What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scheffler Owners, what is your plan? (1 Viewer)

Select One

• Holding steady - Scheff will be getting his out of the gates

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeking a pre-season trade - I am concerned

• Finding a FA TE from another team - just to hold the fort down until things are resolved

• Picking up Nate Jackson

• I already drafted a back-up

• Total voters

-jb-

Footballguy
I am one of the :goodposting: that took the Scheffler bait. For me, there is enough cause for concern to put some kind of action plan together. I may grab Fasano off the wire, I may grab Jackson, or I may grab Lee. I'm not ready for a trade, as I do still believe things will work their way out, despite Skeletor's involvement. Curious to know what other owners are doing. Where's your head at?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting to see what happens. I may pick up somebody right before the first game if we find out that he's not going to play.

I am one of the :goodposting: that took the Scheffler bait. For me, there is enough cause for concern to put some kind of action plan together. I may grab Fasano off the wire, I may grab Jackson, or I may grab Lee. I'm not ready for a trade, as I do still believe things will work their way out, despite Skeletor's involvement. Curious to know what other owners are doing. Where's your head at?
If I remember right they played this scene out last year when Scheffler came back from injury. He was third on the depth chart and quickly rose to the top and played pretty damn good down the stretch. I'm sorry to say it is just a ploy by rat face to motivate Tony.

Combination of backup and trade. I drafted Daniels two rounds after Scheffler, so I was comfortable starting him and stashing Scheff on the bench until his inevitable second half run like Two Deep points out. But one owner has been dying to get him from me since the draft, so I jumped on a trade that upgraded a WR spot (Bowe to Holmes) while also giving me a solid backup to Daniels in Zach Miller.

I am one of the :lmao: that took the Scheffler bait. For me, there is enough cause for concern to put some kind of action plan together. I may grab Fasano off the wire, I may grab Jackson, or I may grab Lee. I'm not ready for a trade, as I do still believe things will work their way out, despite Skeletor's involvement. Curious to know what other owners are doing. Where's your head at?
If I remember right they played this scene out last year when Scheffler came back from injury. He was third on the depth chart and quickly rose to the top and played pretty damn good down the stretch. I'm sorry to say it is just a ploy by rat face to motivate Tony.
True...but those first three weeks were :goodposting: when it came to Scheffler's production. In fact, there were a total of five receptions from Graham, Jackson and Scheffler combined during that span.

Dyno league 1 - hoping Gates is ready to go

Dyno league 2 - hoping Heap is ready to go

Dyno league 3 - hoping Nate Jackson clears waivers

I'm kind of heavily invested in Scheff. :lmao:

drafted him as my #2, going to draft a #3 soon, just in case. (most teams carry 2-3 TEs in this league)

but at the point where i took him, i felt it was worth the gamble.

Looking at possible deals, but I do have Zach Miller. I also picked up Randy McMicheal (for the first time in all my years playing fantasy football I have 3 TEs on my roster) as I think he can surprise. I hope to have a better idea of what's going on there before Week 1 kicks off next week. When I do, I can drop one of the TEs. But I am a little concerned, based Skeletor's history of f-ing over fantasy owners.

wait is Shceff hurt or something?

or are we believing the nate Jackson "starter" thing? To me it doesnt matter who the listed starter is, but rather who gets the targets.

wait is Shceff hurt or something?or are we believing the nate Jackson "starter" thing? To me it doesnt matter who the listed starter is, but rather who gets the targets.
It's difficult to put any stock whatsoever in Shannahan's depth chart...but he is listed 3rd on it. I think a contingency plan is in order, but I believe he will be the guy we expected all along.

Published Wed Aug 13 12:11:00 a.m. PT 2008

(Rotoworld) Tony Scheffler, who dealt with a recurring foot issue during the spring, has practiced twice a day at Broncos training camp.

Analysis: The coaching staff tried to light a fire under Scheffler early by putting Nate Jackson ahead of him on the depth chart, but Scheffler passed him with ease. The deep threat should begin this season as Jay Cutler's go-to target with Brandon Marshall suspended. Scheffler has top-8 fantasy TE upside.

Published Mon Aug 4 12:19:00 p.m. PT 2008

(Rotoworld) Tony Scheffler has formally moved past Nate Jackson on the Broncos' depth chart.

Analysis: Scheffler is behind only Daniel Graham, who's almost strictly a blocker. Jackson was ahead of Scheffler at one point, but that never was going to last. Scheffler should see frequent targets while Brandon Marshall sits out.

Why are we worried? :moneybag: :popcorn: :D

or are we believing the nate Jackson "starter" thing? To me it doesnt matter who the listed starter is, but rather who gets the targets.
It's difficult to put any stock whatsoever in Shannahan's depth chart...but he is listed 3rd on it. I think a contingency plan is in order, but I believe he will be the guy we expected all along.
Got a link, the ones I am finding he's right behind blocking TE Graham.

If the Broncos offense struggles without Marshall the first two or three games and the team loses, Scheffler will quickly overtake Jackson unless Jackson overperforms. I agree with the Denver media assessment that the preseason depth chart is a motivational ploy by Shanahan. That said, a #2a/#2b situation could emerge if Jackson continues to play well, the offense clicks, and the Broncos are winning.

