is out for week 8..if not join my league next year.

Green will run on 1st and 2nd..Faulk will do the third downs..whats to understand?

I say Morris practices and still plays this week... the phantom "knee" injury is "healed" by the miracle overnight home remedy! BTW, when is the last time that an NFL team had a "knee" injury to one of their important starters, with no description of the injury and no scheduled MRI to determine the injury? If it weren't for missing information from NE, we would have no information at all.
Ok just for the record before I am pounded for "bad info" I feel it necessary to say I am kidding about playing this week but seriously, the way this thing is being handled reminds me of a certain videographer and his interest in adding sideline signal callers to his home movie collection.

David - Thanks for that update. This supports my feeling about how NE is handling this. Since it was reported yesterday that Morris is OUT for 2-3 weeks with a "knee" injury, wouldn't being listed as "doubtful" be like an upgrade? Why don't they just rule him OUT? Did he participate at all in their practice today?

David Yudkin said:
Jordan and Morris both listed as doubtful. I highly doubt either one plays.
As Dave has often mentioned, if they didn't practice today (Friday), they 'aint playing on Sunday.

Art_VanDalay said:
David - Thanks for that update. This supports my feeling about how NE is handling this. Since it was reported yesterday that Morris is OUT for 2-3 weeks with a "knee" injury, wouldn't being listed as "doubtful" be like an upgrade? Why don't they just rule him OUT? Did he participate at all in their practice today?
BB complies with the letter of the law regarding injury declaration.NOT the spirit of the law.He is ammoral when it comes to winning football games.He doesn't care about your fantasy team.Or mine.Or his mom's.

Art_VanDalay said:
Jordan already had a week this year where he was listed as doubtful and played (although sparingly). These two most likely will be declared inactive on Sunday. I suppose if they don't want to risk having only 3 active RBs then maybe they will leave one of them active in case of emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread