What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sciatic nerve problem (1 Viewer)

You have seen an orthopedic for a diagnosis? Sicatica is a generic diagnosis for shooting pain down the leg. There are multiple treatment protocols for sciatica depending on where the nerve is being pinched.

I did a few years ago, but the pain was nothing like this, lower back, through the butt, my hamstrings are not hurting, just killer pain like I have never experienced

Treatment usually depends on condition. A lot of sciatic nerve pain is caused by a herniated disk, at least in my case. I had pretty severe pain for almost a year, and I'm still dealing with the remnants of it. it got so bad that I could barely walk without a severe limp.

I had some sciatic nerve issues some years ago due to bad posture riding my bike. It worked itself out over time, but it bugged me for about a year. Never in pain, though.

Get a gel icepack and lie on that for 15 minutes on the hour. Take three ibuprofin every 8 hours with food.

Go to PT, take notes or get some handouts to take home. Do the routine as they suggest, hopefully daily. Stretching and improving core strength were helpful.

Beds over couches.

Lose some weight.

Go see an orthopedic surgeon, even if you feel better after a few weeks of PT. At some point you may have a flare up and need a steroid injection to bring down inflammation and reduce pain. Already being a patient in someone's practice will cut down on the lead time for that, in my experience.

Ibuprofen helps take the edge off of my sciatica when it's a mild place. When severe, not even the heavy prescribed meds put a dent in the pain (for me). I spent a few months in that state... horrible. Just getting through a day of work (desk job) was excruciating.

Laying on your back with your legs on the couch or coffee table helps (hips at a 90 degree angle then knees at a 90 degree angle). This should take a tad of the pressure off of your impinged nerve.

Stretching at this phase is inadvisable, imo. I learned that the hard way. It will potentially enflame your nerve further... you don't want that. When dealing with nerve issues, don't do things that cuase nerve-related pain. It isn't a "no pain, no gain" situation. Listen to your body and let the nerve heal. (at some point down the road, stretching and PT will be critical though, just not the first small period of time) Wish someone would have told me this early on in my battle with sciatica. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you sleep on your back put a pillow under your feet to elevate them. If you sleep on your side put a pillow between your legs to keep your legs apart. Both things take pressure off your sciatic nerve. Stretching: sit on the floor, legs straight out, take right leg and put it over the left leg, your right foot should be over the left knee now slowly twist your upper body to the right and using your hands on the floor to support/guide you twist/stretch as far as you can. When you get as far as you can go hold the position and breathe through your nose and hold position for as long as you can. Then slowly reverse legs and twist to the left and repeat throughout the day. These are the only things I have found to quicken recovery time. Of course take a couple of Aleve to help with the pain but it won't solve the root problem and that is usually weak core muscles. When you get your back to no pain land, start to do exercises that strengthen the core to take the stress off of the lower back. Hope that helps.

Prolotherapy. Never tried it but have heard lots of good things about it lately. Unfortunately, insurance doesn't cover and it involves needles. Feel better soon.

get rest and therapy for now until it feels better. once you get better, get yourself into a regular stretching routine and start doing exercises to strengthen your lower back muscles (deadlifts, good mornings, etc.). if you strengthen the muscles in your back, it takes a lot of pressure off of the spine and disks, which is where the problem usually starts.

Go see a Rolfer, they specialize in structural integration. I had the same issue years ago and Rolfing helped so much.
My sister married an equine rolfer from Canada. I still wonder how they get the horse to sit still for that... :oldunsure:

L4-5 patient here. :hey:

I've had episodes where my left leg felt like a piano. On fire. First "bad" time precipitated the purchase of our first cordless phone some years back. Extra pillows. And a urinal.

It takes a cocktail of Hydrocodone (for the "ow!"), Piroxicam (anti-inflammatory) aaand Flexeril (muscle relaxer) to get me off my back and to the PT during my worst bouts. Thankfully those "only" occur every four years or so. Just about when I have slacked off from my stretching regimen to... :o

See an orthopedic surgeon to find out what's up and have him write you a script for PT.

