What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shaun Alexander as good as a goner.. (1 Viewer)

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN

Footballguy
John Clayton (who lives in Seattle) was on Mac, Jurko and Harry's yakfest on ESPN1000 in Chicago and he said Shaun Alexander is as good as gone in Seattle.He indicated the Seahawks have several other players which are a higher priority than Alexander, who is now deemed a greedy player.?!?!?This just perplexes the bejesus out of me... I know they have a lot of free agents, but they get rid of Alexander and they don't have a 'load back'.Time will tell I guess....

This has been obvious since before the season. They've never viewed Alexander as one of the top backs in the league despite his statistics. I think they believe that many backs can succeed in their system

The Seahawks are fools. They pay an over-rated WR like Darrell Jackson $25 million but won't resign Alexander. I've rooted for the Seahawks for years and thought Holmgren would turn the team around but they are in shambles. They wouldn't even resign their franchise LT and keep giving him the franchise tag every year. Now Hasselbeck could be gone because they were too stupid to resign him earlier. Their personnel decision make zero sense to me.

Now Hasselbeck could be gone because they were too stupid to resign him earlier. Their personnel decision make zero sense to me.
I'd love to see Hasselbeck playing for a team that knows how to catch the ball.

So who's the guy they replace him with if they don't go with Morris?Henry? A-Train? Jordan? Draft someone?That's a pretty good offensive line to run behind...

Hilarious. Our wide receivers can't catch a football, so let's get rid of the star runningback. Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life Holmgren.

Of the potential free agents available I believe Henry is the best fit for the system and A-Train is the best pure runningback. I'd guess one of these two land in Seattle or a rookie.

From a espn chat:tony seattle: Will Shauna Alexander be in Seattle next season? Chris Mortensen: I kind of don't. I just know there has never been a lovefest there between Alexander and Holmgren. That goes against conventional wisdom.. you normally don't let a productive RB go. But I think he might not make it back.

This has been obvious since before the season. They've never viewed Alexander as one of the top backs in the league despite his statistics. I think they believe that many backs can succeed in their system
:no: They're mistaken.............sometimes you don't know what you have until you've lost it.

I agree that Alexander is better than Holmgren thinks, but if there was ever a year to take a chance on replacing a star RB this will be the year to do it. There are a number of strong options via free agency, trades (Henry) or the draft. It's a risk to let someone as productive as Alexander go, but Holmgren may be able to find a strong replacement given the amount of talent that will be available at the RB position this off-season.

I agree that Alexander is better than Holmgren thinks, but if there was ever a year to take a chance on replacing a star RB this will be the year to do it. There are a number of strong options via free agency, trades (Henry) or the draft. It's a risk to let someone as productive as Alexander go, but Holmgren may be able to find a strong replacement given the amount of talent that will be available at the RB position this off-season.
Well said. I think the Seahawks may have to let Alexander go, but it's not because he's not talented - obviously Shaun Alexander is a very good pro running back. But ultimately it comes down to the value of Alexander at what his new contract would be worth vs. the value of a cheaper back, and what buying a cheaper back would afford the Seahawks to do with the rest of the roster decisions. In other words, it's not like the Seahawks are saying "Alexander sucks, he's a crybaby, run him out of town." It's all about margin analysis. And as the Patriots have shown us over the years, you have to be very, very careful about what players you show long-term loyalty to when playing cap ball. In a perfect world, Seattle's roster would be better prepared for this off-seaosn. But given the current landscape, I think letting Alexander walk (if he wants megabucks) is the best option I can see, even as it's far from ideal. I am, of course, assuming the RB market and draft will offer up some decent options. I'm not expecting Maurice Morris to be any great revelation.

Holmgren has been looking for a reason to get rid of Alexander since day one.I agree they have to bring another RB in, but I would not rule out Morris being given a chance to carry the load.

Well said. I think the Seahawks may have to let Alexander go, but it's not because he's not talented - obviously Shaun Alexander is a very good pro running back. But ultimately it comes down to the value of Alexander at what his new contract would be worth vs. the value of a cheaper back, and what buying a cheaper back would afford the Seahawks to do with the rest of the roster decisions. In other words, it's not like the Seahawks are saying "Alexander sucks, he's a crybaby, run him out of town." It's all about margin analysis. And as the Patriots have shown us over the years, you have to be very, very careful about what players you show long-term loyalty to when playing cap ball. In a perfect world, Seattle's roster would be better prepared for this off-seaosn. But given the current landscape, I think letting Alexander walk (if he wants megabucks) is the best option I can see, even as it's far from ideal. I am, of course, assuming the RB market and draft will offer up some decent options. I'm not expecting Maurice Morris to be any great revelation.
So they give a long-term contract to Jackson because according to "margin analysis" he's better than any other WR they can get for the same money? Maybe he could be if he'd learn to catch the ball but I never understood the money they invested in him instead of locking up Walter Jones, Alexander and Hasselbeck.

Seattle has actually had a history of excellent production at RB from Warner to Warren to Watters to Alexander. I believe Alexander has proven himself to be extremly productive and don't necessarily agree with Shick! that you could plug any decent RB into that system and have the same production, however I think it's clear that there's always been a locker room/personality issue with Alexander and Holmgren. Whether that extends to Alexander and other players is an unknown.However, there is such an abundance of RB talent available via free agency, trade and the draft I hardly think it's unreasonable for SEA to prioritize their three big free agents as:1) Walter Jones2) Walter Jones3) Walter Jones (nice call Ruds ;) )4) Matt Hasselbeck5) Shaun Alexander

I don't care if it's Alexander, Henry or Ronnie Brown in the draft..Pittman convinced me in the last 3-4 weeks of the season that the Bucs need to get a workhorse back that they can build around.Would love Alexander, but I can't even fathom that salary he's going to want.

:no: They're mistaken.............sometimes you don't know what you have until you've lost it.
Or if you've lived in Cleveland for the past 20 years, you've never had an RB.Its just crazy. The Seahawks can throw away Ahman Green and Shaun Alexander and we can't get anything going over here.

So they give a long-term contract to Jackson because according to "margin analysis" he's better than any other WR they can get for the same money? Maybe he could be if he'd learn to catch the ball but I never understood the money they invested in him instead of locking up Walter Jones, Alexander and Hasselbeck.
:thumbup: i don't understand either. and last year's WR-heavy draft might have been an opportune time to be all about margin analysis.

I dont see how any self-respecting franchise in todays game can enter one offseason with three PRIME Free agents they havent yet resigned. Its mind boggling. Who structures the contracts over there in Seattle? Seattle :bag:

Driving home in Phoenix today and listening to sports talk radio. A caller asked about the Cardinals acquiring Alexander and the two bufoons taking calls laughed him off the air. They were 100% sure that Alexander would be back with Seattle.All I could think of was the PFW article that said that Seahawks insiders thought that it was 60-40 proposition in favor of Alexander departing.Five teams desperately need backs: Arizona, Miami, Oakland, Tampa Bay and Carolina. (Yes Carolina, Foster is a crapshoot with his injuries and Davis is no lock to return. Carolina is a big of a player for these RBs as anyone.) Jordan and Alexander are the two biggest names and Arizona and Oakland are the two hungriest teams. I think you'll see Alexander in one city and Jordan in the other.My guess Alexender is a Raider, Jordan a Cardinal.

I dont see how any self-respecting franchise in todays game can enter one offseason with three PRIME Free agents they havent yet resigned. Its mind boggling. Who structures the contracts over there in Seattle? Seattle :bag:
They have unloaded team President Bob Whitsitt. It looks like owner Paul Allen agrees.

Driving home in Phoenix today and listening to sports talk radio. A caller asked about the Cardinals acquiring Alexander and the two bufoons taking calls laughed him off the air. They were 100% sure that Alexander would be back with Seattle.All I could think of was the PFW article that said that Seahawks insiders thought that it was 60-40 proposition in favor of Alexander departing.Five teams desperately need backs: Arizona, Miami, Oakland, Tampa Bay and Carolina. (Yes Carolina, Foster is a crapshoot with his injuries and Davis is no lock to return. Carolina is a big of a player for these RBs as anyone.) Jordan and Alexander are the two biggest names and Arizona and Oakland are the two hungriest teams. I think you'll see Alexander in one city and Jordan in the other.My guess Alexender is a Raider, Jordan a Cardinal.
Carolina will not give him or anybody else the mega money he is going to want.

With Jones its been every year. They figure the tag is the only way to keep him on their team as his demands are more than they're willing to ever pay. In other words either Jones wants to play somewhere else and/or make a fortune. Offenesive linemen can and do make that fortune if they are allowed in the FA market. Until the CBA changes this will continue.As for Hasselbeck and Alexander its more of a matter that the team was on a certain timeline to succeed. Salaries were structured for that timeline. The team didnt reach its goal in time and now one or both of these veteran players are likely gone. Its time to bring in a young guy and try again. Running backs are easier and quicker to replace so Alexander is likely gone. They can get rid of Alexander without rebuilding. If they get rid of Hasselbeck though they are starting the process over again.

