What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***San Francisco at Green Bay*** (-5.5) 47u Shanahan Stuns the Packers! (1 Viewer)

Rodgers era might end up as a question of what could have been...a lot left on the table for the supposed best QB of all time. 
What crazy person thinks Rodgers is the best QB of all time? I live in Wisconsin, and have never once heard anyone say that.

What crazy person thinks Rodgers is the best QB of all time? I live in Wisconsin, and have never once heard anyone say that.
A lot of people. Pro Football Network ranked him 2 and said he was the most talented QB ever. Favre said Rodgers was maybe the best player ever. He is 2nd all time in passer rating, has the 7th highest TD % and all time lowest interception %. He is in the convo for best to ever play. 

The really amazing part. There are people 30 years old, that have never seen the Packers without a HOF QB. 

Feels weird to call 2 titles underachieving, but I can't say I disagree. 
I turn 40 this year so I have very few memories of Green Bay with anyone but 4/12 at QB. I've seen the whole run and have hated every minute of it. 

ETA: I actually didn't hate when Desmond won the SB MVP

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people. Pro Football Network ranked him 2 and said he was the most talented QB ever. Favre said Rodgers was maybe the best player ever. He is 2nd all time in passer rating, has the 7th highest TD % and all time lowest interception %. He is in the convo for best to ever play. 
I suppose he's in the conversation, I just hadn't heard anyone say it. 

It's usually Brady or Montana. Personally I argue Peyton, or Otto Graham if you want to go way back. 

Usually in Wisconsin, most people I know still answer Starr as the best Packers QB.

It's usually Brady or Montana. Personally I argue Peyton, or Otto Graham if you want to go way back. 

Usually in Wisconsin, most people I know still answer Starr as the best Packers QB.
 Huge difference between Best, Most Talented, and Greatest. 

I don't think anyone has mentioned AR in the GOAT conversation.  But I think he's way more talented, and plays quarterback way better than Brady, Montana, Peyton, etc.   Just like Lebron is a better basketball player than MJ, but he will never be as great as MJ.

"Greatness" takes into consideration work ethic, championships, clutchness.  AR lacks in those.

Brady and Montana for me but I get the argument for Rodgers. Just saying, it was a pretty sad performance from him tonight. 

I don’t know a single person under 70 who thinks that Starr is the best Packer QB.  People still love him — as much as a person/human as anything else — but only really old people think he’s the best.

And oh, I grew up in GB, my parents still live here, my FIL lives here, most of my fantasy league lives in WI……not sure who you are talking to or hearing this from.

I rarely hear Rodgers referred to as the greatest of all time, I regularly hear him referred to as possibly the most talented of all time. Major national stations, multiple times per year, for the last several years. 

I might be over it. Not sure. Still raw.

Sf was able to pressure just enough to make Rodgers uncomfortable. Even the ones they didn't get him they forced him off his spot and he had to make tough throws in a condensed pocket. Still stunned they lost, especially after the first drive.

Green Bay lost because of the worst special team performance in NFL playoff history.  Every single point SF scored was from special teams and on the last play?

---------------------------

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero

The NFL’s worst special teams unit turned in one of the worst special teams performances in NFL playoff history … and appears to have had only 10 men on the field for the winning field goal.

PICTURE

Green Bay lost because of the worst special team performance in NFL playoff history.  Every single point SF scored was from special teams and on the last play?

The NFL’s worst special teams unit turned in one of the worst special teams performances in NFL playoff history … and appears to have had only 10 men on the field for the winning field goal.

PICTURE
Which is crazy when you consider SF’s special teams unit was much maligned. 

Deebo as a KR/PR worked out pretty well I’d say. 

omg they only had 10 on the field. 😳

👀

per Adam Schefter

Packers now head into the off-season projected to be $44.8 million over the salary cap, the NFL’s second most challenging off-season position behind only the New Orleans Saints.

This is before the team attempts to re-sign or tag Pro Bowl WR Davante Adams. Major decisions loom.

:sadbanana:
I wouldn't look too much into this as this is typical lazy reporting.  As a Saints fan I know they can convert about 8 guys salaries into signing bonuses and be under the cap without making 1 cut.

I wouldn't look too much into this as this is typical lazy reporting.  As a Saints fan I know they can convert about 8 guys salaries into signing bonuses and be under the cap without making 1 cut.
I’m nit sure that’s accurate. Rodgers and Adams aren’t taking a discount half-a-check at their age(s), and the Packers are in salary cap hell.

I’ve now seen aimilar evaluation from several NFL analysts so I’m hesitant to call it “lazy”, and after the game Rodgers said he doesn’t want to be part of any rebuild. 

