What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

sandwiches - let's help each other fix lunch (1 Viewer)

mr. furley

Footballguy
stuck in a sandwich rut right now

pb&j every day

make no mistake, it's delicious and i've got the recipe dialed in but looking to shake things up.

recently had a ham & swiss with cucumber and tomato that knocked my head off. never imagined putting cucumber and tomato on my ham & swiss until then. it's like dropping acid. after the experience i'm left wondering about how far this universe actually expands.

hit me

@AhrnCityPahnder

I have been digging BLTs on 9 grain with pepper jack, raw green peppers...sometimes pickeled jalapeños. 

Egg salad lettuce wraps have been part of the rotation too but probably not for everyone. 
big fan of both these ideas :thumbup:

though, i tend to limit my egg salad consumption to times when i know i've got a couple days to recover

i like a nice hot dog sandwich, with everything...
the rails

this thread

I used to make italian ciabatta's at the restaurant I worked at in college.  That motivated the below:

Pizza bagel - smidge of olive oil on the outside of both ends, marinara on the bottom, salami + pepperoni, diced pepperoncini + red onion + tomato, as much shredded mozz as will stay on it, drizzle of olive garden italian on the top - toast until bagel is crisp and at least most of the cheese is melted.

I call it - Not a Ciabatta

It's time consuming, so I'll make a few on a Sunday, eat one for lunch, then keep the rest for mid-week.  It's best right out of the oven (bagel crispness) but it's still quite phenomenal reheated.

I make chicken salad every week. Either buy wraps or get a roll in the morning.

Just boil some chicken breast to 165 degrees. I save ends of veggies in the freezer, like onions, peppers, celery, etc and throw it in the pot with some S&P, poultry seasoning and garlic powder. Let it cool, shred, add celery and some mayo and put it in the fridge for the next day (or two) So good.

Homemade roasted/smoked turkey, mayo, fresh ground black pepper, bread toasted lightly = sammich
every once in a blue moon i make turkey, swiss and avocado on the griddle

griddle to just below medium

MAYO the bread on both sides @Aaron Rudnicki

eta: forgot the brown mustard

smoked turkey

slice of swiss

avocado slices 

heat until golden brown

shove in your face until you can no longer eat or you pass out

Last edited by a moderator:
stuck in a sandwich rut right now

pb&j every day

make no mistake, it's delicious and i've got the recipe dialed in but looking to shake things up.

recently had a ham & swiss with cucumber and tomato that knocked my head off. never imagined putting cucumber and tomato on my ham & swiss until then. it's like dropping acid. after the experience i'm left wondering about how far this universe actually expands.

hit me

@AhrnCityPahnder
WHAT'S HAPPENED TO YOU??????

kinda off topic, but the way I fixed the 'lunch rut' is to subscribe to/shop at a meal service. Places like these are popping up all over the place and they are pretty reasonable and somewhat healthy...at least vs grabbing another slice of pizza. 

I stop by my place on the weekend and grab 5 meals at $7 per meal.  Not cheaper then a sandwich, but much cheaper then a visit to the deli everyday. 

add to that, I have this on my desk and it is life changing. I slip the meal into it when I come in, and by lunch time it is like it just came fresh out of the oven. Not dry or crispy with cold sots like the microwave. 

I make chicken salad every week. Either buy wraps or get a roll in the morning.

Just boil some chicken breast to 165 degrees. I save ends of veggies in the freezer, like onions, peppers, celery, etc and throw it in the pot with some S&P, poultry seasoning and garlic powder. Let it cool, shred, add celery and some mayo and put it in the fridge for the next day (or two) So good.
Yeah, I have been on a huge chicken salad kick lately.  Never really paid it attention nor ever ordered it, but now I'm excited when I have left over grilled chicken so I can make chicken salad for the work week.  

Last week, I diced up a bunch of chicken breasts that I had marinated with Weber's Mesquite packet-rub (these are great, but Furls, sub beer in for water, always :thumbup:  and add a little red wine or apple cider vinegar too) and whipped it together with olive-oil mayo, dijon mustard, diced jalapeno, red bell pepper, celery, onion, garlic, pinch of this, pinch of that, healthy shake of Tony's and man, you scoop this on some good bread with Swiss and a pickle....out of sight.  

