What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should I veto this trade? (1 Viewer)

Should I veto?

• Yes

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 36.4%

• Total voters

Andrew74

Footballguy
Guys I could use some advice here. I am a commish in a DYNASTY league and this came across my desk this morning. 12 team, 0.5 PPR, start 1/2/3/1.

The following trade is awaiting your review:

The Brute Squad gave up:

Green-Ellis, BenJarvus CIN RB

Holmes, Santonio NYJ WR

Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR

Year 2014 Round 2 Draft Pick from The Brute Squad

Year 2014 Round 3 Draft Pick from The Brute Squad

Year 2014 Round 4 Draft Pick from The Brute Squad

Year 2014 Round 5 Draft Pick from The Brute Squad

The Pat's Camera Crew gave up:

McCoy, LeSean PHI RB

Gordon, Josh CLE WR

Given the league structure the 4th and 5th are mostly worthless (we are actually voting this week to cut the draft to 3 rounds). The guy trading McCoy is a game out of the division lead and 4th in playoff seeding. He's valued McCoy very highly. As an example, just last week he told me that he didn't think my offer of Martin+Pierce+1st (which looks to be 3-6) was enough for McCoy himself. My first thought is he is leaving the league. The guy he is trading with is a good friend of his. Is there something here?

EDIT to add: in the 8 year history of the league I have never considered vetoing a trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one ugly trade. I would not even consider that mess for McCoy and Gordon. They are both far too young to be shopped out like this. Still, that's tough to veto.

If there is legitimate concern the guy giving up McCoy & Gordon might leave after this season there is no way that trade can be allowed. It doesn't really makes sense to throw in the towel if he's in the hunt for the money, though. If I'm planning to leave a league I'd rather walk off the the loot.

Consider attaching a clause to the rules that trades including future draft picks require a payment for the next season.

Ask both sides to explain the trade. If the guy trading away McCoy/Gordon tries to sell it as a legit trade, I'd ask him if he's willing to send next year's league fees before you'll gladly put it through. (Tell him you've heard he may be leaving the league).

It's strange that a team in contention would sabotage himself even if he wasn't coming back though. Maybe its just a ridiculously bad trade, as unlikely as that seems. He doesn't help himself this year or in the future.

Yes of course you should veto it.

And don't listen to all of these ranting and raving idiots who are about to show up and tell you to "never veto a trade" and "unless you can prove collusion" and "blah blah blah" !!!!!!!

Any competitive league would not even consider letting this go through.

Finish out the year and look for a replacement for The Pat's Camera Crew

And don't forget the best reason why this trade should stand ...

Maybe The Pat's Camera Crew owner is just a big fan of Green-Ellis, Holmes, and Maclin and that's why he is making the trade

Ask both sides to explain the trade. If the guy trading away McCoy/Gordon tries to sell it as a legit trade, I'd ask him if he's willing to send next year's league fees before you'll gladly put it through. (Tell him you've heard he may be leaving the league).

It's strange that a team in contention would sabotage himself even if he wasn't coming back though. Maybe its just a ridiculously bad trade, as unlikely as that seems. He doesn't help himself this year or in the future.
Ditto...if he is in contention, he risks losing $$...I've never really witnessed someone who is in contention try to ruin their chances like that on purpose. Which place is the team he is trading with in? That may shed some light.

Ditto...if he is in contention, he risks losing $$...I've never really witnessed someone who is in contention try to ruin their chances like that on purpose. Which place is the team he is trading with in? That may shed some light.
The team trading McCoy is the 5th seed currently and the one receiving him is the 4th seed.

So he decided to package him up with a super young WR that seems to be breaking out in a big way and give both away for pennies in return? :rolleyes:

If it walks like a duck . . .

Consider attaching a clause to the rules that trades including future draft picks require a payment for the next season.
In Dynasty, one year payment might still not be enough if an owner severely screws up their team.

We also have a rule limiting the number of draft picks you can be plus or minus for any given draft. It helps prevent the end-of-season fire sales by teams out of contention (Ours is redraft; I know the OP is in a dynasty league.)

