What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Semi-Final playoff tie (1 Viewer)

I think several of the methods proposed are fair. Highest seed is reasonable. Going to decimal scoring to break the tie is also very reasonable. It's probably as close as you can come determining a winner using the existing scoring system and lineup.

Also, having them play again and move the SB back isn't bad, although it is probably my least favorite of the three because there are teams who draft with the SB week matchups taken into account... and I've played week 17 SBs and it does suck if you lose a bunch of your starters.

I'll throw one other option out there I don't recall seeing (and apologies if I missed it).

Coin flip.

I think it is clearly preferred to have something about the actual fantasy team's results decide it. But when you have to decide on the method after the fact, it does give the appearance of choosing one winner over another since the results would be known before the decision is made. The coin flip does have an advantage over the rest in that it is completely unbiased against either team, nor does it potentially hurt the next week's opponent by changing the playoff schedule or the like. You've already got several decent options as mentioned, but unfortunately their results are already known.

I don't think a coin flip is the ideal way to break a tie (though I think every tie break rule should end with it or something similar that will always work)... but it might be something that is easiest for the owners involved to accept as not being unfair to them. I might broach it to the two owners involved and see if they'd feel it is an acceptable way to resolve it. Trying to reach a fair decision that everyone can also live with is a big goal for a commish here. If they'll agree to it, then the league probably wins as a whole.

Also, if you do go that way and wish something else outside of your league to reference as being impartial in your decision, in a thread we've got on rules that leagues should consider covering, this is one of them specifically mentioned. #13 in the list. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=272290 And that thread has been around for quite awhile, much longer than this situation has existed, so it's definitely impartial in that regard.

So anyway, if it were me, I'd offer both owners the option of coin flip in the hopes they'll both feel it's fair. If they don't... I might still go with coin flip. If I went with one of the other options, I'd personally go with decimal scoring first as I think the inclusion of the player's actual starting lineup results is probably the best method available. In a league that already does decimal scoring, I'd go to seeding.

I think several of the methods proposed are fair. Highest seed is reasonable. Going to decimal scoring to break the tie is also very reasonable. It's probably as close as you can come determining a winner using the existing scoring system and lineup.

Also, having them play again and move the SB back isn't bad, although it is probably my least favorite of the three because there are teams who draft with the SB week matchups taken into account... and I've played week 17 SBs and it does suck if you lose a bunch of your starters.

I'll throw one other option out there I don't recall seeing (and apologies if I missed it).

Coin flip.

I think it is clearly preferred to have something about the actual fantasy team's results decide it. But when you have to decide on the method after the fact, it does give the appearance of choosing one winner over another since the results would be known before the decision is made. The coin flip does have an advantage over the rest in that it is completely unbiased against either team, nor does it potentially hurt the next week's opponent by changing the playoff schedule or the like. You've already got several decent options as mentioned, but unfortunately their results are already known.

I don't think a coin flip is the ideal way to break a tie (though I think every tie break rule should end with it or something similar that will always work)... but it might be something that is easiest for the owners involved to accept as not being unfair to them. I might broach it to the two owners involved and see if they'd feel it is an acceptable way to resolve it. Trying to reach a fair decision that everyone can also live with is a big goal for a commish here. If they'll agree to it, then the league probably wins as a whole.

Also, if you do go that way and wish something else outside of your league to reference as being impartial in your decision, in a thread we've got on rules that leagues should consider covering, this is one of them specifically mentioned. #13 in the list. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=272290 And that thread has been around for quite awhile, much longer than this situation has existed, so it's definitely impartial in that regard.

So anyway, if it were me, I'd offer both owners the option of coin flip in the hopes they'll both feel it's fair. If they don't... I might still go with coin flip. If I went with one of the other options, I'd personally go with decimal scoring first as I think the inclusion of the player's actual starting lineup results is probably the best method available. In a league that already does decimal scoring, I'd go to seeding.
:boxing: In the absence of any clear rules...this is the right answer. That said....

1. It is almost criminally irresponsible not to have had a tiebreak procedure in place. The fact that this wasn't a decimal scoring system and had ties in regular season before makes it laughable....like those live cop shows where they bust the dumbest criminals in history.

2. Since you had no system...make the two who tied split their winnings evenly. (Why hasn't anyone suggested this yet?)

With a coin flip, and split winnings, nobody can complain.

It goes without saying that your rules need a serious overhaul for next year.

With a coin flip, and split winnings, nobody can complain.It goes without saying that your rules need a serious overhaul for next year.
Actually, we're in our 16th year. Rules are fine. No need for an overhaul. Not many leagues last as long as ours has and with a very large amount of original members. Not sure where 'serious overhaul' comes in. Perhaps you're just trying to be dramatic.Anyway, as admitted, the playoff-tie was an oversight. According to multiple others in this thread, it's an oversite in other leagues, too.

With a coin flip, and split winnings, nobody can complain.It goes without saying that your rules need a serious overhaul for next year.
Actually, we're in our 16th year. Rules are fine. No need for an overhaul. Not many leagues last as long as ours has and with a very large amount of original members. Not sure where 'serious overhaul' comes in. Perhaps you're just trying to be dramatic.Anyway, as admitted, the playoff-tie was an oversight. According to multiple others in this thread, it's an oversite in other leagues, too.
Sorry...I meant the "tiebreakers" section of your rules.

Seriously Newbie, this came up a couple of years ago because our long time league didn't have a playoff tiebreaker either but I just amended the rules mid-season to total points because that is the first tie-breaker we use for every other instance. Granted, a tie had not already taken place so this change did not directly affect any game outcomes. Good luck.

I'm going to give the two tie-game participants a choice.....

==They can agree to have me refigure the scoring using decimal scoring, or

==They can agree to a coin flip.

+ They can also simply agree to split the money after one of the two above methods are chosen to determine the finalist. If they do this, they walk away with teh same amount of money, but the other playoff winner only has to face one of them.

I'm going to give the two tie-game participants a choice.....==They can agree to have me refigure the scoring using decimal scoring, or==They can agree to a coin flip.+ They can also simply agree to split the money after one of the two above methods are chosen to determine the finalist. If they do this, they walk away with teh same amount of money, but the other playoff winner only has to face one of them.
Sounds like a pretty good decision to me. Good luck with it. :thumbup:

The league does not use decimal scoring, although we have begun discussing making the switch next year. (Just for fun, I figured out the scoring with a decimal system and it broke the tie, surprisingly, by a fairly wide margin).The main problem here, is that we've been in existance for a long time (1992) and we rarely even have a tie during the regualr season (probably around 5 in 16 years). In fact, at a pre-draft meeting a year or so ago, someone brought up the possibility of a playoff tie and a lot of suggestions were tossed around, but no concrete rule was ever put in place and it was never discussed again. Mea Culpa, as comissioner).I figured out who wins the tie by every suiggestion in this thread. Decimal, starters TDs, high bench player, total bench score, and seed. The same guy wins every single tie-breaker except one...seed. And that is because he beat teh other guy head-to-head twice during the regular season (which is tie-breaker #1). The lower-seed even had more total points.To make matters worse, I won the other semi-final game, so it will determoine my opponent in teh finals, thus making any decision I make be a conflict of interest.As commisioner, I may just send out a league-wide email and have the other guys (omitting me and the two participants) vote after being presented all the data.What say ye?
I disagree. Voting allows for rooting interest. If there's a guy in your league that has dominated and is a heavy favorite then people will automatically vote against him, same way they'd vote for the Cinderella story. You need to man up and make a decision. Seems like you've already done your homework and come up with a good justification for awarding the win to the guy that swept all but one of the tiebreaker options. Unfortunately for you, you already blew this one by not having a concrete rule in place. Take the heat and learn from it. If you really feel inebted to the loser give him some of your winnings from your playoff run provided he understands it's in the form of a "self-fine" for your error. Don't let him think it's "hush money" for covering your mistake and in no way should it be considered a precedent for future mistakes. I'd only recommend doing this if you feel it will be viewed as righting a wrong. Some people may consider it something entirely different and unethical.
If I allow voting, I'm not too worried about the friend-thing. We are all local guys from a small town who share beers frequently. Everyone is friends.As for feeling indebted to whoever loses, I wouldn't feel bad at all. Although it is a good league as far as consistency goes, there is not a lot of dedication. No one else will even step up to be treasurer. I have to collect, keep track, and hold all the money. In fact, one guy didn't even have his money at the draft and I agreed (against our league rules) to let him owe me the other half until he would "run it over to my house next week". That was in late August. I still don't have it. Ironically, he's one of the owners involved in this tie.As for someone thinking I have a preference as to who I play in the finals, both were 8-6 and there was only a 6 pt. per game difference in their point total. It doesn't matter to me, so I'm not worrying about either of them, or any of the others in the league, thinking I have a preferred opponent. Both have quality lineups. As for the 'righting of a wrong', that would have to be a league-wide financial consolation. Every rule we make or change is league-wide. Same goes for the idea of thinking of everything. I ceratinly will not punish myself when I'm the only one willing to do anything for this league.
Fortunately for you your league seems to have more camraderie than mine. I've got a lot of "go for the jugular at the first moment you feel you've been wronged" types. You'll have an easier time finding a resolution and will deal with far less garbage.Not to open another can of worms but if I'm Commish and I'm having to find a resolution on this issue and one of my owners still hasn't paid? ..... well that might be the tiebreaker right there. Of course that's easy for me to say from the outside looking in. Still, use this opportunity to make sure your delinquint owner knows he needs to pay up immediately.

The league does not use decimal scoring, although we have begun discussing making the switch next year. (Just for fun, I figured out the scoring with a decimal system and it broke the tie, surprisingly, by a fairly wide margin).The main problem here, is that we've been in existance for a long time (1992) and we rarely even have a tie during the regualr season (probably around 5 in 16 years). In fact, at a pre-draft meeting a year or so ago, someone brought up the possibility of a playoff tie and a lot of suggestions were tossed around, but no concrete rule was ever put in place and it was never discussed again. Mea Culpa, as comissioner).I figured out who wins the tie by every suiggestion in this thread. Decimal, starters TDs, high bench player, total bench score, and seed. The same guy wins every single tie-breaker except one...seed. And that is because he beat teh other guy head-to-head twice during the regular season (which is tie-breaker #1). The lower-seed even had more total points.To make matters worse, I won the other semi-final game, so it will determoine my opponent in teh finals, thus making any decision I make be a conflict of interest.As commisioner, I may just send out a league-wide email and have the other guys (omitting me and the two participants) vote after being presented all the data.What say ye?
I disagree. Voting allows for rooting interest. If there's a guy in your league that has dominated and is a heavy favorite then people will automatically vote against him, same way they'd vote for the Cinderella story. You need to man up and make a decision. Seems like you've already done your homework and come up with a good justification for awarding the win to the guy that swept all but one of the tiebreaker options. Unfortunately for you, you already blew this one by not having a concrete rule in place. Take the heat and learn from it. If you really feel inebted to the loser give him some of your winnings from your playoff run provided he understands it's in the form of a "self-fine" for your error. Don't let him think it's "hush money" for covering your mistake and in no way should it be considered a precedent for future mistakes. I'd only recommend doing this if you feel it will be viewed as righting a wrong. Some people may consider it something entirely different and unethical.
If I allow voting, I'm not too worried about the friend-thing. We are all local guys from a small town who share beers frequently. Everyone is friends.As for feeling indebted to whoever loses, I wouldn't feel bad at all. Although it is a good league as far as consistency goes, there is not a lot of dedication. No one else will even step up to be treasurer. I have to collect, keep track, and hold all the money. In fact, one guy didn't even have his money at the draft and I agreed (against our league rules) to let him owe me the other half until he would "run it over to my house next week". That was in late August. I still don't have it. Ironically, he's one of the owners involved in this tie.As for someone thinking I have a preference as to who I play in the finals, both were 8-6 and there was only a 6 pt. per game difference in their point total. It doesn't matter to me, so I'm not worrying about either of them, or any of the others in the league, thinking I have a preferred opponent. Both have quality lineups. As for the 'righting of a wrong', that would have to be a league-wide financial consolation. Every rule we make or change is league-wide. Same goes for the idea of thinking of everything. I ceratinly will not punish myself when I'm the only one willing to do anything for this league.
Fortunately for you your league seems to have more camraderie than mine. I've got a lot of "go for the jugular at the first moment you feel you've been wronged" types. You'll have an easier time finding a resolution and will deal with far less garbage.Not to open another can of worms but if I'm Commish and I'm having to find a resolution on this issue and one of my owners still hasn't paid? ..... well that might be the tiebreaker right there. Of course that's easy for me to say from the outside looking in. Still, use this opportunity to make sure your delinquint owner knows he needs to pay up immediately.
At this point, the owner who didn't pay-in-full will be owed money due to his prize winnings, regardless of how the tie is broken.

Users who are viewing this thread