Some people don't care for mayo though, so you can actually sub it out with mashed avocado and it's fantastic too.  Almost like making homemade guac with the cilantro, jalapeno, lime, purple onions but adding chopped chicken to it.  So good.  

kinda off topic, but the way I fixed the 'lunch rut' is to subscribe to/shop at a meal service. Places like these are popping up all over the place and they are pretty reasonable and somewhat healthy...at least vs grabbing another slice of pizza. 

I stop by my place on the weekend and grab 5 meals at $7 per meal.  Not cheaper then a sandwich, but much cheaper then a visit to the deli everyday. 

add to that, I have this on my desk and it is life changing. I slip the meal into it when I come in, and by lunch time it is like it just came fresh out of the oven. Not dry or crispy with cold sots like the microwave. 
Mind blown. What kind of stuff do you make on this? 

Yeah, I have been on a huge chicken salad kick lately.  Never really paid it attention nor ever ordered it, but now I'm excited when I have left over grilled chicken so I can make chicken salad for the work week.  

Last week, I diced up a bunch of chicken breasts that I had marinated with Weber's Mesquite packet-rub (these are great, but Furls, sub beer in for water, always :thumbup:  and add a little red wine or apple cider vinegar too) and whipped it together with olive-oil mayo, dijon mustard, diced jalapeno, red bell pepper, celery, onion, garlic, pinch of this, pinch of that, healthy shake of Tony's and man, you scoop this on some good bread with Swiss and a pickle....out of sight.  

Some people don't care for mayo though, so you can actually sub it out with mashed avocado and it's fantastic too.  Almost like making homemade guac with the cilantro, jalapeno, lime, purple onions but adding chopped chicken to it.  So good.  
i like adding quartered or halved red grapes and sun dried tomatoes

My go to:

Honey Turkey sliced at deli. Don’t skimp, buy the good stuff. Don’t even talk to me about that crap in the packages 

Mayo with Sriarcha sauce mixed in.

Dave’s Killer bread

Swiss Cheese

Any combo of Lettuce / Avacado /Onion / Tomato if you are really going all out. Can get a bit sloppy.

A few of your preferred chips on the side

I wish I had time for lunch but I usually have to shove a protein bar in my face because some of us need to keep this world turning. 

/Otis

My go to:

Honey Turkey sliced at deli. Don’t skimp, buy the good stuff. Don’t even talk to me about that crap in the packages 

Mayo with Sriarcha sauce mixed in.

Dave’s Killer bread

Swiss Cheese

Any combo of Lettuce / Avacado /Onion / Tomato if you are really going all out. Can get a bit sloppy.

A few of your preferred chips on the side
Saw this at the store yesterday. What is so special about it? 

A deli near me makes an Italian roast beef.  It's basically roast beef they cook there with herbs and #### mixed in.   Sooo good.  

Saw this at the store yesterday. What is so special about it? 
The founder was an ex-prisoner who ran afoul of the law numerous times before coming up with a cornmeal crusted bread loaf which sold well at Farmers Markets and eventually made it to stores.  It's pretty good stuff.  Founder still runs afoul with the law from time to time, but sold the bread company for $275 MM so I'm sure he'll be fine. He has to stay out of bars thought and can't drive anymore.  Caused quite a kerfuffle in our neighborhood a few years back.

The founder was an ex-prisoner who ran afoul of the law numerous times before coming up with a cornmeal crusted bread loaf which sold well at Farmers Markets and eventually made it to stores.  It's pretty good stuff.  Founder still runs afoul with the law from time to time, but sold the bread company for $275 MM so I'm sure he'll be fine. He has to stay out of bars thought and can't drive anymore.  Caused quite a kerfuffle in our neighborhood a few years back.
definitely looks like a guy at the bar who's killing whiskeys, drives off in an Acura with tints, then breaks in to your house and beats up a cop on the way out

He's also employing A LOT of ex cons and giving people a chance to rehabilitate coming out of jail or prison.  

I think I like the bread more now. Gives my sandwich a little outlaw flavor.

Mind blown. What kind of stuff do you make on this? 
pretty much anything that can be heated. I bring in those pre-made meals linked in my post (eating one now), leftovers, etc. I've never done pizza or anything, but I will say that i NEVER ate leftover Chinese. Hated it out of the microwave it got rubbery and yuck....but in this? no problem.  supposedly you can also put in frozen meals, but I have not tried that yet.

Just made this yesterday.   Roasted turkey breast, I shred cabbage, onion, jalapeno and toss with "Donald Trumps" favorite Russian dressing.  Add the mixture on top of the turkey with any fresh hard crusted bread that is lightly coated with mustard.. 

Users who are viewing this thread