Finish out the year and look for a replacement for The Pat's Camera Crew
I really think that this is vital and terrific advice. No way should this guy be in the league going forward unless he is a family member or in-law.

Guys I could use some advice here. I am a commish in a DYNASTY league and this came across my desk this morning. 12 team, 0.5 PPR, start 1/2/3/1.

The Brute Squad gave up:

Holmes, Santonio NYJ WR

Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR

McCoy, LeSean PHI RB

Gordon, Josh CLE WR

Given the league structure the 4th and 5th are mostly worthless (we are actually voting this week to cut the draft to 3 rounds). The guy trading McCoy is a game out of the division lead and 4th in playoff seeding. He's valued McCoy very highly. As an example, just last week he told me that he didn't think my offer of Martin+Pierce+1st (which looks to be 3-6) was enough for McCoy himself. My first thought is he is leaving the league. The guy he is trading with is a good friend of his. Is there something here?

EDIT to add: in the 8 year history of the league I have never considered vetoing a trade.
So he wants to be knocked out of the playoff picture? Giant red flag right there.

He told me to my face he was trying to better his playoff odds and that he had no better offers. I tried not to laugh at the first and told him he was wrong on the latter.

That's rubbish. You made the right call.

Feel free to bump this next season when he vanishes. lol

Update and a question.

Update - the guy put it out for league vote, then within hour backed off and said he didn't want a vote. So the veto stood. Very strange. The guy ended up 3rd seed and advanced last week. His team is rocking. He still claims, as I hear through the grapevine, that he thought it was a good move for him. Some of the other owners have been busting him hard given Gordon's performance. I have considered kicking him out but it is mostly a work league and doing so might be more of a headache than letting him stay.

Question - I love to trade and have talked to him about McCoy the past 2 years and Gordon since season's start. What do I do now? I feel like I can't even talk trade with him about these two guys anymore. Never been in this situation.

Update and a question.

Update - the guy put it out for league vote, then within hour backed off and said he didn't want a vote. So the veto stood. Very strange. The guy ended up 3rd seed and advanced last week. His team is rocking. He still claims, as I hear through the grapevine, that he thought it was a good move for him. Some of the other owners have been busting him hard given Gordon's performance. I have considered kicking him out but it is mostly a work league and doing so might be more of a headache than letting him stay.

Question - I love to trade and have talked to him about McCoy the past 2 years and Gordon since season's start. What do I do now? I feel like I can't even talk trade with him about these two guys anymore. Never been in this situation.
Honestly, I would never join a league with people from work and view being the commish in a league like that as torture.A dynasty league is just icing on the cake.

Work leagues always sound cool, then you do them, and WOW. No fun, and you get to see how dumb your co-workers are.

Being a commish of that hot mess of garbage??? eech

It's going to be pretty weird if you veto a trade for McCoy and then try to trade for McCoy.

Work leagues always sound cool, then you do them, and WOW. No fun, and you get to see how dumb your co-workers are.

Being a commish of that hot mess of garbage??? eech
this is what i think also.

i've even done elimnator pools at work and its a joke cause there is always some knucklehead that is:

a) out when its time to pick

b) picks a team twice

c) makes excuse and tries to wait until sunday at 12:59 to pick

d) want back in after their team loses in week 1

It's going to be pretty weird if you veto a trade for McCoy and then try to trade for McCoy.
Yes. Unfortuantely you probably need to stay far away from those two players.

Based on what you've said though, it seems like the guy legitimately thought the trade was a good one for him - strange.

Update:

In our league draft, if you have a full roster you have to cut someone in order to draft a player. The Gordon owner is up at 3.09 and decides to cut Gordon. Then picks up Charles Johnson. Seemed very odd. I know teams in the league had sent offers (2nd and 3 rounders, etc), so to just cut him seemed a waste.

But then I realized the person picking at 3.10 was the guy he tried to trade with last year. So his trade partner got Gordon for free.

Update:

In our league draft, if you have a full roster you have to cut someone in order to draft a player. The Gordon owner is up at 3.09 and decides to cut Gordon. Then picks up Charles Johnson. Seemed very odd. I know teams in the league had sent offers (2nd and 3 rounders, etc), so to just cut him seemed a waste.

