What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shonn Greene, any value? (1 Viewer)

giveup

Footballguy
Since I've pretty much blown my FAAB load, I'm in think 2 weeks ahead mode.

So Greene is scheduled to be back, CJ2K continues to stink and after the BYE the TEN schedule looks to ease up quite a bit. Any Chance the Greene is actually a better fit for this line and outshines CJ2K? How bad was his knee injury anyway?

I know Greene isn't a special talent, but there were a couple years with the Jets when he got hot in the playoffs and help win things for me. I'm sure he will get the goal line work, but It seems to me Ten might be better served giving Greene/CJ a 60/40 or 70/30 split to let Greene try and hammer the D and let CJ have 5-10 homerun chances a game. Anything to see here? Locker actually looked pretty good before the injury. The D is playing well and Greene just seems like a better fit for a ball control offense. Maybe its just wishful thinking...

i had drafted green in a 14 team league late hoping for a leroy hoard'ish vulture, but of course dropped him after he got hurt. it's obvious that either CJ has decided to cash it in after getting his fat contract, or the *new and improved* o line just hasn't figured it out. i agree the defense is solid and keeping them in games, and CJ isn't getting it done. maybe worth a "why not?" stash hoping for something to change. i'd rather take a chance on guys like K Robinson in NO or slient G in CLE at this point though.

Since I've pretty much blown my FAAB load, I'm in think 2 weeks ahead mode.

So Greene is scheduled to be back, CJ2K continues to stink and after the BYE the TEN schedule looks to ease up quite a bit. Any Chance the Greene is actually a better fit for this line and outshines CJ2K? How bad was his knee injury anyway?

I know Greene isn't a special talent, but there were a couple years with the Jets when he got hot in the playoffs and help win things for me. I'm sure he will get the goal line work, but It seems to me Ten might be better served giving Greene/CJ a 60/40 or 70/30 split to let Greene try and hammer the D and let CJ have 5-10 homerun chances a game. Anything to see here? Locker actually looked pretty good before the injury. The D is playing well and Greene just seems like a better fit for a ball control offense. Maybe its just wishful thinking...
I was with you right up until the bolded. That's just crazy talk.

Munchak saying he will get 15 carries per game:

Coach Mike Munchak said Shonn Greene should be in the "15 carries per game range moving forward if all goes well."
That's quite the increase for Greene, who has rushed just five times for 20 yards in two games played this season. Greene returned to the lineup in Week 7 after undergoing a knee scope. Following the Week 8 bye, he's apparently back to 100 percent. Greene and Chris Johnson have a juicy matchup on deck against the Rams in Week 9, and it sounds as if Greene could lead the backfield in carries. Johnson has failed to eclipse 40 yards rushing in each of his past four outings and is averaging just 2.39 YPC on his last 46 carries. He's seen increased work in the passing game, so it's possible Greene will handle early-down duties while CJ?K takes the passing-down and two-minute reps. It'll be hard to trust either player as more than a flex option until we see how it shakes out Sunday.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5118/shonn-greene

I just SNAGGED Greene! At worst, he will steal the redzone carries, and Jake Locker is a legit NFL QB that can move the ball for his offense. I can think of worse fliers to take.

BTW, I just dropped Kenny Stills for Shonn Greene.

Fifteen carries and GL work sure does sound enticing, but it's Shonn Greene...I avoided him during his last two years on the NYJ and have a hard time picking him up now. FWIW I'd have to drop Marvin Jones, and I think I'm going to decide against it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I did it. Could turn into nothing and I don't really like Jones as more than a WR4 anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terrible news (if true) for us CJ?K owners who thought he was going to blow up with his easier schedule in the second half.

Terrible news (if true) for us CJ?K owners who thought he was going to blow up with his easier schedule in the second half.
It is not that bad because in that same quote Munchak said he wants CJ to get 20 carries. Add in a couple catches and I think that is plenty of touches to do some damage.

It is not that bad because in that same quote Munchak said he wants CJ to get 20 carries. Add in a couple catches and I think that is plenty of touches to do some damage.
I've never seen a coach underestimate the number of carries a player will get. CJ doesn't need a huge number of carries to be effective and in fact it probably hurts him. I'd rather see him get 5 catches than 20 carries.

Greene with 10+ touches and goal line carries -- sounds like a flex, at worst.

I was aiming at stashing Jon Stewart, but I think I'll grab Greene instead.

While Greene obviously doesn't have nearly as much talent as CJ, I expect Greene will be getting the ball in short yardage and when they're inside the 5. He's got a pretty good nose for the end zone.

It's been apparent for years that CJ's 2K season was an absolute fluke and he is afraid of contact. He is absolutely and by far the worst 2k yard RB ever.

If he has a huge hole he is as dangerous as anyone ...but he is not going to get any yards on his own, break tackles or move the pile. 11 of the last 24 games he has averaged under 3yds and often below 2yds per per carry.

I am not a big Shonne Greene fan but he has a great opportunity with probably the best remaining RB schedule and a ##### RB to share carries with him. I think Greene is going to expose CJ even more when people see that it is CJ and not the Tenn line that is the problem.

Picked him up, and if DeAngelo can't answer the bell this weekend Greene will be in the line-up. To be honest I don't see much of a drop-off (if any) between these two at this point.

It isn't as though the outstanding play of CJ is going to keep him on the bench... he'll get his carries, I have no doubt.

Fascinated by those downplaying Greene's potential upside. Do you play in 10-team public leagues without a FLEX (e.g., ESPN)?

For those of us in 12-team leagues, with high-profile guys like Lynch, McCoy, Murray who have yet to pass their Bye, a trinket like Munchack's yesterday is pure gold. If Greene averages 8-9 points non-PPR (50-60 yds, 0.5 TD) he becomes a nice gift.

Thinking about adding.

Which would you drop him for, Roy Helu or Mike James?

Tenn averages about 27 rushes/game, which is really more like 24 when you count Locker runs (I don't think that will change when Greene returns).

CJ is getting about 16 carries/game and 2 catches (18.6 total touches/game).

The Titans have had 43 rushing attempts by backs other than CJ on the season, about 6/game.

If you think Greene will average around 10 touches/game then you CJ & Locker's attempts will drop and/or the Tennessee will improve enough to allow for four more rushes/game. I am not sure any of those things will happen.

He should be good to own for the two games v Jax but I don't see much value for his other games.

As for Chris Johnson not being a short yardage back, he's converted 1st down on 8 of the 11 carries with 2 or less yards to go.

For comparison, Peterson is 9 of 12. If you take out carries inside the 5, both are 8 of 11.

Greene's value is that he will get the GL carries and likely do better than Battle's 1 of 7 inside the 5.

Tenn averages about 27 rushes/game, which is really more like 24 when you count Locker runs (I don't think that will change when Greene returns).

The Titans have had 43 rushing attempts by backs other than CJ on the season, about 6/game.

If you think Greene will average around 10 touches/game then you CJ & Locker's attempts will drop and/or the Tennessee will improve enough to allow for four more rushes/game. I am not sure any of those things will happen.

He should be good to own for the two games v Jax but I don't see much value for his other games.
I think you could easily see a small uptick in carries as Ten has another above average runner in Greene and they'll be more likely to run on those 3rd and short downs with a guy that is good in short yardage situations.

The way RB is right now, anyone getting 10 touches a game and goal line carries is nearing a must start in 12 team leagues that start 2 or 3 RBs. If this is Greene's future, he's absolutely worth an add as a 3rd or 4th RB, and weekly flex option.

I'm not looking for a RB1 here as he doesn't have those skills, but i'm looking for a guy that's a high floor, 8.5+ average point scorer.

I think you could easily see a small uptick in carries as Ten has another above average runner in Greene and they'll be more likely to run on those 3rd and short downs with a guy that is good in short yardage situations.

The way RB is right now, anyone getting 10 touches a game and goal line carries is nearing a must start in 12 team leagues that start 2 or 3 RBs. If this is Greene's future, he's absolutely worth an add as a 3rd or 4th RB, and weekly flex option.

I'm not looking for a RB1 here as he doesn't have those skills, but i'm looking for a guy that's a high floor, 8.5+ average point scorer.
There's no way his floor is 8.5+ points on average. He's worth an add, but people are taking those comments from the coach way out of context. There are going to be games where he doesn't get you 2 points IMO.

There's no way his floor is 8.5+ points on average. He's worth an add, but people are taking those comments from the coach way out of context. There are going to be games where he doesn't get you 2 points IMO.
I like him for the two Jax games, other than that he's not worth a roster spot IMO.

It's a good o line with a better qb, he should see goal line touches

I drooped helu for him

mphtrilogy said:

I drooped helu for him
Is the oline really good? Frankly I thought that they would be performing much better. Either their scheme is off (coaching problem) or CJ is a below average RB.

mphtrilogy said:

I drooped helu for him
Is the oline really good? Frankly I thought that they would be performing much better. Either their scheme is off (coaching problem) or CJ is a below average RB.
I'm not a huge fan of Mike Munchak as a HC, but he can coach offensive line play. Not sure what the issue is, as I haven't seen a ton of the Titans this year, but I'd guess that Chris Johnson has to be a part of it. He's not the same RB that he was prior to getting the huge extension.

mphtrilogy said:

I drooped helu for him
I'm not a huge fan of Mike Munchak as a HC, but he can coach offensive line play. Not sure what the issue is, as I haven't seen a ton of the Titans this year, but I'd guess that Chris Johnson has to be a part of it. He's not the same RB that he was prior to getting the huge extension.
You would think so, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all- according to football outsiders, their O-line ranked #31 last year and is #28 this year in run blocking.

mphtrilogy said:

I drooped helu for him
You would think so, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all- according to football outsiders, their O-line ranked #31 last year and is #28 this year in run blocking.
Yeah, I have no clue what's going on there. Coaching? Lack of talent? New guys need time to gel? Maybe all three.