Holmgren and Whitsitt are fools. They pay an over-rated WR like Darrell Jackson $25 million but won't resign Alexander. I've rooted for the Seahawks for years and thought Holmgren would turn the team around but they are in shambles. They wouldn't even resign their franchise LT and keep giving him the franchise tag every year. Their personnel decision make zero sense to anyone with a functional brain.

Also Holmgren isn't drunk, just fat & stupid. And I don't really care about the fat part.

The Seahawks have backed themselves into a little bit of a problem regarding their free agents but it's not as bad as made out to be. I think they will work out something with Hasselback as I had read somewhere(sorry no link) that he, Hasselback, thought that they work something out. As for Walter Jones, I don't think that he(or Orlando Pace in St.Louis) ever has any intention of signing any type of longterm contract because they do not want to have to come to training camp and go through two-a-days anymore. He knows he will be franchised and make very good money every year and not have to go through the rigors of camp.The Shawn Alexander situation is a tough call. I can see Seattle bringing him back as he has been very productive for them but depending on how much it will cost them to resign him they may be willing to let him go and bring in a free agent(Jordan, Thomas), trade( Henry, Bennett, Smith or Moore) or draft someone.

I dont see how any self-respecting franchise in todays game can enter one offseason with three PRIME Free agents they havent yet resigned. Its mind boggling. Who structures the contracts over there in Seattle? Seattle  :bag:
With Jones its been every year. They figure the tag is the only way to keep him on their team as his demands are more than they're willing to ever pay. In other words either Jones wants to play somewhere else and/or make a fortune. Offenesive linemen can and do make that fortune if they are allowed in the FA market. Until the CBA changes this will continue.As for Hasselbeck and Alexander its more of a matter that the team was on a certain timeline to succeed. Salaries were structured for that timeline. The team didnt reach its goal in time and now one or both of these veteran players are likely gone. Its time to bring in a young guy and try again. Running backs are easier and quicker to replace so Alexander is likely gone. They can get rid of Alexander without rebuilding. If they get rid of Hasselbeck though they are starting the process over again.
My point is, each of the three FA's in Seattle should be looked at as financial assets, whether they choose to resign or not. Each is worth the Franchise Tag and could be used as trade bait for draft picks, players etc. However, by entering the offseason with more than one "tag-worthy" player (Seinfeld, anyone?), they are practically ensuring that at least one of their players will leave without compensation. I know that many other teams make it a point not to enter the offseason with more than one stud player elligible for FA in a agiven year. Look at the Colts for example. Before the begining of this season, Edge, Harrison AND Manning were all scheduled to become FA's this year. The Colts FO knew that if all three would finish the season unsigned, they would lose at least one (and possibly two) for nothing. So they resigned Manning early in the offseason and Harrison later in the year. Now they can concentrate on resigning Edge - negotiate with him in good faith, tag him if the two sides dont come to a feasible agreement, and trade him to the highest bidder. Thats good business. Point is, what the Seahwaks management is doing is ludicrous. Its as if Darrell Jackson's hands are running the organization.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so we can all agree that paying DJax his salary is a mistake. I personally think paying Alexander the big money would be a mistake also. Seattle's line isn't far behind Denver or Kansas City, which have both shown to be able to plug in a decent RB and experience a fair amount of success (except Griffin, he just sucks). Seattle should be able to do the same.Holmgren could just feed off of Green Bay again, and attempt to land Davenport. (I realize he wasn't there when Najeh was drafted) Otherwise, if Ronnie Brown falls to their pick, he'd be a great fit.As for Alexander, a few teams will go after him I'm sure, and this helps give Miami options.

The Seahawks have backed themselves into a little bit of a problem regarding their free agents but it's not as bad as made out to be. I think they will work out something with Hasselback as I had read somewhere(sorry no link) that he, Hasselback, thought that they work something out. As for Walter Jones, I don't think that he(or Orlando Pace in St.Louis) ever has any intention of signing any type of longterm contract because they do not want to have to come to training camp and go through two-a-days anymore. He knows he will be franchised and make very good money every year and not have to go through the rigors of camp.The Shawn Alexander situation is a tough call. I can see Seattle bringing him back as he has been very productive for them but depending on how much it will cost them to resign him they may be willing to let him go and bring in a free agent(Jordan, Thomas), trade( Henry, Bennett, Smith or Moore) or draft someone.
Two things work in favor of both Jones and Pace signing long-term deals.1) While being tagged is nice, they aren't going to get that massive balloon payment in guaranteed money without a long term deal and upfront bonus that can be amortized over the life of the deal.2) Their respective ages, time becomes an issue for every player and the notion of job security becomes paramount. When you're 22 you think you're invincible, as you approach 30, that changes.

