What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Chad Pennington have accepted the pay cut ? (1 Viewer)

Would you have accepted the Pennington pay cut?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Team Legacy

Footballguy
Let's all not forget this is the same CHAD PENNINGTON who offered a pay cut to sign Lav Coles back.

Herm Edwards was solely responsible for rushing him back in the fray before he was ready and now they're ready to abandon him???

I don't think I've ever been more disgusted with team ownership.

This is wrong of the organization to ask him to do that.

Basically, "You can make up the other $9 mil IF you earn it back in passing incentives."

If I'm Chad Pennington, NO WAY would I accept that deal. There's no guarantee they don't draft a QB or trade for one and not let him see the field..

This is just dirty and another reason to not be a fan of the New York Jets.

The Jets would be crazy to offer anything more. 2 season ending shoulder surgeries when his arm strength was in question before that. I think Chad has been a great personality for the Jets, but it's a buisness and I don't see Chad ever coming back to play a full season. Time to move on.

He accepted it?!!! You know what I bet... I bet he said "okay, but you have to sign an under the table deal saying you won't draft a QB in the first or second round next year... that'd be cool.

I expect Chad back in 2007.

Last edited:
He took $23M of the team's money and missed closed to 50% of the games!

loyalty wise - he has not "earned" $23M in my opnion and should work with the team

business wise - he will not get a better deal anywhere - vet minimum without the huge incentives the Jets will give him.

I believe he may never play again so maybe he is taking his stance to cash in and start his coaching career. NO QB has ever returned from 2 such surgeries - and this is a guy with a weak arm to begin with! It's over

loyalty wise - he has not "earned" $23M in my opnion and should work with the team

business wise - he will not get a better deal anywhere - vet minimum without the huge incentives the Jets will give him.

I believe he may never play again so maybe he is taking his stance to cash in and start his coaching career. NO QB has ever returned from 2 such surgeries - and this is a guy with a weak arm to begin with! It's over
:thumbup: time to draft a qb

I believe he may never play again so maybe he is taking his stance to cash in and start his coaching career.  NO QB has ever returned from 2 such surgeries - and this is a guy with a weak arm to begin with!  It's over
I now am convinced the Jets will draft either Young or Cutler - depending on which way Ten goes.

What happened to all those guys that said "a contract is a contract" when players have held out in the past? Now you're jumping ship and saying it's ok to pay a guy less because he has under-performed. I do not think Penny should take the pay cut (again).

I believe he may never play again so maybe he is taking his stance to cash in and start his coaching career.  NO QB has ever returned from 2 such surgeries - and this is a guy with a weak arm to begin with!  It's over
I now am convinced the Jets will draft either Young or Cutler - depending on which way Ten goes.
It sounds like most Jet fans think Cutler will be they're next qb.

What happened to all those guys that said "a contract is a contract" when players have held out in the past? Now you're jumping ship and saying it's ok to pay a guy less because he has under-performed. I do not think Penny should take the pay cut (again).
The Jets really don't have a choice. Pennington does

sweet avatar! :popcorn:

I ain't reporting it if you aren't.

i wasnt,but now its gone :( shouldnt have opened my big mouth

What happened to all those guys that said "a contract is a contract" when players have held out in the past?  Now you're jumping ship and saying it's ok to pay a guy less because he has under-performed.  I do not think Penny should take the pay cut (again).
Damn! it was love at first sight

:sadbanana:

Should he have? No. He signed a deal with the team, and the team wants to go back on the deal. Pennington doesn't have to accept it, but he knows that if he doesn't, he'll be released. So it's a matter of whether he thinks he can make more $$ elsewhere, or whether he should remain in NY and accept less $$.

If a player asks/demands more $$, we usually fault him for that. Why's it a double standard when the team wants them to accept a pay cut?

Should he have? No. He signed a deal with the team, and the team wants to go back on the deal. Pennington doesn't have to accept it, but he knows that if he doesn't, he'll be released. So it's a matter of whether he thinks he can make more $$ elsewhere, or whether he should remain in NY and accept less $$.

If a player asks/demands more $$, we usually fault him for that. Why's it a double standard when the team wants them to accept a pay cut?
I don't think we always fault someone for asking for more money. It depends on each individual case

I think in almost every thread I'v seen about a player trying to holdout or use leverage to increase his deal, at least one person comes on with the "If he didnt like his original contract, he didnt have to sign" schtick.

This story just shows its a business, and it works both ways. Contracts arent gauranteed, and you take what you can get when you can, cause if the unfortunate happens, the team will do the same to you.

If I were Pennington, I accept that in a heartbeat. $1M is better than $0M

He's not going to sign anything with another team above vet min, and he may not even get a salary this year. Big mistake by Pennington.

I agree it's terrible to lose $9M, but knowing that he'd be cut anyway... like the poster above said, you take what you can get.

The Jets have a choice each and every year, Pennington does not...NFL contracts are NOT guarenteed. It's essentially a series of one year contracts, not a long term deal. The only thing that's guarenteed is the signing bonus, and the Jets would have to eat a large portion of it this year if they cut Pennington.I don't blame any NFL player for getting all that they can, the Teams certainly user the contracts to their advantage, the players who can do so should do the same...

Pennington signed a $64 million, seven-year deal two years ago. He is expected to have a salary cap number close to $12 million this season, including a $3 million roster bonus due in March. Even if the Jets cut him, they would take a salary hit of about $10 million because of the prorated salary cap.

According to Newsday, the Jets, who will be more than $20 million over the cap this season, don't want to pay the $3 million bonus and are concerned about Pennington's right shoulder injury and whether his arm will return to full strength.
So the guy rushes back and ruins his arm for the team...now the team wants to screw him out of bonus money. Too damn bad for the Jets, they knew the risks before they signed him to the deal...

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to all those guys that said "a contract is a contract" when players have held out in the past?  Now you're jumping ship and saying it's ok to pay a guy less because he has under-performed.  I do not think Penny should take the pay cut (again).
The Jets have a choice each and every year, Pennington does not...NFL contracts are NOT guarenteed. It's essentially a series of one year contracts, not a long term deal. The only thing that's guarenteed is the signing bonus, and the Jets would have to eat a large portion of it this year if they cut Pennington.I don't blame any NFL player for getting all that they can, the Teams certainly user the contracts to their advantage, the players who can do so should do the same...
I don't think the Jets have a choice in regards to keeping him at his current salary. I believe they are currently 26million over the cap

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the Jets have a choice in regards to keeping him at his current salary. I believe they are currently 26million over the cap
Then they have to cut him and take the cap hit...it's a business decision, nothing more. Trying to bully players into bailing the team out of their financial mistakes is a typical NFL tactic...nobody held a gun to either sides head during the negotions.Pennington deserves the compensation that he negotiated..his career is possibly over and the Jets certainly aren't going to help him out. They got themselves into this situation, they can get responsible and bail thjemselves out.

Then they have to cut him and take the cap hit..
completely agree

FWIW...

I read in a NY paper today that the only coach who feels that Pennington is a starting QB is now in Kansas City.

If I'm Chad Pennington, NO WAY would I accept that deal. There's no guarantee they don't draft a QB or trade for one and not let him see the field..
Note your second sentence is a mil for doing nothing. Some would say it's the NFL's version of severance pay

I thought this clown was supposed to be the next Joe Montana. I don't know how he ever got his original deal in the first place when he hadn't proven **** in the NFL. When healthy (which isn't often), he never did anything to impress me and a lot of other people. He was annointed before he ever arrived. Piss poor Jets management decision.

Users who are viewing this thread