PICTURE
They also lost because they couldn't find a way to score 13 points in 60 minutes of football, something they failed to do only twice all season. 

I’m nit sure that’s accurate. Rodgers and Adams aren’t taking a discount half-a-check at their age(s), and the Packers are in salary cap hell.

I’ve now seen aimilar evaluation from several NFL analysts so I’m hesitant to call it “lazy”, and after the game Rodgers said he doesn’t want to be part of any rebuild. 
Rodgers is under contract.  Adams is the free agent.  I'm not sure of the Packer contracts so I can't comment on them.  I was using the Saints as an example as if he thinks the Packers are in cap hell the Saints look to be worse.  

I'm all ready for the "how did the Saints get under the cap?!?!"  When if you looked deeper from the start you wouldn't need to use the term "cap hell" to be dramatic.  It's a pretty simple situation to fix cap wise.

For the Packers fans out there, does LaFleur call the plays or does Rodgers pretty much have carte blanche to do whatever he wants?

Because in either situation, last night was appalling in that the Packers didn't seem to make any adjustments at all during the game.

Congrats on the 49ers for winning!  They did a good handing it to the Packers once again.

As a Packers fan, here are my thoughts after sleeping on it:

• Don't believe the BS about warm weather teams in cold-weather games.  SF came ready to play.
  • After 30 years of TWO MVP and SuperBowl winning quarterbacks, I cannot believe how much opportunity GB has squandered over those years.  TWO superbowls.  That's it.  With what we've been blessed at the QB position we should have at least as many as Brady - if not more. 

In comparison, the Bears have had like 25 QBs over that span.  Most teams would KILL to have what we've had at the QB position.

[*]We don't need the Greatest Regular Season QB Ever.  We need a great QB in the regular season AND the playoffs.  This is simply unacceptable.

[*]13-3 EVERY year for the last 3 years and one and done EVERY year for the last 3 years.  I kind of now know how Buffalo Bills fans felt like in the early 90's, except those teams AT LEAST got TO the SuperBowl.  This has really tested my patience as a Packers fan.  I'm considering moving on from GB after what we've squandered.  

[*]At this point, I'm just going to say they should fire everyone and start over.

[*]For all the talk about Rodgers being one of the best ever, having only one SuperBowl to his name (like Favre) is embarrassing.  Last night, he should have WILLED his team to win.  Championship QBs do that.  Also-rans don't.  Is Rodgers this era's Dan Marino?  All those stats are great but if you can't even get to the dance, what good is that?

[*]Don't blame the refs.  Good teams don't put themselves in the position like that in the first place.

Again, Kudos to SF for and I wish you guys the best of luck.  :thumbup:

For the Packers fans out there, does LaFleur call the plays or does Rodgers pretty much have carte blanche to do whatever he wants?

Because in either situation, last night was appalling in that the Packers didn't seem to make any adjustments at all during the game.

I have no idea.  I'm guessing neither because it's clear to me that they didn't even think there was a game going on.

PICTURE
That is not the only reason they lost; it's just the most convenient. If the Packers would have scored more than 3 points in the last 3 1/2 quarters the game would have been over a long time before the special teams TD. The Niners offense was terrible and this game should have been a blowout.

Eh, when looking at QBs alone, I find it hard to rank QBs I never saw play in real time, so ranking the QBs I have seen since the mid 80s (when I started watching football), Rodgers has a good argument for being 4th best (Young, Elway and Marino the other contenders for that spot).  The top tier of Brady, Peyton and Montana is pretty set in stone for now, IMO anyway. 

Ilov80s said:
This.  For 15 years there was a group that stubbornly maintained Manning >> Brady.  Some folks overweight "talent" and "regular season" in these debates.

I think I honestly hate most of NBC’s pregame announcers.

I just want to punch Jac Collinsworth and Chris Simms right in the face and hose off Drew Brees new hair. 

Green Bay lost because of the worst special team performance in NFL playoff history.  
That is not the only reason they lost
Football Perspective@fbgchase

There have been just 3 times in NFL playoff history where a team tied or took the lead on a special teams touchdown in the 4th quarter or overtime.

1. Music City Miracle

2. Ravens blocked FG against 2000 Titans to take 17-10 lead

3. 49ers last night against Green Bay

----------------------------------------------------------

Football Perspective@fbgchase

This was the biggest punt block in the history of the NFL playoffs

Next Gen Stats@NextGenStats

49ers Blocked Punt Return TD # of Rushers: 6 Blocked By: #94 Jordan Willis Return TD: #29 Talanoa Hufanga » #49ers win probability increased from 16% to 41% as a result of the punt block TD (now tied 10-10) #SFvsGB | #FTTB

LINK to animation

Users who are viewing this thread