For a week 1 plan, though, I'd look to have an alternative to Scheffler ready to plug in Sunday morning if needs be. Mine is Heap (drafted as a backup).

(Rotoworld) Tony Scheffler, who dealt with a recurring foot issue during the spring, has practiced twice a day at Broncos training camp.

Analysis: The coaching staff tried to light a fire under Scheffler early by putting Nate Jackson ahead of him on the depth chart, but Scheffler passed him with ease. The deep threat should begin this season as Jay Cutler's go-to target with Brandon Marshall suspended. Scheffler has top-8 fantasy TE upside.

(Rotoworld) Tony Scheffler has formally moved past Nate Jackson on the Broncos' depth chart.

Analysis: Scheffler is behind only Daniel Graham, who's almost strictly a blocker. Jackson was ahead of Scheffler at one point, but that never was going to last. Scheffler should see frequent targets while Brandon Marshall sits out.

Why are we worried? :shrug: :confused: :rolleyes:
Nate Jackson was the Denver Broncos' second tight end when training camp started, and he has played well enough to keep that spot.

Unless there's a change in the two weeks that remain before the season starts, that might not be ideal news for Tony Scheffler.

Jackson has worked ahead of Scheffler in two tight-end sets with Daniel Graham since the start of training camp. When Graham sat out Friday's preseason game against Green Bay with a hamstring injury, Jackson started with the base offense. Jackson and Graham started the second preseason game, when Denver opened in a two tight-end set.

In his start against the Packers, Jackson caught two passes on a 99-yard scoring drive, including a 9-yard touchdown pass. Scheffler started the drive by dropping a short pass.

Scheffler acknowledged in training camp that he figured he was battling Jackson for a spot with the first-team offense in two tight-end sets. That spot is an important one for the Broncos, because they often use the second tight end to get a mismatch in the passing game. Playing mostly in two tight-end sets last year, Scheffler had 49 catches for 549 yards, despite not having a catch through the first four games.

He didn't have a catch in the first month of last season because Jackson was ahead of him on the depth chart. Then Jackson suffered a season-ending groin injury and Scheffler moved up. Scheffler said he figured he will be a big part of the offense right away this year.

"I'm not worried about it," Scheffler said. "I think I proved myself last year that I can make plays for this team and I think I'm going to be a big part of things." When asked about Jackson after Friday's game, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan made a point to praise Scheffler as well. Through three preseason games, Scheffler has four catches for 55 yards. Jackson has five catches for 39 yards and a touchdown.

"I've been pleased with Nate, and Tony has stepped up," Shanahan said.

Last year, Scheffler broke his foot in an offseason minicamp and missed all of training camp, which gave Jackson the opening to be the second tight end. He rebounded from his season-ending groin injury to have a good training camp this year, which is impressive considering he said he isn't quite 100 percent.

"It's a constant struggle and I'm not happy 100 percent with where my body is and I work on that every day and I feel pretty good about where I'm at," Jackson said.

Jackson was given another chance this offseason because Scheffler had his own injury issues. He missed some minicamp practices because of persistent pain in the foot he broke last year. He said that set him back.

"You miss two rounds of the whole offense being installed and get out of football shape, so you spend that first week-and-a-half of camp catching up," Scheffler said.
http://www.theolympian.com/nationworld/story/558183.html

Got a link, the ones I am finding he's right behind blocking TE Graham.
The Broncos official depth chart goes Graham, Jackson, Scheffler.

I guess i'll pay attention to the news this week. I can't see Jackson who has 150 yards, 1 TD in FIVE SEASONS combined overtaking Scheffler who had 550 yards, 5 TDS last season with Daniel Graham being the blocking TE on the team and Brandon Marshall out the first two or three games. I got Zach Miller too so I'll keep up on this in case Shanahan plays any games.

Geez, now I remember why I don't like having Broncos on my team. First the RBs are a cluster####, then the WRs are a cluster####, and now the TEs??? :bag:

So... you guys are saying that Lane Kiffin and Al Davis are game planning for Eddie Royal instead of Scheffler? Me thinks not.

I'm not worried about this at all.

He's healthy.

Has a great rapport with Cutler (Similar to Romo and Witten).

He's their best receiving TE (was a WR in college).

With Marshall missing 1-3 games, Scheffler will be in there and never look back. He's a top Bronco weapon.

What are they gonna do? Run????

Why are we worried? ;) :confused: :confused:
:goodposting: First I've heard of any Scheffler owners being worried going into the season.

I'm not worried about this at all.He's healthy.Has a great rapport with Cutler (Similar to Romo and Witten).He's their best receiving TE (was a WR in college).With Marshall missing 1-3 games, Scheffler will be in there and never look back. He's a top Bronco weapon.What are they gonna do? Run????
They always try to run, but I think the Broncos' MO heading into this game should be to get out big as early as possible to take the Raiders runners out of the game. Then just sit back and let Russell throw the ball to Bailey and Bly. Easier said than done obviously, but I suspect Scheffler would be the prime beneficiary of this particular Marshall-less game plan.