I do know that I wouldn't expect a ton from Greene -- he's more of a "get what's blocked" type of RB than a guy who can create yardage on his own.

Chris Johnson has had back 2 back games breaking off Receptions for long TD's.... in those home runs he looks insane

I think his game took a hit when Vince Young got the boot..... The Titans are not creative at all getting him the ball....

Shone Greene is going to a be a nice TD vulture

CJ kinda always earned his bones between the 20's didn't he? Long TD runs and catches on screens. He's never really been a goal line guy.

I don't see how Greene is gonna be any more of a TD vulture than Jamie Harper and Javon Ringer have been over the last few seasons.

I seriously doubt he suddenly becomes Lendale White from 2008.

CJ kinda always earned his bones between the 20's didn't he? Long TD runs and catches on screens. He's never really been a goal line guy.

I don't see how Greene is gonna be any more of a TD vulture than Jamie Harper and Javon Ringer have been over the last few seasons.

I seriously doubt he suddenly becomes Lendale White from 2008.
I don't think they are looking at Greene as a goal line back.

I think Ten has had it with CJ and from what I heard the plan was for them to split carries from the beginning of the season had Greene not been injured.

Let's face it CJ is not a good RB ... the stars aligned for one flukey season. He's like the Rob Deer or Dave Kingman of RBs ... if he ain't hittin a homerun he ain't hittin the ball.

Gotta feelin CJ owners are going to be real disappointed.

High floor, (and that comma is important) 8.5 average point scorer.

I'm looking for someone that has a high floor for a flex (like 4-5 points) that averages about 8.5 a game. In no way should that be interpreted as me thinking he's a 8.5 floor guy -- I think he has the potential to average that as a 45 - 55 yard .5 td / game guy. I think that's realistic for a guy that'll get goal line touches, averages 4.2 / carry for his career and plays behind a guy that lacks any sort of physicality.

High floor, (and that comma is important) 8.5 average point scorer.

I'm looking for someone that has a high floor for a flex (like 4-5 points) that averages about 8.5 a game. In no way should that be interpreted as me thinking he's a 8.5 floor guy -- I think he has the potential to average that as a 45 - 55 yard .5 td / game guy. I think that's realistic for a guy that'll get goal line touches, averages 4.2 / carry for his career and plays behind a guy that lacks any sort of physicality.
Okay, let me rephrase- he doesn't have a high floor, and he won't average 8.5 pts. per game. Just don't see it, barring injury of course.

CJ in 19 of his last 40 games is averaging 2.05 yards per carry (274 carries for 563 yards)

4 of 7 2013 - 2.24 yds per carry
25 70 2.80
15 21 1.40
10 17 1.70
12 33 2.75

7 of 16 2012 - 1.99 yds per carry
11 04 0.36
08 17 2.13
14 24 1.71
15 24 1.60
19 44 2.32
11 28 2.55
21 56 2.67

7 of 16 2011 - 2.00 yards per carry
09 24 2.67
24 53 2.21
13 21 1.62
10 18 1.80
14 34 2.43
12 13 1.08
11 23 2.09

Last Game of 2010
20 39 1.95

I drooped helu for him
PFF had their run blocking #16 (9.5 rating) in 2012 and #12 (-4.7 rating) this year.

What did he average in the other 21 games?
Does it really matter?

I'm pretty sure that you can not find another player in the NFL that has a 2.05 avg over their 19 worst games of their careers never mind in 2 1/2 seasons.

And to top it off he has only 10 RTD in almost 700 carries ... Very Possibly the worst starting RB in the NFL

Not surw why you are being adversarial about it. You provided the cherry picked data. Cj is a boom bust player so the data for the other 21 games seems relevant.

Why did you choose just those 19 games? Because it supports the claim you want to make?

CJ has a career 4.6ypc and never a season below 4.0ypc so, yes those other 21 games might provide a more complete picture.

Monk obviously has same hatred for CJ because those stats he gave were just as bad as the guys who downplay a RB by saying take away their 80yrd TD run. That is the epitome of making stats say what ever you want them to say.

Consistency is important in H2H. Those of you who love CJ2K obviously have lots of time on your hands, since you're long past worrying about winning your league.

Users who are viewing this thread