What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Samson (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
Always been intriqued with his story. Especially the part where he slew a 1000 soldiers with just the jawbone of an ###.

The soldiers didn't have spears to throw, no bow and arrows?  After watching this bad man whipping up on 5Oish of them nobody thought to.....hold it hold it, this ain't working we need a better plan? 

So with 900 dead bodies piled up they just kept coming?  So at the end there stood one guy?  A mountain of dead bodies, and one guy....? Nobody thought to...rush him?

It's this kind of......forget common sense.....that hurts trying to buy into religions.  Mohammad talking to an Angel in a cave, really?

It doesn't help matters with all that, it actually hurts things.  How can anyone...oh yeah sure Samson was strong...and if he faced a dozen or so soldiers ok.....hmmm?  But...1000?  1000?  That didn't happen and how can anyone buy that it did?

A Master Designer far beyond our ability to comprehend something so far beyond us can be a...??? But once it becomes flesh and blood and  worldly occurances like battles and  cave conversations now it needs to be believable on our level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBTbo6NbbMc

Talk about a load of dumb soldiers there they were.  Why carry a spear if ya don't plan on throwing it? Where was the guy in charge?  A guy to....STOP,..,.ok  now surround him and........

Last edited by a moderator:
Always been intriqued with his story. Especially the part where he slew a 1000 soldiers with just the jawbone of an ###.

The soldiers didn't have spears to throw, no bow and arrows?  After watching this bad man whipping up on 5Oish of them nobody thought to.....hold it hold it, this ain't working we need a better plan? 

So with 900 dead bodies piled up they just kept coming?  So at the end there stood one guy?  A mountain of dead bodies, and one guy....? Nobody thought to...rush him?

It's this kind of......forget common sense.....that hurts trying to buy into religions.  Mohammad talking to an Angel in a cave, really?

It doesn't help matters with all that, it actually hurts things.  How can anyone...oh yeah sure Samson was strong...and if he faced a dozen or so soldiers ok.....hmmm?  But...1000?  1000?  That didn't happen and how can anyone buy that it did?

A Master Designer far beyond our ability to comprehend something so far beyond us can be a...??? But once it becomes flesh and blood and  worldly occurances like battles and  cave conversations now it needs to be believable on our level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBTbo6NbbMc

Talk about a load of dumb soldiers there they were.  Why carry a spear if ya don't plan on throwing it? Where was the guy in charge?  A guy to....STOP,..,.ok  now surround him and........
We can read the Bible in a number of ways - we can focus on the specific details (as you're doing here), but to aid in our understanding we should also put the stories into the surrounding context as well as the overall narrative of the Bible and its message.  Did Samson literally slay 1,000, or was that representative of a large number of his enemies?  The exact number isn't the point of the story ...of this particular incident; Samson's overall story; the broader role of the judges; and God's relationship with his chosen people.  

tri-man 47 said:
We can read the Bible in a number of ways - we can focus on the specific details (as you're doing here), but to aid in our understanding we should also put the stories into the surrounding context as well as the overall narrative of the Bible and its message.  Did Samson literally slay 1,000, or was that representative of a large number of his enemies?  The exact number isn't the point of the story ...of this particular incident; Samson's overall story; the broader role of the judges; and God's relationship with his chosen people.  
Why not go with what was actually written like the law would do. We can't play.....well actual numbers and what was actually written really didn't mean.......at all.  Go with what was actually said.

Circa Easter  A.D. 33
Wiki

The English word "zombie" is first recorded in 1819, in a history of Brazil by the poet Robert Southey, in the form of "zombi", actually referring to the Muslim Afro-Brazilian rebel leader named Zumbi and the etymology of his name in "nzambi".[3] The Oxford English Dictionary gives the origin of the word as West African and compares it to the Kongo words "nzambi" (god) and "zumbi" (fetish).

In Haitian folklore, a zombie (Haitian French: zombi, Haitian Creole: zonbi) is an animated corpse raised by magical means, such as witchcraft.[10]

The concept has been popularly associated with the religion of voodoo, but it plays no part in that faith's formal practices.

Why not go with what was actually written like the law would do. We can't play.....well actual numbers and what was actually written really didn't mean.......at all.  Go with what was actually said.
Let's both learn Hebrew and Greek and see how things go from there.  But really, it's not like the law.  It's history, lessons, poetry, even visions ...many things.  So again, the verses and stories have be understood in context.  And frankly, some of it truly is a mystery.  Also, as we (any of us) spend time reading and studying the Bible, our own understanding and interpretation evolves and deepens ...as does our faith.  

Let's both learn Hebrew and Greek and see how things go from there.  But really, it's not like the law.  It's history, lessons, poetry, even visions ...many things.  So again, the verses and stories have be understood in context.  And frankly, some of it truly is a mystery.  Also, as we (any of us) spend time reading and studying the Bible, our own understanding and interpretation evolves and deepens ...as does our faith.  
So what do we really do with this?