But then I realized the person picking at 3.10 was the guy he tried to trade with last year. So his trade partner got Gordon for free.
So.... collusion.

Update:

So.... collusion.
Clearly collusion... not even a question about it. I'd reverse the last two picks and the drop of Gordon and get a new owner in his place. I understand he could 'make an argument' that Gordon may never play again. But anyone who has watched more than 20 minutes of football in the past season would tell you that you're not dropping Gordon under any circumstances. Especially not for Charles Johnson. The ONLY way I'd say this wasn't collusion would be if the rest of his team is chock full of studs and Gordon was the only guy he could reasonably cut because it's short rosters and he needs someone that will play this year. And even then, I'd still probably boot him from the league just for ruining league competition value.

Update:

So.... collusion.
Clearly collusion... not even a question about it. I'd reverse the last two picks and the drop of Gordon and get a new owner in his place. I understand he could 'make an argument' that Gordon may never play again. But anyone who has watched more than 20 minutes of football in the past season would tell you that you're not dropping Gordon under any circumstances. Especially not for Charles Johnson. The ONLY way I'd say this wasn't collusion would be if the rest of his team is chock full of studs and Gordon was the only guy he could reasonably cut because it's short rosters and he needs someone that will play this year. And even then, I'd still probably boot him from the league just for ruining league competition value.
Well, he did need to hang on to Lance Dunbar, Jordan Todman, and Brian Quick.

At this point I don't think I can do anything. I would guess maybe 1 or 2 other people in the league might be upset about this, but there were many in the league last year that didn't think the trade was an issue. The best thing about this is I took the advice of Flying Elvis and modified the bylaws to allow the commissioner to require multiple years of dues to process a trade if the commish feels it is in the best interest of the league. I gotta feeling I'm going to be using that this year with this guy.

Update:

So.... collusion.

At this point I don't think I can do anything. I would guess maybe 1 or 2 other people in the league might be upset about this, but there were many in the league last year that didn't think the trade was an issue. The best thing about this is I took the advice of Flying Elvis and modified the bylaws to allow the commissioner to require multiple years of dues to process a trade if the commish feels it is in the best interest of the league. I gotta feeling I'm going to be using that this year with this guy.
Yeah... if I was in that league and watched the guy drop Gordon with Brian Quick and Jordan Todman on the team I'd probably up and quit.

Update:

So.... collusion.

Yeah... if I was in that league and watched the guy drop Gordon with Brian Quick and Jordan Todman on the team I'd probably up and quit.
One of us would have to go. Commish's choice - if he doesn't go, I'd be out.

Wow, I was reading this post and was leaning towards this being veto worthy. Then I realized that this is from last year before the Gordon news came out! It sounds to me like these 2 guys are much closer with each other than the rest of the guys in the league and don't really care much about the league. Why would the guy drop Gordon when he had offers of a second or 3rd round pick for him? Why wouldn't he trade McCoy to you for a haul? Why wouldn't he at least have traded Gordon for the guys 3.10?! It just sounds like these guys aren't really into it, owner 1 is being very lax and not trying to use critical thinking and strategy to build and improve his team, he's obviously not into it and doesn't care about the league. Owner 2 is his best friend and might or might not be offering him half of his winnings to trade him his best players, or owner 1 could just be doing him a favor since he doesn't give 2 ####s about fantasy football. Dynasty is for those who are obsessed, owner 1 belongs in a free redraft league composed of auto drafters. I'd kick both of them out of the league and reverse the draft picks. If it's going to interfere with work then I might just say #### it and let it go since you have to go to your job everyday and there are other dynasty leagues you can join/start, but the way owner 1 is handling his team and the way he and owner 2 interact is unfair, rude, and unhealthy for the rest of the league. Frankly, it's flat out bull####. I expect this kind of behavior from kids, not from adults.

The Brute Squad gave up:

Holmes, Santonio NYJ WR

Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR

McCoy, LeSean PHI RB

Gordon, Josh CLE WR

I can't believe this league is still going after 8 years. :yawn:

Users who are viewing this thread