What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scoring question - has this ever happened? (1 Viewer)

Bernman2

Footballguy
I know this has happened once since I remember, but I don't think I was involved in playing fantasy football at the time.

A QB throws a pass which is batted by a lineman and the QB catches it, then running it in for a TD.

My guess is it would be two touchdowns for the QB - one passing, one receiving, and whatever yards he ran to get the TD.

Anybody ever seen this scored?

:D

I think Brad Johnson did it with the Vikings, or maybe the Bucs

I'm old and I could be wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
So how was it scored fantasy-wise? 12 points?
Unless your league specifically excludes QBs from scoring receiving TDs, then Johnson should have received fantasy points for the following:1 pass completed for 3 yards1 passing TD1 reception for 3 yards1 receiving TD

Unless your league specifically excludes QBs from scoring receiving TDs, then Johnson should have received fantasy points for the following:1 pass completed for 3 yards1 passing TD1 reception for 3 yards1 receiving TD
I would say it is recorded as a rushing TD or whatever is the highest score for a TD (rushing or receiving in your league). There has to be a double dip rule.

I would say it is recorded as a rushing TD or whatever is the highest score for a TD (rushing or receiving in your league). There has to be a double dip rule.
Unless your league pre-established such a rule, it should be scored the way scooter said.

Logically, the QB gets points for a passing TD and receiving TD. There's no reason he shouldn't, unless your league has some obscure rule prohibiting it...which is no fun!

I might have been preseason. I remember reading about it. Let me find it.
My bad.Farves first competion was to himself but it was not a TD.

Favre's first completion as a Green Bay Packer was to himself. On September 13, 1992, in a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Favre's pass attempt was deflected by Ray Seals. Favre caught the deflection, but went down for a loss of 7 yards. He started the game in the second half.

Favre's first completion as a Green Bay Packer was to himself. On September 13, 1992, in a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Favre's pass attempt was deflected by Ray Seals. Favre caught the deflection, but went down for a loss of 7 yards. He started the game in the second half.
That is kinda cool, though. How many NFL quarterbacks can say that their first completion was to themselves?

That is kinda cool, though. How many NFL quarterbacks can say that their first completion was to themselves?
That's one of my favorite NFL trivia questions. Which future NFL Hall of Famer's first pass completion was to a future NFL Hall of Famer.

I owned and played Johnson that week and this is how our league scored it for me.
Me too, except that our league only scores 3 points for each passing TD. Johnson scored me 10 points just on that play alone.

I'm all for the "double-dip" exception to the rules for fantasy scoring. It's cute and all when it happens, but no way should a player get credited for 2 TD's (fantasy-wise) when only 1 TD was scored.

That would be like if you have team Def but you give the return TD points to both the team D and the player that ran it. Only 1 TD was scored in the game so it only counts towards a TD for 1 person/team.

I'm all for the "double-dip" exception to the rules for fantasy scoring. It's cute and all when it happens, but no way should a player get credited for 2 TD's (fantasy-wise) when only 1 TD was scored.That would be like if you have team Def but you give the return TD points to both the team D and the player that ran it. Only 1 TD was scored in the game so it only counts towards a TD for 1 person/team.
By this logic, all passing TDs should be split between the receiver and the quarterback.

I'm all for the "double-dip" exception to the rules for fantasy scoring. It's cute and all when it happens, but no way should a player get credited for 2 TD's (fantasy-wise) when only 1 TD was scored.That would be like if you have team Def but you give the return TD points to both the team D and the player that ran it. Only 1 TD was scored in the game so it only counts towards a TD for 1 person/team.
huh? Instead of an off-the-wall analogy, how about the obvious every game phenomenon of a TD pass. Does you league award 3 points to the receiver and QB or 6 to each player? Regardless, the QB is credited with a passing TD, a TD reception, passing yardage and receiving yardage. There is no "double-dip".

By this logic, all passing TDs should be split between the receiver and the quarterback.
By your logic, a census taker would count you as 2 people if you answered the door twice.

Don't know why this always becomes an issue, but FANTASY FOOTBALL IS NOT REAL FOOTBALL. The rules don't have to be exactly the same. One guy can get credit for two TDs on the same play. It's fine; really. A league isn't "better" if it tries to emulate the NFL perfectly. It's a different game and we score it differently.

In any case it would be wrong to punish B. Johnson because he caught his own pass. On every TD pass the QB gets credit and the receiver gest credit. Why change it because it's the same guy?

Don't know why this always becomes an issue, but FANTASY FOOTBALL IS NOT REAL FOOTBALL. The rules don't have to be exactly the same. One guy can get credit for two TDs on the same play. It's fine; really. A league isn't "better" if it tries to emulate the NFL perfectly. It's a different game and we score it differently.In any case it would be wrong to punish B. Johnson because he caught his own pass. On every TD pass the QB gets credit and the receiver gest credit. Why change it because it's the same guy?
I don't have a beef with what other people do. Just don't try to convince me it's the more logical way. The league I commish does not allow a player to get credited twice for the same TD. Which makes it NOT like real football where the player does get credited twice for the same TD. And it's not "punishment", it's a rule to make the scoring fair, just like not counting TD's against a team defense that were scored by the opposing team defense.

By your logic, a census taker would count you as 2 people if you answered the door twice.
That's the kind of toolish answer that makes me think that you are fishing.

Don't know why this always becomes an issue, but FANTASY FOOTBALL IS NOT REAL FOOTBALL. The rules don't have to be exactly the same. One guy can get credit for two TDs on the same play. It's fine; really. A league isn't "better" if it tries to emulate the NFL perfectly. It's a different game and we score it differently.In any case it would be wrong to punish B. Johnson because he caught his own pass. On every TD pass the QB gets credit and the receiver gest credit. Why change it because it's the same guy?
I don't have a beef with what other people do. Just don't try to convince me it's the more logical way. The league I commish does not allow a player to get credited twice for the same TD. Which makes it NOT like real football where the player does get credited twice for the same TD. And it's not "punishment", it's a rule to make the scoring fair, just like not counting TD's against a team defense that were scored by the opposing team defense.
How can it be considered "fair" if it takes points away from a player that rightfully earned them?

:thumbup:

If you feel my rational explanation of my view is toolish then I'd hate to see what you bring to this forum.

Get back to me when you can explain the logic behind 1 person scoring twice for the same TD in fantasy football terms. Is it comparable to a RB running it in, then backing up, then running it in again and counting that as 2 TD's?

Of course it makes sense when 2 separate people throw and then catch a TD. Yes it can happen in real life where it is the same person, but my league decided the logical and fair thing to do is count the yards & TD only 1 time if it is the same player that throws, and then catches the ball. We give the QB points as the WR would get in this case. If you don't find this to be a reasonable argument there's not much else I can do.

:no: If you feel my rational explanation of my view is toolish then I'd hate to see what you bring to this forum.Get back to me when you can explain the logic behind 1 person scoring twice for the same TD in fantasy football terms. Is it comparable to a RB running it in, then backing up, then running it in again and counting that as 2 TD's?
Such a play would be ruled dead the moment the player crossed the goal line. It has no connection whatsoever to the type of play we are discussing here.Again, I can't help but wonder if you're just making ridiculously toolish arguments for a fishing expedition.

:no: If you feel my rational explanation of my view is toolish then I'd hate to see what you bring to this forum.Get back to me when you can explain the logic behind 1 person scoring twice for the same TD in fantasy football terms. Is it comparable to a RB running it in, then backing up, then running it in again and counting that as 2 TD's?Of course it makes sense when 2 separate people throw and then catch a TD. Yes it can happen in real life where it is the same person, but my league decided the logical and fair thing to do is count the yards & TD only 1 time if it is the same player that throws, and then catches the ball. We give the QB points as the WR would get in this case. If you don't find this to be a reasonable argument there's not much else I can do.
Since you're all about logic, why do 2 players get credit for the td? In real football, the only score is by the person who crosses or is beyond the goal line when he has possession. In fantasy football, you have departed from real football.Now, if your rules say that the person who throws a pass gets points for throwing the td pass, and the person who catches it gets points for the receiving of the td, then, by logic, the same person should get double credit. However, since you don't like that, you have created a new rule, which overrides the prevailing rule. That is your privilege, but don't make it sound as if it is the only logical way. If you have to create a rule for something which has only happened once in the history of the NFL, you are into esoterica.

:no:

If you feel my rational explanation of my view is toolish then I'd hate to see what you bring to this forum.

Get back to me when you can explain the logic behind 1 person scoring twice for the same TD in fantasy football terms. Is it comparable to a RB running it in, then backing up, then running it in again and counting that as 2 TD's?
Such a play would be ruled dead the moment the player crossed the goal line. It has no connection whatsoever to the type of play we are discussing here.Again, I can't help but wonder if you're just making ridiculously toolish arguments for a fishing expedition.
:goodposting:

:goodposting:

Of course it makes sense when 2 separate people throw and then catch a TD. Yes it can happen in real life where it is the same person, but my league decided the logical and fair thing to do is count the yards & TD only 1 time if it is the same player that throws, and then catches the ball. We give the QB points as the WR would get in this case. If you don't find this to be a reasonable argument there's not much else I can do.
Since you're all about logic, why do 2 players get credit for the td? In real football, the only score is by the person who crosses or is beyond the goal line when he has possession. In fantasy football, you have departed from real football.Now, if your rules say that the person who throws a pass gets points for throwing the td pass, and the person who catches it gets points for the receiving of the td, then, by logic, the same person should get double credit. However, since you don't like that, you have created a new rule, which overrides the prevailing rule. That is your privilege, but don't make it sound as if it is the only logical way. If you have to create a rule for something which has only happened once in the history of the NFL, you are into esoterica.
Because this is FANTASY FOOTBALL. Everybody does it the way they see fit. I think TD & PPR leagues are dumb, but I don't go rip on those that like it.This thread has devolved enough. I gave my opinion and got ripped on, so I responded. Let's let it die already and get to more important matters.

Fair enough. Everyone should play the way they're most comfortable. I think it's definitely more logical to give the QB and receiver credit (no matter who they are) but as long as you enjoy the game, it's all good.

besides making sense, allowing the double-dip scoring is also more fun. and i say that as someone who lost a game due to the Brad Johnson play. here, over a decade later, i don't care about losing that game, but we still enjoy bringing up the story. it's part of the lore of the league.

Users who are viewing this thread