What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Semi-Official Packers 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

sho nuff

Footballguy
First day of camp...

What worries you the most?

Excites you the most?

Id say for most...the biggest worry may be about the same thing. Oline. How will the shift of Bulaga and Lang play out...and who will step up at RT.

Excites...Id say seeing what a strengthened (hopefully) run game can do for the offense.

Few notes...Sherrod PUP...seems they think he is very close to returning though. Hopefully only another week out or I just don't think they can keep holding on to him any longer.

Neal on PUP but not sure what it was about.

Worries....Injuries, as always. I am surprised that no one is out for the year from today.

Excites....The battle for the number 4 WR spot. This spot could be a nice sleeper for a fantasy team with Jordy's injuries.

Worried: Will the non super stars step up on defense? Brad Jones/Hawk/D. Jones/Nick Perry/MD Jennings/Shields/Heyward and Mason Crosby

Excited: Camp battles at RB/backup QB/CB/DE, will a backup TE step up to make Finley expendable in a year, OL gelling,

Everything I've read on Sherrod suggests that post injury, he's not going to be much more than a backup.

I've given up on Mike Neal. I read an AFC scout called him a little man pumped up trying to play a big mans game. I've abandoned hope on both of those guys.

Worries me the most... EDS, Newhouse V Barclay battle

Excites me the most... Eddie Lacy in pads and a healthy Nick Perry... The battle in the CB pecking order...

So...Lacy is fat...but not really.

Seriously, he seems to be taking the jokes well...but looking at other pictures...that one was quite unflattering.

Should be an interesting battle to watch (starks apparently looking good too...still don't think he makes it if Harris comes back quickly enough)

Reading some of the tweets by the beat guys...Datone Jones looks good. Even have him on special teams. Saying for his size he moves great. Will be nice to beef up that front some more...especially with a guy who can move well too.

Cobb full time on offense is exciting.

The good news is the oline (52 sacks given up last year) can't get worse. I know, I know many were Rodgers fault for holding the ball too damn long, but most were just crappy oline play.

It will be interesting from a fans perspective to see who gets the bulk of the carries, but I wouldn't want any part of this RBBC in fantasy.

Dom Capers worries me, if he hasn't totally changed his ways, the defense will still get destroyed by the better teams. Bringing him back was the worst mistake they could have made in mho. However, I think we have great talent on defense and getting rid of a handicap in coverage like Woodson was brilliant, so hopefully the philosophy has changed.

The good news is the oline (52 sacks given up last year) can't get worse. I know, I know many were Rodgers fault for holding the ball too damn long, but most were just crappy oline play.
Why can't the OL get worse? They ranked 21st in Pro Football Focus.

If Bulaga was thought to be a LT, he would've started at that spot last year. IMO, he's a huge worry because I don't think he's quick enough for that side(see Bruce Irvin last year).

Sitton is good and going from Right to Left side is less of a worry for a OG.

EDS hasn't started very much and could be good or bad.

RT is a competition and they've already lost a rookie draft pick for the season.

Any time a team takes on a bunch of change, worse is certainly an option.

I'm stunned with how crappy the defense looked last year that everyone is worried about the offensive line. They are a mediocre at best unit but I'm not worried about them...should be the same as always and the Pack should put up 30 points a game maybe more now they appear to have some legit RB's (which is most exciting to me).

I'm worried about the defense. The defensive line that couldn't plug holes last year and LB's (not including Clay) that didn't make any sort of impact plays at all. I'm also worried that Dom Capers is going to be stubborn and not make any adjustments even though the opponents are doing the same thing over and over again. Yes I'm still bitter about the 49ers game but I'm excited for a new season....just worried we're going to see more of the same from the defense. The addition of Datonne should help but with Hawk and Brad Jones in the middle does nothing for me except make me cringe.

If Bulaga was thought to be a LT, he would've started at that spot last year. IMO, he's a huge worry because I don't think he's quick enough for that side(see Bruce Irvin last year).

RT is a competition and they've already lost a rookie draft pick for the season.

EDS has started 6 games at C last year (3 starts the previous year, though I believe they were at RG)...while not a lot...he has played in quite a bit as well...and Rodgers does nothing but praise him. Barclay, along with competing at RT...has taken snaps now at C (though, messed up 2 snaps).

Im with you on Bulaga being a worry...but as much of a worry, he should at least be an upgrade to the amount of pressure Newhouse did allow.

Newhouse improved a little, but not enough to stay at LT...we will see what he, Barclay, and maybe Sherrod can do at RT (but not holding my breath on Sherrod).

And its early, but another rookie is making noise (Bakhtari was impressive recently and even beating Clay in one on one work).

Keeping healthy...they should improve a bit...but still not be a great OL.