Judges 15:13-17

They said to him, “No; we will only bind you and give you into their hands. We will surely not kill you.” So they bound him with two new ropes and brought him up from the rock. When he came to Lehi, the Philistines came shouting to meet him. Then the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon him, and the ropes that were on his arms became as flax that has caught fire, and his bonds melted off his hands. And he found a fresh jawbone of a donkey, and put out his hand and took it, and with it he struck 1,000 men. And Samson said, “With the jawbone of a donkey, heaps upon heaps, with the jawbone of a donkey have I struck down a thousand men.” As soon as he had finished speaking, he threw away the jawbone out of his hand. And that place was called Ramath-lehi.

Wiki

The English word "zombie" is first recorded in 1819, in a history of Brazil by the poet Robert Southey, in the form of "zombi", actually referring to the Muslim Afro-Brazilian rebel leader named Zumbi and the etymology of his name in "nzambi".[3] The Oxford English Dictionary gives the origin of the word as West African and compares it to the Kongo words "nzambi" (god) and "zumbi" (fetish).

In Haitian folklore, a zombie (Haitian French: zombi, Haitian Creole: zonbi) is an animated corpse raised by magical means, such as witchcraft.[10]

The concept has been popularly associated with the religion of voodoo, but it plays no part in that faith's formal practices.
Link

So what do we really do with this?

Judges 15:13-17

They said to him, “No; we will only bind you and give you into their hands. We will surely not kill you.” So they bound him with two new ropes and brought him up from the rock. When he came to Lehi, the Philistines came shouting to meet him. Then the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon him, and the ropes that were on his arms became as flax that has caught fire, and his bonds melted off his hands. And he found a fresh jawbone of a donkey, and put out his hand and took it, and with it he struck 1,000 men. And Samson said, “With the jawbone of a donkey, heaps upon heaps, with the jawbone of a donkey have I struck down a thousand men.” As soon as he had finished speaking, he threw away the jawbone out of his hand. And that place was called Ramath-lehi.
My prior posts have provided thoughts on what we "do" with this.  So I have nothing more to add.  :bye:

999 was thinking "I wonder if I'm faster than 1000?"
I have a hard time with just how bad those soldiers were.  I mean get real here just a little bit,  it obviously wasn't working.  No thoughts at all of trying a different approach, I know it appears I;m trying to be funny but no not really.

When we are asked to just forget commom sense and go with the story, that's when I have my problem.

I have a hard time with just how bad those soldiers were.  I mean get real here just a little bit,  it obviously wasn't working.  No thoughts at all of trying a different approach, I know it appears I;m trying to be funny but no not really.

When we are asked to just forget commom sense and go with the story, that's when I have my problem.
My problem with the story is the whole hair thing. If that really worked, then why do they shave your head when you join the military?

, said the atheist.
I was raised in a thank you Jesus thank you Lord home.  I have no doubts there is a God.  My thing is is the Bible legit or just men writing stories like a Homer?  I do have to question what we read in the Bible.  

There is noway all this came about by chance, this took a Designer or Designers.

tri-man 47 said:
Man, you should be a teacher or something :D

Liken this to the story of the 300 that has been made into a major motion picture that fared pretty well. If you ask most folks these days how many soldiers were involved in the Battle of Thermopylae (assuming they even know what Thermopylae is) the answer will probably be 300. Very few, if any, ever mention the 7,000 Greeks that happened to be there as well so it becomes the story of 300 against 100,000 and how they stood their ground for 3 days. In relative terms, both these stories happened fairly close together. Interpretation is a wonderful thing.

Epic Problem said:
If I had my way, I'd burn this whole thread down 
Solid reference.

That is how I feel about most aspects of religion and bibles these days -- the stories we find within beget skepticism and belie common sense from a more modern perspective.

Solid reference.

That is how I feel about most aspects of religion and bibles these days -- the stories we find within beget skepticism and belie common sense from a more modern perspective.
The Bible does more harm than good.  Could something/someone have been the Master Designer, that is a ....possible. All that Bible stuff is a ....seriously doubt it.

I know some believers look at the Bible with..... this is all totally literal.... much more than others, but to...... hey the writer meant exactly 1000 to the soldier........ is pretty extreme.

I know some believers look at the Bible with..... this is all totally literal.... much more than others, but to...... hey the writer meant exactly 1000 to the soldier........ is pretty extreme.
1000 is the number mentioned,  sure we could go with 945 or 1020.  Point is a ridiculous number.

A legit pile of dead bodies, think about that, a mountain of dead bodies and nobody there ever threw a spear, a rock, surround him, CHARGE.

A boy can take down the giant Goliath with a sling shot, but 1000 soldiers.....................................

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread