What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SD WR Vincent Jackson arrested (1 Viewer)

I was going to post this this morning. My buddy is a huge Charger fan and lives down in SD; he told me earlier today he heard from a friend in corrections that VJax just got busted with a DUI.

But since I didn't want to endure the "oh yeah my cousin's boss knows a girl who works for a guy who is best friends with so-and-so" posts I didn't bother posting. :goodposting:

Good to know those types of rumors are sometimes true ...

Jackson was on probation for a previous DUI arrest, CHP Officer Brad Baehr said.
Unbelievable. Everyone does stupid things but driving drunk when you are on probation is really stupid.

It should be interesting to see if the Chargers and/or league take any action before this week's game.

Godsbrother said:
Jackson was on probation for a previous DUI arrest, CHP Officer Brad Baehr said.
Unbelievable. Everyone does stupid things but driving drunk when you are on probation is really stupid.

It should be interesting to see if the Chargers and/or league take any action before this week's game.
He has been arrested but I assume not yet convicted. Does the league typically take action on stuff like this at this stage of the process? I'm not sure, but I didn't think so.

Godsbrother said:

He has been arrested but I assume not yet convicted. Does the league typically take action on stuff like this at this stage of the process? I'm not sure, but I didn't think so.
Goodell acted pretty swiftly on Pacman before he was convicted for anything. Matt Jones on the other hand got busted doing coke in his car and that dragged on forever. Marvin Harrison never sniffed a "strongly worded warning" for his gun shenanigans (which looks like it might now finally be heading to court a few days after the Colts season ended ...)So who knows, these things seem to be at the caprice of the Commish. :thumbup:

Godsbrother said:

Goodell acted pretty swiftly on Pacman before he was convicted for anything. Matt Jones on the other hand got busted doing coke in his car and that dragged on forever. Marvin Harrison never sniffed a "strongly worded warning" for his gun shenanigans (which looks like it might now finally be heading to court a few days after the Colts season ended ...)So who knows, these things seem to be at the caprice of the Commish. :thumbup:
I'd be pretty shocked if this incident resulted in Jackson being suspended for this week's game. Unless there are other factors involved that I'm not aware of.

Godsbrother said:

The team can take action if they want. When Santonio Holmes was arrested earlier this year for marijuana possession he was dismissed by the Steelers that week and missed the game against the Giants. Tomlin said the action was taken to eliminate distractions though it may have been to show that Holmes had been punished and therefore possibly reduce the likelihood of the NFL taking further action. In any case the suspension may have cost the Steelers the game against the Giants but it was a far cry from the playoffs. I can't blame the Chargers if they don't suspend him but it would really send a strong message to their players and the rest of the league if they did.

Godsbrother said:

Goodell acted pretty swiftly on Pacman before he was convicted for anything. Matt Jones on the other hand got busted doing coke in his car and that dragged on forever. Marvin Harrison never sniffed a "strongly worded warning" for his gun shenanigans (which looks like it might now finally be heading to court a few days after the Colts season ended ...)So who knows, these things seem to be at the caprice of the Commish. :confused:
Pacman's discipline was imposed under the league's personal conduct policy, which allows the commish to suspend a player as soon as the commish has completed his own investigation into whatever the player did.Jackson's situation, on the other hand, would be covered by the league's substance abuse policy. Under the section for alcohol-related offenses, the commish can impose a fine or suspension "if a player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law . . . relating to the use of alcohol."

As of right now, Jackson hasn't been convicted of anything -- and I doubt that he's admitted anything. He was merely arrested. It will probably be a couple of months before Jackson has to show up in court for his arraignment and enter a plea. In the meantime, he's legally innocent and the league can't punish him yet.

ETA: As Godsbrother mentions, the team could take some action. I don't think they're supposed to; but if VJ agrees to it, the players' union won't challenge it. On the other hand, I very much doubt that the Chargers would take any action against VJ during the playoffs. They'll probably just let the league deal with it after the Super Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Godsbrother said:

The team can take action if they want. When Santonio Holmes was arrested earlier this year for marijuana possession he was dismissed by the Steelers that week and missed the game against the Giants. Tomlin said the action was taken to eliminate distractions though it may have been to show that Holmes had been punished and therefore possibly reduce the likelihood of the NFL taking further action. In any case the suspension may have cost the Steelers the game against the Giants but it was a far cry from the playoffs. I can't blame the Chargers if they don't suspend him but it would really send a strong message to their players and the rest of the league if they did.
if this was some game in september and it was for weed then sureBut there are conflicting reports now not sure if he was even arrested.

The Giants Kareem McKenzie (starting RT) got a DUI before the Cardinals game this season and he wasnt suspended by the league. I dont think any suspensions will come down if Goodell is consistent.

if this was some game in september and it was for weed then sure
Driving a vehicle while drunk (and on probation).... is far far far far far far far worse then weed.
I agree but this is the playoffs so I am guessing we'll see no action by the team or league until after the playoffs (assuming Jackson is guilty).If he was arrested and driving with a BAC > 0.8 I don't see how this wouldn't be a violation of his probation. If so I would think a judge could toss him in jail anytime.

Dude screws up while on probation...he needs to sit, and the Chargers need to be the one to sit him...

I think this is pretty cut and dry, but I don't own the Chargers

if this was some game in september and it was for weed then sure
Driving a vehicle while drunk (and on probation).... is far far far far far far far worse then weed.
I agree but this is the playoffs so I am guessing we'll see no action by the team or league until after the playoffs (assuming Jackson is guilty).If he was arrested and driving with a BAC > 0.8 I don't see how this wouldn't be a violation of his probation. If so I would think a judge could toss him in jail anytime.
If he's already had a DUI, driving with a BAC > 0.0 violates his probation.

Basically what happened was he refused to take a breathalyzer and was taken into custody for it. Also, it's been reported in SD that he will play in this week's game and it's been confirmed by AJ Smith.

Update:

It was basically a routine traffic stop at first because he was driving erratically. However, there's rumors that VJ's BAC was .05 - not even above the limit. But, the trouble came in because he was on probation for his previous DUI. California has a zero tolerance policy when you are on probation.

That's why he made the statement "I look forward to clearing my name and proving my innocence."

Dude screws up while on probation...he needs to sit, and the Chargers need to be the one to sit him...I think this is pretty cut and dry, but I don't own the Chargers
Goodell may suspend him, but I highly doubt the Chargers will.They already got past the Colts and the Pats aren't in it. They smell the trophy and know that they may not get another chance. I doubt they'll bench their WR1 unless they're forced to.

I feel sorry for the profanity-laced scolding he is gonna get from Philip Rivers.
:yes:
:lmao: too
I thought I read somewhere that Rivers doesn't actually use proper swear words?
:moneybag: You mean like the gibberish the dad in "A Christmas Story" blurts out when he's fixing the furnace? Or he says "F-dash-dash-dash" instead of the actual word?
It's actually a long story. A few weeks ago, there was a thread talking about what a punk Rivers is, based on the way he was yelling stuff at Cutler last year and taunting teh indy crowd after last year's playoff game.A Rivers-apologist countered by saying he read somewhere that Rivers is actually a nice guy who never swears. :lmao:

Basically what happened was he refused to take a breathalyzer and was taken into custody for it. Also, it's been reported in SD that he will play in this week's game and it's been confirmed by AJ Smith.
Refusing to take a breathalyzer is an auto DUI.Implied consent laws are state statutes that require consent to chemical testing (blood alcohol content, breathalyzer, and/or urine tests for alcohol content) as a condition of operating a motor vehicle in public areas within the state.

Implied consent laws in 49 states authorize or require the suspension of a driver's license for refusing a breathalyzer or blood test.

It hits him like refusing to take the leagues drug test. Auto-positive.

In California and Vermont, drivers who refuse the chemical test can be sentenced to jail terms if they've previously been convicted of DUI.

Glad to see Chargers understanding their priorities. :stirspot:
Not it's not.

Refusing to take a breathalyzer is an auto DUI.
Not it's not. You can opt for a blood test instead.
so did he did take a blood test?
If he was arrested I imagine he did.

Refusing to take a breathalyzer is an auto DUI.
Not it's not. You can opt for a blood test instead.
so did he did take a blood test?
I have no idea. From the message board rumors I've seen, he was pulled over after he was speeding and swerving, and his BAC was ultimately tested at around half the legal limit.If it's true that he's already had a DUI (and is currently on probation), driving with a BAC of 0.04 or whatever would not be a separate crime (so I don't think Goodell can punish him for it), but it could lead to greater punishment retroactively for his first DUI.

(Rotoworld) The San Diego Union-Tribune confirms a National Football Post report that Vincent Jackson was already on probation for a DUI arrest prior to his second violation Tuesday morning.

Analysis: Jackson kept his June 2006 arrest very quiet, as it was never reported by a media outlet at the time. He still has not been formally charged with the new DUI. The Chargers say any potential discipline will be handled in-house.
So his original arrest was 2.5 years ago. I'm surprised he'd still be on probation, but I guess this means he didn't have two arrests quite as consecutively as some may have assumed.

(Rotoworld) The San Diego Union-Tribune confirms a National Football Post report that Vincent Jackson was already on probation for a DUI arrest prior to his second violation Tuesday morning.

Analysis: Jackson kept his June 2006 arrest very quiet, as it was never reported by a media outlet at the time. He still has not been formally charged with the new DUI. The Chargers say any potential discipline will be handled in-house.
So his original arrest was 2.5 years ago. I'm surprised he'd still be on probation, but I guess this means he didn't have two arrests quite as consecutively as some may have assumed.
I think it's typically five years. ("Probabtion" being loosely used to include a suspended sentence.)

I think it's typically five years. ("Probabtion" being loosely used to include a suspended sentence.)
all states are different but I had a buddy get a DUI, one year probation, the prob officer let him out after 6 months of no more trouble.So we are really speculating here.

Jackson's appeal likely buys him timeBy Brent SchrotenboerUnion-Tribune Staff Writer2:00 a.m. July 30, 2009Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson probably will avoid an NFL suspension this season after recently appealing a judge's ruling in his DUI case.The appeal probably will delay his legal case until after the 2009 season, which also would delay any suspension resulting from it.“This thing could be in the appellate courts for quite some time,” said Cole Casey, Jackson's attorney.Jackson was arrested Jan. 6 on suspicion of DUI. His blood-alcohol content measured at 0.17 percent, more than double the state limit of 0.08. At the time of his arrest, Jackson was on five years' probation for a 2006 drunken driving conviction in San Diego.The NFL's substance abuse policy states a second alcohol-related offense likely would result in a suspension. The policy states the NFL commissioner may impose discipline if a player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law for alcohol-related offenses. Jackson pleaded not guilty in February. In June, Jackson asked a San Diego Superior Court judge to throw out his blood-test results on the grounds that the test violated his Fourth Amendment rights, which guard against unreasonable search and seizures.Casey argued that Jackson was forced to have his blood drawn against his will after repeatedly requesting a breath test instead, as was his right. But the breath machine didn't immediately accept his sample, and Jackson moved slowly while removing personal items to be inventoried, according to the testimony of a California Highway Patrol officer. Because of this, the officer considered Jackson to be refusing the breath test. Jackson's blood then was drawn from his arm while his arms were handcuffed behind a chair.Judge Cynthia Bashant rejected Jackson's request, leading to his appeal.Casey said afterward he hoped the case would end up in federal court.

Users who are viewing this thread