Running game should help...and its not just the rookies. Reading that Starks has looked good...and Green has been cutting better than he ever did last year (helps being further removed from the ACL...this might be a full blown RBBC that does not just feature the 2 rookies)

I wish they'd canned Capers. I'm not normally a knee jerker when it comes to coaching but he was clearly out of his depth last year in terms of preparation for Kaepernick.

EDS has started 6 games at C last year (3 starts the previous year, though I believe they were at RG)...while not a lot...he has played in quite a bit as well...and Rodgers does nothing but praise him. Barclay, along with competing at RT...has taken snaps now at C (though, messed up 2 snaps).

Im with you on Bulaga being a worry...but as much of a worry, he should at least be an upgrade to the amount of pressure Newhouse did allow.

Newhouse improved a little, but not enough to stay at LT...we will see what he, Barclay, and maybe Sherrod can do at RT (but not holding my breath on Sherrod).

And its early, but another rookie is making noise (Bakhtari was impressive recently and even beating Clay in one on one work).

Running game should help...and its not just the rookies. Reading that Starks has looked good...and Green has been cutting better than he ever did last year (helps being further removed from the ACL...this might be a full blown RBBC that does not just feature the 2 rookies)
I'm with ya, just saying the OL could get worse was my point.

I've heard good things about the vet RBs too, good for them...going down with a fight.

I'm more interested in what the OL changes mean in terms of scheme change. "Just be better" can't be the full scope of the flip. Rodgers is incredibly good against edge pressure anyway.

Aside from Jones and Perry, I'd like to see Mike Daniels do more this year.

Most Exciting: Cobb. He is electric every time he is on the field, and now that he is full time I can't wait to see what he can do.

Chicago Hooligan said:
I'm more interested in what the OL changes mean in terms of scheme change. "Just be better" can't be the full scope of the flip. Rodgers is incredibly good against edge pressure anyway.

Aside from Jones and Perry, I'd like to see Mike Daniels do more this year.
Has been talk about Daniels energy at least so far this camp.

Also praise so far for Jolly (at least for his attitude as a teammate). Hopefully that translate to having him in shape and looking like he did before he got all hopped up on the purple drank.

tdmills said:

I've heard good things about the vet RBs too, good for them...going down with a fight.
I don't think it can, unless we are just trying to nitpick a comment. I have re-watched every game and I can't tell you how many times Rodgers had instant pressure. If a less mobile QB had been behind the line the sack total would have been near 70 if not higher. So if he gets sacked 75 times this year, would that be worse? Of course, but he could have easily been sacked 70 times last year if not for a quick step and a quick release. If the oline does get worse, we probably won't have Rodgers all year and I would think the playoffs will be a pipe dream.

My primary concern, other than why Capers still has a job, is that Green Bay's defense will continue to fold during critical games and cancel out the potency of the offense. By nearly any measure, a true running game gives the offense far more than the loss of Jennings takes away. Unfortunately, I see really little reason to believe anything will change defensively, despite the addition of Jones. The Capers philosophy is still there, and I feel the players checked out of it 2 years ago.

My other concern, after going to the stock meeting last week, is why there's still a 40 foot picture of Jennings hanging just inside the East entrance to the stadium. That needs to be addressed immediately.

tdmills said:

I don't think it can, unless we are just trying to nitpick a comment. I have re-watched every game and I can't tell you how many times Rodgers had instant pressure. If a less mobile QB had been behind the line the sack total would have been near 70 if not higher. So if he gets sacked 75 times this year, would that be worse? Of course, but he could have easily been sacked 70 times last year if not for a quick step and a quick release. If the oline does get worse, we probably won't have Rodgers all year and I would think the playoffs will be a pipe dream.
They have a new starter at every position, that's a concern and i'm not nitpicking. Running every play in a stance on the right side and now on the left side. Adjustment will be needed and they may be worse at it. 21st in overall OL ranking is better than 28th. Most thought Saturday would step right in and replace Wells, that didn't happen. I think reshuffling the line and not adding much to it is a concern as well.

I hope the best for Sherrod, but I hate injuries. Worst part about the game

EDS is not a new starter.

He started last year 6 games.

The shuffle does not concern me on the inside.

Lang and Sitton will be fine with the switch IMO.

The question remains similar to other years...how will the tackles hold up.

EDS is not a new starter.

He started last year 6 games.

The shuffle does not concern me on the inside.

Lang and Sitton will be fine with the switch IMO.

The question remains similar to other years...how will the tackles hold up.
We can debate odds and ends, I don't view 6 starts as being a veteran starter. If by new, you mean never started a game, then you're right. Either way EDS is a concern as well, better than Saturday doesn't take much(especially in run blocking).

Users who are viewing this thread