What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Bush be allowed to wear #5 (1 Viewer)

Should Bush be allowed to wear #5?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't Care

• Total voters
If he doesn't get to wear #5, he can say goodbye to his almost certain election to the Hall of Fame.

It's that important.

There have been thousands of players before him, and surely many of them wanted to keep a previous jersey number that they had had before. None gave it a second thought and acquiesced to the notion of the rules.

I think that it is brazen for him to believe his desires warrant a rule change. Especially considering he has not even touched a NFL ball yet.

Would anyone here have a problem if they changed the rule to allow RBs to wear single-digit numbers?
I'd have a big problem with that. :boxing: Why do it? What does it help?
What does it help to not allow him to wear #5? It's totally arbitrary.There isn't a poll option for my opinion, which is "Reggie Bush shouldn't be granted an exception, but the rule is stupid."

Would anyone here have a problem if they changed the rule to allow RBs to wear single-digit numbers?
I'd have a big problem with that. :boxing: Why do it? What does it help?
What does it help to not allow him to wear #5? It's totally arbitrary.There isn't a poll option for my opinion, which is "Reggie Bush shouldn't be granted an exception, but the rule is stupid."
:goodposting: Exactly what I was getting at.

A lot of people have the "this is the way things are, who are you to change them" mentality. In this day and age, are these restrictions really necessary? Do they help the game at all? Does expanding and allowing RBs to have single digits really hurt the game in any way? You could argue it helps in the short run as top players may change numbers and sell more jerseys.

Bush shouldn't get an exception because he shouldn't need one.

Numbers are absolutely essential for accountability on both sides of the ball and for the zebras to do their jobs quickly and with a minimum of indecision associated with who committed an infraction.

Whether the specific range of numbers is necessary or not is certainly up for grabs, but the Rules Committee can certainly assess the need or lack of a need if there is an overriding desire to have things changed.

For Bush to petition for any # is brazen and arrogant. At this point he does not even know what team he will be on, or if a pre-existing player already has his precious #5.

Numbers are absolutely essential for accountability on both sides of the ball and for the zebras to do their jobs quickly and with a minimum of indecision associated with who committed an infraction.

Whether the specific range of numbers is necessary or not is certainly up for grabs, but the Rules Committee can certainly assess the need or lack of a need if there is an overriding desire to have things changed.

For Bush to petition for any # is brazen and arrogant. At this point he does not even know what team he will be on, or if a pre-existing player already has his precious #5.
This wasn't Bush's idea, the Scientist brought it up. I highly doubt the idea has even crossed his mind to petition for the number.

For Bush to petition for any # is brazen and arrogant.  At this point he does not even know what team he will be on, or if a pre-existing player already has his precious #5.
This wasn't Bush's idea, the Scientist brought it up. I highly doubt the idea has even crossed his mind to petition for the number.
Bush will appeal to wear No. 5 in NFLStacey Pressman

4/11/2006

How much trouble is a number worth?

Reggie Bush, projected as the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft, thinks it's at least worth petitioning the league.

"I want to see if I can keep No. 5," Bush told ESPN The Magazine on the set of a Subway commercial he was shooting in Los Angeles.

The former USC running back and 2005 Heisman Trophy winner has been wearing that jersey number since high school. NFL rules, however, don't allow for running backs to take that number -- 33 years ago the league adopted a numbering system to make it easier for officials to differentiate players by position.

Under the rule, quarterbacks, punters and placekickers wear numbers 1 through 19. Running backs and defensive backs are assigned 20 through 49, while wide receivers and tight ends are given numbers 80 through 89.

Two years ago, due to the increasing amount of retired numbers and more wide receivers and tight ends coming into the league, the NFL allowed those position players to wear either 10-19 or 80-89. A number of wide receivers have been wearing lower-numbered jerseys since, among them Larry Fitzgerald of Arizona (11), Plaxico Burress of New York and Braylon Edwards of Cleveland (17), Randy Moss of Oakland (18) and Troy Williamson of Minnesota (19).

Bush wants to push it one step further to stick with No. 5.

"I think someone else was able to get their number changed, but even if they turn me down I think it's worth a try," Bush said.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to comment on Bush's plan to petition the league, though history is working against him. In 2004, running back Edgerrin James talked to the NFL about letting him wearing No. 5, which he had worn in Pop Warner, high school and at the University of Miami, but he was reportedly rebuffed.

Jersey numbers have turned into a big business. Players routinely have paid thousands of dollars for a jersey of their liking.

There has even been a lawsuit -- two years ago, Ifeanyi Ohalete agreed to sell No. 26 to his new Washington Redskins teammate Clinton Portis for $40,000. But Ohalete, who was released from the team before the season, sued after Portis didn't pay him half of the fee. The two eventually reached a settlement worth $18,000.

Bush has extra incentive to try to land No. 5. His Subway commercial, which debuted on Monday, encourages fans to "get inside No. 5" and features that number throughout the spot.

If Bush could somehow convince the league to allow him to wear No. 5, he's in luck if he gets drafted by the Houston Texans. No player on the team currently wears that number.

Said Bush: "If I have to pick a new number, I have no idea what it would be."

http://sports.espn.go.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

I fyou actually read the article and hear Bush's words I do not think that there is any way you can say he is being brazen or arrogant. The guy has had the number his entire life and is mearly asking the NFL to let that continue. My lord fellas, if you ask, the worst that can happen in they say no but at least you have a chance. If you never ask, you have no chance. Obviously the number is important to him for whatever reason. I don't really see why this is a big deal to people.FYI, I did not vote because my vote would be that I think he should be allowed to wear it, but I really don't care. I feel the rule on numbers is a very silly one that is a bit outdated.

This rule is a real pet peeve of mine. There is no reason for this rule and it just makes the NFL seem petty. I really noticed this rule when Roy Green started playing WR after starting his career at CB. They made him change from a 20s number to an 80s number. Idiocy!!!

It didn't hurt Bob Hayes to wear 22. John Hadl wore 22. For you Packer lovers - what was Ray Nitschke's number. There will never be a legacy of linebackers wearing 66 for Green Bay because of this idiot rule.

Yes this a real minor glitch but it is really really really stupid. Back to Roy Green, I really thought it was cool to see him change positions successfully and seeing his non80 number at WR really emphasized his uniqueness.

I agree that eligible and non-eligible receivers require some demarcation but why the unecessary and artificial restrictions.

BTW, I could(n't) care less about Reggie Bush. He will be a bust anyway. OK, not a bust but he will never be a Warrick Dunn and certainly not a Tiki Barber.

This rule is a real pet peeve of mine. There is no reason for this rule and it just makes the NFL seem petty. I really noticed this rule when Roy Green started playing WR after starting his career at CB. They made him change from a 20s number to an 80s number. Idiocy!!!

It didn't hurt Bob Hayes to wear 22. John Hadl wore 22. For you Packer lovers - what was Ray Nitschke's number. There will never be a legacy of linebackers wearing 66 for Green Bay because of this idiot rule.

Yes this a real minor glitch but it is really really really stupid. Back to Roy Green, I really thought it was cool to see him change positions successfully and seeing his non80 number at WR really emphasized his uniqueness.

I agree that eligible and non-eligible receivers require some demarcation but why the unecessary and artificial restrictions.

BTW, I could(n't) care less about Reggie Bush. He will be a bust anyway. OK, not a bust but he will never be a Warrick Dunn and certainly not a Tiki Barber.
:lmao:

Bush will appeal to wear No. 5 in NFLStacey Pressman

4/11/2006

How much trouble is a number worth?

Reggie Bush, projected as the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft, thinks it's at least worth petitioning the league.

"I want to see if I can keep No. 5," Bush told ESPN The Magazine on the set of a Subway commercial he was shooting in Los Angeles.

The former USC running back and 2005 Heisman Trophy winner has been wearing that jersey number since high school. NFL rules, however, don't allow for running backs to take that number -- 33 years ago the league adopted a numbering system to make it easier for officials to differentiate players by position.

Under the rule, quarterbacks, punters and placekickers wear numbers 1 through 19. Running backs and defensive backs are assigned 20 through 49, while wide receivers and tight ends are given numbers 80 through 89.

Two years ago, due to the increasing amount of retired numbers and more wide receivers and tight ends coming into the league, the NFL allowed those position players to wear either 10-19 or 80-89. A number of wide receivers have been wearing lower-numbered jerseys since, among them Larry Fitzgerald of Arizona (11), Plaxico Burress of New York and Braylon Edwards of Cleveland (17), Randy Moss of Oakland (18) and Troy Williamson of Minnesota (19).

Bush wants to push it one step further to stick with No. 5.

"I think someone else was able to get their number changed, but even if they turn me down I think it's worth a try," Bush said.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to comment on Bush's plan to petition the league, though history is working against him. In 2004, running back Edgerrin James talked to the NFL about letting him wearing No. 5, which he had worn in Pop Warner, high school and at the University of Miami, but he was reportedly rebuffed.

Jersey numbers have turned into a big business. Players routinely have paid thousands of dollars for a jersey of their liking.

There has even been a lawsuit -- two years ago, Ifeanyi Ohalete agreed to sell No. 26 to his new Washington Redskins teammate Clinton Portis for $40,000. But Ohalete, who was released from the team before the season, sued after Portis didn't pay him half of the fee. The two eventually reached a settlement worth $18,000.

Bush has extra incentive to try to land No. 5. His Subway commercial, which debuted on Monday, encourages fans to "get inside No. 5" and features that number throughout the spot.

If Bush could somehow convince the league to allow him to wear No. 5, he's in luck if he gets drafted by the Houston Texans. No player on the team currently wears that number.

Said Bush: "If I have to pick a new number, I have no idea what it would be."

http://sports.espn.go.com/
I can see sales at West Hollywood Subways doing very well. NTTAWWT.

BTW, didn't Keyshawn choose #19 before the official change? Something about the 80-89 numbers all being taken?

Users who are viewing this thread