What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shaun Alexander named MVP (1 Viewer)

jfontestad

Footballguy
Shaun Alexander was named the NFLs AP MVP of 2005. At the height of his career and a contract year Alexander wins the MVP award?Is it well deserved? or is it product of playing the WEAK NFC teams?

His case for MVP is more straightforward than anyone else's: he won the rushing title - he set the single-season TD mark - AND his team got the #1 seed in the conference. Every other candidate you have to quantify value in based on one's opinion of what value to his team is.

Link to article

Alexander got 19 votes, Manning 13, Brady 10, Barber 6 and Palmer 2.

I think Alexander should have won by more, and I don't really agree with the order of the votes, but the right guy did win I believe.

I really haven't seen much of Shaun except on ESPN and what not, as I'm more into college football, but everything I heard and saw was nothing excet great. Between Shaun and Peyton, it was a great battle, you think Peyton would've won if the Colts would've stayed undefeated?

I really haven't seen much of Shaun except on ESPN and what not, as I'm more into college football, but everything I heard and saw was nothing excet great. Between Shaun and Peyton, it was a great battle, you think Peyton would've won if the Colts would've stayed undefeated?
I think Peyton would have won if the Colts went 16-0 - because the hype on the Colts would have been overwhelming (more than we even saw at 13-0). I think that was the only way he was going to win, also.

You can't really complain that SA got it - he was awesome.Having said that, I think Brady should have won. He held that team together for 2 months while they were treading water.

I would have voted in the order: Brady-Barber-Alexander-PalmerI also probably would have voted for Edge over Manning, although I'm admittedly biased against Manning after the last 2 playoff blowouts vs. the Broncos. :)

I know he was not drafted yet but I cannot fathom how Reggie Bush was not chosen as the NFL mvp this year! The guy is in the HOF for heaven's sake.

SA had an awesome year, but I think Tiki Barber means more to the Giants...
:goodposting:
I'm sure he'll get his team's MVP award then. But as for the NFL MVP, Alexander did far more than Barber and clearly deserved the honor. If SA had merely mortal TD numbers then maybe a case could be argued. But he set the TD record and rushing title while sitting out the second half for at least 3 games!! Tiki deserved some votes, more than Manning (who I'd give to Edge over Peyton this year anyway), but he's nowhere near the league-wide stud Alexander. Well, he's near but a very clear second place.

Eh, looking at numbers alone yes... but the award is MOST VALUABLE.Last I looked Seattle sent 2 linemen (who coincidentally block for SA) to the Pro Bowl. Had a ProBowl QB for defenses to worry about from a passing game. While Tiki is going with just Shockey.To me it KINDA has to be one or the other... either SA is really that good, and his linemen were benefactors, or SA was the benefactor thereof.

I'm sure he'll get his team's MVP award then. But as for the NFL MVP, Alexander did far more than Barber and clearly deserved the honor. If SA had merely mortal TD numbers then maybe a case could be argued. But he set the TD record and rushing title while sitting out the second half for at least 3 games!! Tiki deserved some votes, more than Manning (who I'd give to Edge over Peyton this year anyway), but he's nowhere near the league-wide stud Alexander. Well, he's near but a very clear second place.
You can't really say he got the TD record while sitting out the second half of those games, since he played most of the fourth quarter in the Colts game, then when he finally left, he came back in for a carry on the 1 and scored.

Eh, looking at numbers alone yes... but the award is MOST VALUABLE.

Last I looked Seattle sent 2 linemen (who coincidentally block for SA) to the Pro Bowl. Had a ProBowl QB for defenses to worry about from a passing game. While Tiki is going with just Shockey.

To me it KINDA has to be one or the other... either SA is really that good, and his linemen were benefactors, or SA was the benefactor thereof.
Why can't it be both and that is what made it special.

Agreed
I look at it this way.. Where would have Seattle been without Alexander?

Maybe, Playoff bound, only because the West so weak, but I don't think they would have been the #1 seed.

Seahawks lost both Starting WR's for awhile there and really relied on Alexander to carry them through.

Tiki had a Great year, but Giants stayed relativly healthy and I think even without Tiki they would have finished the season about where they did.

just my :2cents:

But he set the TD record and rushing title while sitting out the second half for at least 3 games!!
Actually doesn't matter as Seattle and SA was already up 28-0 at halftime in those games (e.g. Phi 42-0, SF 41-3). While Tiki and the Giants were stuck in a dogfight at 13-7 at the half.Interestingly, when Seattle and New York faced each other

Alexander - 110yd/3.5carry/4recvng/1TD

Barber - 151 yds/5.8carry/27recvng/0TDs

I think Alexander is deserving of an MVP, but it wasn't a landslide by no means. Seattle was a machine with a pro bowl line, the Giants were a good team with a good line.

More importantly, the RUSHING TITLE is moot. Isn't TOTAL YARDS more important??!!! Tiki at 2,400 total yards, while Shaun was at 1,950.

That's a hug 500 yard difference. The TDs is big, but keep in mind Brandon Jacobs sniped a slew of TDs from Barber... and not because Barber is week on the goaline (in fact, he had a better avg/carry than Alexander ;-)

Be curious how many TDs Barber would score if he were on Seattle this year...

You can't really say he got the TD record while sitting out the second half of those games, since he played most of the fourth quarter in the Colts game, then when he finally left, he came back in for a carry on the 1 and scored.
He sat out the whole second half of the game in Philly, and set out the whole 4th quarter against San Francisco at home. He definitely would have broke the record earlier had he not been pulled from those games.

After Tikis finish down the stretch, where he loaded the Giants on his back and carried them to the playoffs had him finish, ... second in my opinion. I just don't see a way you don't give it to Alexander. IMHO, it should have went Alexander, Barber, Brady, Palmer.

I disagree - the Seahawks lost their entire starting WR corps this year, but the offense didn't miss a beat thanks to a record-breaking performance by Alexander. The Giants, OTOH, have gotten this kind of performance from Tiki for about four years, but the difference this year was in Manning, Burress, and Shockey. I think we'd all agree that the Giants are where they are this year b/c of improvements to their offense more than their defense. The Seahawks, OTOH, are where they are b/c of an improved defense, and an offense that was able to overcome a lot of injuries thanks to the work of SA.

I'm a HUGE fan of LT. But even I will agree that Alexander should be MVP. About week 10 or so, it was neck and neck. But LT got dinged up, and his production slipped. Shaun's continued to climb, and his team is in the playoffs. 'Nuff said...

Now if LJ had played the entire season, this would be a VERY interesting discussion...

#### that ####. Seahawk's players get no ####### love. What the #### were the voters thinking? #### them and their stupid ####### east coast bias... Oh, um, wait, nevermind. I'm an idiot.

Steve Smith was robbed and jobbed. He was clearly the elite player at his position and the most terrifying player once the ball was in his mitts.

#### that ####. Seahawk's players get no ####### love. What the #### were the voters thinking? #### them and their stupid ####### east coast bias... Oh, um, wait, nevermind. I'm an idiot.
Cuz, Shut Up!!! Tiki deserved it!

Manning and Brady shouldn't have gotten anywhere close to the top of the list. It should have been:1. Alexander2. Barber3. Steve SmithThen if you want to throw the media golden boys a few bones with some throwaway votes, that's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread