What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Sean Payton, DEN (1 Viewer)

I remember a whole lot of suck after Brees retired
He only coached one season after Brees retired and the Saints went 9-8 with Winston/Hill as the QB.

Brees also was a shell of himself his last two seasons and the Saints went 25-7 in those seasons (8-1 in the games Brees missed those two seasons with Bridgewater and Hill starting).

I’m not sure what he’s worth but he’s been a very good coach.
He's a known commodity which is worth a lot. There are some nice coaching candidates out there but you are rolling the dice especially if it's a first timer. Payton has the clout to bring in the best coaches and attract the best free agents. He is the type of hire that will excite the fan base. His hiring could do wonders for a team like the Broncos who's fan base is on the outs. He may not have the same resume as Andy Reid or Belichick but he is right up there as far as coaching minds. Elite QB's and elite coaches are rare. If you have a chance to get one I don't think the price matters. You know what you are getting when you make this trade unlike trading for a player. I truly believe if Payton was the Broncos coach last year they would have won 3 or 4 more games and maybe more.

Payton has the clout to bring in the best coaches and attract the best free agents.
I hope so, because he's gonna cost 2x 1sts-ish.
I don't think it will cost that much for Denver but who knows. Carolina will have to pay dearly if they want him.

I'm starting to think he is gonna go back to broadcasting.

I'm starting to warm up to Demeco Ryans. We know he can coach the D. The players love him. He has been able to learn behind Shanahan. Saleh seems to be doing a good job in NY.

But then, this was from earlier today. Maybe just a bunch of junk being leaked :shrug:

(LINK)

Dianna Russini
@diannaESPN

Also to add to @JeffDuncan_ reporting—I was told there is also a team waiting in the wings watching all of this and could make a move if they gets “their ducks in a row”.

Jeff Duncan
@JeffDuncan_ · 8h​
Latest update on Sean Payton: He completed his interview with CAR on Monday in Charlotte and will meet with ARI officials Thursday, as previously reported. His second meeting with DEN has been delayed. IMO, the longer this goes, the likelihood of Payton staying at Fox increases.​

was he a great NFL coach the last, oh ,say, 5 years? I dunno , I don't remember N.O. doing anything special during that time frame. did they even win a playoff game?
Sean Payton isn't great he had a good QB he could use to pass the ball all over the shop with. I dont think he can do a reclamation process on Carolina, denver, Az,etc..
He won't come out of the booth this year, if ever. he's another Bill Cowher.

was he a great NFL coach the last, oh ,say, 5 years? I dunno , I don't remember N.O. doing anything special during that time frame. did they even win a playoff game?
Sean Payton isn't great he had a good QB he could use to pass the ball all over the shop with. I dont think he can do a reclamation process on Carolina, denver, Az,etc..
Winning record all 5 of those years, won their division 4 years in a row. Combined 58-23 record. Won a playoff game in 3 of those 4 post seasons. One infamous blown call kept them out of a SB appearance as well.

Denver isn’t a reclamation project. They had a ton of injuries and horrific coaching. They have plenty of talent to rebound this year.

Denver isn’t a reclamation project. They had a ton of injuries and horrific coaching. They have plenty of talent to rebound this year.
They also had a horrible QB.
Indeed he was, but Denver lost 3 games in OT, two games by 1 point (won one by 1point too), and lost multiple other games by 7pts or less. Even average coaching (and Hackett was massively below average) would have that team and defense close to a .500 record despite Wilson’s poor play.

If Payton thinks Wilson is unsalvageable he should stay far away obviously, but with that defense and the skill players on offense it’s a team poised to compete again. I certainly would want to know I had some airtight security for 4 or 5 years in case you have to jettison Wilson in 2024 and be hamstrung by his massive contract on the cap for a few years.

Sean Payton takes a year off, this time by his own choice

-These coaches can only stay gone so long and their light starts to dim a little bit and Payton did not seem like a good TV/media guy.
-There's a limited number of teams, he probably wants an established QB, Brees was coming off his rookie deal by the time Payton got him. He might not be that interested in a rookie QB.

Denver is the biggest thing out West outside of the Niners, huge following. He'll croak on 1:00 kickoffs in Carolina, an afterthought.
Russell Wilson is typically primetime match ups and that is where Sean Payton wants to be.
I don't see Houston as a potential fit and I also think Arizona is such a hot mess he would pass on that.
Carolina has some draft capital but mostly a terrible QB situation, he'd likely have to try and secure another QB trade, not sure Carr and Payton are destined to work together. I also don't see Payton going to another team in the same NFC South...but it's a fairly soft division in the softer of the 2 conferences, clear path to victory for whoever can grab it.

I actually don't think Payton would turn down any head coaching job that gave him the financial compensation he wants, the control he wants and of course gave the Saints what they want. My belief right now is no such team exists and out of those 3 criteria his financial compensation is the least of the holdups.

He ain’t 25M and 2x 1sts good.
That's different then saying "he sucked without Brees".
Oh I wasn’t saying he sucked without Brees.

You weren't? What's this supposed to mean (your words)?

"I remember a whole lot of suck after Brees retired."

Then the backtrack began, after being questioned/corrected. Hilarious.
Exactly that. There were some down times. I saw some sucky football.

First you’re weird to me over a comment about Vegas because you literally didn’t understand an obvious joke, and now this. Two strikes and you’re out. Welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:

-These coaches can only stay gone so long and their light starts to dim a little bit and Payton did not seem like a good TV/media guy.
-There's a limited number of teams, he probably wants an established QB, Brees was coming off his rookie deal by the time Payton got him. He might not be that interested in a rookie QB.

Denver is the biggest thing out West outside of the Niners, huge following. He'll croak on 1:00 kickoffs in Carolina, an afterthought.
Russell Wilson is typically primetime match ups and that is where Sean Payton wants to be.
I don't see Houston as a potential fit and I also think Arizona is such a hot mess he would pass on that.
Carolina has some draft capital but mostly a terrible QB situation, he'd likely have to try and secure another QB trade, not sure Carr and Payton are destined to work together. I also don't see Payton going to another team in the same NFC South...but it's a fairly soft division in the softer of the 2 conferences, clear path to victory for whoever can grab it.
Carolina would have to give up a lot of that draft capital to get Payton. I haven’t heard any buzz since he interviewed with them Monday.

Carolina would have to give up a lot of that draft capital to get Payton. I haven’t heard any buzz since he interviewed with them Monday.
And that would be idiotic given Carolina would have to face that capital twice a year.

I heard on NFL radio that he's looking to get $20-$25M a year. Can that be right?

Supposedly BB is at around $20M/year so yes, if Payton is looking to use his leverage it can be right.
The more I’ve read about coaching salaries the less interesting that “20-25M” figure seems. Pretty standard for top level coaches, which Payton pretty clearly is.

It’s only that NOS has control of him & would have to deal him that gets ugly for whichever lucky team has to pay NOS to get him.

It’s a weird situation. Were I a GM I might be more inclined to test the waters with an up & comer like DeMeco Ryans than pay that compensation + whatever picks to get Payton.

Especially in light of the success McDaniel has had in MIA this year. That Shanahan coaching tree has been impressive. Players love playing for Ryans, and his fire on the sidelines is palpable.

I don’t think it would be overly expensive pick-wise to acquire Payton. I know the rumored price is at least 2 1sts but rumors are usually on the ask price and often deals are done for less. I know the Gruden trade is mentioned a lot but he was in his 30’s at the time. I would think the 28 this year or Denver’s 2024 1st would be enough, maybe another mid round pick in there, Denver does have an extra 3rd.

Payton has the clout to bring in the best coaches and attract the best free agents.
I don't think it will cost that much for Denver but who knows. Carolina will have to pay dearly if they want him.

I'm starting to warm up to Demeco Ryans. We know he can coach the D. The players love him. He has been able to learn behind Shanahan. Saleh seems to be doing a good job in NY.
Starting to warm up? Dude should be on the very short list. It makes too much sense for him in Houston but I hope he doesn’t land there.

There is a preference for offensive coaches but Ryans should be able to hire a good OC, especially as the Texans will be in position to get Young or Stroud.

I don’t think it would be overly expensive pick-wise to acquire Payton. I know the rumored price is at least 2 1sts but rumors are usually on the ask price and often deals are done for less. I know the Gruden trade is mentioned a lot but he was in his 30’s at the time. I would think the 28 this year or Denver’s 2024 1st would be enough, maybe another mid round pick in there, Denver does have an extra 3rd.
I think you're right on here. I expect at least a first, but it could be either 2023 or 2024. I also think more is needed to sweeten the pot -- that could be a 2024 2nd, a 2023 2nd-3rd, or some combo of 2023-24 3rds-5ths.

Starting to warm up? Dude should be on the very short list. It makes too much sense for him in Houston but I hope he doesn’t land there.

There is a preference for offensive coaches but Ryans should be able to hire a good OC, especially as the Texans will be in position to get Young or Stroud.
Spot on. I think Ryan’s is the best coaching candidate available of the “new faces”
Also, breaking:

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports former Saints head coach Sean Payton is "more likely than not" to return to FOX Sports as an analyst.​

Garafolo said point-blank, "I don't think he's getting that Denver job." There were initial reports that Payton had earned a second interview with the Broncos, a good sign that he was still in the running for their head coaching vacancy. However, later reports indicated nothing had been scheduled yet, and that's where their dance currently stands. Any team looking to hire Payton needs to negotiate a trade with the Saints to get him. They then have to give Payton what will likely be a lucrative contract. With plenty of other strong candidates available this offseason, it looks like the barriers to acquiring Payton's services have become too high.

The recent flurry of agent leaks/news has been most confusing.

I'm not seeing that teams need to be especially in a hurry to hire a new coach for 2023, though. Don't the bulk of new NFL hires usually happen after the Super Bowl? Not all new HC hires, but a high percentage? None of the openings have yet been filled.

Wow! I couldn't imagine giving up ONE 1st round pick for someone that doesn't touch the ball.

Benjamin Allbright said he's not seeing a bidding war for Payton.

Might have overrated his status
I don’t see why Payton would leave the cushy cozy booth to go back to the hellscape that is the NFL.

I understand the passion for the game, but there is literally zero pressure and all of the money for sitting in the booth.

Benjamin Allbright said he's not seeing a bidding war for Payton.

Might have overrated his status
I don’t see why Payton would leave the cushy cozy booth to go back to the hellscape that is the NFL.

I understand the passion for the game, but there is literally zero pressure and all of the money for sitting in the booth.

Fully agree. And I can't see teams giving up a LOT to trade for a coach... assuming a Drew Brees in his prime does not come with the package.

Wow! I couldn't imagine giving up ONE 1st round pick for someone that doesn't touch the ball.
So you think the Pats overpaid when they sent the Jets a first for Belichick?

I'm not saying Payton is BB. I have no idea if he's worth a first-round pick. Historically, most SB-winning coaches on their second stops have managed to elevate the franchise but also underachieved relative to their earlier success.

But the blanket statement that no coach is worth a first rounder is obviously, provably, false. A great coach can influence a franchise's success as much if not more than a HOF QB

I'm not seeing that teams need to be especially in a hurry to hire a new coach for 2023, though. Don't the bulk of new NFL hires usually happen after the Super Bowl? Not all new HC hires, but a high percentage? None of the openings have yet been filled.
They're usually all filled by the Super Bowl - that's why the NFL has to change interview rules for coaches of teams in the playoffs - because they used to miss out by advancing in the playoffs.

So you think the Pats overpaid when they sent the Jets a first for Belichick?

I'm not saying Payton is BB. I have no idea if he's worth a first-round pick. Historically, most SB-winning coaches on their second stops have managed to elevate the franchise but also underachieved relative to their earlier success.

But the blanket statement that no coach is worth a first rounder is obviously, provably, false. A great coach can influence a franchise's success as much if not more than a HOF QB

BB and Payton have one thing in common... neither looked (looks) very "genius" without a HOF QB.

That's why - if I were Sean Payton - which I am not - I would go back to the broadcast team now that it looks like the Chargers are going to stick with their idiot coach.

Shula cost Miami a first for "tampering" just before the AFL and NFL merger. In the NBA, the Riley cost the Heat a 1st.

It really is amazing that no coach has won a Super Bowl with two different teams. A bunch won with one team after losing with another (most recently Andy Reid). And Parcells and Holmgren are the only SB winners to even make it back with another team. Actually Parcells' career trajectory is kind of interesting: Won twice with Giants, lost with Pats, lost AFCCG with Jets, lost wildcard with Cowboys.

I don't want to read too much into what it admittedly a small sample size, but it really does seem like those guys are good coaches to get if your franchise is down in the dumps and needs to at least rise to respectability, but maybe not the ones to put you over the top. Something for Jags fans to keep in mind.

It really is amazing that no coach has won a Super Bowl with two different teams. A bunch won with one team after losing with another (most recently Andy Reid). And Parcells and Holmgren are the only SB winners to even make it back with another team. Actually Parcells' career trajectory is kind of interesting: Won twice with Giants, lost with Pats, lost AFCCG with Jets, lost wildcard with Cowboys
Someone else made the point that once they didn't have their HOF QB things tended to go downhill. Of course outside of Brady the reverse is usually also true. The right combo seems to be key.

At age 59, going on 60, I wonder if Payton has the drive of a 40 year old Shula, or 48 year old Belichick, or 50 year old Riley, who turned franchises around.

there will be far better opportunities if he comes back to coaching next season. Shrags was saying this on GMFB. why coach Murray, or Wilson, or Darnold's Panthers, or the Texans who need a QB and many other skill positions.
sit tight, wait a year, Dallas opens up, Cleveland with the best RB in the game and Deshaun Watson, and the best o-line. I'd be shocked if he goes anywhere BUT Indy this year, IF he comes back in 2023. these guys like to be wined and dined by these billionaire owners. hes eating lobster in Carolina. TexMex in Houston, god knows what they eat in Az, and some beef with rocky mtn oysters in Denver. maybe take in a day of skiing. why would you leave the booth to coach one of these 4 scrub teams??

It really is amazing that no coach has won a Super Bowl with two different teams. A bunch won with one team after losing with another (most recently Andy Reid). And Parcells and Holmgren are the only SB winners to even make it back with another team. Actually Parcells' career trajectory is kind of interesting: Won twice with Giants, lost with Pats, lost AFCCG with Jets, lost wildcard with Cowboys.

I don't want to read too much into what it admittedly a small sample size, but it really does seem like those guys are good coaches to get if your franchise is down in the dumps and needs to at least rise to respectability, but maybe not the ones to put you over the top. Something for Jags fans to keep in mind.

It’s interesting but not really surprising.
First, only 35 coaches have ever won a Super Bowl. Second, owners like to keep a great coach. Perhaps most importantly, actually winning a Super Bowl is really tough and takes luck. So many stars need to align to get you there, lightening doesn’t usually strike twice in the same spot, but it’s far more likely for it to strike the same place than it is to strike the same person twice in different places.

He ain’t 25M and 2x 1sts good.
That's different then saying "he sucked without Brees".
Oh I wasn’t saying he sucked without Brees.

You weren't? What's this supposed to mean (your words)?

"I remember a whole lot of suck after Brees retired."

Then the backtrack began, after being questioned/corrected. Hilarious.
Exactly that. There were some down times. I saw some sucky football.

First you’re weird to me over a comment about Vegas because you literally didn’t understand an obvious joke, and now this. Two strikes and you’re out. Welcome to my ignore list.

I'm only quoting you, no need to get upset. Someone prior to me called you out on it.

Then, when it was pointed out to you -- CLEAR AS DAY -- your backtrack was amusing, to say the least.

Sorry that bothered you.

Users who are viewing this thread