Good luck and welcome to the club. We weren't meant to be bipeds... :cry:

L4-5 patient here. :hey: I've had episodes where my left leg felt like a piano. On fire. First "bad" time precipitated the purchase of our first cordless phone some years back. Extra pillows. And a urinal. It takes a cocktail of Hydrocodone (for the "ow!"), Piroxicam (anti-inflammatory) aaand Flexeril (muscle relaxer) to get me off my back and to the PT during my worst bouts. Thankfully those "only" occur every four years or so. Just about when I have slacked off from my stretching regimen to... :o See an orthopedic surgeon to find out what's up and have him write you a script for PT. Good luck and welcome to the club. We weren't meant to be bipeds... :cry:
That's what I have, L4/L5. Been managing it for about 2 years now without seeing a doctor at all. Nothing but OTC pain relievers, alcohol, ice, and exercise. For the last couple of months, it's been pretty bad though - hoping a week of vacation and not having to drive 2 hours a day and sit in a chair for another 8 will be a big help, otherwise I may be forced to seek professional help for the first time.

L4-5 patient here. :hey: I've had episodes where my left leg felt like a piano. On fire. First "bad" time precipitated the purchase of our first cordless phone some years back. Extra pillows. And a urinal. It takes a cocktail of Hydrocodone (for the "ow!"), Piroxicam (anti-inflammatory) aaand Flexeril (muscle relaxer) to get me off my back and to the PT during my worst bouts. Thankfully those "only" occur every four years or so. Just about when I have slacked off from my stretching regimen to... :o See an orthopedic surgeon to find out what's up and have him write you a script for PT. Good luck and welcome to the club. We weren't meant to be bipeds... :cry:
That's what I have, L4/L5. Been managing it for about 2 years now without seeing a doctor at all. Nothing but OTC pain relievers, alcohol, ice, and exercise. For the last couple of months, it's been pretty bad though - hoping a week of vacation and not having to drive 2 hours a day and sit in a chair for another 8 will be a big help, otherwise I may be forced to seek professional help for the first time.
22 years playing the game of dodging surgery. My doc says everyone's pain/patience threshold is different. I've seen too many multiple surgery patients- 2 of my siblings included- to hurry down that path. Stay active, try not to be stupid and maintaining weight, strength and flexibility are all key. Sucks, though...

Recently dealing with this...not to a major degree, though. Just like a nagging dull pain all down my left ### cheek/thigh.

Found it lessons the more I exercise/lift weights. Haven't seen a PT yet, but am planning to.

I see suggestions in here about laying on your back. I get more relief laying on my stomach. Most of the PT exercises I do are also in the prone position.

glock said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
glock said:
22 years playing the game of dodging surgery. My doc says everyone's pain/patience threshold is different. I've seen too many multiple surgery patients- 2 of my siblings included- to hurry down that path. Stay active, try not to be stupid and maintaining weight, strength and flexibility are all key. Sucks, though...
It really does. Weight is not an issue, I'm pretty thin, but strength and flexibility are.

I see suggestions in here about laying on your back. I get more relief laying on my stomach. Most of the PT exercises I do are also in the prone position.
Me too. On my stomach and propping my upper body up with my arms basically makes the pain stop. Unfortunately, it's an awkward position to maintain for extended periods of time (and the longer I do it, the more stiff my back gets and the more it hurts to get OUT of the position.)

Me too. On my stomach and propping my upper body up with my arms basically makes the pain stop. Unfortunately, it's an awkward position to maintain for extended periods of time (and the longer I do it, the more stiff my back gets and the more it hurts to get OUT of the position.)
I've heard that such a position actually is detrimental if held for too long, such as sleeping on one's stomach, but that helps me as well. My compressed disk was at L5-S1, and it was quite literally a pain in the ###. It flares up from time to time, but stretching and the occasional dose of ibuprofen help immensely.

Evilgrin 72 said:
36th Chamber said:
Shot of lidocaine straigh into the nerve worked for me
Ooof. That couldn't have been pleasant for the few seconds before it kicked in, no?
Correct, it felt like FIRE being injected into my body. In fact in hurt so much I instinctively grabbed the DR's arm

That being said it did help, the pain was worth it

I've heard that such a position actually is detrimental if held for too long, such as sleeping on one's stomach, but that helps me as well. My compressed disk was at L5-S1, and it was quite literally a pain in the ###. It flares up from time to time, but stretching and the occasional dose of ibuprofen help immensely.
Yeah, I sleep on my side, I only do this for maybe 5 minutes at a clip, and not that often.