Hopefully he is coming home to cincy :excited: Only a couple more million than Rudi will be asking for and a zillion times better.

Hopefully he is coming home to cincy :excited: Only a couple more million than Rudi will be asking for and a zillion times better.
Don't get your hopes up. Why would Cincy take a more expensive RB when they want to see if their 1st round pick can handle the load?Besides, it isn't Alexander that's much better than Rudi, it's the line. Cincy would be much better served addressing the line and the defense.

I'll say this... If Alexander does go, Holmgren won't be far behind because there's no way Seattle makes it back to the playoffs. :bag:

Say Hello to your 2005 Starting Tailback for the Seattle SeaHawks........KERRY CARTERGood Kid from the Toronto Area - had an opportunity to see him play on more than one occasion. Vision, speed and burst - he'll make an impact in 2005 for Seattle Guaranteed.He reminds me a bit of Fred Taylor the way he moves but with more push.

Say Hello to your 2005 Starting Tailback for the Seattle SeaHawks........KERRY CARTERGood Kid from the Toronto Area - had an opportunity to see him play on more than one occasion. Vision, speed and burst - he'll make an impact in 2005 for Seattle Guaranteed.He reminds me a bit of Fred Taylor the way he moves but with more push.
A guy with an injury history who runs a 4.6+ is going to be the guy for the Seahawks? This I've gotta see.Colin

Carter may have some skills, but I highly doubt that Holmgren will just hand over the reins to him or Morris.After having a highly successful RB like Alexander, one has to think that Holmgren will look to add a proven FA or highly drafted rookie. His job depends on it.

From what I have seen from him the guy looks like someone who can run with an opportunity if givenWhile he played in Toronto I had thought he ran abit sluggish but figured his speed would increase while he was at StanfordHe looks like a project but given an opportunity I think he could score 10-12 TD's next year with 1250 on the ground. Thats probably a top 15 RB - not bad if you get him in your last round of your draft

I don't think Tampa Bay needs to spend big money on a running back........Pittman does a good job there, IMO, when given the touches.

I don't think Tampa Bay needs to spend big money on a running back........Pittman does a good job there, IMO, when given the touches.
Gruden has indicated that the running game needs some help. While he put up decent numbers, Pittman had fumble problems and was less than successful in grinding out the tough yards when needed (old Alstott role).I would agree that Tampa won't pay big money for a RB, but a Henry trade or a highly drafted rookie may happen.

Ok, so we can all agree that paying DJax his salary is a mistake.
I don't think so. The two dropped balls Jackson had on national TV during the playoff game with St. Louis were not indicative of his season compared to last year. He was much improved this year. Also, I think some of the Koren Robinson issues are being unfairly pushed onto Jackson as well. Robinson is the one with serious issues, Jackson is just fine.I don't have a clue how many drops Jackson had this year, but I saw him make several tougher catches this year that he didn't make last year. However, I'm convinced that Robinson may have the worst hands of any starting WR I've ever seen in Seattle. As a homer, I hope Robinson is shipped out of town this offseason.

I don't have a clue how many drops Jackson had this year, but I saw him make several tougher catches this year that he didn't make last year. However, I'm convinced that Robinson may have the worst hands of any starting WR I've ever seen in Seattle. As a homer, I hope Robinson is shipped out of town this offseason.
Jackson had 11 drops, tied for 2nd worst in the league with Driver behind CJ (14). Robinson had 10, which brought him in at an impressive tie for 4th.COlin

I don't have a clue how many drops Jackson had this year, but I saw him make several tougher catches this year that he didn't make last year. However, I'm convinced that Robinson may have the worst hands of any starting WR I've ever seen in Seattle. As a homer, I hope Robinson is shipped out of town this offseason.
Jackson had 11 drops, tied for 2nd worst in the league with Driver behind CJ (14). Robinson had 10, which brought him in at an impressive tie for 4th.COlin
So, let's see... Chad Johnson had the most drops, Driver and Jackson tied for 2nd.It doesn't look like drops is a category I'd pay much attention to then.

So, let's see... Chad Johnson had the most drops, Driver and Jackson tied for 2nd.It doesn't look like drops is a category I'd pay much attention to then.
I don't worry too much about drops since it likely means that the WRs are being targeted a lot. A few drops here and there are expected on such a large sample. This certainly applies in Chad and D-Jax's cases. When the targets drop, then I start worrying.But that is another matter. This is an Alexander thread, no?

Wow. I'm surprised David Terrell wasn't ranked higher. Where is he on the list? It seemed to me that he dropped every other pass thrown to him this year.

Users who are viewing this thread