So Shanny figures "hmm I can't really mess with fantasy football people too much in the RB area right now since Torain got hurt so maybe I'll just play around with the TEs how else am I going to have any fun this year?"

So Shanny figures "hmm I can't really mess with fantasy football people too much in the RB area right now since Torain got hurt so maybe I'll just play around with the TEs how else am I going to have any fun this year?"
I would venture to say that, at least at this point, they are looking at Scheffler more as a receiver right now than a tight end, thus the depth chart confusion. They just don't want to list him as a receiver. In being considered more as a receiver at this point, he's moved down the tight end chart.ETA: With Marshall out, he is their most reliable receiver.

I'm not worried about it as I think its shanahan playing games with him to try to get him to work harder and also he is great friends with cutler which I think should tell you something right there

I would venture to say that, at least at this point, they are looking at Scheffler more as a receiver right now than a tight end, thus the depth chart confusion. They just don't want to list him as a receiver. In being considered more as a receiver at this point, he's moved down the tight end chart.ETA: With Marshall out, he is their most reliable receiver.
:goodposting: I was about to post the same thing. With Marshall out, Scheffler may play some as WR while Jackson and Graham are also on the field at the same time.

You guys are worrying about nothing. Shannahans draft chart is based on the opening 2 back running offense. On passing downs Scheffler will be on the field. Targets will be plentiful. Goal line targets will be plentiful. Drop him in any leagues of mine and I golbble him up instantly if I can!

Scheffler is a horrible blocker and TE's who can't block at all eventually find their way to the bench.

Guys like Gates and Winslow are mainly receiving TE's, but when asked they are very servicable blockers, Scheffler doesn't know how to block.

Scheffler is a horrible blocker and TE's who can't block at all eventually find their way to the bench.Guys like Gates and Winslow are mainly receiving TE's, but when asked they are very servicable blockers, Scheffler doesn't know how to block.
You don't seem to understand the Broncos TE situation. Graham blocks, Jackson and Scheffler catch passes. Jackson is a converted WR. If you're arguing against Scheffler in a general sense, I think you're wrong. If you're arguing against Scheffler and for Jackson based on blocking ability, you're wrong.

I can't see Shanny sending Cutler's security blanket to the bench, especially if Marshall is sitting out the first two weeks. If Jackson was better than Scheffler, I think he would have proven it before this preseason. But if the Rat wants to get crazy, I have Zach Miller on my bench waiting to get plugged into my lineup.

Scheffler is a horrible blocker and TE's who can't block at all eventually find their way to the bench.Guys like Gates and Winslow are mainly receiving TE's, but when asked they are very servicable blockers, Scheffler doesn't know how to block.
You don't seem to understand the Broncos TE situation. Graham blocks, Jackson and Scheffler catch passes. Jackson is a converted WR. If you're arguing against Scheffler in a general sense, I think you're wrong. If you're arguing against Scheffler and for Jackson based on blocking ability, you're wrong.
i understand that Scheffler is mainly a receiver, but if he wants to play in the single TE sets he needs to learn how to block. They don't run 2 TE sets 100% of the time.All i'm really saying is that a TE who can't block will eventually be replaced.

Why do we need a plan?

If your .... enough to think that he wont be the primary TE in Denver then release him but its a big mistake.

He will be a top 5 TE easily , Jackson and Graham cant catch anything besides a cold.

Gates wasn't a good blocker when he started dominating as a receiver. He improved. I think Scheffler can as well, but I suppose we'll see. He could just become a slot WR?

Gates wasn't a good blocker when he started dominating as a receiver. He improved. I think Scheffler can as well, but I suppose we'll see. He could just become a slot WR?
Gates was an adequate blocker though, Scheffler might just be the worst blocking TE in the NFL.I guess they could try him at WR, in a sense that's basically what he is now.

We play FF. Dropping Scheffler would be a huge mistake. Probably the best young TE in FF.

Why do we need a plan? If your .... enough to think that he wont be the primary TE in Denver then release him but its a big mistake.He will be a top 5 TE easily , Jackson and Graham cant catch anything besides a cold.
I doubt many, if anyone, plans on releasing him. This thread is (mostly) about putting together a contingency plan in case Shanahan does something rash. I think he will significantly outperform his ADP (I got him in the 11th), but i can't say I believe he will be top 5. Time will tell.

Please explain Scheffler's second-half production in 2007. Thanks.

I'm not discounting his receiving ability, but sooner or later a coach is going to get frustrated with a TE who can only catch and can't block. Those guys are called WR's, not TE's.

I'm not discounting his receiving ability, but sooner or later a coach is going to get frustrated with a TE who can only catch and can't block. Those guys are called WR's, not TE's.
And they won't get frustrated with a TE who can only block and can't catch? Those guys are called tackles.

As far as dynasty is concerned, I grabbed him as my 2nd TE so I'm not in panic mode as some who grabbed him as their #1 TE, and I think he has to be a 'hold' and wait for his actual value/production to meet my perceived value that I paid for him.

In the meantime, I grabbed Fasano as well (yes, that makes 3 TEs on my roster, but we have large rosters) as a contingency plan.

Users who are viewing this thread