Evilgrin 72 said:
36th Chamber said:
Ooof. That couldn't have been pleasant for the few seconds before it kicked in, no?
Correct, it felt like FIRE being injected into my body. In fact in hurt so much I instinctively grabbed the DR's arm That being said it did help, the pain was worth it
I broke my hand a couple of years back and (thankfully) it didn't require surgery, but the nurse practitioner needed to pop the bone/joint back into place, so he fired an injection of an anesthetic into the nerve at the wrist. It felt like frigging electricity being blasted through my hand/forearm. I can't even imagine injecting into the damn sciatic nerve, it's so much longer. That had to be brutal.

You'll find press-ups and other gems for a flexible back here.

Thanks guys, saw the chiropractor today, said I had to much inflammation for him, went to Er to try and get a shot, place was packed so we left, praying that tonight it gets better, talked to our team trainer, he is going to get me into a orthopedic physician

Evilgrin 72 said:
36th Chamber said:
Correct, it felt like FIRE being injected into my body. In fact in hurt so much I instinctively grabbed the DR's arm That being said it did help, the pain was worth it
I broke my hand a couple of years back and (thankfully) it didn't require surgery, but the nurse practitioner needed to pop the bone/joint back into place, so he fired an injection of an anesthetic into the nerve at the wrist. It felt like frigging electricity being blasted through my hand/forearm. I can't even imagine injecting into the damn sciatic nerve, it's so much longer. That had to be brutal.
I broke my wrist, rather the 8 bones in my wrist were all over the place, the orthopedist put them back and I didn't get any anesthetic. The sweat poured out of me!!! My pain threshold is through the roof now however. I wonder how come I didn't get any juice?

Recently dealing with this...not to a major degree, though. Just like a nagging dull pain all down my left ### cheek/thigh.

Found it lessons the more I exercise/lift weights. Haven't seen a PT yet, but am planning to.
So I have been dealing with a MAJOR flare up. In the past 2 month I have had a debilitating pain down my entire left leg and complete numbness on the outside of my left foot.

I was reffing basketball and had to quit after working through excruciating pain for a couple of nights. I have seen a doctor who put me on a prescription painkiller, anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer, visited a PT (4 visits), chiropractor (3 visits), massage therapist (1 visit) and yesterday received accpuncture.

Today I am just as bad as ever. On the pain scale of 1-10, I've been fluxuating between a 5 and 9 for weeks now.

Best part is that no one knows what my root cause is. Never been more frustrated in my life. And even better is that I am a CPA and it is tax season which means a lot of extra hours in an office chair. Hooray! :wall:

This is timely. I just drove the wife to the urgent care clinic last night for this, They wrote he a script for an anti-inflammatory and at least she can stand up on her own today,

She probably slipped a disc pushing a laundry cart at work, so I told her to make sure she fills in an accident report,

I've only experienced this joy once, many years ago, It felt like someone stuck a knife in my ### then sliced down all the way to my calf.

Thank God it cleared up on its own in a week or so.

Apple cider vinegar. helps reduce inflammation. I drink it every day. my sciatica is greatly reduced.

Also go to a podiatrist. If the other docs can't find the cause I'll bet it's your feet.

go to a meijer and use the doctor schoels orthotic insert machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this awhile ago. Lots of advil helped the immediate symptoms, but what helped get rid of it for good was doing a lot of weight lifting targeted at my lower back. "Good Mornings" are what I credit with curing my back pain/sciatica. I started doing those things and two weeks later I never felt them again. It was strange.

My lower back has been killing me lately. 10 days ago I had a shooting pain in my lower back after getting out of the shower and couldn't walk all weekend. Was on percocet, slept on the floor.

Gradually got better but now it's bad again after spending a lot of time commuting. I can walk, even do long runs and I can sit at my desk at work no problem. It's being in the car for almost an hour at a time that kills me. Very difficult to get out of the car.

my gf had this problem and the doctor said she had one leg a couple mms shorter than the other. she got a shoe implant on the shorter leg side and it seamed to help.

Users who are viewing this thread